The Novus space ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
    A Kino and a Stargate available to them for a 2000 years yet no one ever to copy it's technology for a space travel or at least a common transportation. I'm for once if living in that society will looking into a hover gate ship transportation to get resources from other planet or surviving exploration in a hostile conditions on some of inhabitable planets.

Then a space travel to the nearby planet that don't have stargate and then having close scrutiny into the Stargate technology to develop some kind of a wormhole drive for the space ship. I doubt there was no one ever curious what inside those 2 advanced devices.
    Being able to learn how a device works and reproducing it are two entirely different things. First, they lacked the tools to even disassemble such devices, and would lack them until very late in their development. The Stargates in particular are beyond all but the most advanced Milky Way races. No group of humans, even given a couple of millenia, are going to cross that divide. The Kinos they obviously did reproduce, or at least copied technology from.

Comment

Here is a slightly bigger picture of the ship. In 720p if you click on it.

Comment

So from our understanding theres possibilities on whats going on since the Novus ships arent capable of FTL:

1)Destiny catches up with the Novus Ships or finds a way to track them down
        2)Drone frigate finds and destroys the Novus Ships
        3)The Novus people makes it to its destination after Destiny drops off the settlers and we never get to see anything
        sigpic
        LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

Cool ship :-)
          sigpic

Comment

I still think it looks like the Drone Carrier from Resurgence.

Just with bits tagged on.

N.C

Comment

The drone carrier is rounded and larger.

Comment

Exactly, with bits tagged on

I hope one of the ships didnt go AI crazy and use its passengers for neural mass whilst it grew and evolved into a DC.

.. maybe not but its always fun to speculate ..

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                  When I saw that ship take off from Novus, I just lit up. When the camera panned up over the school to show the village, then a more advanced city, then even more advanced, and showing the ship take off, really takes the show in an even bigger direction.
                  I took it as a tip of the hat to opening credits for ST:E.

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

Definitely a sleeper class ship. Isn't likely that'll work for a generational for 200 years.

Also, space is mind boggling big. How many people here know how fast our solar system is screaming through the galaxy? Go back 200 years from where you are right now and you'd be in interstellar space. So the ships have to take a trajectory out of the system to hit a rapidly moving target; and that's not calculating in the positions of the planets in the system or the one they are after. And then how are they going to slow down once they reach that target? The answer to that will completely change their strategy and trajectories, speeds, and what maneuvers they do while on the journey. Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.

Comment

Originally posted by h22chen View Post
                      Did anyone else think that Destiny could calculate where these Novus ships have travelled, caught up with them on FTL, then drop out of FTL and dock with one of the ships to download the databases available in those ships to get the cure, knowledge, etc...? (and if they want, also help transport some of them in advance to the colony).
                      Being it wouldn't surprise me that this may be part of the last 2 eps.. Yes i do think they could.

Even assuming they could find the ships, which would be very hard to pull off without exact trajectories, what good would it do them? They can't dock with them, can't pull them into FTL (only works when the ships are connected), and can't do much else but talk.
                      They can get a proper copy of the database.
                      Ferry the people on it a lot quicker.
                      Scavenge it for parts.

Strange enough, the seed ship able to track destiny without difficulty, but destiny unable to track the Novusians ship. Most of the Novusian techs are based of part of destiny tech, it should be possible to detect them via long range sensor. A couple days in FTL, destiny probably already in range with the ship. It should cover no more than 50 lightyear range to the direction of the next planet which is has stargate.
                      Thats cause the ships share a subspace connection.

That way the Novans can develop FTL and Destiny can cure every disease ever
                      Just cause they can transfer the data on FTL does not mean the Novans can make it work.

cuz the preview for blockade was in a modern city... if the expedition built all that (before the drones) why did the other expedition that Destiny found forst so primitive?
                      Perhaps it was preset up as another of those colonies (like Futura) but the loss of the gate is what hampered them.

Hell, where i live you can see people devolving on a daily basis.
                      Idiocracy here we come!

Since the Novusian ships were built with the original crew's awareness of the drones, one should hope they are prepared to defend against them. Also, wouldn't the drones already have attacked Novus, given it's gate activity (until 30 years ago)? No telling how long the drones have been out there; presumably longer than 30 years.
                      Maybe if we encountered them closer TO novus, they may have detected it. BUT since we only got them to that one colony (which was 8 days away iirc) cause they were following US, it is highly unlikely the drones ever encountered the Novans.

There's one.
                      Thanks. Didn't see any signs of weaponry.

I still think it looks like the Drone Carrier from Resurgence.
                      No where close.

Comment

I agree the ships look totally different heres a pic of the Drone Frigate

sigpic
                        LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                          Even assuming they could find the ships, which would be very hard to pull off without exact trajectories, what good would it do them? They can't dock with them, can't pull them into FTL (only works when the ships are connected), and can't do much else but talk.
                          Ya if only talking with them, exchanging information.. if only that could help one of the crew members with a fatal genetic condition on board Destiny... if only...

Ya I was wondering about this too, like Destiny was able to pick up power signatures from the debris field where they first encountered the drones which was a days journey FTL.. this planet was 5 days away FTL so surely Destiny could just do 4 or 5 jumps (or more) between Novus and the other planet and surely they'd be able to detect a power signature for the ships, like it would basically be a straight line. Even if power was an issue, they could just jump back and forth between the stars indefininetly until they find the ship, stopping at different points each time, like how long could it take them to find the novus ships.. a few months tops? Power wouldn't be an issue, the people of the colony would no doubt be happy to supply them with food and water given they are the ancestors and that they've helped the other colonists. I know Destinys FTL engines need to stay online for x amount at a time and they need to wait between jumps but that would just give them plenty of time to scan for the Novus ships and make repairs on Destiny. If they did find them, Im sure the shuttle would be able to dock with Destiny, like all it needs to do is make an airtight seal on a door and then Destiny could ferry people back and forth, stay around with the Novians for a few months making repairs to the ship stocking up on supplies.. and its not like Rush or anyone else onboard would have a problem with getting the only medic they have onboard the Destiny cured of ALS

I loved these past 2 episodes though but there seemed like a few obvious plot points that tptb just kinda ignored
                          Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 26 April 2011, 07:17 PM.
                          I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Loki0002 View Post
                            Since the Novusian ships were built with the original crew's awareness of the drones, one should hope they are prepared to defend against them. Also, wouldn't the drones already have attacked Novus, given it's gate activity (until 30 years ago)? No telling how long the drones have been out there; presumably longer than 30 years.
                            i doubt that info was carried down after 2000 years.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by geddarkstorm View Post
                              Definitely a sleeper class ship. Isn't likely that'll work for a generational for 200 years.

Also, space is mind boggling big. How many people here know how fast our solar system is screaming through the galaxy? Go back 200 years from where you are right now and you'd be in interstellar space. So the ships have to take a trajectory out of the system to hit a rapidly moving target; and that's not calculating in the positions of the planets in the system or the one they are after. And then how are they going to slow down once they reach that target? The answer to that will completely change their strategy and trajectories, speeds, and what maneuvers they do while on the journey. Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.
                              I don't agree. Atlantis had long range sensors that could detect Wraith ships weeks out and they were traveling at hyperspace velocities. I think it would have been well within Destiny's technical capability to find the Novus ships. The time of departure and the exact course was known. It would have been a simple matter to calculate a range of high and low sub-light velocities and determine a location area. At sub-light velocities the size of this window would be relatively quite small for sensors designed to function over FTL distances. A search grid could easily be created and all that would remain would be for Destiny to drop out of FTL at the number of points necessary to find them. Even if it took months (which I think unlikely) saving TJ's life would be more than worth their search time.
                              Last edited by Blackhole; 26 April 2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

even if destiny's sensors were able to pick up the novus ships, and even if they were able to physically locate them: who says they can talk to them? or even make physical contact with them?

in atlantis, when testing the gatebridge, the team came were passed by an ancient ship under the doppler effect because it was moving so close to the speed of light, yet still less than it. because of this, the ancients weren't able to detect the earthship, and it took pushing the ships engines to the limit to get them to be aware at all. only after the ancients started deceleration manoeuvres were they able to make contact with our ship.

if the novus ships are able to move that fast, then it would be down to whether destiny could come close. if they could, and IF someone was awake on the novus ship, then sure, they could sort something out. if, in fact, it's a sleeper ship rather than generational, then the hopes of getting contact are slim to none.
                                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Working...
                                X