The Novus space ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joeynox View Post
    I missed the first 30 min of this episode . And some of the last. Can someone tell me how they went 2k back in time?

Was it when they dialed from within the star and a solar flare?
    Yep. Important stuff, you need to go buy it on itunes or something! It's worth it!!
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

so are the ships still en-route or are they at new established planet?

cuz the preview for blockade was in a modern city... if the expedition built all that (before the drones) why did the other expedition that Destiny found forst so primitive?

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
        The U.S. TV audience is very fickle, and tends to prefer garbage filth over real intelligent programs. The stupider people are promoted, while the smart are rejected. Partying lifestyles are held up, while older, traditional ways of life are shunned and portrayed as bad, when the opposite is true.
        Thanks for the U.S. bashing...
        sigpic

Comment

The U.S. TV audience is very fickle, and tends to prefer garbage filth over real intelligent programs. The stupider people are promoted, while the smart are rejected. Partying lifestyles are held up, while older, traditional ways of life are shunned and portrayed as bad, when the opposite is true.
          Lets put credit and blame where they are due. SGU underperformed in all markets not just the US. And the other countries have shown to have a love for reality garbage as much as the US.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            Its true though. Shows like Cops, Cheaters, Maury, Springer, MMA, WWE, WWE Tough Enough, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, etc etc are wildly popular while intelligent shows like SGU, Fringe, etc get canceled.

Heck, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is still on the air.

I said the same thing about the FTL jump to the ships. Someone in another thread mentioned the required jump time though which I forgot. We still have no idea exactly how fast Destiny travels in FTL. They have to travel in 4 hour increments, so they could overshoot the convoy by a lot. They would have to travel to the planet (or further) turn around, and jump back. All the while not gaining the attention of the drones, having enough food for the crew, and not damaging the FTL drives.

Also, Destiny sub-lights could be substantially more powerful than Novian drives, maybe we could catch up with them if we jumped somewhat close.

One question remain for me is why human always lack of FTL/Hyperdrive invention in Stargate stories? In this case, Novusians civilization should be equivalent to 40th century on earth or at least 30th century advanced race with a Stargate and should have at least an improved wormhole technology to assist them in planetary travel for sake of exploration.
            See, I don't entirely agree with this. You had 80 people on the planet, of which, say a dozen were intelligent enough to figure out how Destiny class FTL drives work. That doesn't mean they know how to build them. Amanda Perry was probably the only person on the show that could have drawn up specs on how to build FTL drives. Eli taught the rest as much as he could and recorded the rest, but still, you are talking normal intelligence level people surviving on Destiny without advanced tech around them for probably 200 years. Granted they had a head start with the knowledge Eli, Volker, Brody, etc left them, but they wouldn't have had the resources to develop that tech for a long time.

Even 2000 years later they didn't have it. It could have been a power source issue or a raw materials issue or just a lack of interest in the drives since they had the stargate right there. Why deplete natural resources used for other items to build FTL drives or hyperdrives when you have a functioning stargate at your disposal? They could have developed gate ships to transport large loads to and from planets. Even if they had to jump two or three planets it would have been faster than hyperdrives.

I think if they do find the ships
            Spoiler:
            which they won't based on the previews and the spoilers for the last 2 epi's

The Novians will be in stasis. 200 years travel to a distant planet? I would assume if they could sure advanced genetic diseases like ALS over 200 years ago, then they have stasis tech to help those that they have not cured yet.

Comment

The truth must prevail!

Originally posted by Trinary
              One question remain for me is why human always lack of FTL/Hyperdrive invention in Stargate stories? In this case, Novusians civilization should be equivalent to 40th century on earth or at least 30th century advanced race with a Stargate and should have at least an improved wormhole technology to assist them in planetary travel for sake of exploration.
              actually that's what I liked. Frankly it's far more realistic. Faster than light travel isn't an easy thing to invent, not even in 2000 years unless copying existing tech. I'm also into warhammer 40K, which is, unsuprisingly, in the year 40.000. They've got faster than light travel in those days but it took them untill the 18th millenium to invent it. Before that generational ships had to be used and planets had to be self sufficient. Those ships took hundreds of years to travel between planets and generations lived and died on board.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                The truth must prevail!

How fortunate its not the truth. Garbage TV from our perspective is a symptom of all markets not just the US
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Garbage Tv is infecting the WHOLE of modern civilisation, not just the USA.

Hell, where i live you can see people devolving on a daily basis.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    How fortunate its not the truth. Garbage TV from our perspective is a symptom of all markets not just the US
                    I was just kidding..

Just extend it to the entirity of TV and it's pretty accurate. Here in Holland we've also got realityshows and stuff that attract most viewers. And also the long line of 10 or so 'Idols' type shows, "hollands next top model" stuff, "whatever dancing on ice" etc.

Comment

Hopefully soon, reality TV will become a "watchers are contestants" type of show, i will then look forward to NOT watching the latest episode of Dancing on a minefield, Antarctic Survivor, Britains next top suicide, Britains got cocaine etc etc

Basically any number of horrible things to await to unfortunate, so we as the surviving people can watch intellectual shows in peace

I in no way endorse Eugenics through the above device.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by ZoSo View Post
                        They probably got blown up by the drones.
                        That's a very scary thought.
                        Sadly it might be the truth
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                          Its true though. Shows like Cops, Cheaters, Maury, Springer, MMA, WWE, WWE Tough Enough, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, etc etc are wildly popular while intelligent shows like SGU, Fringe, etc get canceled.

Heck, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is still on the air.
                          All of the shows you named, I don't watch...and they're mainly on during the day time...which is why I hate when I don't have to work because they're nothing on...

And Fringe didn't get cancelled...it was renewed for a 4th season.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                            The truth must prevail!
                            Ahh yes...but if we were England bashing, Germany bashing or another country...we'd get yelled at by a mod...but its ok to US bash.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... quite the reaction.

I am from the U.S., and am a wrestling fan also.

I really think that WWE has no place on a supposed science-fiction network. The only real reason why Smack Down was put on SyFy was that the parent owner is the same owner of USA network, where RAW is aired on.

I begin to think that the production of high-end science fiction programs will end up becoming a labor of love, where a large amount of money is needed to just throw at it with no intent of recouping all the money if it just to get the story done right. If I had the money, I'd finance both SGU and V. Both have incredible stories, increasingly interesting people and talent, and must continue their stories.

Now, to get back on topic:

When I saw that ship take off from Novus, I just lit up. When the camera panned up over the school to show the village, then a more advanced city, then even more advanced, and showing the ship take off, really takes the show in an even bigger direction.

If those ships do have the information for the cure for TJ, then they may even be able to help them restore Destiny, and be able to really accomplish the ship's mission.

Wow! I just hit 4,000 posts!

Comment

Ahh yes...but if we were England bashing, Germany bashing or another country...we'd get yelled at by a mod...but its ok to US bash.
                                I hereby invite thee to bash Holland.

Anyway, I was going for hilarity, not for correctnes.

I'm just wondering how big the ships must've been to carry millions. It certainly wasn't the ship we saw at the end of the episode, even a fleet of those wouldn't carry millions.

Comment

Working...
                                X