X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
    Spoiler:
    Language tends to stagnate as civilization advances. Dropping off a group with a full command of English and the knowledge of civilization at its current level would be unlikely to produce significant variations in language. Language variations are often a matter of assimilation and adaptation. Without those two factors, little to no variations (aside from new words for local objects) would occur.
    Not at all, language is constantly changing and evolving, it never stagnates. New generations will always be coming up with new slang or shorting old words, which over time become fully assimilated into the language.

But real world linguistic dynamics don't apply, this is scifi but more importantly it's Stargate. They will speak English.

Comment

Slang is one thing. For the language to change so much as to be incomprehensible, especially without some other language to assimilate from (cultural assimilation is a big part of language evolution), they might at best use an odd but still comprehensible form of English.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
        Regarding 65 person gene pool.
        2000 years later....

Generation - 3 per century?
        60 generations

Lets make it easy.
        Pop out first gen of kids
        65 becomes 100.
        Second gen 150
        Third gen 225
        4th 340
        5th 500
        6th 760
        7th 1140

This is only 1 baby per generation couple
        So after 60 generations assuming no accidental deaths interrupting the propagation...
        1.6341542 xe12 - That is something like a quadrillion people.
        Exponential math is dangerous stuff.

Absolutely capable of a stable gene pool.

You know me and you can look at our genes, and there is a 100% chance we are related within 35 generations?
        Within ethnic groups, chances are within 10 generations we are related.
        Incest in anything beyond 3rd cousins is not considered detrimental to the gene pool.
        By the third generation they already got 200+ people.

With just a little care(match making), in avoiding second cousins, by the 5th or 6th generation, the gene pool would be sufficient for little care to be taken for match making. Enabling a 100% staple population.
        I loved the DS9 episode!
        Just one question would not it be 4 - 5 generations per centuary, I thought Human generation were 20-25 years?

Comment

I think this was probably filmed behind the scenes of Common Descent:

Comment

this is actualy behind the scenes of the hunt, you can see it on syfy.com

Comment

SPOILER ALERT

Here is a link to the Common Descent Promo !! It's from MGM but hasn't been officialy released yet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS_l...layer_embedded
              sigpic
              ___________Stargate SG-1____________________Stargate Atlantis____________________Stargate Universe
              ________07.27.97 ~ 06.22.07________________07.16.04 ~ 01.09.09__________________10.02.09 ~ 05.09.11

Comment

coooool!

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Just one question would not it be 4 - 5 generations per centuary, I thought Human generation were 20-25 years?
                  I was being generous on the low end....
                  Needless to say, by the 50th generation(within 2000 years) the population CAN be much higher then Earths...
                  They will not be able to sustain that without infrastructure tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis91 View Post
                    SPOILER ALERT

Here is a link to the Common Descent Promo !! It's from MGM but hasn't been officialy released yet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS_l...layer_embedded
                    Damn!!! how people get this
                    Green. please find a Gauntlet promo

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

I'm guessing they look at the place MGM are uploading them to on their site, look at how they're naming them, and then try their look with one that hasn't been 'released' on the site yet.

Comment

Saw the Promo and i was like Oh boy. can't wait for next week! the first of what gateworld is calling a two part episode.

Comment

I approve of next weeks guest star.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4834/unledop.jpg

I approve of next weeks guest star.
                            So do I. Heartily in fact.

This is shaping up to my favourite episode and all I've seen is a short synopsis, a promo and the promo pics.

And her. Approved.
                            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

The promo and sneak peek are up on syfy's website, all i can say is:
                              Spoiler:

AWESOME, Destiny in combat again!

Comment

These last 4 episodes will be the best episodes

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

Working...
                                X