Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again, Rush making unilateral decision, and everybody else having to deal with the consequences.

Destiny, obviously, based on the data it had gathered previously, had surmised that such a confrontation was possible and likely. Destiny needed Young to come up with a solution before it continued it's journey, because without a solution, Destiny would explode or be taken over by the Blue Aliens. So, Destiny stops, adrift in space, and here comes Rush, bypassing Destiny and continuing the journey.

Also, Rush's interaction with Cloe at the beginning reminds me of Matt Damon's professor in 'Good Will Hunting'. Very creepy. It's amazing how he can make such an unpalatable and devious endeavor sound so reasonable. There is no depth that he won't sink to in order to advance his agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
      This, more than Cloverdale, was Scott's episode. Congrats to the actor and the writers!
      I wanted to second this. I really liked how the actor played his scenes, and damn, that "dream" sequence with the cracked observation window and Scott telling them to seal off the observation area, because he knew what was about to happen to him, was really good.

Lt. Scott, I am impressed. You are growing up - and I'm thinking I see the shadows of a hero forming around the shape of a kid.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
        How obtuse of you.
        Teal'c, the ultimate warrior in SG-1, had the same hopeless, uncaring response in the episode where he was trapped in the game chair, where he had to battle the Cold Warriors. No matter what he tried, the ending was the same failure. By himself, he couldn't solve the problem, he realized it, and gave up.
        Just like Young.
        Young, realizing that he's re-running the same dream scenario, regardless of how real it seemed to him, nothing working, offense didn't work, defense didn't work, this possible scenario of letting go of Cloe, is a dream, NOT real, and he'll find out the outcome that is not real, why would he care to show any emotion other than what he actually showed?
        It's a joke on him, it's not real, and he behaved accordingly.
        Ouch! Obtuse? Anyways, I don't 100% recall that Teal'c episode, but I wanna say that he went through many many scenarios. Lots more than 3. Bill Murray didn't start killing himself after a handful of Groundhog days. I liked the episode. But I'm allowed to feel like "father-figure Young" is easier on my timid psyche. Obtuse....
        sigpic
        Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
        O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
        Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
        O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Finally I had the opportunity to confirm that the one commanding Destiny is ...Destiny. Sorry, Rush, the girl has let you in for the ride, but she does have her own agenda.
          damn, I think I handed out all my green on this one thread
          But this really jumped out at me and I think this is going to be something that'll come back later. Rush may think he controls her but that big girl has a mind of her own
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            Atlantis did have an AI, one that can be argued to be close to as forward thinking as this one. Look at the quarantine. It could determine that the infection wasn't spreading, knew to recognize suits it had never before encountered as safe from the infection, and instituted lockdown protocols when things got out of hand. The only difference between then and now is that Atlantis isn't psychic, but then you probably don't want your capital city screwing with your dreams.
            Eh, that isn't an AI. In fact, it would have been a damn stupid AI because there was no contagion. That's more like a fire alarm that was tripped. No, Destiny wasn't built with an AI, but somewhere along the line, it may have developed a partial one due to things it encountered along the way, such as the Faith aliens. And I'm betting that it's not quite Destiny, but the Faith aliens or ascended ancients doing something. Or Franklin.

Also, Rush's interaction with Cloe at the beginning reminds me of Matt Damon's professor in 'Good Will Hunting'. Very creepy. It's amazing how he can make such an unpalatable and devious endeavor sound so reasonable. There is no depth that he won't sink to in order to advance his agenda.
            Yes, no depth he won't sink to. Like giving you exactly what you want. Oooh, the horrible, horrible man! How DARE he give me what I want and try to help me!

Wait a minute....

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              damn, I think I handed out all my green on this one thread
              But this really jumped out at me and I think this is going to be something that'll come back later. Rush may think he controls her but that big girl has a mind of her own
              Rush is like Destiny's father. He has more control then strangers but no one controls Destiny but Destiny
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

My first thought was: this is a even more depressing version of time, to show case all the imperfections of Young's leadership. aren't we going to see the end of all this doom and gloom? And then...

I have to swallow everything I wrote before about Scott's lack of character depth or development. In my defense, it the writers a whole season and a quarter to get here.
                This, more than Cloverdale, was Scott's episode. Congrats to the actor and the writers! Maybe Scott went for this line of action because wasn't feeling prepared for command this early in his life, maybe because he saw Young as father figure. Or not. He more than anyone, saw Young's flaws, and was able to see him as he was and not as he wished Young would be. Which is a clear sign of maturity when we are able to see the imperfections in our role models and accept them as a whole. He was able to see the humanity in Young which could and did hinder him but would make him an acceptable leader, THE leader, because he did feel the burden of difficult decisions, unlike visionary but callous Rush.

Finally I had the opportunity to confirm that the one commanding Destiny is ...Destiny. Sorry, Rush, the girl has let you in for the ride, but she does have her own agenda.
                So no matter how you may choose to see it: Rush was able to by pass the simulation, Ginn (sp?) was able to control by manipulating Eli, maybe Eli was able to control it or Destiny just kept control of herself: the Ship is headed for a course that will be interesting to follow. No one could ask more from a Sci-fi show.
                I so agree with what you say here about Scott. For the first time I stood up and took notice of him - what an EXCELLENT scene between him and Young! I would really like to see more of this Scott, and not the wishy-washy sort of fella they've shown us so far. Brian did a fantastic job in this ep...I thought he was the highlight (though that little bit between Greer and Eli in the mess was priceless..."Obvious is good!" ).

das
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
                  Ouch! Obtuse? Anyways, I don't 100% recall that Teal'c episode, but I wanna say that he went through many many scenarios. Lots more than 3. Bill Murray didn't start killing himself after a handful of Groundhog days. I liked the episode. But I'm allowed to feel like "father-figure Young" is easier on my timid psyche. Obtuse....
                  Yes, obtuse...
                  It's not how many times you run through the scenario. It's when you realize that it's a dream, not reality. That you're stuck in a loop. That's when you change your actions. Just like Young.

Comment

I very much liked this episode. Scott shone in this episode(but I've always liked Scott)
                    he's being forced to grow up and assume possibly a leadership position very quickly.
                    The part where he
                    Spoiler:
                    got sucked into space was chilling even if it was Youngs vision.

I really felt for Young in this episode
                    Spoiler:
                    His downward slide which we saw coming. And the scene between Young and TJ I felt for TJ he just blew her off completly when she was trying to talk about the baby. I can't see him doing that.

Comment

Like to point out that you can have dark drama and humor in the same episode. you had Greer and Eli on one side which I found hilarious, and then you had Col. Young losing his mind on the other end. The best part is, the humor fit well into this episode, imo.

See SGU is not always dark and depressing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                        Yes, no depth he won't sink to. Like giving you exactly what you want. Oooh, the horrible, horrible man! How DARE he give me what I want and try to help me!

Wait a minute....
                        Yeah, Rush is giving exactly what Cloe wants. If you believe Rush has any inclination or desire to help Cloe, than you're hallucinating, big time.
                        In fact, concocting a scheme to have Cloe sit in the neuro-interface chair may actually speed up Cloe's alien change understanding Destiny faster, thereby placing Destiny and it's crew in danger faster.

Comment

Yeah, Rush is giving exactly what Cloe wants. If you believe Rush has any inclination or desire to help Cloe, than you're hallucinating, big time.
                          Irrelevant. He tried, and even succeeded in giving her freedom for a short while. And now he's trying to keep her mind occupied so she doesn't go nuts sitting in the room, AND giving her a way she can finally contribute to life aboard Destiny. Or is it that you want her to stay as a freeloader?

Regardless of what reason you think he's doing it, the fact remains that he is giving her what she wants. When someone gives you money to buy something of yours, do you think, "What evil and creepy intentions this man has, for he is taking something from me!"

In fact, concocting a scheme to have Cloe sit in the neuro-interface chair may actually speed up Cloe's alien change understanding Destiny faster, thereby placing Destiny and it's crew in danger faster.
                          Since we have no evidence of that, you'll have to retract the statement, accusatory baseless assumptions are the tactics of politicians in an election cycle. I expect a bit better here.

In fact, there was every reason to believe it might work. At the least, it was a chance, when no one else had any ideas before. So yes, how dare Rush come up with the only possible idea. He should have been like everyone else and sat around on his ass doing nothing!

Geez, this Rush-hate knows no bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                            Eh, that isn't an AI. In fact, it would have been a damn stupid AI because there was no contagion. That's more like a fire alarm that was tripped. No, Destiny wasn't built with an AI, but somewhere along the line, it may have developed a partial one due to things it encountered along the way, such as the Faith aliens. And I'm betting that it's not quite Destiny, but the Faith aliens or ascended ancients doing something. Or Franklin.
                            Not the second time where the entire ship locked down, the first time with the nano-plague. It's the same situation here. The city realizes something is wrong and takes steps to quarantine it when it gets out of hand, also knowing that some people are safe. But, admittedly, it's not nearly as invasive as this AI.

I seriously doubt it's the Faith aliens, because that doesn't fit with the computer running the simulation at the exact same time. If it were just the aliens doing it, it wouldn't be showing up in the computer system (unless they really feel like hiding their presence).

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                              I would really like to see more of this Scott, and not the wishy-washy sort of fella they've shown us so far.
                              In the first couple episodes of season one, Scott was pretty hardcorps. Not that it took him very long to stop being so hardcorps.

-----

I just hope that we start seeing more SciFi, not Sci-Fantasy since many recent episodes were mostly dream state / virtual reality based, than We are Here based. Granted that this one was a nice mixture of it. But it ranks up there with Time in terms of reset button. With a bit more progress.

Comment

This was by far my favorite episode so far, it was almost perfect in tone, action, mystery, drama and...well everything.

SGU fufilled its potential in this episode in a way that no other episode has even come close to in my opinion - hope they can keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X