Hatred for Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    and lived and died assuming he killed all 70 something people on the ship including Eli. and that holo mandy was also lost with the ship
    Ummm the holo mandy wasn't put into the ship's computer until later.

Here's what I think happened. The descendants of the original crew learned from the kino footage. Probably someone on the kino said something about Rush, and blamed the situation on him. Over generations, this got blown out of proportion -- this can happen even if you have the original recording to look at, you can still be influenced by your parents' views and something like this can build over time.

Comment

Agreed. That's probably why when the settlers met him they didn't immediatly accept him, they still held on to their preconceptions even when they were clearly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        and lived and died assuming he killed all 70 something people on the ship including Eli. and that holo mandy was also lost with the ship
        Very possible he sabotogued the gate to sent them there. There is a reason our Greer had him under armed guard during preps to gate home.

Comment

Morris,

Right, so how and why would he kill the entire crew (the crew he needed to continue the "mission") in order to make a point? This was Telford and Eli's screw up.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I don't believe there was hatred for Rush, just the stories of Destiny's crew and their relationship with Rush got twisted. He basically became the Boogieman of those who decided to follow Young. The fact Rush was considered a religious icon of sorts shows he was more revered for being correct about staying on the ship, possibly still being there and coming to find them. Shows that they respected Rush enough to believe he'd come for them.

sigpic

Comment

Young has authoritarian tendencies. It would make sense for him to invent, or at least nurture a dogma to help re-enforce his rule. I don't think the vilification of Rush would have done him any harm at all, well not with his followers anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                What harm did he cause?
                you remember the whole trapping them on the other side of the universe part right ?

Comment

Originally posted by sholva1 View Post
                  you remember the whole trapping them on the other side of the universe part right ?
                  I just choose you, cos you're the last one who wrote something like this.

I guess, there's no question about the fact that Rush is responsible for stranding the people onboard Destiny.

But, there's a difference between being responsible for causing the death of someone (Riley), and killing people just because it's funny to do? No? The difference is did he intend to kill someone? And a not unimportant question is, did the writers wanted Rush intentionally kill all the people, or not. I think, it's not.

And as mentioned before, Rush wasn't responsible for Eli's failed experiment, he tried to save the people, after the wormhole gets instable (after Telford was through to earth), and did not try to kill them deliberately, or send them deliberately, just because it's so funny to do so, to some random planet into a different timeline.

I got it, some of you think, it's exactly that. But, you'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you, be it.
                  Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 20 April 2011, 06:14 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                    I just choose you, cos you're the last one who wrote something like this.

I guess, there's no question about the fact that Rush is responsible for stranding the people onboard Destiny.

But, there's a difference between being responsible for causing the death of someone (Riley), and killing people just because it's funny to do? No? The difference is did he intend to kill someone? And a not unimportant question is, did the writers wanted Rush intentionally kill all the people, or not. I think, it's not.

And as mentioned before, Rush wasn't responsible for Eli's failed experiment, he tried to save the people, after the wormhole gets instable (after Telford was through to earth), and did not try to kill them deliberately, or send them deliberately, just because it's so funny to do so, to some random planet into a different timeline.

I got it, some of you think, it's exactly that. But, you'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you, be it.
                    On the contrary. I definitly support that. Rush was not responsible for the issue of Twin Destinies but the problems he caused in the two years on Destiny does bring some bad blood.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by sholva1 View Post
                      You didn't read further down the thread before you posted. I figured it out.

Comment

There seemed to be some people that thought he was a "demon", but the elder also said that there were those among the Futurans that "worshiped him like a god".

So it seems that, even in the past/future, there was a difference of opinion on Dr. Rush! (Much like there is here on Gateworld, which to me indicates that he is a fabulous character.)
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Here's something interesting from the transcript of Twin Destinies - I've been trying to figure out what Rush did since watching the show.

ALT-RUSH: The wormhole was unstable.

TELFORD: I'm talking about what really happened.

ALT-RUSH: Their blood is on your hands, not mine.

TELFORD (yelling): They would have all made it home but you did something!

(He pokes his finger repeatedly onto Rush's chest as he speaks.)

ALT-RUSH (also yelling): I was trying to buy them some time!

He was trying to buy them some time ... to do what? I thought he was trying to get the wormhole stable so they could get through to earth not buy them time. So what was Rush doing? Did he somehow figure out how to shift the wormhole closer to a solar flare hoping it would loop back onto Destiny thereby convincing people they couldn't get home?

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                            There seemed to be some people that thought he was a "demon", but the elder also said that there were those among the Futurans that "worshiped him like a god".

So it seems that, even in the past/future, there was a difference of opinion on Dr. Rush! (Much like there is here on Gateworld, which to me indicates that he is a fabulous character.)
                            yes, and we've (maybe yet to see) how the Futurans (It's a FONT! LOL) viewed Young - perhaps they had sections of the population that viewed him in unflattering light as well. I think the point is that all the differences in the "sides" haven't changed much, even over 1000's of years, it's "Divided" written large
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

i definitely don't blame alt-rush for what happened. he said for the beginning that he was against it, but was okay if people stayed to help him with destiny (which they were going too) the wormwhole was unstable and telford was the only one that made it through before it became unstable. at the time it seemed that if the rest of the crew stayed on destiny they all would have died, so rush ordered them through the gate. they went and instead of dying got stuck on a planet in the past. which wasn't remotely rush's fault.

as for riley rush didn't intend to kill him. sure he knew the planet was dangerous, but he didn't listen to franklin on how dangerous. and he did warn scott (sure a little late, but at least he did that). as for riley's actual death it was simply an accident.

as for stranding them on the ship rush was just trying to save them but yeah he should have sent them to earth or just another planet in the milkyway. so yeah i can see why the crew blames him for that.

my guess is as time went on the blame about various things he had done on destiny (such as lie about the bridge) led to the hatred for him as generations went on.
                              sigpic

Comment

Rush was the reason for the Icarus Base personel being on the Destiny in the first place. That was bound to leave an underlying, simmering resentment of the man for many of the crew?
                                Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Working...
                                X