X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
    Sigh....

Ok, I can see why some of you like this episode.

For those who like space battles - you got drones buzzing and shooting.

For those who lamented the lack of use of the gates - you got gates.

But, overall as a story and as fiction, IMO it lacked the necessary cohesion and believability. And I'm not talking about the time travel (as much as a cop-out that is for story writers.)

Let me ask you all a question: how many of you could build a house from scratch, without tools? Or, how many of you could even make a barrel (complete with metal bands), from scratch?

And so on.

Yes, the crew was well educated, but except for military survival training most of them wouldn't have the skills (forget the theoretical knowledge about physics and math - much of it wouldn't be of much use) to build anything more than the most primitive of medieval villages - there just wouldn't be enough laborers.

Indeed, that was the whole lesson from the Faith planet. Those people died because they couldn't even survive a single year because of simple seasonal changes, on a planet designed (apparently) to be habitable.

Again, there just aren't enough bodies on Destiny to found a civilization much beyond a stone age village.

And then of course there is the whole static language problem.

Oh, and the idea that a single source of Chinese genetic material (Ray) could be enough so people 2000 years later (about 60 to 70 generations) would have distinct "racial" differences so some could clearly look Chinese and others not... no, sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Sigh...
    And where did you get the idea that Wray is the only Asian person on the ship? We've seen several. It doesn't help that the actor who played Yazou (August Schellenberg) is actually half-Swiss and half-Indian (Native American), the perfect "mutt" for the part.

They also had a ton of supplies/tools. They were trying to evacuate back to earth - each person had one bag with them. The Faith planet had relatively rough conditions, while this one seemed to be rather pleasant-looking. Besides, it took them decades to build a simple town - how is that inconceivable?

It's actually harder to believe that it took them a full 2,000 years to get to our current level of technology - we managed it in less (technological advancement was largely at a standstill from the fall of Rome til the Enlightenment - I'd imagine there were no Dark Ages to hold these folks back).

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
      Sigh....

Ok, I can see why some of you like this episode.

For those who like space battles - you got drones buzzing and shooting.

For those who lamented the lack of use of the gates - you got gates.

But, overall as a story and as fiction, IMO it lacked the necessary cohesion and believability. And I'm not talking about the time travel (as much as a cop-out that is for story writers.)

Let me ask you all a question: how many of you could build a house from scratch, without tools? Or, how many of you could even make a barrel (complete with metal bands), from scratch?

And so on.

Yes, the crew was well educated, but except for military survival training most of them wouldn't have the skills (forget the theoretical knowledge about physics and math - much of it wouldn't be of much use) to build anything more than the most primitive of medieval villages - there just wouldn't be enough laborers.

Indeed, that was the whole lesson from the Faith planet. Those people died because they couldn't even survive a single year because of simple seasonal changes, on a planet designed (apparently) to be habitable.

Again, there just aren't enough bodies on Destiny to found a civilization much beyond a stone age village.
      I thought the exact same thing. That was a stretch for me. The houses had roofing, and I think I saw glass windows. Everyone was wearing different clothes that were clearly sown, stitched, and tailored. Where did they get all those different fabrics? Eli was wearing a button down shirt that mind as well have been purchased at Sax Fith Avenue. Why would he be wearing that shirt all of a sudden? If they've had the means to make new clothes, don't you think they would have done that already? They've been wearing the same clothes since episode 1.

Overall though, I thought the episode was pretty balanced and it addressed many of the broader SG themes that until now has been left out of SGU. For me that's important because I like when something embraces its roots. For an SGU episode, Common Descent was pretty densely packed with content -- both from an informational standpoint and plot-wise.

Comment

the only thing that bugged me was the solor panel
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
          hmm, 2000 years is a long time
          Especially when you have scientific knowledge as a foundation without the stigma of religious heracy.

Comment

They were able to do all these things because they had 10 YEARS to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              the only thing that bugged me was the solor panel
              why did the solar panel bug you, you saw the city and how advanced they were obviously they would have them.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                why did the solar panel bug you, you saw the city and how advanced they were obviously they would have them.
                to be honest i only saw about 13% of the ep so i guess i shouldn't be judging to much.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

HOW THE HELL DID THE GATE GET DESTROYED the gates are suppose to be really super strong we have seen them survive a meteor strike and more. I mean seriously how did it break just like that and since it did shouldn't of it exploded? Then again we have no idea what these ones are made out of but it is fair to say it is probably still naqueda or something similar

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                    HOW THE HELL DID THE GATE GET DESTROYED the gates are suppose to be really super strong we have seen them survive a meteor strike and more. I mean seriously how did it break just like that and since it did shouldn't of it exploded? Then again we have no idea what these ones are made out of but it is fair to say it is probably still naqueda or something similar
                    We don't know if they gates are made completely out of naquada like the Milky Way and Pegasus gates, which would sort of explain their short distance and the seed ships probably have to make the gates out of resources from the planets they visit, so not much naquada

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                      Materials/old design play a role, but the drone weapons also seem to be *extremely* powerful. Destiny's shields can withstand a long, sustained assault from the Blues and even being inside of a sun! Yet both the Blues and Destiny get beaten into a pulp within minutes by drone attacks.

And maybe the hit just overloaded that part of the gate and helped it go boom.

Comment

THESE gates PRE-DATE the SG-1 and SGA gates. It makes sense they would be a weaker and less-advanced gate!!

Comment

The people had solar panels because their home planet was almost as advanced as ours.

What would be really cool is if somehow the people made contact with Asgard and the other 4 races. That would have been siiiiick. I would have loved to see some reference to the Furlings, or one of the others. Ancients were around before that, but maybe 2k years ago there was some war and alliances forming between other races. zomg

Comment

yea but I would still think the gate should have exploded then getting damaged like that though I am no scientist nor do I know the facts so I could be wrong 100% for all I know

Comment

That was one hour of quality Sci-Fi entertainment. It takes me back to the SG-1 days but with a modern twist to it. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Alas, we shall never see a third season of universe, or a movie for that matter. We can only hope that the final three episodes of the series shall be more amazing and fantastic than ever before, giving us a glimpse into the far-flung reaches of the universe where anything is possible.

Comment

Sorry forgot to reply with quote

I have to agree with you, I was disappointed that the village so "perfect". There is no way they could have built those houses after 10 years without electric saws (my family owned a lumber yard and built a few homes). Where would they have gotten all the metal to fashion tools?

Also all the men were cleanly shaven when TJ was giving birth in the grass hut. Minor things but a little too much suspension of disbelief.
                                SGU fangirl

Comment

Working...
                                X