This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENOUGH

Smacks thread with the 'on topic' clue by four.

Back to discussing the episode please

thanks
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
      I hear you brother! If only we could get an episode without any black people!

Look, im glad you are enjoying the show and its your right to be a homophobe and I guess its Gateworlds right to allow that kind of talk on here but her relationship ship could be interchanged with any other relationship on the show. The only difference is that she is in a relationship with another woman. If you dislike the show having episodes showing her relationship then you should hate all episodes that show romantic relationships because thats all it is.. a relationship.

Also have you ever seen 90210? Completely different shows.
      Who's a homophobe, that stuff adds nothing to this SCIFI show. I suppose I'm a sociopathphobe, a dingbatphobe, 90210phobe too?

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        It almost seems self-destructive, but not in a Spencer way. Like he is trying to punish himself (somebody else made that suggestion earlier in the thread, but I can't find it now). In fact, in reminds me a lot of the way Jack was, especially early on.
        I agree...it does seem self-destructive. Its like he wants to do something to put his life in danger. Yes, it will make others see him as a savior, but I think he has more self-serving intents.

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
        Hmmm... this why its complicated. I absolutely agree that some people are conditioned to hate. I just don't know that what we are talking about here is that kind of hate. I believe that its the case that people can and are born where to them certain kinds of sexualities are as I said anything from uncomfortable to gross. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with them.

Not just sexualities either. You don't see alot of ugly people on tv? We are born to be drawn toward certain traits and repelled by others. That whole evolution thing...
        I see where you're coming from. But to think something is "gross" or "uncomfortable" is a learned trait. Some people think that interracial couples are "gross," but they weren't born thinking that.

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        Who's a homophobe, that stuff adds nothing to this SCIFI show. I suppose I'm a sociopathphobe, a dingbatphobe, 90210phobe too?
        While I think your statement is funny...I feel that various races, cultures, genders, AND sexualities have a place in sci-fi. Its how the real world is and shows a more realistic cross section of society. Besides, its not like they showed Wray doing anything. There's been more explicit hetersexual love fests and no homosexual ones.
        sigpic

Comment

This was a very good episode. I especially liked the end. I wasn't even expecting to enjoy this episode as much as I did by the end of it. This was actually the first time I've felt really sad about the cancellation. (As apposed to being just slightly disappointed)
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            This was a very good episode. I especially liked the end. I wasn't even expecting to enjoy this episode as much as I did by the end of it. This was actually the first time I've felt really sad about the cancellation. (As apposed to being just slightly disappointed)
            I know what you mean. If the cancellation had happened during the first season...I wouldn't have batted an eye. But the show has grown and it seems to continually be getting better.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
              Im going to make an acception to my above comment where I ended my inclusion in this debate because your the original person who made the debated comment and because it looks as if Skydiver or one of the other moderators decided to delete a good hunk on the debate (but not earlier stuff for some reason). I assume you didnt see everything that was written because your post is right after the moderators.

I and other people took it as homophobic and debated it a lot. People also defended you. It was apparently the most off topic a discussion has ever become. Points were made on both sides but for some reason that's all deleted now.

To the moderators: Im not trying to break any rule and i'm sorry if I am but i figured since you guys allowed him to say something about the whole thing I could as well.

Comment

There were some good points, but there was also a lot of mindless bickering, sniping and snarking.

Let's get this back to discussing the episode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  I agree...it does seem self-destructive. Its like [Greer] wants to do something to put his life in danger. Yes, it will make others see him as a savior, but I think he has more self-serving intents.
                  Perhaps Greer is suffering from survivor guilt and his self-less acts are his way of justifying his continued existence.

Comment

The show was one of the, if not the best episode so far.

I'm predicting we see less and less of the things that made season 1 special (feel free to take that however you please for those that offend easily). It is nice to see the ship incorporating the minds of people - perhaps everyone on their deathbeds can be "captured" in this manner. It looks like Rush wasn't crazy (with regards to Franklin anyway). Greer getting sick or possibly dieing will make the show a lot more realistic (kidney transplant by someone with less training/knowledge than a nurse GMAB).

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      Very enjoyable episode. I wonder if SGU had put out episodes like this from the get go if we'd be having a season 3! I feel the episode was very well balanced and had some interesting plot implications.
                      One could hope. Though i think it was more to do with the shift from Friday to Tuesday.

People often confuse "tolerance" with "have to like it." There are certain things that some people just don't like, and not liking something does not make them bad. I don't like seeing two guys make out with each other; does that make me a homophobe? I don't mind two women as much, but generally I don't like to see relationship drama in my stargate at all, gay or otherwise.
                      Agreed. I don't like Country music, but if someone else where i work does and is playing it, i at least don't go off on them. I tolerate their choice..

Originally posted by Meshakhad View Post
                      For canceling this show, I CURSE SyFy! May they live in interesting times!
                      IMO may the flees of a thousand camels nestle in all their genital regions!

Given Rush’s nature, perhaps Rush is HAL in this scene.
                      Well, like Hal, Rush has worked against the others at times.

Eli reassures Ginn that the current situation is a temporary one, that the crew will somehow find host bodies for their consciousnesses, but how probable, to say nothing of ethical, is that scenario? Who among the crew would give up their body and what would happen to the host’s consciousness?
                      A subject brought up in X3... Xavier was talking about whether a man in a coma could be taken over by someone else in need of a good body.
                      Or something to that effect.

In Mandy and Ginn’s return, not only are two well-loved characters returning, but there is also hope that others who have been killed may be able to return as well, in some way, if only their signals could be found.
                      Like who?? No one else died using the Comm Stones in this area of space.. Riley died on a planet. TJ's baby died in the womb. Those on the Faith planet died from exposure.

That two of those people returned in the body of Chloe made for some great scenes between Eli, Scott and Rush, as all of their conflicting desires played out.
                      Those scenes alone imo should push this episode if not the entire series for an Emy award. Or what ever that TV show specific one is..

The entire “medical team”, such as it is, comes together to get her through it. There is a good deal of humour scattered through the episode and while I found laughing about erectile dysfunction to be a little juvenile, it certainly did break the tension and provided a much needed emotional break for those close to both Volker and Greer.
                      I was actually surprised Varro, and some of the other regulars we see in the infirmary over the past eps were not in there..

When Greer says that Volker would do the same for him, there’s a flicker of shame on Volker’s face, perhaps knowing that this certainly wasn’t true at one time. Perhaps that’s changed.
                      I know from personal experience, having that level of a selfless act done for yourself does make one change their mind in doing it for someone else.

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                      I often wonder at his motivations. We got a little glimpse in Lost, now another glimpse, but he's quite enigmatic in that way. He's a great character and not at all the stereotype I thought he'd be at first.
                      Perhaps he feels by doing so, he can reclaim something his family lost when his dad went cookoo or what ever.

While I think your statement is funny...I feel that various races, cultures, genders, AND sexualities have a place in sci-fi. Its how the real world is and shows a more realistic cross section of society.
                      I dont agree. Especially if done JUST to push a 'demographic' ticker.. Which this seems.

Comment

Tough episode to rate, but to me it feels (even without factoring in the cancellation) like SGU really has jumped the shark.

There is absolutely no way a medic would even try a kidney transplant, much less know what is necessary about compatibility, etc.

I also object to the three guy's having all their loves in one body - borderline kinky on a cosmological scale.

Too bad about SGU - it has some good characters, some good to very good actors, a few neat ideas. The stories though are unhinged.

Comment

I cringed during the whole bone marrow transplant scene. I know how painful they can be. Usually they don't give an anesthetic before the transplant though.

I thought this episode would just be a filler. I don't know why I guess I really want to watch next weeks episode. I would have even missed out on a $60 concert to watch it. But I did enjoy the episode. I always wanted to know what would happen after someone died while using the ancient communication stones. There was also something else I wanted to find out about which was answered but it slipped my mind.
                          My post for Gate World: An Autistic's take on Sci-Fi

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                            Tough episode to rate, but to me it feels (even without factoring in the cancellation) like SGU really has jumped the shark.

There is absolutely no way a medic would even try a kidney transplant, much less know what is necessary about compatibility, etc.

I also object to the three guy's having all their loves in one body - borderline kinky on a cosmological scale.

Too bad about SGU - it has some good characters, some good to very good actors, a few neat ideas. The stories though are unhinged.
                            In season 1.0 they would have all had "relations" with her. In that respect the show in season 2.5 was a lot more acceptable.

Comment

'Other Fans' has always been off topic on this forum.

The topic is the episode, not your opinion about other fans or what you think they think or any other such things.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post

You and I seem to be the only ones bothered by that. Like I said in my post, FTL I believe... kidney transplant performed by a medic not so much.
                                Originally posted by morrismike
                                In season 1.0 they would have all had "relations" with her. In that respect the show in season 2.5 was a lot more acceptable.
                                Yeah, but the dialog would have been funny. They would have been mid "relations" and..

"Uh.. Ginn?"
                                "No! Chloe"
                                "Oh"
                                "Chloe? No, Amanda"
                                "hmmm"
                                "Amanda? No, David!"
                                "..... Awkward"

Comment

Working...
                                X