This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
    Major Tyler's Dutch right? That probably means he's fluent in two languages (Dutch and English) and is capable of handling himself in German and French also?

As for a family member that speaks Japanese and Spanish, I wish I had one of those...
    That is on my to do list

Comment

Major Tyler's Dutch right? That probably means he's fluent in two languages (Dutch and English) and is capable of handling himself in German and French also?

As for a family member that speaks Japanese and Spanish, I wish I had one of those...
      Actually I believe Major Tyler is American and living overseas studying at the moment.

It is really cool to have such a diverse family. My Brother in Law is a font of really cool information AND he rides a Harley AND he cooks great food
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
        How many .
        I am not exactly sure but I *think* it is three at least.

English, Flemish (what do they speak in Belgium?) and Dutch.

ETA : just saw Greg had German listed so possibly FOUR MT will have to answer you on this. But he has quite the ear I suspect to have all of those languages. I too envy that ability and admire it
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post

ETA : just saw Greg had German listed so possibly FOUR MT will have to answer you on this. But he has quite the ear I suspect to have all of those languages. I too envy that ability and admire it

Well if he comes from Holland it is a necessity. I live in a smaller country where 4 is the minimum. A stone's throw from him . So I speak the following:

1.Romanian (my mom)
          2.Hungarian(my dad)
          3.English
          4. French
          5. German
          6. Luxembourgish

People can understand me in italian and spanish but I am not as fluent as in the ones I posted.

My girlfriend on the other hand is annoying . She speaks:

1.Danish
          2.Norvegian
          3.English
          4.German
          5. Spanish
          6. Luxembourgish
          7.Italian

...and now she takes classes for Dutch!!!

Comment

WOW I do believe a vast number of the Forum Membership has us beat in languages

Good for you !! That is a pretty stellar accomplishment AND just really awesome

Comment

WOW I do believe a vast number of the Forum Membership has us beat in languages

Good for you !! That is a pretty stellar accomplishment AND just really awesome

Not really . You have moments when you mix them and you play that back in your head and you are like: "Holy crap did I say that"? Often I translate from French to English and then I erase and flip the English button in my brain . I went to Frankfurt and I started talking to the my uncle's banker in French without realising . When he made a funny face, I said, hold on a minute , did I speak German or something else?

Comment

I think in Belgium they speak French and/or Dutch. But they do have some special Belgium words integrated in their Dutch, it's so cute. I think they call their Dutch Flemish. But I don't think it counts as a seperate language
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                  I think in Belgium they speak French and/or Dutch. But they do have some special Belgium words integrated in their Dutch, it's so cute. I think they call their Dutch Flemish. But I don't think it counts as a seperate language
                  It does count. Flemish and Dutch are like German and Swiss German.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Won't calling the head mod old get you in trouble. Were did Sky and Feil get their noodle and paddle names

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
                    (Maybe Darren is Santa and the mods are his elves)
                    My first mod weapon were actually my fingernails which used to be really, really long. But folks seemed to be more "impressed" by the paddle which was originally handed to me by the members of the RDA Thunk Thread of which I'm the mod. And I have to say that it works beautifully to keep folks in line...
                    Last edited by Feli; 28 December 2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli View Post
                      ...paddle which was originally handed to me by the members of the RDA Thunk Thread...
                      hah! i got it right!

so German and Swiss German and different languages, not...not different languages? versions? ...somethings?... *is glad she's a scientist*
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

My favorite ep is Abyss, favorite seasons are 3 and 4.

My rationale is pretty easy: as a long-time RDA fan I enjoy the Jack-heavy eps the most. Especially his interaction with Daniel, I've always loved those scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
                          hah! i got it right!

so German and Swiss German and different languages, not...not different languages? versions? ...somethings?... *is glad she's a scientist*
                          I thought it were like dialects or something.
                          sigpic

Comment

*cough*thoughtthatwaspejorative*cough*
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

What (SciFi) shows do the mods watch? And did the mods ever meet users outside of the forum and how did those users react (especially the mod hating users)?
                              Don't watch any other scifi shows, except SGA of course.

I've been to a lot of conventions over the last couple of years and have therefore met quite a few fellow GateWorlders. Have become good friends with some of them. Luckily I've never encountered a mod hating user, so the reactions have always been positive - or rather neutral. I find that most people don't really care whether I'm a mod here on GW. Which is how it should be because I attend cons as a fan, not as a GW mod.
                              Last edited by Feli; 28 December 2007, 10:04 AM.

Comment

They are not dialects. Dialects for german you find in different zones in Germany. For example French-French and Belgium-French are totally different. I speak French-French and I have problems sometimes understanding Belgiums. Swiss German and Austrian German are a different noodle than German-German. I cannot have a convo with a swiss person because I do not understand what they are on about half the time. I speak German-German

Comment

Working...
                                X