Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! This is going to add a whole new level to gateworld!
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

All I hope is that it won't deteriorate into, say, SG-1 lovers against SGA lovers kind of rivalry, just to pull an obvious example out of the hat.
      sigpic

Comment

"Social Groups. Join a public group -- fans of a certain character or 'ship, convention attendees, etc. -- or create a new one! Comes with "Invite Only" and "Moderated Membership" options for private groups."

Ok, here is my doomsday scenario: What are now discussions of characters and themes open to anyone, will soon devolve into discussions amongst cliques of people who have no interest in inviting or listening to the voices of new posters. The Ronon groups, the Carter groups, etc. will all become private clubs, so to speak, and the open forum threads will dwindle down to nothingness...
        I'd hate to see Gateworld become just another Facebook type social network. I feel left out of the real world enough as it is, this will be just another opportunity to feel unloved!

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          All I hope is that it won't deteriorate into, say, SG-1 lovers against SGA lovers kind of rivalry, just to pull an obvious example out of the hat.
          No, but I bet there'd be a "Pros" vs. "Antis" rivalry. More so than there already is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kritter View Post
            "Social Groups. Join a public group -- fans of a certain character or 'ship, convention attendees, etc. -- or create a new one! Comes with "Invite Only" and "Moderated Membership" options for private groups."

Ok, here is my doomsday scenario: What are now discussions of characters and themes open to anyone, will soon devolve into discussions amongst cliques of people who have no interest in inviting or listening to the voices of new posters. The Ronon groups, the Carter groups, etc. will all become private clubs, so to speak, and the open forum threads will dwindle down to nothingness...
            I'd hate to see Gateworld become just another Facebook type social network. I feel left out of the real world enough as it is, this will be just another opportunity to feel unloved!
            Gotta agree that Facebook and MySpace are basically a waste of space. What I do like about GW is that I don't have to join any groups or clubs or cliques in order to read or discuss a topic. I do predict that once these features are insitututed, we'll see an upswing of people posting "join my group!" all over the boards

I would, however, think that in the interest of harmony (to a degree) that private groups (aka cliques) not be allowed on the boards because so far, everything on the boards is available to everyone...

Comment

To my knowledge whatever perks that are utilized all members will be free to participate or not participate in any of them. The fact that the perk exists should not be a reason for anyone to have cause for dismay
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                To my knowledge whatever perks that are utilized all members will be free to participate or not participate in any of them. The fact that the perk exists should not be a reason for anyone to have cause for dismay
                plus we dont' even know what they look like and what new options will be avabile so everyone should relax until the upgrade is done
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                  *Pats Tame on the head* That;s what we like about you, Tame, all that fluffy optimism flying in the face of reality.

Cliques happen. And now that there will be a way to verify the numbers they will become a weapon in the various fandom wars. X number of people in the Save Weir group means Weir should come back. Y number of people in the Shep/Teyla group means theirs is the bestest and most popular ship in fandom. Z number of people in the Pro S5 group means the Antis should shut up and go away.

Dismay? Nah, it's just business as usual, now with number crunching action!

Comment

I am viewing the Social Groups as very much an add-on. Threads continue as they are, and there are and always will be cliques and sub-groups in fandom. The rules about how discussion threads are conducted (e.g. stay on topic, but there is no such thing as a "protected" thread) stay the same.

Social Groups do allow those groups of like-minded fans to go off into a corner, in addition to their (hopefully continued) participation in public threads, and talk amongst themselves. Some of these groups will be open to everyone, others might be restricted to those who are willing to say (for example) the All Hail Lorne Pledge.

So let's look at it this way: it's in addition to, not instead of. I believe strongly that those who come here to share their opinions (especially strong wants) ought to be willing to listen to others with contrary opinions. But they don't have to do that in e-mail, or on a private mailing list, or when they get together at Chili's in Vancouver, or potentially on a private GW Social Group.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                      Does this affect dial-up users?
                      Does this even exsist anymore?

Comment

I think 3.7 is going to be a blessing for GW. I run a vB forum myself, but havent upgraded yet since I have a whole bunch of template customisations.

It wont cause any overhead on the user-side of things, but will on the server-side for a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                          Heh, I'm glad you said it. I saw at another board a few years ago:
                          infact, why do you have 56k?? are you homeless?
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Heh, I'm glad you said it. I saw at another board a few years ago:
                            infact, why do you have 56k?? are you homeless?
                            LMAO

Comment

This will be interesting. I don't care for Myspace, but Facebook has served me well enough. I got a little carried away with it at the beginning, but right now I don't see it as a time-waster at all.

Do we have the power to moderate our own comments page? I think the answer's a no, but there was a lot of into to take in over the last 2 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                Apparently. The states are not as developed like Europe. I have 16 Mbit at home so I have no problems. I was saying that GW promotes dial-up friendly things and I thought the new changes will conflict with that .

Comment

Working...
                                X