• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This show finally grew some balls. Kick Arse

Comment

Originally posted by Ssuper Kyle View Post
      I think Chloe called in the calvary.

How do we know there aren't other seeder ships near by?
      We don't .

Originally posted by cjp240573 View Post
      I agree, just finished this ep. and wow, I want more. This is what Stargate is all about.
      Exactly!

Originally posted by ted leski View Post
      Another great one!! I am really enjoying SGU now after dragging through the first 1 and a half seasons. I mean it was good stuff early on, its just that I didn't take to the slow pace very well but I got all the necessary character stuff by utilizing fast forward (controlling what and when I see certain parts of the episodes. I can just watch them all the way through now.

I wanna see what Chloe looks like in full alien transformation make-up (she'll probably be all CG after that anyway). Does the actress still get paid after that.
      Well, I don't think she'll be CGI because her metamorphasis is not shrinking her, so it should still have her form in one way or another. If she plays the completely metamorphasized Chloe, or if she voices the CGI, then yes, she will still be paid. Otherwise, she will not get paid, because if they don't plan on using her character again, then her contract will be over.

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
      well, I had same feeling like I had while watching "Space". This episode was a huge disappointment for me. Action, action and action, ntohing more. I want more than huge explosions, sparks, shooting, aliens, other silly features. I want episdoes like Visitation, not Resurgence. The last thing I wanna see is another idiotic clasical Stargate concept
      There were a lot of emotional exchanges between characters, a lot of character development, and plot development. Not to mention the graphic effects.

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
      is Creer an alien with healing powers ?
      two episodes back he got shot and now he can go to the missions out in space jump to other ship
      all show is 10 months so two episodes back should be week , maximum 2 weeks but usealy these insuries will heal with in month 2 or even more
      Did you mean Greer? If so, then no, he is not. If he was not majorly wounded, he would heal faster. Besides, he's a tough cookie . Also, you can't judge the time frame per episode/between episodes unless they specifically mention it. Also, "Faith" took place over a month, and most episodes are approximately 1-3 days, not including FTL jumps in between and off-camera events.
      Last edited by sgc; 03 December 2010, 02:05 PM. Reason: finished post

Comment

what was the kid genius named agein ?
        he was with the lesbian derapist and sed he's been on board for 10 months
        you can be tough cookie but you dont heal gun shot with a week or two thats just not real
        i have burned my feat on fire and didnt get to walk rite for a while but the damage was not so sevire like Greer got with the gun shot .. he was lucky to make it trough the gate back to ship
        took me months to heal them and years for the mental part ...
        sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Being a mid-season finale, I was rather disappointed by this episode. There were too many plot holes and way too many conveniences.

How did
          Spoiler:
          Telford find the Destiny
          ? Wasn't
          Spoiler:
          he in an entirely different galaxy
          ? How did
          Spoiler:
          he manage to time his arrival just seconds before their would-be demise
          ? And if
          Spoiler:
          the aliens that were with Telford were so peaceful
          then why the hell
          Spoiler:
          were they firing on all the crew before Telford got stuck with them
          ? Or are we just supposed to assume that the
          Spoiler:
          alien pods' neural interfaces made Telford an evil, untrustworthy alien mind himself
          ? How on earth can we assume that when
          Spoiler:
          the neural interface that Rush used on a different alien race kept him completely sane and himself
          ?]

The biggest plot hole was when
          Spoiler:
          they went into the star. They couldn't fire up their FTL engines, but a star that wasn't there before now appears out of nowhere and they can conveniently just fire up their sub-light engines and fly right into it, vaporizing their attackers. How f@#$%g convenient.
          Did anybody in the back room writing this stuff even ponder for one moment just how on earth these details are supposed to be explained? Just how stupid do the writers think we are?

Sure, there was plenty of action here, lots of interesting dialog, and an interesting new arc working its way into the series. But SG-U is really starting to lose my respect with these ridiculous plot holes. It completely takes away the fun of the show when the believability is vaporized because so many ridiculously convenient or inexplicable things are going on all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy77 View Post

How did
            Spoiler:
            Telford find the Destiny
            Thier is a subspace link between Destiny and Seeder ship. Not hard to follow
            Wasn't
            Spoiler:
            ?
            No
            How did
            Spoiler:
            ?
            Good timing. Its a common TV cliche

And if
            Spoiler:
            then why the hell
            Spoiler:
            ?
            To protect their own skin. Look at it from their prespective. A bunch of people just invaded your place of residence. Doubtful you are going to be calm and let them invade
            Or are we just supposed to assume that the
            Spoiler:
            alien pods' neural interfaces made Telford an evil, untrustworthy alien mind himself
            Spoiler:
            the neural interface that Rush used on a different alien race kept him completely sane and himself
            ?]
            Telford seemed the same as he was from Awakening
            /
            Spoiler:
            they went into the star. They couldn't fire up their FTL engines, but a star that wasn't there before now appears out of nowhere and they can conveniently just fire up their sub-light engines and fly right into it, vaporizing their attackers. How f@#$%g convenient.
            Did anybody in the back room writing this stuff even ponder for one moment just how on earth these details are supposed to be explained? Just how stupid do the writers think we are?

Sure, there was plenty of action here, lots of interesting dialog, and an interesting new arc working its way into the series. But SG-U is really starting to lose my respect with these ridiculous plot holes. It completely takes away the fun of the show when the believability is vaporized because so many ridiculously convenient or inexplicable things are going on all at once.
            First of all that doesn't fit the description of a plot hole. Arguing the convience is pointless as its personal opinion, however sublight and FTL are separate engines so I don't see why one being damanged would automatically damange the other
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Being a mid-season finale, I was rather disappointed by this episode. There were too many plot holes and way too many conveniences.

How did
              Spoiler:
              Telford find the Destiny
              ? Wasn't
              Spoiler:
              ? How did
              Spoiler:
              ? And if
              Spoiler:
              then why the hell
              Spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              ?]

Spoiler:

Just so you know, you don't need to use spoiler tags when you are in the thread for the episode. Anyways:

1. Destiny was not in FTL. The ships have sensors capable of communicating with each other and locating each other.
              2. No, he was not in a different galaxy.
              3. The sensors on the seed ship(s) can't "talk" to Destiny while Destiny's in FTL. Destiny dropped out, and then Telford plotted the course with the help of the Ursini. They had to make a detour. If they dropped out into Destiny's position before going to the graveyard, they would have had to take a jump lasting approximately 1 day give or take.
              4. This was also explained in the episode. The Ursini were scared and desperate. They merely stunned them, so they knew that they weren't going to permanently harm them.
              5. You don't assume anything . I sort of doubt that the pods would do that, but that's an assumption .
              6. We aren't entirely certain that it kept him completely sane. It was also a primarily read-only (but not entirely read-only) device where Rush was the output.
              7. It didn't appear out of nowhere. They have full sub-light capability because they cracked the master code. They didn't have FTL capability because the drives took damage from the attack drones. Also, it did not vaporize all of the attackers; only a few of the attacking were vaporized. Most of them are still out there.

Also, Stargate tends to leave minor holes and loose ends intentionally and then fill them in during the next couple episodes to leave the viewers interested. Additionally, they do not think we are stupid. If they did, they would fill in every tiny detail for us. Some of it we are supposed to answer on our own.

Comment

How did
                Spoiler:
                Telford find the Destiny
                ? Wasn't
                Spoiler:
                ? How did
                Spoiler:
                ? And if
                Spoiler:
                then why the hell
                Spoiler:
                Spoiler:
                Spoiler:
                ?]

Spoiler:

EDIT: Removed 1-3 as they had been answered above.

4/5 - How did the aliens know we were peaceful? Did you expect the aliens to allow us to take all their power?!?
                6 - Why does Telford have to be evil because he's teamed with the Ursini? Things aren't that black and white.
                7 - What does this have to do with Resurgence? But overall, the ancients (from what I've read) aren't that biologically different to us.
                8 - If there wasn't a star, then why was there such an amount of light on the ships to begin with? Though, I do think it was a bad production choice not to show the star earlier.

Sorry that you're losing respect for the show, hopefully these responses have helped you connect some dots and see that the writers aren't stupid after all.
                SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
                SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
                ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
                Spoiler:
                *beep*
                Young: "What the hell was that?"
                Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
                  EDIT: Removed 1-3 as they had been answered above.

4/5 - How did the aliens know we were peaceful? Did you expect the aliens to allow us to take all their power?!?
                  6 - Why does Telford have to be evil because he's teamed with the Ursini? Things aren't that black and white.
                  7 - What does this have to do with Resurgence? But overall, the ancients (from what I've read) aren't that biologically different to us.
                  8 - If there wasn't a star, then why was there such an amount of light on the ships to begin with? Though, I do think it was a bad production choice not to show the star earlier.

Sorry that you're losing respect for the show, hopefully these responses have helped you connect some dots and see that the writers aren't stupid after all.
                  4-5) They didn't. They can refuel the ship now, so it's not permanently taking all their power. If they do it with a star close enough, they can refuel it and it'll be full again.

6) He doesn't.

8) Are you sure they didn't even show it earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                    4-5) They didn't. They can refuel the ship now, so it's not permanently taking all their power. If they do it with a star close enough, they can refuel it and it'll be full again.

6) He doesn't.

8) Are you sure they didn't even show it earlier?
                    4/5 - I was replying to stimpy77

6 - That was my point

8 - Yes. I'll double check again though, now. EDIT: Yes I'm sure, I cannot see any close star at all before they were told to follow Telford. I think that was a bad production choice.

Spoiler:
                    *beep*
                    Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
                      Yes I'm sure, I cannot see any close star at all before they were told to follow Telford. I think that was a bad production choice.
                      There would have to be a nearby star or all those dead ships would have been dark and impossible to see.

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                        Resurgence is number 8 in the US after being out for almost 2 days. GO SGU!
                        WOOHOOOOO!

Or the mines in The Serpent's Venom or Company of Thieves.
                        Forgot those two eps.

How do we know there aren't other seeder ships near by?
                        Unless seed ships are armed (which from what we have seen they don't seem to be), that would be pointless.

When looked at logically, what you consider a plothole/contrivance are not.

Telford find the Destiny
                        Since the Seed ships and the Destiny share a subspace link, it is EASY for one to find the other. Just like we could find todd when needed due to the tracker in him.

Watch the damn episode again. Awakenings happened in THIS GALAXY.. we crossed from the last one to this in the Season 1 ep where Amanda perry was brought over from..

He didn't. It was just scripted that way. No contrivance there.

Lets look at it shall wel..
                        You have your hole life stored up with/linked to pods that draw power from the ship you are in. Someone else strange comes in, and starts drawing power away. Would YOU Not shoot them?

Comment

Spoiler:
                          How did
                          Spoiler:
                          Telford find the Destiny
                          ? Wasn't
                          Spoiler:
                          ? How did
                          Spoiler:
                          ? And if
                          Spoiler:
                          then why the hell
                          Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:
                          ?]

Spoiler:

[respoilered the above, for brevity]

I didn't see any plot holes. Because you don't get something doesn't make it a plot hole

Finding the Destiny when you're aboard a seed ship that's tied in to Destiny and in the same galaxy shouldn't be all that hard. Arrival at the last minute? That has been known to happen in the past and not just in the land of science fiction either. It was exciting as it could have been anybody coming in, an enemy, another bunch of aliens, anybody. It's cool that it was Telford. Peaceful? Based on what? I think it's a stretch to say that the Ursini are peaceful based on what we've seen of them so far. I think we simply don't know enough and I wouldn't trust Telford on the matter. Part of that is because I don't trust Telford but it's also that there is no way to gauge the truthfulness of what he believes he's learned. I do think it's pretty interesting that the two races use a neural interface but that's probably just me

I don't think a star just magically appeared so much as it wasn't needed in the shot before then and so wasn't shown. Convenient? Sure, probably, but not a plot hole. It's hardly inexplicable and I don't think the writers think we're stupid at all, or they would show it by taking us by the hand and talking us through all the minutiae so that they could be assured that we got it. They haven't done that, because they expect us to get it.
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Fast-paced, action-packed episode, but there were just too many plot holes/contrivances for my taste (Destiny detecting energy signature, but not the seeder ship which was nearby; sun coming out of nowhere; Destiny's uber shields succumbing to half a dozen drones even though the ship had just replenished its energy reserves, etc.). No big pay-off either due to the annoying cliffhanger. Young has to be the most uninspired starship captain ever. District 9 aliens strike again... How stupid are Young and Rush, eh? Fool me once, shame you; fool me twice, shame on the writers. They might as well transfer command of the ship to Augment Chloe. She's far more intelligent and better looking.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                              Fast-paced, action-packed episode, but there were just too many plot holes/contrivances for my taste (Destiny detecting energy signature, but not the seeder ship which was nearby; sun coming out of nowhere; Destiny's uber shields succumbing to half a dozen drones even though the ship had just replenished its energy reserves, etc.). No big pay-off either due to the annoying cliffhanger. Young has to be the most uninspired starship captain ever. District 9 aliens strike again... How stupid are Young and Rush, eh? Fool me once, shame you; fool me twice, shame on the writers. They might as well transfer command of the ship to Augment Chloe. She's far more intelligent and better looking.
                              Destiny didn't see the seed ship because they were in FTL. The sun was always there, otherwise the scene would have been very dark (though, I do agree, bad production choice not to show the sun in any of the scenes - they also had time constraints for such a big storyline)

Spoiler:
                              *beep*

Comment

Hey, thanks for the input on Resurgence, the first part of the big mid-season two-parter. I had a somewhat easier time writing this one than Awakening (#214). Anyway, some random thoughts on the episode -

I particularly enjoyed this one because it allowed for opportunities for humor. When Volker says “Are you kidding? That’s exactly how you judge a neighborhood.”, he’s actually channeling yours truly. I’m really enjoying writing for some of the supporting players (specifically, the geek squad of Brody, Park, and Volker) and they really shined in this episode. More terrific little moments for them to come in the back half (see #216, The Hunt).

Paul complained it was too subtle, but did anyone else catch the the 2001 reference in Eli’s “big black monolith orbiting a planet” line?

We’ve established a burgeoning friendship between Wray and Eli (Faith, Pathogen), so I figured Wray would be the best person to approach Eli about his recent loss. It was an issue that needed to be addressed, one that would, no doubt, deeply affect someone like Eli. I thought it was particularly interesting to imagine the scenario he refers to, his whole world being distilled down to less than a hundred people in a confined space, and how any change in said scenario would be greatly magnified. In retrospect, even though he avoids talking about his true feelings, Eli demonstrates incredible emotional strength in the face of tragedy.

Scott is his own worst enemy, something we came to learn in Cloverdale, and as much as he may want to do the right thing, his own subconscious may betray him – as is this case here where he outwardly insists he’ll support Chloe only to have her point out that he’s already started pulling away from her. When the time comes to make the hard decision, will he be able to step up and be honest with both her and himself?

Loved exploiting the interplay between these two very different characters, the uptight Brody and the calm and collected Greer. Love the look on Brody’s face when Greer throws him the ominous “Too quiet” line.

Also, love the obvious chemistry between Varro and T.J. As much as I love Young as a character, I think he’s bad for her.
                                But, of course, Everett disagrees – which will make for some interesting dramatic developments later this season.

“Either that or pie’s done. Nope. Simulation.” Seriously, love the plethora of dings, bleeps, beeps, and whistles that pepper SF shows.

This onscreen battle sequence was incredibly tricky to pull off, but the boys in playback did an amazing job creating a simulation that helped tell the story. Some (aka my writing partner Paul) didn’t think it could be done!

Awesome space battle courtesy Mark Savela and his uber-talented VFX team.

I was toying with various ultimately unsatisfactory scenarios for how Destiny manages to shake the drones, but it was only after exchanging emails with our Creative Consultant, John Scalzi, that the solution presented itself.
                                I wrote John: “I was sitting at my desk agonizing over my latest Stargate outline when it suddenly hit me. Hey, why don’t I share the love and have John agonize over it as well. [I explain the premise]. Thoughts? And, no we can’t have space dolphins magically appear and surround Destiny. I already pitched that out and, for some reason, Brad wasn’t enthused. I think maybe Battlestar already did it.” To which John replied: “First, this show’s bias against space dolphins SICKENS me and always has. [...] But I did think of something along that might work for your purposes; Destiny, as you know, has the singular ability to dive into a star. Why not have it attacked and then take refuge inside the local star?” I imagined the cool visual of those pursuing drones flaming out and was immediately sold.

Rush’s Darth Vader speech to Eli. Things come to a bit of an emotional head for Eli here and he receives a boost from, of all people, Rush. What’s Rush’s game? Clearly, he needs Eli to be on his game and he sees a lot of exploitable potential in the boy – yet the advice he offers Eli is as much an insight into his character as Eli’s. When he says “I’m sure you were so blinded by rage you imagined getting revenge on the man who killed her, besting the bully on his terms. But even if you had, it wouldn’t have changed a damn thing. You’d wake up every morning and she’d still be dead.”, he’s not only dousing Eli with cold reality, but offering a glimpse into his own vulnerabilities. It wouldn’t have changed a damn thing and he should know because he did best the bully and it didn’t change a damn thing. I love writing Rush when he’s indirect, unfathomable in his motivations. Is he motivated by empathy here or is his motivation self-serving? Check out a parallel bridge scene in episode #214, The Hunt, and get back to me.

Chloe’s lightning quick and painful looking take-down of the Corporal Baras courtesy of James “Bam Bam” Bamford.
                                http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...gence-mailbag/
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X