Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Hiveships/Wraith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it does seem to have a lot of open cavernous spaces
    it would probably need the reduction in weight in order to handle well in atmosphere and on planets
    whats the best estimate of the size
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
      And seeing the general similarities between SG1 and SGA, I guess that at some point we will have among the Wraith the equivalent of Ra or Anubis i.e a guy who no longer bows to a Queen but will make her bow to him. Todd failed to do that principally because of a variety of reasons.
      well i i dont think the other wraith would stand for that. the queens supremacy in the hierarchy isnt just a charisma or tradition thing, it appears to be a biological imperative in most wraiths.
      R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Todd is the king of his hive. they follow him, and he has no queen.

also, we've never seen a hive land or take off.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Even the first one in The Rising took off without anyone seeing it. I often wonder if we've ever seen it again.

But well back to the subject, I suppose it because the queens are the source of each factions like with the Tok'ra. Once she is lost it must mean the end for the group since defection doesn't seem to exist among them.

Todd and Michael changed this by choosing to be queen-free (and looking for non-conventional ways to extend their hive). And I guess that if we could increase queen population and have well classic hetero-sexual relationships among them, that would result in the end of their supremacy. It's either that or capturing different queens and forcing them to make mixed-blood Wraith and unite the whole race.
          La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
          L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

todd is NOT the KING of his hive he is only a commander and the only reason his "troops" follow him is that they believe he has a queen ie Teyla.

actually you are (sort of) wrong yet again we have seen a hive land or atleast half a hive and i didnt really land as much as chrash but still we have see it.

Comment

we saw half a hive crash, yes. how it didn't disintegrate on contact is still unknown to me. also, the sheer amount of maneuvering thrusters while we never saw them use them before puzzles me.

but anyway, any conventional landing has never happened, nor any conventional takeoff. it only seems to happen in really important moments, like when they go to sleep.

todd is NOT the KING of his hive he is only a commander and the only reason his "troops" follow him is that they believe he has a queen ie Teyla.
              a queen they never saw? the rest of todd's hive still followd him, didn't they?

Comment

todds hive is different
                TODD: Most Wraith seek to be ruled. They fear being without a Queen. I knew that if you presented yourself as a viable substitute, most of them would just fall in line.
                also the wraith are evolved from iratus insects which appraently have a eusocial structure with queens. it would be difficult to overcome that
                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

we saw half a hive crash, yes. how it didn't disintegrate on contact is still unknown to me. also, the sheer amount of maneuvering thrusters while we never saw them use them before puzzles me.

but anyway, any conventional landing has never happened, nor any conventional takeoff. it only seems to happen in really important moments, like when they go to sleep.

a queen they never saw? the rest of todd's hive still followd him, didn't they?
                  A HIVE is ORGANIC why should it shatter like glass just bc it crashes? i can agrre that the cgi for that particular scene was bad borderline very bad but i def see a hive surviving reentry as it is a pure organic ship hence the stress tolerance would be well beyond trinum naquadah and titaniumn as the organic nature of the ship allows for flex.

as for the reson why we havnt seen a hive take off i think that is due to the CG dep limitations and alll in all i dont think they could make it look good.

but his crew DID see teyla and his "faction" did have a queen that todd killed infront of teyla.
                  and stiull todd is NOT nor will he EVER be "king" of his hive.

Comment

The "King" we saw in "Sateda" seems to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                      The "King" we saw in "Sateda" seems to disagree.
                      That guy's interesting, must have been some kind of a renegade or something.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Wraith "King".

We saw in the Queen how even an extremely clever and capable male Wraith like Todd who's as old as the original ancient war couldn't get taken seriously by Wraith queens without a queen speaking for him. Todd is also the one that told us that female Wraith "create" warriors, along with McKay in one of those bugmen episodes saying something similar about how their reproduction isn't sexual.

I've actually wondered before why the Wraith species doesn't just exclusively create nothing but queens. If they can self replicate and do everything males can do the only compelling reason seems to be fear of competition. Queens would rather create scores of obedient slaves for themselves than equals. Also explains why Queens look down on males so much, especially lone or outcast ones. Talking to one is like talking to someone else's lost or discarded pet.

Comment

queens appear to act as the high political leaders of the hives making the most important decisions while male commanders handle more everyday decisions and lead the wraith in battle. thus their brains and personalities might be adapted differently. queens are also the only wraith capable of reproducing so its probably the males instincts to protect them.
                        Last edited by asdf1239; 03 April 2010, 03:54 PM.
                        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

A HIVE is ORGANIC why should it shatter like glass just bc it crashes? i can agrre that the cgi for that particular scene was bad borderline very bad but i def see a hive surviving reentry as it is a pure organic ship hence the stress tolerance would be well beyond trinum naquadah and titaniumn as the organic nature of the ship allows for flex.

as for the reson why we havnt seen a hive take off i think that is due to the CG dep limitations and alll in all i dont think they could make it look good.

but his crew DID see teyla and his "faction" did have a queen that todd killed infront of teyla.
                          and stiull todd is NOT nor will he EVER be "king" of his hive.
                          we're talking about a gargantuan construct. the potential energy would already outclass our most powerful fusion nuke. then meagre maneuvering thrusters manage to slow it enough to not desintegrate on contact?
                          granted the air resistance helped, but the nessecary resistance would've turned it to a fireball. which didn't happen either.

the engines needed for takeoff would have an effect worse than a nuke, and well, they'd probably scorch half the continent.

Comment

how big is a hive?
                            also air resistance friction doesnt seem to exist in stargate. in vegas a dart went into the atmosphere just fine
                            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

something like 11km long.
                              Which bring us back to that good joke : so much energy needed for simply moving the ship and they still need ZPMs for their cloning plants or the superhive.

Back at the beginning of the war, I could understand that the Wraith had just discovered space-travel and needed a more efficient powersource. They made bigger and bigger ships until they finally got the hives (acting as ark-ships too) and the middle-size cruisers and the smaller darts.

But now that they have a 11km ship, they still need a ZPM to make a uber superhive ship. Come on! Just put whatever drives you have on a hive directly on a cruiser. If necessary, reduce the size of the crew and the living quarters and dedicate the majority of space to weapons and stronger hulls.

And for god's sake, use ID codes and apply security measures.
                              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Inertial dampeners would go a long way towards solving the acceleration problem. That probably explains it.

Comment

Working...
                                X