Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by Nolen Syaira View Post
    Nolen looked up from his food and put down his knife and fork. He got up quickly and stood at attention giving the superior officer a salute. "Ma'am, 1st Lieutenant Syaira. Yes Ma'am I'm a 302 pilot that was transferred here to help out" he said standing at ease when Ashwood told him too.

Kim nodded, “At ease Lieutenant,” she told him and grinned, “It seems we are getting flyboys coming here in flocks.” Seeing the time, on her watch, “I guess it’s time to call it a night. Seeing you’re new, I’ll do my duty for the day and show you towards the quarter’s level.” Taking the lead she let him amble after her.

<<To Quarters>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Space-Time Warp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<From Quarters>>

New day, new adventure, Kim thought as she dragged herself in for her first cup of coffee for the morning and perhaps would grab breakfast as well. Looking around she looked at Sharp when she spotted with a...; she did a double take. Now the only question was which of the grey alien he was with. Knowing it would better to grab coffee and fuel herself before putting her foot in her mouth; Ashwood went past her CO and guest to the meal line. Taking what she needed, she went to see if it was possible to get introduced to Sharp’s new friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
      Spoiler:
      "An alternate reality?" Hughes was surprised; it wasn't every day you heard that. "For real?"

"You didn't know of another me, did you? Same boring weapons expert? Football superstar, perhaps?" He shook his head. "No, of course, you don't." 'And,' he thought, 'it's probably better that I don't know.'

Wasn't her team trying to help her adjust? "So you've had a little trouble adjusting here? Have you picked up your Obi-Wan yet?" He stopped short. 'Did her reality even know who that was?' "Mentor, that is."
      "Yeah, for real," Ryn grinned, though there was a little embarrassment in it, too. "No, I don't think I met another you. Maybe. I can't remember, really.".

The term Obi-Wan didn't mean anything. At all. George Lucas hadn't been big in her reality, he'd only made one obscure scifi movie that went straight to DVD. Something about a long snake, Chiazilla ? E.T. on the other hand... now THAT was a massive franchise, even though the basic story was a little different.

So, her voice did sound like she hadn't a clue what he meant.

"O...bi-wan... Oh. A mentor. Yeah, Captain Tyler's sort of that, you could say. Haven't seen her up yet this morning.". She sipped her coffee, and looked around, somehow her eyes kept going back to Thor. And then she all but rolled eyes as she saw Major Ashwood move over there. Ryn tried to make herself smaller, hoping to hide in the crowd. She did NOT wish to have another, potentially disastrous, chat with the officer, sure that the little stroll back from Foreston hadn't been forgotten. After all, it'd been one of the incidents that had caused Ryn's demotion.

Comment

Spoiler:
        Originally posted by Teal'auc View Post
        Jennifer was drifting in her thoughts, as she was thinking about what reply she'd give to Gus.

'I never knew anything else than my work', she thought. And, it was truth. Her whole life was just work, her participation on various projects. She couldn't possibly imagine what she could do now. Her life crumbled, completelly, and she knew it. That was something, which bothered her for quite a while, since she heard the unhappy news regarding her condition.

"Sir, I lived only for my work. Always participating on some project, either for NASA or later for SGC. I was one of test pilots of X-302's, for example. I'm sure you are familiar with those?" She was thinking aloud.

"I had no family, nor friends. Because there was no time for me to make some, sir. You could say, I had no life. Personal life, that is, sir. That is why I have no idea what I will do now."

'Not that it would matter, since my prognosis is so "positive".'

Jennifer finished the fruit cup, putting it aside. She grabbed the coffee again, taking few short sips. There were so many things she wanted to do. To actually help with exploring and to help rebuild what was lost. With Earth's dectruction, there was huge set back in almost every possible field and branch of human kind's activities.

"I sometimes just feel like --" She cleared her throat, again leaning slightly forward the doctor.

"- like I'm just going to live last of my days, and these days being far from what I was used to do. I need to do something. I don't feel that bad to be unable to do field work, after all, at least for now." She realized she was convincing herself of her own worth, than Gus. Taking another short sip of hot coffee, she rubbed her face before returning her attention to Gus.

Gus nodded a little here and there, letting Jennifer talk without being interrupted and didn’t speak until the hint of a question came.
        “Oookaay… So you say that you feel fit enough to do some field work, that’s good. That’s very good, but you have to understand that I can’t authorize it just like that.” He took a deep breath and frowned as he grabbed the tea mug and leaned back in his chair.
        “Hypothetically, let’s say that I did allow you back on active duty, what would happen if your cancer all of a sudden took a turn for the worse while days away from any kind of medical assistance?”
        Gus really hated to say the “C”-word out laud, but he thought the situation called for it.
        “Or let's say a friendly situation all of a sudden turned went sour? And you had to run for your life? That your team mates lives really depended on you”

He sighed and leaned forward, put down his untouched cup and looked at the captains face, his voice full of sympathy, “I’m sorry for being blunt and straight forward Jennifer, but it’s not only your life that is at stake while out there. You know that, just as well as I do. But I’ll tell you what; *if you’re able to find a CO that is willing to take this chance, then I’ll see what I can do in my end, but no promises, ok?”

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Jennifer's face adopted slightly more solemn look. Listening to Gus, she nodded slightly. She knew what was at stake. She took another sip of her coffee, ocassionaly glancing between Gus and her coffee. She felt so torn inbetween. At one side, she would like to return to active duty and do as much as possible for as long as possible. But, at the other side, she realized Gus was right about the whole cancer could take a fast turn for the worse. And, that would make her a liability for the rest of team.

"I don't think I'd want to put rest of team at risk, because of my condition, sir."

She took another sip of her coffee, rubbing her eyes. Another train of thoughts went through her mind. She was reasoning with herself, trying to understand the situation she was in, as well as to stay sane, as this was far from what she was used to.

"I'm not a doctor to be even able to assume how this thing will go, so I guess I'm stuck here, sir." Jennifer burried her face in her hands for few moments, hidding away her worries and hint of fear. not fear of her own death, but fear of what she would do. Her eyes shifted focus back to Gus.

"I do appreciate that you sympathize with me. It's just, I guess that's not a conversation you wanted to have during a breakfast." A small hint of smile appeared on her face.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
          (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
          Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

‘She really looks like she could use a good night’s sleep…’ he thought as she once again rubbed her face.
            Gus gave her a warm smile, “No, I’ll admit maybe not the direction of the conversation that I’ve hoped for, but don’t worry, I’ll manage”
            ‘You should only know what was brought up during some lunches while in Med school… Especially after anatomy class...’

He finished up his bread roll and let his eyes travel around the Mess hall as more people came in, “And come to think of it, I find it way better to have a discussion like this in up here than in the Med bay or in my office…” and let his eyes rest on Chris and his breakfast company as an idea popped up.
            “Have you talked to Colonel Sharp? Maybe he’s the one to help you?”
            Gus looked back at Jennifer, “I know he pilots the 302’s around here…”

Comment

Following another sip of her coffee, she looked around the Mess Hall. She finally realized how crowded this place was. It's been a while since she actually had a conversation with someone. Since she found out what her condition was, she tended to keep to just herself. There was so little she felt to be said, to others.

"I admit this is more like the first real conversation I'm having, since these bad news." She confessed, hurring up to take another sip of her coffee. She felt slightly embarassed, but then she shook that feeling off. She didn't have to justify herself, not now.

"And I am not sure how Coloner Sharp could help me. Unless there's some "magical cure", there's nothing much anyone can do, sir." Jennifer put a mocking emphasis on words "magical cure".

Red-headed Captain drifted back to her past. She recalled these moments, when she worked on X-302's. They were rather pleasant vessels, capable of even space travel. Jennifer's face seemed to be a bit off, as she thought about what was good portion of her career, as well as her past experiences with piloting various crafts. Blinking few times, she returned back to the present.

"But, I do not believe in miracles, sir - and with all due respect, even Coloner Sharp is not capable of them." She finished her previous thought.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali

Comment

Gus looked back at Chris and chuckled “Oh, I agree completely with you, I doubt he has any ‘miracle cures’ up his sleeve…” and then thought back at the recent events concerning the healing of Natasha Bystronski and grew serious, “I wouldn’t be too sure about medical miracles never happening though, but that is not what I meant with you talking to the Colonel.”
                He finished off his tea and made a motion with his cup towards Chris, “I was more thinking about him helping you to make yourself feel useful again. Why don’t you try and set up a meeting with him?”

Comment

Jennifer finished the coffee and set the mug aside. Rubbing her face again, she glanced at older man, known as Colonel Sharp. Jennifer didn't know him too much. In fact, she knew only so little people, despite being here for some while already. She was way too occupied with her work, before all of this happened.

'Couldn't be any better', She thought.

"I can try that, sir. But honestly, I don't expect many opportunities. I obviously cannot doanything, which could put others at risk, in case that thing would turn suddenly for the worse. And from the little I know about it, it can happen any day."

Glancing around once again, she let out a soft sigh.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    "Yeah, for real," Ryn grinned, though there was a little embarrassment in it, too. "No, I don't think I met another you. Maybe. I can't remember, really.".

The term Obi-Wan didn't mean anything. At all. George Lucas hadn't been big in her reality, he'd only made one obscure scifi movie that went straight to DVD. Something about a long snake, Chiazilla ? E.T. on the other hand... now THAT was a massive franchise, even though the basic story was a little different.

So, her voice did sound like she hadn't a clue what he meant.

"O...bi-wan... Oh. A mentor. Yeah, Captain Tyler's sort of that, you could say. Haven't seen her up yet this morning.". She sipped her coffee, and looked around, somehow her eyes kept going back to Thor. And then she all but rolled eyes as she saw Major Ashwood move over there. Ryn tried to make herself smaller, hoping to hide in the crowd. She did NOT wish to have another, potentially disastrous, chat with the officer, sure that the little stroll back from Foreston hadn't been forgotten. After all, it'd been one of the incidents that had caused Ryn's demotion.
                    "Oh, well, I can't say I expected you to. Alternate reality and all. I mean, I could be anything, right?" He shrugged, and then flashed a boyish grin. "Did I mention football star?"

He chuckled. "You have no idea who Obi-Wan is, do you? This has to be part of that twenty percent you mentioned." And she did sound uncertain; obviously Star Wars wasn't the massive franchise it was here. "Seems I'll have to be careful with the movie references around you," he commented, more to himself than to his companion.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by Teal'auc View Post
                      Jennifer finished the coffee and set the mug aside. Rubbing her face again, she glanced at older man, known as Colonel Sharp. Jennifer didn't know him too much. In fact, she knew only so little people, despite being here for some while already. She was way too occupied with her work, before all of this happened.

'Couldn't be any better', She thought.

"I can try that, sir. But honestly, I don't expect many opportunities. I obviously cannot doanything, which could put others at risk, in case that thing would turn suddenly for the worse. And from the little I know about it, it can happen any day."

Glancing around once again, she let out a soft sigh.

Gus blew out a frustrated sigh, rubbed his face and then finished by pulling his hands through his greying hair before looking back at Jennifer.
                      “Jennifer, now you tell me; what’s it going to be? Do you want to have something to do or what? You just told me that you feel healthy enough to do something, not wanting to sit around and be a liability. Your own words, not mine, and now you tell me you cannot accomplish anything? Make up your mind!”

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        "Oh, well, I can't say I expected you to. Alternate reality and all. I mean, I could be anything, right?" He shrugged, and then flashed a boyish grin. "Did I mention football star?"

He chuckled. "You have no idea who Obi-Wan is, do you? This has to be part of that twenty percent you mentioned." And she did sound uncertain; obviously Star Wars wasn't the massive franchise it was here. "Seems I'll have to be careful with the movie references around you," he commented, more to himself than to his companion.
                        Ryn laughed at the football star question. "Nah. Sorry. I don't know! Maybe you just never made it to our base, and got blown up too. That happened to my Earth too. And, no. I have no idea who Obi-Wan is. Maybe you will need to educate me on the movies here sometime." She grinned and finished up her coffee. The food had long since been eaten. She looked at the three plates. "Well, I'm done, uh, yeah, so, uh, you have any plans for today ? I'm gonna go and check out the armory, need to get familiar with stuff again. Got a mission at 1800 so well, have to learn what I can.".

Comment

Originally posted by DragonGate View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Jen thought about that as she dropped her dishes off. "Hopefully, nobody left any food out that she found. Bears are spectacularly skilled at getting used to human food and trash. Once they get used to easy food that way, it's hard as hell to get the animal to not come back, even when it's captured and re-located." She could only hope that after less than a year of this being their primary home, they didn't already have alien wildlife losing their fear of humans.

"Keep my offer in mind, it's a small base, I'm sure I'll see you around, Doctor." She waved as she headed out of the mess to go to the bio lab way downstairs.

<<to Level 10 Alien Organism Lab>>

"Yeah, I will, see you, Major," He called out after her, belatedly realising she could have called him by his first name. Oh well, it was something that would be rectified sooner rather than later. The bear subject had worried him a little. Had he been so wrong about the animals here ? Were they really getting used to humans too quickly ? David frowned a little, then shrugged.

He walked past the CMO's table up in the corner (it was close by the dishes racks) and flashed the medicine man and his female companion a happy grin, totally oblivious to Gus's obvious frustrations.

"G'mornin', Doctor. Captain." David then left the mess, and headed back to his lab, there was some researching to be done, and he couldn't wait to get to it.

<<To Linguistics>>

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Gus blew out a frustrated sigh, rubbed his face and then finished by pulling his hands through his greying hair before looking back at Jennifer.
                            “Jennifer, now you tell me; what’s it going to be? Do you want to have something to do or what? You just told me that you feel healthy enough to do something, not wanting to sit around and be a liability. Your own words, not mine, and now you tell me you cannot accomplish anything? Make up your mind!”

Jennifer frowned. It seemed that she managed to frustrate the doctor. She had so mixed feelings and was unable to come up with a single word for a moment. As much as she wanted to accomplish something, what were her real chances someone would be willing to take the chance with her? Not to mention the fact, that the last thing Jennifer wanted was to put other people at risk...

'Major himself pointed out that the illness may turn bad anytime, and that is when I would've become a liability, especially if off-world.'

Jennifer rubbed her face, pondering about doctor's words. Still being unable to say a thing. She felt so embarassed and confused with herself. Maybe it was the fact she didn't sleep well since the bad news? Or was it her own self-doubt?

'What worth am I now?' She thought, lowering her head, and stared on the table, at the pile of empty platters in front of her.

'I can't give up like that' She finalized with her own mind, after a while.

"You are right, sir. I better try and to set a meeting with Colonel Sharp. Maybe there is something I can do, without putting others at risk."

Jennifer gave him a bit of apologetic tone, feeling bad about making him upset, but her face remained straight, with rather indifferent expression, not even noticing young lingvist pasing a greeting to her and Gus before he made his way out of Mess Hall.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              Ryn laughed at the football star question. "Nah. Sorry. I don't know! Maybe you just never made it to our base, and got blown up too. That happened to my Earth too. And, no. I have no idea who Obi-Wan is. Maybe you will need to educate me on the movies here sometime." She grinned and finished up her coffee. The food had long since been eaten. She looked at the three plates. "Well, I'm done, uh, yeah, so, uh, you have any plans for today ? I'm gonna go and check out the armory, need to get familiar with stuff again. Got a mission at 1800 so well, have to learn what I can.".
                              Hughes nodded in the affirmative. "Movies 101. We'll work on that when you get back."

He reminded himself that he hadn't decided what he'd do with his time off. "No, no plans on my end. Major Stevens gave us a couple of days off to recover. I sure as hell need it."

((Wanted to get a post in for you; but have a ton of work to finish up tonight.))

Comment

Hmmm, not the curious type, ok, I can live with that, Ryn thought, watching the lieutenant. He did seem tired. And the injuries probably weren't fun, especially if they had slower healing here. Her own shoulders ached in sympathy, the dull throb that was always there was now a bit tougher to bear.

"Okay. Well. You can join me if you want, lieutenant. If you're bored enough to watch me be clumsy with the wrong size of bullets, that is..." She stood up, leaving the question hanging.

Comment

Working...
                                X