Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DragonGate View Post
    Spoiler:
    "You have a place in Foreston? Never been into town, actually. Nice place?" Jen was watching the Asgard with Colonel Sharp after Dr. Williams had pointed him out. She was somewhat less awed by the aliens, having been one. Telling the scientist about that little incident could wait for another time. He'd probably expect she'd be fluent in Goa'uld or something, or have a lot of questions about Olympian society.

"Meh, a group of Gould scientists who could shelve their egos long enough to work together and combine their knowledge could probably match the Asgard level of technology. Megalomania is a killer that way. As for the equinox, I'm planning on getting some environmental data this morning. I was hoping we were pre-equinox so I could have early autumn for comparison to later in the season and to winter later on."

The eyebrows rose up again at her remarks, which he thought to be somewhat shocking. There was obviously some kind of history there, the emotions in her voice showed that much. It had to be more than simple hatred of the Goa'uld, that was probably a certainty.

"Okay. Yeah, I have a house a Foreston. It's a simple and small cottage, maybe more luxurious than the ah, alien residents of the town. It's nice, and secluded enough." Without much of a pause, he continued to address her other statements. The ones about the Asgard versus the Goa'uld tech, however, he decided to let those slide. He did not wish to make her upset. It was too early in the morning to be upset, he decided.

"Are you doing a special kind of survey ? Or is this just.... to relieve boredom, as it were ?" He blinked and smiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn View Post
      Spoiler:
      ((pokes O a bit ))

Getting no immediate response from the officer, Ryn shrugged and looked around, focusing back on her food meanwhile. She nearly dropped the fork spotting Blue. When had he come in ? She had to resist the urge to stand up and salute, she would most definitely make a fool of herself. That's what constantly reading that god-awful rules book did to a person, she thought. You just didn't know what was what anymore. Moreover, she found herself confused about the bomb. Live bombs. Not-live bombs. Intars worked just the same as a live one, only it didn't kill. Right ? Gah. I guess I need a crash refresher course if I'm going to make it through that mission. She nodded to herself, today would be spent exclusively in the Armory.

Still, the man opposite her deserved an explanation. "Okay. I'm a little confused, sir, I must admit, did you use intars ? 'Cause where I'm from, it's all just a .... *little* different. I guess this is just one of those things ... sorry to babble." She smiled and hoped to get a cohesive answer.
      ((Sorry. Just trying to get a few things set up on my new computer. ))

He didn't realize how tired he was, until he started to zone out. "Sorry," Hughes mumbled, apologetically. "Guess I'm more tired than I thought."

He paused. "Where were we? Explosions, right?" He paused again to think. How did he explain this without coming across as either incompetent or a total jerk? "The plan, I believe, was for no live ordnance, intars and such only. However, someone decided it'd be a good idea to bury live explosives. And, of course, I just happened to be in the wrong place. What exactly are the odds of that?"

It was then that he realized what she'd said. "Wait, what? Where you're from?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn
        Spoiler:
        "Okay. Yeah, I have a house a Foreston. It's a simple and small cottage, maybe more luxurious than the ah, alien residents of the town. It's nice, and secluded enough." Without much of a pause, he continued to address her other statements. The ones about the Asgard versus the Goa'uld tech, however, he decided to let those slide. He did not wish to make her upset. It was too early in the morning to be upset, he decided.

"Are you doing a special kind of survey ? Or is this just.... to relieve boredom, as it were ?" He blinked and smiled.
        "More or less, I'll grab any chance I can to get to some research in around my command. By taking environmental measures now, I can ballpark what winter will be like, given measurements over time. If it's going to be bad, we need to make preparations now to maintain communication with the towns." Jen tried to remember the initial life sciences report SG-8 had put in. What had been the bottom lows measured? She'd have to hit up the computers after she got the data she wanted outside.

"As long as the snow isn't over two feet or so, vehicular passage should be possible for military vehicles. You folks in Foreston won't get cut off, General Blue won't let that happen. Do you live in the town center or out in the country, Doctor?"

"Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

"No idea," Ryn smiled on the odds question, even though she knew it was rhetorical. She nodded at the explanation of the bomb question, then continued with her reply.

"Well, you know. I'm from .... uh... Another reality. I got picked up by SG-3 and another team. They were on a mission in my reality to retrieve a new DHD for your base. I helped with that, and I serve here now. Got some trouble adjusting, since you know, everything's different. Not *entirely* different (maybe 20 % of this reality is different), but it's enough to be a pain sometimes. People you know back home aren't here, or are doing other things. Or are dead. Or never got born, or whatever." She made a small gesture with a hand that could mean anything, but looked the most like a shrug.

"Don't know how long I'll stay here. I guess until I wear out my welcome, and I had a bit of trouble with your CG already. He only just reinstated me - off the record actually - after a uh... demotion. See what I mean with adjusting problems ? So I'm doing my best to fit in." She stopped there, it was a lot to take in already.

Comment

"Hmmmm." David muttered, mulling over Jen's words. It wasn't his specialty, what she was going to dabble in. "Did you try asking the Science lab ? I'm sure the folks there would know more and would probably have been doing those exact same readings you're after, already. Weather data is important enough. There's probably data around from the very beginning of this base, they wouldn't start building this if the area wasn't stable in every aspect.".

He adjusted his sitting position (fidgeting in the chair was more like it). Food was done now, and the room was getting too full; he started longing for the quietness of his lab.

"Anyway, Major. I live in what you could call the outskirts of the town. Secluded yet central, it's very nice. I will be more than happy to give you a tour of Foreston and an explanation of its history some day. Feel free to drop by my lab sometime. Linguistics, can't miss it, same level as the briefing room. I got a specialized computer area, too, lots of equipment.". David smiled, and waited to see if she had any more questions or observations.

Comment

{Blue} {Janus} {Swanson}
              continued from here

The general stepped up to the serving counter just as Chief Swanson came bustling out of the kitchen with a fresh pan of hot cereal. He glared at the men and women behind the counter before speaking to Nick.
              "Sorry about that, sir. They know better than to make you wait."
              "Not their fault, Chief," Blue explained, "They offered, I declined. No point in jumping the line if you don't know what you want anyway."
              Anything strike your fancy this morning, Nick thought to Janus
              "Anything in particular you'd like this morning, sir? We're done with the frozen egg product," Henry shuddered at the concept of eating those, "Got nice, fresh shell eggs now. Do you an omelet?"
              ~A cranberry muffin. You were thinking of those yesterday,~ Janus silently placed his order.
              Nick shook his head, "No thanks, Chief. I'll just do whatever's on the line this morning." He started pointing to items as he continued talking to Swanson, "Sorry about the false alarm last night. Dinner for Chaplain McGregor? I forgot it was the middle of his night."
              Henry critically checked the plates as the airman handed them over the counter. "No problem, sir," he said, "We're open 24/7/365. Any meal, any time."
              Blue filled his tray and started to slide it down the row, "Thank you, Jenkins. Henry, you have gotten the request for the same dinner tonight, right?"
              "Y-You're welcome, sir," the airman stuttered, surprised that the general actually knew his name.
              Swanson nodded, "Scotch pie. Got the meat marinating now. 1900 in your quarters."
              Nick gave him a thumbs up before picking up his tray and moving off, "You got it. Thanks, Chief."
              Sidestepping his way around chairs and tables, Blue finally reached where Sharp and Thor were sitting. "Good morning, gentle ... persons. Thor, I trust you rested well. Do you need anything specific to make your stay better?"
              While he was talking, he transfered plates with scrambled eggs, hashbrown potatoes with cheese sauce, sausage and a cranberry muffin to the table top.
              Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                Originally posted by Teal'auc View Post
                Another few moments of silence. Jennifer was trying to sort out her own thoughts. She didn't want to give up, but she realized that her chances were rather slim - and she didn't need to be a doctor to know that. She knew there was very little the doctors could do, with the limited resources available for them. Taking small amount of fruit from the cup, she swallowed it slowly.

"Sir, with all due respect, I do not wish to be a liability. If these are to be my last days, or whatever, I'd like these days of being worth of something." She said, looking back into eyes of the doctor, who was sitting across her. Her words were silent, but there was a hint of determination, mixed with hint of bitterness as well.

"I'm not giving up on life, and if there's even slim chance of me getting over this, then it's fine. But, there must be something I could do."

Jennifer grabbed the coffee and took rather long sip, before returning her attention to Gus.

Gus looked back at Jennifer over the rim of his cup, “You will never be a liability Jennifer,” he said in a sincere tone, “and if anyone ever give you that impression, you tell me and I’ll make sure that said person gets his butt of this planet before he’d see it coming, ok?”

He was just about to try and persuade her to keep fighting and not give up, when she brought up the subject by herself.
                “Good! I’m glad to hear there is some determination in you after all; having the right attitude can do more then one think. You know,” Gus took another bite of his bread roll; ham, tomato and… Gaian cream cheese, definitely one of the better combinations the kitchen offered nowadays.
                “With teams taking off off-world now that we have the DHD up and running, one never now what they might encounter. I don’t want to give you any false hopes, but we’re sending one team off to negotiate for medical assistance tonight. Who knows what they might be able to bring back?”

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Jennifer kept chewing the fruit, listening to Gus. She didn't want to give up. Defeatism was something she never accepted, and if there was anything she could do, she would do it. Rubbing her obviously tired eyes, she refocused, looking back at the doctor. He did his best to encourage her, she could see that and was well aware of it.

"Now, that you speak of going off-world..." She stopped in the middle of the sentence, grabbing another bit of the fruits with her spoon from the cup.

"I should be going out there as well, instead of sitting on my butt." She finished the sentence, mumbling slightly, so it wasn't sure, if she was talking more to herself or to Gus. Jennifer gave Gus an apologetic look again.

"I'm a soldier, sir, so sitting around is not something I'm good at." She admitted, while ocassionally glancing around, her face remaining straight.

"What would you do, sir, if you were in my position?" She asked, with raised eyebrow above her right eye, indicating slight curiosity.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
                  (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
                  Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

Gus pursed is lips, ‘Yeah, what would I do? Heck, I’m almost old enough to be her father… and I’m not a soldier, got to admit I’m no good at doing nothing though,’ and then took another sip of his coffee before replying.
                    “You know the say ‘Carpe diem’? ‘Seize the day? What would you *like to do? What are you good at? Is there anything you’d like to try out? Anywhere you’d like to go? You see where I’m going?”

He slipped a sigh, “I’d say that even if you’re disqualified for a position on a SG-team due to your medical condition, it doesn’t mean that you’re not fit to go off world if you’d like. Maybe Helumoa or Shanstid, just for a change of scenery…”
                    Gus frowned, shook his head and chuckled quietly, “Hmm, well, maybe not Shanstid. Unless you like temperatures hovering around the 90’s?”

Last edited by Northern Girl; 30 July 2009, 12:46 PM. Reason: Thanks Ryn ;)

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

Jennifer was drifting in her thoughts, as she was thinking about what reply she'd give to Gus.

'I never knew anything else than my work', she thought. And, it was truth. Her whole life was just work, her participation on various projects. She couldn't possibly imagine what she could do now. Her life crumbled, completelly, and she knew it. That was something, which bothered her for quite a while, since she heard the unhappy news regarding her condition.

"Sir, I lived only for my work. Always participating on some project, either for NASA or later for SGC. I was one of test pilots of F-302's, for example. I'm sure you are familiar with those?" She was thinking aloud.

"I had no family, nor friends. Because there was no time for me to make some, sir. You could say, I had no life. Personal life, that is, sir. That is why I have no idea what I will do now."

'Not that it would matter, since my prognosis is so "positive".'

Jennifer finished the fruit cup, putting it aside. She grabbed the coffee again, taking few short sips. There were so many things she wanted to do. To actually help with exploring and to help rebuild what was lost. With Earth's dectruction, there was huge set back in almost every possible field and branch of human kind's activities.

"I sometimes just feel like --" She cleared her throat, again leaning slightly forward the doctor.

"- like I'm just going to live last of my days, and these days being far from what I was used to do. I need to do something. I don't feel that bad to be unable to do field work, after all, at least for now." She realized she was convincing herself of her own worth, than Gus. Taking another short sip of hot coffee, she rubbed her face before returning her attention to Gus.
                      Last edited by Teal'auc; 07 August 2009, 12:38 PM.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
                      (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
                      Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

Spoiler:
                        "Hmmmm." David muttered, mulling over Jen's words. It wasn't his specialty, what she was going to dabble in. "Did you try asking the Science lab ? I'm sure the folks there would know more and would probably have been doing those exact same readings you're after, already. Weather data is important enough. There's probably data around from the very beginning of this base, they wouldn't start building this if the area wasn't stable in every aspect.".

He adjusted his sitting position (fidgeting in the chair was more like it). Food was done now, and the room was getting too full; he started longing for the quietness of his lab.

"Anyway, Major. I live in what you could call the outskirts of the town. Secluded yet central, it's very nice. I will be more than happy to give you a tour of Foreston and an explanation of its history some day. Feel free to drop by my lab sometime. Linguistics, can't miss it, same level as the briefing room. I got a specialized computer area, too, lots of equipment.". David smiled, and waited to see if she had any more questions or observations.
                        "Yes, obviously, but just because another archaeologist has already gone over a ruin, does that mean you wouldn't given the chance? Besides, I have a bear sow to track and figure if she's still in the area or if the bear traps set by your friends in Foreston drove her away from civilization. Hopefully it's the latter."

Jen shrugged, aware that the odds he had anything to do with the trapping were slim. Unless the good doctor had a sideline as a big game hunter. She doubted it. "Never mind, I know the refugee settlers wouldn't be big on a 'save the whales' outlook." She gathered her own dishes and held a hand to him. "Take 'em for you?"

"Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Sharp was deeply concentrated in moving his hash-browns away from the syrup, while making sure not to dip them too much into the ketchup. He didn't even notice the General had entered the mess hall until Nick was at his side.

"General!" He stood up quickly and at attention.

Nick was the one and only person on this base he had to stand at attention for, and Chris would be damned if he didn't at least make the effort.

He looked as Blue's breakfast and a grin came upon his face. It wasn't very often that Chris didn't have the largest tray of food. 'Well, I'm sure Janus can jumpstart his metabolism.'

"Indeed. There is nothing more I require. Your staff has done an excellent job."
                          Last edited by Colonel Sharp; 30 July 2009, 08:53 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by DragonGate View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            "Yes, obviously, but just because another archaeologist has already gone over a ruin, does that mean you wouldn't given the chance? Besides, I have a bear sow to track and figure if she's still in the area or if the bear traps set by your friends in Foreston drove her away from civilization. Hopefully it's the latter."

Jen shrugged, aware that the odds he had anything to do with the trapping were slim. Unless the good doctor had a sideline as a big game hunter. She doubted it. "Never mind, I know the refugee settlers wouldn't be big on a 'save the whales' outlook." She gathered her own dishes and held a hand to him. "Take 'em for you?"

He took that as a sign to stand up. "No, I'm good, thank you. And, you're right, I guess. Nothing beats personal experiences. A bear sow, you say. I did hear one in the forest one day. Stayed perfectly still - I was sitting on my porch - and it went away, it never saw me, guess it was hungry else it would never have travelled so close to human settlements. Well, you would be surprised about the locals. Some are very ah, Greenpeace-minded, as it were, and some couldn't care less. It's all down to whatever culture they originate from, I do have friendships with a lot of them. I do enjoy the diversity. It's quite interesting."

He followed her to the 'dishwasher-line', and deposited the contents of the tray in the rack, and also the tray itself, in a different rack.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              "No idea," Ryn smiled on the odds question, even though she knew it was rhetorical. She nodded at the explanation of the bomb question, then continued with her reply.

"Well, you know. I'm from .... uh... Another reality. I got picked up by SG-3 and another team. They were on a mission in my reality to retrieve a new DHD for your base. I helped with that, and I serve here now. Got some trouble adjusting, since you know, everything's different. Not *entirely* different (maybe 20 % of this reality is different), but it's enough to be a pain sometimes. People you know back home aren't here, or are doing other things. Or are dead. Or never got born, or whatever." She made a small gesture with a hand that could mean anything, but looked the most like a shrug.

"Don't know how long I'll stay here. I guess until I wear out my welcome, and I had a bit of trouble with your CG already. He only just reinstated me - off the record actually - after a uh... demotion. See what I mean with adjusting problems ? So I'm doing my best to fit in." She stopped there, it was a lot to take in already.
                              "An alternate reality?" Hughes was surprised; it wasn't every day you heard that. "For real?"

"You didn't know of another me, did you? Same boring weapons expert? Football superstar, perhaps?" He shook his head. "No, of course, you don't." 'And,' he thought, 'it's probably better that I don't know.'

Wasn't her team trying to help her adjust? "So you've had a little trouble adjusting here? Have you picked up your Obi-Wan yet?" He stopped short. 'Did her reality even know who that was?' "Mentor, that is."

Comment

Spoiler:
                                He took that as a sign to stand up. "No, I'm good, thank you. And, you're right, I guess. Nothing beats personal experiences. A bear sow, you say. I did hear one in the forest one day. Stayed perfectly still - I was sitting on my porch - and it went away, it never saw me, guess it was hungry else it would never have travelled so close to human settlements. Well, you would be surprised about the locals. Some are very ah, Greenpeace-minded, as it were, and some couldn't care less. It's all down to whatever culture they originate from, I do have friendships with a lot of them. I do enjoy the diversity. It's quite interesting."

He followed her to the 'dishwasher-line', and deposited the contents of the tray in the rack, and also the tray itself, in a different rack.
                                Jen thought about that as she dropped her dishes off. "Hopefully, nobody left any food out that she found. Bears are spectacularly skilled at getting used to human food and trash. Once they get used to easy food that way, it's hard as hell to get the animal to not come back, even when it's captured and re-located." She could only hope that after less than a year of this being their primary home, they didn't already have alien wildlife losing their fear of humans.

"Keep my offer in mind, it's a small base, I'm sure I'll see you around, Doctor." She waved as she headed out of the mess to go to the bio lab way downstairs.

<<to Level 10 Alien Organism Lab>>

Discover a … New Galaxy

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Working...
                                X