This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the point of any episode?

To tell a story of some kind. I think this one qualifies.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Just a few observations.
      Tree lady was dead for months and was not on the shuttle.

I thought I saw tree chopper guy walk out of the shuttle after talking with Caine, ending his pain. Again, not on the shuttle.

I think since the colony was now dead, the aliens sent them home for last rites. Repairing the shuttle was necessary to survive the trip.

Caine will die watching the stars with TJ. Note how he was suffering hypothermia as they sat. He only had minutes left.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Whats the point of any episode?

To tell a story of some kind. I think this one qualifies.
        Hahaha what a bunch of smart*sses around here . I meant off course to ask: does this episode take a place in the main story-arc or was it more of a filler-and-tie-loose-ends episode?
        The return part II: Sheppard contacts O'Neill from the jumper and tells him their mission isn''t sanctioned by General Landry.
        General Jack o'Neill: "So am i to assume you're not surrounded by heavily armed SG-teams and young strapping marines?"
        Dr. Weir: "You've got Colonel Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, McKay, myself and Dr. Beckett."
        Jack: "Oooh, Dr. Beckett is it? Oh i'm comforted!"
        Dr. Beckett: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Comment

Well I paused it at least 3 times to do something else on my PC. Thats how bored I was. It sucked so bad. Dead people coming alive only to die again. More rotting corpses on Destiny, please! The ship is so sweet smelling as it is!

The Chloe-Greer thing was also daft. He's asking for forgiveness because he's going to have to kill her. Amazingly Chloe is now a saint because she actually forgives him! St. Smurfette!

Comment

Originally posted by StefanSGA View Post
            Hahaha what a bunch of smart*sses around here . I meant off course to ask: does this episode take a place in the main story-arc or was it more of a filler-and-tie-loose-ends episode?
            Very few if any SGU stories are just filler. The fact it has development from previous episodes makes it arc based
            Jelgate is right

Comment

i found it to be one of the better episodes.

also anything even implying supernatural will result in a cop-out or "cheap" aspect. wheter it's danny dying or the shuttle.

or in BSG, Baltar locating the Tyllium storage. which he literally just randomly picked.

in fact, the entire first season of BSG has lots of infinitesimally small chances having a lot of impact. not including the various prophetic visions, passages, and random findings.

so why is this bad? they have a shuttle, people. now we're gonna destroy the universe!

i'm far more interested in the return of the seedship. telford+intelligent aliens + ancient space ship at full power (the only reason it was stationary was due to some error), plus a gate = return. in fact i'd be disappointed if it DIDN't return.

Comment

it was okay... not every episode can be a 10 right? ..after malice it was to be expected to have a slower paced episode, so I am fine with that as long as the mid season finale is gonna rock! ...after that I am gonna rewatch Season 1- 2.0 and than its gonna be long wait for season 2.5 i wished they would not make this long hiatus....
                sigpic

Comment

This episode was an excellent one IMO. We got throwbacks to the fans with balding asian guy, we got a new shuttle, we got some excellent character moments and we were even rewarded with the notion that not only are there aliens out there advanced enough to do all the things they've done, they're also charitable enough to not only give the Eden settlers another chance to say goodbye, but to provide Destiny with the shuttle fully repaired in the first place.

GREAT, episode.

'Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become'.

Comment

This episode was all about saying goodbye... the Faith planet crew "sent home" to Destiny to say goodbye to their friends; Chloe saying goodbye on her Kino videos.

Caine explained why the obelisk people couldn't just restore them to life permanently... he said that they could give them their bodies back, but not their souls. The "reanimated" crew were only shadows. So these aliens are awesomely powerful, but powerful in a different way than the Ancients, who brought Daniel Jackson (and his soul) back from the dead several times.

I think that the story brought closure to Caine's crew, which reminded me of an episode of Star Trek Voyager called "Course: Oblivion", which showed what eventually happened to a set of duplicates of the Voyager crew left behind on a toxic planet. However, I'm kind of sad that their story is over (supposedly). I like having loose ends dangling around that might get picked up again later. I'm still hoping that we'll see Palmer and Curtis in some new context.

ArchaeoNerd
                    Last edited by ArchaeoNerd; 24 November 2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                      All of the above.
                      /signed other than the fact that Chloe will be on many more episodes so she wont be killed "off"

Comment

Brian J. Smith mentioned on his twitter account today:

The events in 'Visitation' are open to interpretation, but here's mine: I think they were a "gift" from the makers of the 'Faith' planet. They saw those people suffering and dying so they tried to regenerate them and send them back to us. Unfortunately they didn't get the recipe right. Maybe they'll try again one day? But I think it's full of meaning and it's not a filler episode - it all ties in to what's happening with Chloe. Just like the people from 'Faith', she's slowly watching herself die and we're having to find ways to deal with it. Her condition is terminal. It will have to be dealt with eventually. There's denial, dread, helplessness, withdrawal, etc.

And TJ's baby is another interesting conundrum that we don't really fully answer on purpose - was it the ship implanting a dreamed simulation in her mind? Is it possible the makers of the planet could make a baby for her? Or is the baby just dead? It could be any of those things and more and that's why it's so heartbreaking to me.
                        Grimm returns October 24
                        sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                        Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by StefanSGA View Post

Its not about anyone being a smart---. Its about people being tired of posts like yours which try to hold EVERY episode of SGU to a standard that no other series was expected to be held to. What was the point of any episode of SG1 or SGA? What was the point of any episode of any show that aired this week?

And stop trying to cover up what your true intent was because your title made it all to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                            Its not about anyone being a smart---. Its about people being tired of posts like yours which try to hold EVERY episode of SGU to a standard that no other series was expected to be held to. What was the point of any episode of SG1 or SGA? What was the point of any episode of any show that aired this week?

And stop trying to cover up what your true intent was because your title made it all to clear.
                            Well, excuse me for asking a serious question.... You're implying all kinds of stuff about me with your response and i hope you're not doing this with every other SGU-fan around here, because there aren't that many left. I'm seriously considering leaving this board, because i really don't like responses like yours. So thank you for ruining this thread.
                            The return part II: Sheppard contacts O'Neill from the jumper and tells him their mission isn''t sanctioned by General Landry.
                            General Jack o'Neill: "So am i to assume you're not surrounded by heavily armed SG-teams and young strapping marines?"
                            Dr. Weir: "You've got Colonel Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, McKay, myself and Dr. Beckett."
                            Jack: "Oooh, Dr. Beckett is it? Oh i'm comforted!"
                            Dr. Beckett: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                              Brian J. Smith mentioned on his twitter account today:
                              They let him put that all in a tweet? I'm in most agreement. They left in ambigous for a reason. We just don't know because well their are just things we are unaware even at the moment.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                They let him put that all in a tweet? I'm in most agreement. They left in ambigous for a reason. We just don't know because well their are just things we are unaware even at the moment.
                                I do not know if they let him put all that , in any case he did. Maybe he'll get a phone call from the writers to 'shut up' in the future
                                Grimm returns October 24
                                sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                                Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Working...
                                X