This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Is there anyway to let us know/ give us updates on the alpha site when the forum is acting wonky or under repair? It always says that Gateworld is fine even when the forum isn't working.
    Theres a little button at the top that says forum/list people usually complain there, the mods usually have no idea whats going on though then SuperGreg shows up and saves the day
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Is there anyway to let us know/ give us updates on the alpha site when the forum is acting wonky or under repair? It always says that Gateworld is fine even when the forum isn't working.
      The Alpha Site is more effective for long-term outages (which we certainly hope to never have again, knock-on-wood). It has to be manually updated by your's truly, which means I have to bother coming online, discover the forum is down, try to figure out what's up and if there's anything I can do about it, contact Greg, be convinced that it'll last more than a few minutes, then charge over to the Alpha Site to post an update.

We haven't had one of those in quite a while. Usually it's so minor and short that it's not worth the effort. More often than not, I think that people think the forum is down when it's not -- they're just unable to access it for whatever reason.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

If i may, a suggestion: The GateWorld Yahoo Message Group is a great place to keep tabs on the forum. If the forum is experiencing issues, more than likely, you will find a message about the issue here. It's where I go if the forum is acting overly-silly or having too many hiccups. You need to register in order to post messages, but as a guest, you can read all the messages.

Comment

the yahoo group is actually the fastest way to ask things or spread 'wow, it's down????' since you can receive messages in your e-mail box

sometimes i do think the 'outages' are local phenomenon, something caused by a person's local isp or a burp in the system.

it's quite common for me to get a 404 when i try to get to my yahoo box, but if i just retry it usually resolves itself
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The only problem with that group is when I come back after a few days to have 15 messages about the forum being down 3 days ago, but I guess that I can live with it

Comment

*Wonders if mailing Darren some chili would increase or decrease the post count required for custom avs...*

Seriously though, I have a Q regarding the spoiler rules on GW. I always thought that episodes had to be in spoiler tags until they aired in syndication. This would mean that the second half of season one of Atlantis would currently have to be tagged, for example. However, I read the FAQ yesterday and it says:

"Any thread that contains plot info, surprise developments or character appearances, etc., for episodes in any current or future season, either on either cable or in syndication, must indicate in the first message, or the first message and thread title, that the thread includes spoilers for that episode(s)."

So does that mean that only current (SGA season two) and future (SGA season three and beyond) episodes need spoiler tags and tags aren't needed for the back half of season one because it isn't "current"? Did spoiler rules change recently or am I just confused?

Comment

current is a relative term, but you are correct in presuming that anything that hasn't aired in us syndication needs spoiler tags.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  current is a relative term, but you are correct in presuming that anything that hasn't aired in us syndication needs spoiler tags.
                  So your say that the first half episodes of SG-1 (Season 8) and SGA (Season 1) don't need spoiler tags, since they've already aired in Syndication?
                  sigpic

Comment

yep. i don't get stargate in syndie anymore, so i'm not up on which eps have aired. but any of s8 or atl s1 that have aired in us syndie do not need spoiler tags

season 2, 3 of atl and 9, 10 of sg1 plus those of s1 and 8 that haven't aired in syndie yet do still need tags...and this includes pictures that have spoilers for major plot twists.

for example, jack in the chair from d&c isn't a spoiler, but sam cradling marty, that's a spoiler

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      for example, jack in the chair from d&c isn't a spoiler, but sam cradling marty, that's a spoiler
                      ACK!!!! Spoiled
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Hi
                        I seem to not be unable to subscribe to threads. I know how to, and could at one time, but the feature doesn't seem to work now. Is anyone else having this problem?

Comment

it's my understanding that that's another buggie that happened with the upgrade.

i personally don't subscribe to threads so i dont' have much first hand knowledge.

some have said that if you post in a thread it gives you an option to subscribe, have you tried that?

sigpic

Comment

Im trying that right now as I click the submit reply button.

When did the forum upgrade?

Edit: nope didn't work. Oh well thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Baalroc
                              Im trying that right now as I click the submit reply button.
                              You can set the forum to automatically subscribe to any threads you post in. If you want to subscribe without having a post in the thread. You can post, and then delete your post, but the subscription remains. I know it's a back-door way of doing it, but it's the only means we have at the moment.

To enable automatic subscription, go to "My Controls," "Options," then go to the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" section and choose from the pull-down menu. I personally prefer "No email notification" so that my In-box doesn't fill up.

Good luck and I hope this helps. If it's not clear, feel free to PM me.
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Hey it worked!!

Thanks a lot Major Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X