Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Hiveships/Wraith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    mmm.

where are the ones of the Odyssey. cause that one had "advanced deflector shields" even though all shields are always absorber shields
    [1]
    [2]
    [3]

Hilariously wrong. Also check the hyperspace section.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
      [1]
      [2]
      [3]

Hilariously wrong. Also check the hyperspace section.
      Let's play spot the moron's mistakes:

Naqudaria enhanced thrusters
      X-303 class gliders
      Substituting in a pic of the Prometheus and calling it the rear view of the Odissey
      Laser weapons with the intensity of Asgard tehcnology, yep, those Greys sure have some intense tech.
      Apparently hyperspace travel puts the hull under "tremendous pressure", that whole section had me laughing on the floor for a solid 2 minutes.

Comment

which is why the stargate wiki shouldnt be using it as a source...according to it a wraith cruiser has shields and can carry 20 hives onboard [1]
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

lol wow

Comment

that megazine company should get shut down for such stupid sources lol

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
              which is why the stargate wiki shouldnt be using it as a source...according to it a wraith cruiser has shields and can carry 20 hives onboard [1]
              The majority of the guys posting in the wikia are completists. I told them, one year ago or more, that it was unwise to reference all the material they usually referenced.
              The canonical status of DVD supplements on the official DVD packs is an uncertain issue. For certain franchises, it could be considered safe to use such material. In other franchises, it would be strongly advised to ignore it. In Stargate, it's hard to say, but for the supplements, especially those featuring the characters of the show, it should be more than OK (hoping the writers don't contradict such facts, in which case the facts from the top canon will invalidate the data from the supplements).
              They also severely cite the DVD Collection, and as you can see on the page, it means they'll treat canonically even the most stupid nonsense such as a the Daedalus (or any other BC-304) to be shorter than a Nimitz-class super carrier. :/
              They also referecen the MGM Tech Journal drawings, which fans have noticed were crippled with errors on many points. The problem also comes from the principle of referencing sources which availability is extremely limited.
              The problem with the wikia guys is that they also use alderaac's RPG guides as a source, and that's not meshing very well with the show. Alderaac's rights have been finished eons ago, any of their material was largely expanding upon the void left by the show. The wikia is obviously the work of RPG enthusiasts to some extent, but it doesn't satisfy the demand of all fans.
              And perhaps worst of all, their page about the UVG -a source that's quite above all the others in terms of quality and data (although it does contain some mistakes)- does tell you where their priorities are: they just pasted the five or six lines of advertising and that's all.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                Let's play spot the moron's mistakes:

Naqudaria enhanced thrusters
                X-303 class gliders
                Substituting in a pic of the Prometheus and calling it the rear view of the Odissey
                Laser weapons with the intensity of Asgard tehcnology, yep, those Greys sure have some intense tech.
                Apparently hyperspace travel puts the hull under "tremendous pressure", that whole section had me laughing on the floor for a solid 2 minutes.
                You forgot the part where it mentions aerodynamics as being a factor to acceleration... in space.

Even the way the words flow in that thing make it read like it was written by a 12 year old who only spoke English as a second language.

Edit: Holy **** I just read the part where it says a Wraith cruiser weighs 6 metric tons.

People were paid to write this? People were paid to write that what they say is a 2.5 kilometer long spaceship weighs about as much as an 18 wheeler?

I mean that's not even something that someone completely ignorant of the show would have an excuse for ****ing up. You could never have seen a single minute of Sci-fi in your life, but should still know that committing something like that to published paper will mark you out to anyone who reads it as a total ****ing retard.
                Last edited by Ouroboros; 13 April 2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  You forgot the part where it mentions aerodynamics as being a factor to acceleration... in space.

Even the way the words flow in that thing make it read like it was written by a 12 year old who only spoke English as a second language.

Edit: Holy **** I just read the part where it says a Wraith cruiser weighs 6 metric tons.

People were paid to write this? People were paid to write that what they say is a 2.5 kilometer long spaceship weighs about as much as an 18 wheeler?

I mean that's not even something that someone completely ignorant of the show would have an excuse for ****ing up. You could never have seen a single minute of Sci-fi in your life, but should still know that committing something like that to published paper will mark you out to anyone who reads it as a total ****ing retard.
                  i utterly and completly ¤%&ing agree!

Comment

F*** YEAH!

Seriously, it is that bad.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It's even worse becuase they contradict themselves on the same page.

Comment

I'd point out that the curse theory we discussed about on page 11 may not really fit well with this:

"In time a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form. Then one day our people stepped foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own. In our over confidence, we weren't prepared and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon defenseless human worlds like a great scourge until finally only Atlantis remained. This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons but here we were besieged for many years in an offer to save the last of our kind we submerged our great city into the ocean. The Atlantis stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this Galaxy, and those who remained used it to return to that world that was once home. There the last survivors of Atlantis lived out the remainder of their lives. This city was left to slumber, in the hope that our kind would one day return."

It implies that the culling pretty occurred from the beginning.

One thing I wondered is why the Lanteans never moved humans then. But perhaps they did (and thus an ocean of stories is revealed).
                        It's totally conceivable that the Wraith pulled a Goa'uld here, by settling human herds here and there, like you'd manage crops, and culling them every century.

Comment

aint it possible that the lanteans lied about the wraith origin because they didnt want to admit that the wraith were in fact created by their own horrible biological experiments that went wrong
                          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            I'd point out that the curse theory we discussed about on page 11 may not really fit well with this:

"In time a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form. Then one day our people stepped foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own. In our over confidence, we weren't prepared and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon defenseless human worlds like a great scourge until finally only Atlantis remained. This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons but here we were besieged for many years in an offer to save the last of our kind we submerged our great city into the ocean. The Atlantis stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this Galaxy, and those who remained used it to return to that world that was once home. There the last survivors of Atlantis lived out the remainder of their lives. This city was left to slumber, in the hope that our kind would one day return."

It implies that the culling pretty occurred from the beginning.
                            Oh yeah for sure. I'm not pretending that anything I wrote back there is going to slot in perfectly with all the current Wraith back story. Given what a jumbled contradictory mess it is though pretty much anything you come up with is bound to step on some throw away line here or there.

I wouldn't mind to see the whole thing tossed and done over with no acknowledgment or explanation as to how or why if it meant we got something actually interesting in it's place.

Mutant bugmen is stupid as hell and makes the ancients look even stupider for losing an entire galaxy to something like that, and the whole "sleeping even more ancient enemy thing", while much better, only really exists in that one passage.

It's really what they should have gone with all the way through. The ancients have been stargate's go to magic genie of wank and cheap instant win superweapons for years. They really needed to put something into play in the universe that humbled them a bit, made them see more like an actual civilization with real challenges and struggles, and less like a constantly tapped convenient plot device of superhuman win.

Comment

This sounds more like they kept going on with their business, landed on random planet MR-412, unwittingly unlocked something like this which had been resting in some place similar to this one, populated by Prime Wraith with high tech or something, and went OH SH--.
                              Ensues a long war, the destruction of that malevolent thing and its entire planet, then Lanteans become a bit more complacent after several key victories, reduce their military activity to what is plain enough for mere pest control, only to be hit hard at some point after that, as the "pest" uses stolen Lantean tech in conjunction with its own atavistic tech it kept in its sleeves for quite some time (perhaps also after retrieving some "bibles" from the primordial world). Pure fanon, of course. But boy, I'd prefer this a thousand times over the invasion of the humanoid bugs crap.

Comment

from post above me
                                why must the lanteans be benevolent victims
                                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                                X