This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie
    There has also been a number of loyal fans that left the series when RDA left.
    Ive held off speculation that RDA was the reason for S10's declining ratings, but this does add more speculation. Id be highly interested to see the ratings for the Return Part 1 and 2 for Atlantis - and his later appearances on S10 SG1's final episodes.

Being a Pro season 10 person im biased, but maybe theyre is a connection to RDA's appearances and the ratings. And if so - theyre isn't a lot any network SG-1 ends up on - can do about it.
    Its not about whos right or wrong its about the debate!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      The numbers were low BEFORE 200 and they're dropping back down after. Why does this surprise everyone?
      the show's not as popular as it used to be. *that's* what the ratings are saying, which started declining last season.

and no, i'm not happy this is happening. I WANT MY SG1 OF SEASONS 1-8 BACK!

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Callista
        They do have to pay MGM for it though and MGM is going to pass their costs along.
        Of course they are; this is the business side of Show Business... SciFi don't get it for free!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          I WANT MY SG1 OF SEASONS 1-8 BACK!
          I want SG-1 back be it seasons 1-8 style or seasons 9-10. I always held the belief that EVEN if s9 was not that good due to the new transition it was going to settle down and get back to its old self if given time to adjust. Which I believe happened or was in the process of it. Proof, many (not all) of the hardcore fans who did not like s9 are now feeling s10 is getting better and is improving. As for me I liked all seasons of SG1 and SGA.

Comment

SG-1 was always going to move back to the original spot it only vacated to give space for BSG, because the 9pm slot is a good solid money making slot. (After dinner, before bed).

Sci Fi didn't move Stargate: SG-1 to a position in competition with Monk, Monk moved to a position in competition with SG-1. To have moved SG-1 from the spot it ruled for years just because it gets a bit of competition this year is as good as Sci Fi saying; we know the show is a dud, and it isn't good enough to hold its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble
              I disagree with just about everything you've said on this subject. Stations tend NOT to advertise the heck out of their old programs — they do advertise the heck out of new programs. You can advertise a show up the kazoo, but if a viewer doesn't like the show, he/she is not going to continue to watch it. The writing certainly is an important part; clearly not everyone thinks like you do in terms of the quality of the show.
              I'm trying to think back to the days of Must See TV Thursdays. Anyone else remember that? Didn't NBC advertise Friends, Mad About You, and Seinfeld, heavily? Those were older shows at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel
                They mentioned that the ratings were low, but never said it was the reason they cancelled the show. They said they felt like it was time to cancel it.
                Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                Maybe because they didn't want to wait around to see the ratings get even lower?
                it actually makes (business) sense to cancel the show. since it arrived on the scifi network, the ratings steadily increased. expept for season nine. and then season 10 went down. but, the cost of doing this show's went up steadily too. scifi's not making *enough* money on it anymore.

maybe ptb will have to let someone(s) go, but knowing the way things go now, boris and natasha will keep their jobs, but the 10 year veterans will lose it.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

D'oh
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                    I'm trying to think back to the days of Must See TV Thursdays. Anyone else remember that? Didn't NBC advertise Friends, Mad About You, and Seinfeld, heavily? Those were older shows at that point.
                    The only Friends commercials I remember are those before and during the first season. I dont think I ever saw a Cheers commercial or a Night Court. Cant recall a Mad about you one either... maybe a Sienfeld.

Admittedly I have a bad memory, odd that I clearly remember the friends commercial before it was on. But thats because based on the commercial I would not have watched the show and didnt watch it until I accidently caught an ep in season 2. Odd.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      maybe ptb will have to let someone(s) go, but knowing the way things go now, boris and natasha will keep their jobs, but the 10 year veterans will lose it.
                      Not necessarily, well if they rename the series then all old contracts are off and they start anew as if it is a different series. That means all actors will get a pay cut, going down to the same production costs as Atlantis.

Erm who is boris and natasha, BB and CB?

I wonder if we all here agree on one thing, do we all agree that an Earth based Stargate series needs to be on the air?

Sure some would want it to be in the form of an 11th season SG-1 as is, others would want to see the story continued in a new series, etc. but do we all agree the stargate universe needs TWO series one in Earth the other in Atlantis? That is one thing I wish to know.

Comment

Yeah, well, let clarify what I meant: Carter fans who are also Mitchell haters, the ones who feel that seasons 9 and 10 have bad ratings because of Mitchell and Vala.
                        really? i don't like season 9/10 because IMO it was badly written for all the characters, horrible plot lines, boring villains, no realistic interaction. i like vala, though i do dislike mitchell. huh. i must not be a sam fan...

...:universe implodes:
                        Originally posted by Jonzey
                        I'm a casual viewer of a lot of shows (X Files when it was on, Scrubs, 24, Lost...) and I occasionally go online and see people saying how the shows have really gone downhill. And my first thought it ''have they? I hadn't noticed''
                        i have many a show like this. but (in some cases at least) it works the other way. i enjoy the shows, but i'm not overly critical, i don't go online, etc. but if they start making changes i don't like and "screwing up" the attitude and direction of the show, i'll just stop watching. with stargate, as screwed as it gets, i don't stop watching.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

But YOU dont know why the ratings are dropping EITHER. just because YOU may not like the direction of the show, doesnt mean that the low ratings are because people dont like it. And I never said that everything in the world has to make sense to me, and dying children, etc, has nothing to do with this thread, so please stick to the topic.
                          I don't think that there is any one cause for the ratings drop. So far, Season Ten is averaging ratings of 1.514 compared to Season Eight's average of 2.065 for the full season (2.114 for the first seven episodes). This translates to a loss of over seven hundred thousand viewers, even more if you want to compare the averages for eps 10.01-10.07 with the averages for 8.01-8.07.

With so many people no longer watching, it is unlikely that there is any single cause. Some may have taken an interest in another show, some may have trouble remembering when the show is on without advertising. Some may simply no longer be free to watch the show live when it is shown.

Others, however, may have stopped watching the show because of the changes made to the show. It might be that the show has lost something they once liked (RDA/Jack, the Goa'uld, the Replicators), that it has gained something they do not like (Ben Browder/Mitchell, Beau Bridges/Landry, Claudia Black/Vala, the Ori), a combination of both or another change entirely.

We know that according to the ratings fewer people are watching the show, but short of tracking down everyone who has stopped watching and taking a poll, we can't know why.

I don't think that the changes made in Seasons Nine and Ten, in terms of characters, storylines or writing, bear all the blame for the ratings drop but I do think that they are responsible for some of it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Fan10023
                            Not necessarily, well if they rename the series then all old contracts are off and they start anew as if it is a different series. That means all actors will get a pay cut, going down to the same production costs as Atlantis.
                            But would all the actors be okay with a pay cut? Maybe, maybe not.

Comment

Now I believe that SciFi is controlling the ratings.
                              If they had that much control, wouldn't they make all their ratings higher?

After all, High ratings = high ad revenue. Ad revenue is more important that anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                                Recently I watched a two hour movie (non-Stargate related) on Sci-Fi and guess what I saw in those two hours:

About 5 commercials for the new Eureka episode
                                5-6 promos for Wrestling programs
                                6, thats right, SIX promos for "Who Wants to be a Superhero"

And how many promos for Stargate you say?: ZERO as far as I saw

Really ticks me off the way Sci-Fi's treating the franchise these days.
                                What night of the week was this movie on?

If it was the Saturday movie, it would makes sense that they advertise the programming that comes on soonest. Eureka and wrestling--Tuesday. Superhero--Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X