The Novus space ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
    even if destiny's sensors were able to pick up the novus ships, and even if they were able to physically locate them: who says they can talk to them? or even make physical contact with them?

in atlantis, when testing the gatebridge, the team came were passed by an ancient ship under the doppler effect because it was moving so close to the speed of light, yet still less than it. because of this, the ancients weren't able to detect the earthship, and it took pushing the ships engines to the limit to get them to be aware at all. only after the ancients started deceleration manoeuvres were they able to make contact with our ship.

if the novus ships are able to move that fast, then it would be down to whether destiny could come close. if they could, and IF someone was awake on the novus ship, then sure, they could sort something out. if, in fact, it's a sleeper ship rather than generational, then the hopes of getting contact are slim to none.
    You make valid points but what do they loose by trying. If supplies were a concern then the Novans could be dropped off first and the search begun afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by geddarkstorm View Post
      Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.
      The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.

Originally posted by Loki0002 View Post
      Since the Novusian ships were built with the original crew's awareness of the drones, one should hope they are prepared to defend against them. Also, wouldn't the drones already have attacked Novus, given it's gate activity (until 30 years ago)? No telling how long the drones have been out there; presumably longer than 30 years.
      In Common Descent, Eli and Camille stated that they brought the drones. It's likely that once Destiny eluded the drones, continued use of the gates on the other colonized worlds drew the drones to them.

Being a parent (especially since we recently had our fourth child who is only 18 months old) I can't get the horrific images of small children being slaughtered by the drones - even if they can't show it on TV - out of my imagination. That's what makes me sad.

Comment

Another factor to consider is Destiny's engine must travel for 3 hours before it can dropped out without damaging the engines. That kinda limits the ability of Destiny to search an area since they could travel quite a distance in 3 hours.

Also it depends if the Destiny's sensors are good enough to detect objects while in FTL. For all we know, Destiny may be relatively "blind" while in FTL and getting all it's data of planetary objects from the seeds ship (which may the ships with more powerful sensors) ahead and nearby stargates that communicate with Destiny when it's nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by norph View Post
          Another factor to consider is Destiny's engine must travel for 3 hours before it can dropped out without damaging the engines. That kinda limits the ability of Destiny to search an area since they could travel quite a distance in 3 hours.

Also it depends if the Destiny's sensors are good enough to detect objects while in FTL. For all we know, Destiny may be relatively "blind" while in FTL and getting all it's data of planetary objects from the seeds ship (which may the ships with more powerful sensors) ahead and nearby stargates that communicate with Destiny when it's nearby.
          Assuming that it travels in real time and space....

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
            The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.
            Uh, you may want to check your facts.

The Asgard specifically mention that they monitor Earth pretty much constantly. Easy to see something if you were already looking. Thor was already in the vicinity when Sam and Teal'c arrived, so not special, and he was the one who made the black hole, not the Replicators.

Comment

Potential Plot Hole: The novus ships don't necessarily have to go directly to the planet. All they really needed was a planet *nearby* Novus, grab the Stargate, and move everyone through. I'd give a mission like that 20 years at the most, depending on how far away the nearest planet is. But, considering they took a couple of gates to get to Novus, a planet really shouldn't be too far away. Alternatively, they could just land near a Stargate on one of these other planets and move everyone through. Problem solved. Cute ships though.
              Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
              Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
              Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
              Vicious

Comment

Not plot hole, you info is wrong - the Stargate was destroyed by Magma so it DOES have to be the closest Stargate world.

Also, what do you think about Destiny NOT using all 16 of her FTL drives, if it is even possible.

Maybe with 1 or 2 activated she can go slower and search an area like that distance in about a week or 10 ?

N.C

Comment

Nth, I mean they can ride the ship to the closest planet and gate to the "Alpha Colony"

Tiersches Verhalten

Vicious

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                    Also, what do you think about Destiny NOT using all 16 of her FTL drives, if it is even possible.

Maybe with 1 or 2 activated she can go slower and search an area like that distance in about a week or 10 ?

N.C
                    I agree, they can at least look around. For Tj's sake.

Tiersches Verhalten

Vicious

Comment

I did some calulation on distance to the planet, on the speed of Novus ship and Destinty. Please pick it apart and tell me if i did it correctly.

Novus ship ETA: 220 years considering they united their efforts after the colony lost contact when the stargate was buried in lava 30 years ago so i gave 20 years for them to build the ships. And i assumed they left 10 years ago.
                      Destiny ETA 10 days

Light speed: 300.000 m/s or 300km/s
                      2.081.376.000.000 km in 220 years is the lenght they would travel in light speed. Now since they dont have FTL lets assume they are traveling at 40% speed of light which gives 120Km/s, in 220 years they would travel 832.550.400.000km. This is the estimated distance to the planet. Since Destiny can travel this distance in 10 days. She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light

Detailed calulations:
                      Speed of light: 300.000m/s or 300kms
                      18.000km in a minute
                      1.080.000 km in a hour
                      25.920.000km in a day
                      9.490.800.000km in a year
                      2.081.376.000.000km in 220 years

at 40% speed of light

120kms
                      7.200km in a minute
                      432.000km in a hour
                      10.368.000km in a day
                      3.784.320.000km in a year
                      832.550.400.000km in 220 years

Destiny "can" traverse 832.550.400.000km in 10 days or
                      83.255.040.000km in a day or
                      3.468.960.000Km in a hour or
                      57.816.000Km in a minute or
                      963.600km in a second
                      3.212 times the speed of light if the Novus ship can travel at 40% speed. Since the Apollo traveled at 38.000Kmh a assumed it was safe to think they would at 432.000kmh.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious View Post
                        Nth, I mean they can ride the ship to the closest planet and gate to the "Alpha Colony"
                        based on the apparent limitations of the gate system in universe, the alpha colony is on either the closest stargate world, or the closest 'safe' stargate world. they wouldn't have been looking for 'perfect' - just good enough to start up again.

either way, they can't stop off at mcdonalds and chuck everyone into the gate-thru lane
                        Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light
                          it can traverse more than a million lightyears in a month.

the ship looks like a cross between a Galactica, an Aurora and a hiveship

Comment

I still think they could find the novan ships .

they are traveling to the closest planet with a stargate IIRC, witch means maybe 3 or 4 stars away, wich is HUGE i know, and since they are traveling at sublight, they should use the gravitation forces to make them go faster, making their path predictable by destiny, since she has information of most of the stars in the galaxy or near stargates transmited by the seed ships .

now, im sure their extact date of departure, the ships design and speed was in the database, so im pretty sure destiny could pin point the location in space where the ships COULD be , and from there do small jumps around it for a few weeks until it finds them.

they could also leave thw shutles with food and a crew to scout a position while destiny scouts another.

i want them to find those ships :[

xD

Comment

I imagined the Novus ships to be generational ships.. like these. They'd go at sublight and it would take a couple hundred years to reach the closest planet, but they could live comfortably, more or less..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder

Comment

The known destiny long range sensor could detect a faint energy signature from destroyed space ships about 1 day FTL journey (Resurgence Ep.). More or less is about a 10 light years away. I guess, it should not be difficult to find that ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X