Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wraith Worshippers Anonymous - Introduction, Joining And Inactivity, Rules, OOC Chat

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*waves to TP and her boys*

I hope your moving goes well!

Comment

Good luck TP.
      sigpic

Comment

Faster-than-light particles discovered

*jumps up and down in excitement* Plus the quote of the decade below which just about says it all.

"Cause cannot come after effect and that is absolutely fundamental to our construction of the physical universe. If we do not have causality, we are buggered."
        If they manage to prove this, we might as well throw out any physics books and start from scratch. Fantastic!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
          Faster-than-light particles discovered

*jumps up and down in excitement* Plus the quote of the decade below which just about says it all.

If they manage to prove this, we might as well throw out any physics books and start from scratch. Fantastic!
          Wow! That's amazing stuff for sure! Great find! I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for any scratch of information the media will grant us on this.

Comment

If they do manage to prove it I wonder what it will mean in practical terms.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
              If they do manage to prove it I wonder what it will mean in practical terms.
              Even this small deviation would open up the possibility of time travel and play havoc with longstanding notions of cause and effect. Einstein himself - the author of modern physics, whose theory of relativity established the speed of light as the ultimate limit - said that if you could send a message faster than light, "You could send a telegram to the past."
              Which is exciting. However, I think that it will be far too expensive to consider such an application, and such a development would most likely be limited to a very rich few, if time travel was ever developed. Plus we're standing on the cusp of change with regards to energy and how we produce it. I also think such a thing would require a fair old bit of that too, and current tech is not up to the job.
              sigpic

Comment

However, I think that it will be far too expensive to consider such an application, and such a development would most likely be limited to a very rich few, if time travel was ever developed.
                There's still that question of why, if time travel is possible, we don't get visitors from the future. Is it because -

a) They disguise themselves very well.

b) Time travel is only possible on the sub atomic level so it's confined to particles.

c) Our species blows itself up before we become technologically advanced enough to do it.

Makes me wonder if there's anything in fortune telling, though.
                sigpic

Comment

There's still that question of why, if time travel is possible, we don't get visitors from the future. Is it because -

a) They disguise themselves very well.

b) Time travel is only possible on the sub atomic level so it's confined to particles.

c) Our species blows itself up before we become technologically advanced enough to do it.

Makes me wonder if there's anything in fortune telling, though.
                  a) Tish, everybody knows you can't interact with the past, otherwise you'll get a paradox.

b) Possible and therefore devastating to physicists the world over. Poor little scientists will be all miserable now.

c) Most likely of all. Homo sapiens is drunk on its own press, and is starting to believe we really are gods.

And isn't that interesting about fortune telling? It does make you wonder. *gets out tarot pack* Hmmmm...
                  sigpic

Comment

It does cast a new and exciting light on premonitions as well, doesn't it? I do firmly believe that our world holds more strange things than we can imagine - particles traveling backwards through time could help explain a lot of these things.

Comment

a) Tish, everybody knows you can't interact with the past, otherwise you'll get a paradox.
                      But the Doctor interacts with the past all the time in Doctor Who. Oh well, maybe people can go to the future, see what it's like and then go back and change the timeline so it's a different future. Or perhaps someone can bring back the specifications for super advanced future technology and create it so that the people in the future end up with this super advanced technology due to that person getting it from them in the first place.
                      sigpic

Comment

But the Doctor interacts with the past all the time in Doctor Who. Oh well, maybe people can go to the future, see what it's like and then go back and change the timeline so it's a different future. Or perhaps someone can bring back the specifications for super advanced future technology and create it so that the people in the future end up with this super advanced technology due to that person getting it from them in the first place.
                        Yes, but he's the Doctor. We all expect the Doctor to interfere with the timeline.

And if they can bring it back, why the hell haven't they yet?
                        sigpic

Comment

And if they can bring it back, why the hell haven't they yet?
                          Maybe someone has to invent time travel so they can go to the future and bring back the super advanced technology.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just a very quick post to let you know the move went well. I keep having to remind myself that I'm not on holiday in a country cottage - I actually LIVE here now!

It'll be at least a week before I'm back online, though

Hope everyone is well and see you all soon *big hugs*
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

*big hugs* TP
                              sigpic

Comment

Regarding the new particles, I'm not really up on physics but even I'm excited about it, so many possibilites In answer to Ciannwn's musings I have to say option C is possibly the most likely the way things seem to be heading at the moment Either that or the people from the future have already prevented us from creating a time machine so we can't bu**er up our own future...

*sends hugs to TP*

Comment

Working...
                                X