Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. Im new here. Please dont Zat me 3 times if I ask any n00b questions here that have been asked before. I was just wondering, you've got sites in the gateworld network for other shows besides SG-1 and Atlantis. Why isnt there any like 'Doctor Who (yes I am british but its not my fault, haha)' or 'The Outer Limits?
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz
      Hello. Im new here. Please dont Zat me 3 times if I ask any n00b questions here that have been asked before. I was just wondering, you've got sites in the gateworld network for other shows besides SG-1 and Atlantis. Why isnt there any like 'Doctor Who (yes I am british but its not my fault, haha)' or 'The Outer Limits?
      Hello Billz, zat-a-newbie week is the second week of July so you're off the hook .

Doctor Who has a forum section. It might (stress, *might*, because I really don't know) get a Website section, if the forum section is popular; if Doctor Who gets broadcast in america (where Darren and David, the main writers for the website reside) ;if D & D have the space in their schedules inbetween all the other shows they cover; if Darren actually wants to....

Dunno about The Outer Limits, but I think it's not being made any more which makes it much less likely as a candidate. Star Trek and Farscape got their sections while their shows were current, and Babylon 5 has also had its section a long while, it being well-loved by Darren. Darren owns the site, btw.

D or D might give more informative answers but they're both busy chaps, hope this one is okay for the time being!
      Last edited by Madeleine; 21 October 2005, 04:07 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
        On a similar note to Shadow's post above, I've noticed that the forum takes much longer load ever since the last upgrade. Before the upgrade, everything loaded fine. Ever since the upgrade, the ads at the top of the page load instantaneously, but up to 10 seconds later, the rest of the page loads.

Is the longer load time caused by the forum upgrade? Or the distance between my computer and the host (perth, australia)? Or a combination of both?
        I'm having the same trouble. I have seen the Forgotten Realms picture of Drizzt far too often tonight when trying to read a single post.
        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I am having trouble with subscribing to threads. Whenever I go to subscribe to a thread that I want to subscribe to, it brings up the correct page and I select which folder and not to receive email notification and click add subscribtion, but it still does not subscribe to it and add the thread to my list.

Is there a max number of threads you can subscribe to? Or does the button/link not work correctly or what?

I have firefox (updated version) if that helps answer my question.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
            I am having trouble with subscribing to threads. Whenever I go to subscribe to a thread that I want to subscribe to, it brings up the correct page and I select which folder and not to receive email notification and click add subscribtion, but it still does not subscribe to it and add the thread to my list.
            Read this.
            Originally posted by Darren
            1) Before you ask a question, quickly peruse the last few days' worth of posts here in the 'Ask the Mods' thread. At least 50 percent of the time, you'll find the answer.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
              Why is Mitchell a "bonus" avatar when he is a main cast member?
              I don't believe there is a Mitchell bonus avatar. My own avatar is a custom, though I imagine when we finally stop wasting time being someplace other than the forum it'll become a standard pick. Stay tuned.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Shadow -- I'll have to leave it to Greg to answer that question. I don't know of any unexecuted plans for moving the forum or database.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Here is a question: How come there is no option in your profile to tell people what your gender is? It;s really uncomfortable when you talk to a person all the time and don't know their gender..
                  Well you don't know anyone's gender unless the username is too girly or too boyish..

Comment

Is there any way to have every post in the "Ask Joe Mallozzi" thread reviewed prior to being posted? It would certainly cut down on the posts that don't ask questions, ramble before/after a question, or questions who incorporate "digs" into them. Reading through that thread is downright embarrassing sometimes.

Just read another "Oh, thanks for answering my question!" post and another "why not Jonas?" post. The mods have to constantly warn people and no one seems to listen.

Don't know if that can be done, or if you folks even WANT to go there. Just thought I'd toss out the idea.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      I don't believe there is a Mitchell bonus avatar. My own avatar is a custom, though I imagine when we finally stop wasting time being someplace other than the forum it'll become a standard pick. Stay tuned.
                      Thank you!
                      Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                        Here is a question: How come there is no option in your profile to tell people what your gender is? It;s really uncomfortable when you talk to a person all the time and don't know their gender..
                        Well you don't know anyone's gender unless the username is too girly or too boyish..

That actually would be pretty useful, because I myself refer to everyone as 'he' unless I'm sure they're a female, and some people are unconfertable being called the wrong gender (for some reason..)...just wanted to add my bit

^First post in here in a long time not talking about the RP

^Doh!
                        sigpic
                        Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          Is there any way to have every post in the "Ask Joe Mallozzi" thread reviewed prior to being posted? It would certainly cut down on the posts that don't ask questions, ramble before/after a question, or questions who incorporate "digs" into them. Reading through that thread is downright embarrassing sometimes.

Just read another "Oh, thanks for answering my question!" post and another "why not Jonas?" post. The mods have to constantly warn people and no one seems to listen.

Don't know if that can be done, or if you folks even WANT to go there. Just thought I'd toss out the idea.
                          I have a vBulletin forum and if I remember correctly they could do that, though it would be more work for the mods to have to go through all thoughs posts, if they did do that they would probably want to add a new moderator who’s only job is to approve post on the ask threads

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure

one reason we don't moderate posts in general in the joe thread is because we don't want people to feel like we're censoring thier questions. If we were to moderate every single question, then it's inevitable that someone woudl feel that their question wasn't allowed due to some agenda on our parts.

I did look into the thread last night and there were a couple of comments that weren't questions. and they were a happy birthday wish and a thanks for answering post. yes, they're not questions.

but my POV is, yes, we do want to keep the chatter out of the thread. but also reducing it to nothing but dry questions seems kinda rude to joe. It's like i'm saying 'no one is allowed to talk to you unless they're asking something'

I'm personally trying to strike a balance between having him only read questions and having him innundated with chitchat.

Maybe i'm wrong in my reasoning, if i am, darren will say so.

But i allow those comments for the same reason i haven't deleted any anime or ice cream questions. I would like to think that joe is allowed to be more than the stargate and atlantis answer man.

this is a chance for folks to actually get to know him (and no, that doesn't mean that it's open season on personal questions either)

anyway, that was my rationale for not deleting those couple of comments.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              one reason we don't moderate posts in general in the joe thread is because we don't want people to feel like we're censoring thier questions. If we were to moderate every single question, then it's inevitable that someone woudl feel that their question wasn't allowed due to some agenda on our parts.
                              It probably would fuel more of the "anti-mod" feelings, and I do enjoy the "off topic" questions Joe answers. He did get stuck with some snarky posts today, which he answered in his own way.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

jumps up and down can one of the mods make my thread how many ppl want to see a season 10 a poll please im asking very nicely
                                carter "colone?"
                                o'neill "it,s my side arm, i swear. no giggling."

Comment

Working...
                                X