Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Hiveships/Wraith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
    why must the lanteans be benevolent victims
    I may sound naive but let's at least have truly good people in our fiction. The real word is crass enough like that.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

well, the way the sga lore goes the lanteans sound more corrupt and arrogant
      and genocidal (asuran project)
      R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

I figure it's pretty likely that the Lanteans attempted genocide on the Wraith at some point. They did it without hesitation to the Asurans, their own deliberate creations, simply because they were afraid of what they might potentially become. If they're willing to uncork the old genocide bottle in that case it's hard to imagine them not doing it in the case of an enemy force that's been persistently kicking their ass for a century and is about to wipe them out.

Then you've got the fact that Stargate loves to depict the total genocide of the enemy as the only means of being able to defeat them in a war.

Goa'uld
        Ori
        Replicators
        Asurans
        Wraith (attempted)

Comment

there you go
          attero device wouldve eventually wiped out the wraith if they didnt stop it
          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Yeah, and the only reason they did apparently stop it was because they couldn't stomach the human collateral damage. In other words they'd already set their minds to wiping out the Wraith and even built the machine to try and do it.

I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't have worked as the 100% perfect deathblow it was talked up as though. It would have been a hefty one yes, but it's not like a race of interstellarly telepathic creatures aren't going to notice fairly quickly that entire shipfulls of their kind suddenly stop existing when their ships go into hyperspace all of a sudden.

Once they're on to it it's just a matter of altering their drives to get around whatever makes them different from ancient ones and allows this thing to explode them. That would odinarily be a pretty insurmountable issue in itself if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere with no spare parts or drydock, but with an organic ship that grows and regenerates components for itself and a hivemind to compare notes through it's a lot less of one.

The Aterro device would probably allow the ancients to blow up a lot of stranded Wraith ships and retake some of what they lost before the Wraith cracked the problem and things resumed as usual. Unless they deployed the thing really early it wouldn't win them the war by itself though. The episode gave the impression, from what I remember, that it was some sort of last ditch hail mary type deal anyway so by that point the ancients were probably already more of less done.

Comment

if they still had the pre-asuran nanovirus they could fire it into some of the stranded ships and program it to activate when more of them group together in a fleet
              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

They should have tried directly hacking into their telepathic network. If only they had Teyla...
                La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Teyla was literally mind raped, twice.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

how exactly can the unborn son help her in the wraith abilities...the telepathic brain thing must develop awfully quickly in the fetus
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Because the less Wraith DNA you have the naturally better you become at using Wraith telepathy of course. The fact Teyla was even able to conceal information from that drugged up hivequeen was stretching credibility for me. She's got so little Wraith DNA actually in her make up that you need a sophisticated scan to even tell it's there at all. Her telepathic abilities should amount to the occasional "I got a bad feeling about this guy" or maybe being able to sense that Wraith are around, not holding off psychic attacks from 10,000 year old professional purebloods for any length of time.

The fetus being some sort of psychic prodigy when its likely not even in possession of half a fully formed brain yet also takes things beyond the mere basic stupidity you come to expect from the deus ex machinas in SGA.

Comment

how big is a lantean ship compared to a hive
                        Last edited by asdf1239; 22 April 2010, 11:58 AM.
                        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          Because the less Wraith DNA you have the naturally better you become at using Wraith telepathy of course. The fact Teyla was even able to conceal information from that drugged up hivequeen was stretching credibility for me. She's got so little Wraith DNA actually in her make up that you need a sophisticated scan to even tell it's there at all. Her telepathic abilities should amount to the occasional "I got a bad feeling about this guy" or maybe being able to sense that Wraith are around, not holding off psychic attacks from 10,000 year old professional purebloods for any length of time.

The fetus being some sort of psychic prodigy when its likely not even in possession of half a fully formed brain yet also takes things beyond the mere basic stupidity you come to expect from the deus ex machinas in SGA.
                          Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                          how big is a lantean ship compared to a hive anyway
                          Cook Time: 30 minutes
                          Total Time: 30 minutes
                          Ingredients:
                          • 3 cups diced cooked potatoes
                          • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
                          • 3 tablespoons flour
                          • 1 1/2 cups milk
                          • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
                          • salt and pepper
                          • 1 cup soft bread crumbs

Preparation:
                          Potatoes au gratin recipe.

Place potatoes in a shallow, broilerproof baking dish. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter. Remove 3 tablespoons of butter to a cup or bowl; set aside. To the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan, add flour. Stir to blend well; gradually stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over potatoes in baking dish; mix gently. Place bread crumbs in a bowl; drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter; toss to coat. Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs evenly over potatoes. Bake potatoes au gratin at 400° for about 15 minutes to heat through, then broil until golden brown. Recipe for potatoes au gratin serves 4.

Comment

theres no reason why 2 conversations cant go on at the same time in one thread
                            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

It's the "anyway", it puzzled me. Never mind, I was being facetious.
                              Besides, the recipe above is a good one.

Comment

why is the hive ship so thin compared to its width and length? wouldnt this make it...brittle?
                                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                                X