This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    is it possible to delete group if the creator decides he doesn't want it around anymore
    Not if others have joined it. It is the same as a thread once it is created it is public domain if it is a public thread. If it is an invite only, that may be different. Some of these things will have to be discussed between the Mods as they come up

But if a group is public and others have joined... no we won't close it just for the heck of it
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I've got a question about the new profiles. Where did the section that showed favorite episode and character and such go? I can still edit it in my profile, but I don't see where it is displayed.

Also, do sigs not appear in profiles anymore?

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

It's all still on your profile page, just not as blatant. Click on the "About Me" tab or the "Show all statistics" link to see everything.

Comment

For some reason, the "About Me" tab isn't showing up on my page. I still have a bunch of red Xs too.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            These will be added-on features, meaning if you don't want to use them you don't have to. The rest of the forum (and the forum folders and threads are still fundamentally what this forum is) remains the same.

You won't be able to choose between "old style" and "new style" on your profile page. Not sure about moderation of public posts on your profile. You may be able to disable it, and I think you will be able to admin comments on your own profile page to keep out stuff you don't want there.
            I don't see any opt out or "hide" for these extras that, to be honest Darren, not all of us want. I don't do Facebook/My Space and I do have an LJ, albeit a locked one. I enjoyed this forum for what it was not -- not those other things. And even LJ gives you options for hiding info such as friends lists, etc. from appearing on one's profile page. Don't wanna know who visited my profile page. Definitely don't want public messages on my profile page - (that's what PM, IM, and e-mail is for!).

*sighs* I really hope there is a way to hide the things we don't want or need to show on that page. Otherwise...........

ETA: okay, found this:
            "If you do not want to receive visitor messages, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
            __ Enable Visitor Messaging"
            Clicked it and will see if it works.
            Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 16 May 2008, 11:06 AM.
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your patience and enthusiasm as we get used to the new forum features. This is a pretty major upgrade for vBulletin, and it will take some time to upgrade templates, fix templating errors, add shortcuts, figure out what goes where, learn what things members versus mods versus admins have power to control, and finally lay out some new rules to cover Social Groups, public messaging, etc.

I will be working on the forum most of the weekend, so feel free to post your wish list, template errors, questions, etc. right here and I'll tackle as many as I can. Just recognize that everything you currently see is the result of me not having done any "repair work" yet.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                I don't see any opt out or "hide" for these extras that, to be honest Darren, not all of us want. I don't do Facebook/My Space and I do have an LJ, albeit a locked one. I enjoyed this forum for what it was not -- not those other things. And even LJ gives you options for hiding info such as friends lists, etc. from appearing on one's profile page. Don't wanna know who visited my profile page. Definitely don't want public messages on my profile page - (that's what PM, IM, and e-mail is for!).

*sighs* I really hope there is a way to hide the things we don't want or need to show on that page. Otherwise...........

ETA: okay, found this:
                "If you do not want to receive visitor messages, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
                __ Enable Visitor Messaging"
                Clicked it and will see if it works.
                I agree with you 100%.

I don't like these changes and, quite frankly, I feel that it violates my right to privacy. I should be able to control what is and what isn't allowed to be viewed in my profile.

Comment

Darren, I don't know if you already know it but i guess you do but you have to manually change the colours, as in typing the code in when posting, cause the button doesn't work for it.
                  When you edit you also can do it... Just letting you know and try to be helpfull

love the upgrade though, although not sure about the whole public messaging and friending...it feels like i am on facebook or livejournal all over again

Comment

I would like to report a post but I get this:

Database error The GateWorld Forum database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
                    • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
                    • Open the forum.gateworld.net home page, then try to open another page.
                    • Click the Back button to try another link.

The forum.gateworld.net forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
                    We apologise for any inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                      I would like to report a post but I get this:
                      I think everyone's trying out the new features, as i'm getting a busy signal every two minutes. And it's kicking me out every other minute....

*hopes this post goes through*

Apart from that I love the upgrade. Thanks Darren.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                        I think everyone's trying out the new features, as i'm getting a busy signal every two minutes. And it's kicking me out every other minute....

*hopes this post goes through*

Apart from that I love the upgrade. Thanks Darren.
                        Its been frantic the whole day. Its been 10 hours since I am playing with the new features . Time out after time out...DB error...the usual .

Comment

Social Groups R0x0r The best thing on GW since vBulletin.

Comment

Well only spent a few minutes with the new features.
                            The only problem I have is the amount profiles I am having to maintain. This is not really a problem that gateworld can solve but I wish I could just maintain one profile page and then enable all my other profiles on other websites to be link to it. So when I update my central profile, all my other profiles are updated. Just a little thing that started to annoy me, and I would love to be able to do.
                            Hopefully opensocial and other similar initiatives will eventually enable this. May be Google friend connect and what ever facebook version is called will facilitate this, though I have not research them enough to know for certain. Through I guest it will be up to Vbulletin to integrate those standards into their software.

The only other issues is that the new social features seems a little tag on to me and not fully integrated. And it seem to make things like finding previous posts more difficult, well at least in scifimeshes which uses the updated software, which I have spent more time on.

But as I say this is only spending a few minutes on it. I probably will just keep my profile as is for now.

And I hope gateworld will not end up divided into closed groups and private threads.
                            But as everyone else I will have to see how it goes and how social aspects will be integrated into my web life. although I do love facebook.
                            And as everyone else on the web gateworld will have to learn how to best manage such social environments and how to get the balance right, to being restrictive enough to maintain order but not to restrictive as to make the features useless.

Well hopefully I will eventually play around with it more in the future.

Comment

I'm computer-challenged but I've been fooling around with the new thinghies for the last hour and it seems it's going to be FUN

Thanks, Darren ( and Greg too ! )

Comment

Wish List:

* Be able to see pending friendship requests in my user profile rather than having to rely on me checking my email. Wow, found it. Although there seems to be a hick up hiccup because I see three pending friendships but only have two emails and one of them isn't listed as pending in my profile (not listed as accepted, either). That might be a general update SNAFU that will sort itself out once the forum stabilizes.
                                * Separate list for Contacts and Friends.
                                * When I uncheck "Show avatars" for the Friends/Contacts list, have it stay that way the next time I look at the list.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but those are the first I've noticed.

EDIT: Is there a way to add a "join group" link right in the list of public groups? Or at the very least work on the tinting so the link shows up a bit better. White text on a light blue background can be hard to see if you aren't paying attention.

EDIT 2: this post revision history thing- I'm too lazy to look up the specifics again and I haven't seen any revisions today other than my own, but I assume that link is only relevant to me/the original poster, right? Because if mods go in and snip something and all folks have to do is click the post history to see what got snipped, I can see that being a bit of a problem.
                                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 16 May 2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X