Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help save Stargate Video games (Worlds and Resistance)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You two above missed the point. Stargate first of all is not considered a "classic" like star wars and star trek. is there a farscape or firefly game? nope. theres BSG but thats because its popular to a mainstream level. No one knows anything about stargate, no one cares. No one is gonna dip into 10 years of SG-1 stories and get the canon right just to please the very few Stargate fan gamers. Even though the idea of a Stargate device in a game is cool if done right, everything else will not be revolutionary for non-stargate fans.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
      You two above missed the point. Stargate first of all is not considered a "classic" like star wars and star trek. is there a farscape or firefly game? nope. theres BSG but thats because its popular to a mainstream level. No one knows anything about stargate, no one cares. No one is gonna dip into 10 years of SG-1 stories and get the canon right just to please the very few Stargate fan gamers. Even though the idea of a Stargate device in a game is cool if done right, everything else will not be revolutionary for non-stargate fans.
      There is a farscape game, it was quite good for it's time although short. Also how many people who play games would not know what stargate is?

Comment

Would've been nice if there were a Firefly game (think along the lines of WC: Privateer or Freelancer, w/ an FPS,TPS,or TBS RPG element).
        As for the Farscape game...gah, I really should get the copy that's gathering dust on the local game store...if only just to add to my ever-growing collection of Farscape stuff.

I'd agree w/ some of Dune's points: SG isn't a 'classic', at least in as much as ST or SW (not in terms of quality, I guess, but more in fan-base size, as well as amount of material and duration: both ST and SW have been out for more than 3 decades, after all).

As for the "No one is gonna dip into 10 years of SG-1 stories and get the canon right just to please the very few Stargate fan gamers" bit: that's up to whoever will finance the game, as well as the devs. The problem being: who will shell out cash for a stargate game to be made? esp. after what happened to SG:R and SG:W...

As for dune's last point, I kinda have to agree as well. IMHO, that's why an SG game made now shouldn't just be a 'regular' game (e.g., a straight-out shooter like many mainstream titles), but something that can 'grab' people's attention. Something 'multi-genre', perhaps? (hehehe, I'd love to see a well-made mix of a Third or first-person shooter RPG, w/ grand strategy elements, and tactical space battles: everything from a Tel'tak, to a 302, to a 304 or Ha'tak. Emphasis on 'well-made'. Otherwise, it'll be just another "TV/Movie game" that critics will bash Again: the problem is cash and picking who to make it )
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          You chose the worst two examples. As people have said there was a Farscape game and there was a Firefly game in development though I believe it got canned. Developers will be attracted to any franchise that has fans and that they can make games for, scifi universe like Farscape, Firefly and Stargate are brilliant universes for game developers ripe for multiple genres of games to be developed out of them. The problem arises that these are smaller franchises, so smaller developers work on them, the big boys aren't interested. Smaller less experienced, less well financed developers increases the risk and therefore the failure rate, which is the problem stargate games have at the moment.

Comment

Working...
          X