Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

betcha anything there's going to be some cross breeding of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
      One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.
      Well not to far from the truth then but clearly someone forgot about the part where he builds you a new soul after ripping the other one to shreds.

Spoiler:
      I wonder if these people are going to stay around for a while, according to spoilers there home world is suppose to be destroyed (Drones? Ursini ?) and if they not going to stay I wonder where we will take them.Personally I love the idea of a 3rd branch/group of humanity joining our little gang.

Also I wonder if the Ursini knew about these people. An whether Telford gain knowledge of them when he was in the Ursini chamber.

Also you got to wonder how these people knew that they travelled back in time. How did they know that, they could have very easily travelled into the future.

Unless they encounter a seed vessel planting a gate. Which would be cool to see. An could explain how they manage to recover most of there technology so quickly.An i am wonder if the people sent back in time laid out any plans to help the crew of destiny to repair the ship or to get them home. (may be they build a naquadria core in the galaxy somewhere for our crew)
      Last edited by knowles2; 25 March 2011, 01:39 AM.

Comment

You might want to put that second paragraph in spoilers, as it seems to be for the following episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikec3 View Post
          Spoiler:
          I think we can all see conection to Twin Destinies
          Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
          Spoiler:
          Seems pretty clear to me that the crew from Twin Destinies were sent back in time and lived out their days on a planet somewhere. Now our crew are going to meet "their" descendants.
          now with even greater certainty due to this.

Comment

I cant seem to find it but someone mentioned it being impossible that 65+ people could populate a planet. Not true, provided the entire breeding process is meticulously planned out to ensure genetic diversity and stability until the population reaches at least 500 with at least 20 distinct family groups.

However they may have also interbreed with other species.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              I cant seem to find it but someone mentioned it being impossible that 65+ people could populate a planet. Not true, provided the entire breeding process is meticulously planned out to ensure genetic diversity and stability until the population reaches at least 500 with at least 20 distinct family groups.

I guess we'll find out if Chloe was really cured by the smurfs - it'd be a bit of a giveaway if any of the groups descendants come out blue.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post

I hope they did not interbreed with a other species and I suspect they have not, at least there nothing I read that suggests that they have.

I never believe some of the figures people say we would need to survive, some people on some forums put the figure into 10s of thousands, to me BSG worrying about there genetically diversity when they had 50,000 people, and most them were probably unrelated to each other just seemed rediculous to me.

65 people sounds more than plausible, through even after 2,000 years there civilisation would still be pretty small I would have thought. May be someone should do the maths, how big could there population be after 2,000 years of breeding.

An as long as the females of the first few generations rely that they are breeding machines for the rest of there breeding lives.

But I would love the crew that went back in time to have thought about what would happen once the destiny encounter the Novas.

But it clear there culture or at least pretty big chunk of it believe that Rush was the one that cause the accident which going to make our crew even more suspicious of him.

Comment

I remember reading once that the reason we can all be traced back to mitichondrial eve, is because at some point approximately 150,000 years ago, the entire human population was only at around 2000 or so, possibly due to some sort of natural disaster. Plus if I'm remembering Doctor Strangelove correctly, I think the ratio would need to be something like 2 or 3 women for every man.

My first thought would be that their isn't anywhere near enough people on Destiny to create a stable gene pool and from what we've seen, there seems to be more men then women.
                  At the very least, I can't see how the Destiny crew could create a gene pool that would last anymore then a few hundred years before inbreeding became a major factor.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                    I remember reading once that the reason we can all be traced back to mitichondrial eve, is because at some point approximately 150,000 years ago, the entire human population was only at around 2000 or so, possibly due to some sort of natural disaster. Plus if I'm remembering Doctor Strangelove correctly, I think the ratio would need to be something like 2 or 3 women for every man.

My first thought would be that their isn't anywhere near enough people on Destiny to create a stable gene pool and from what we've seen, there seems to be more men then women.
                    At the very least, I can't see how the Destiny crew could create a gene pool that would last anymore then a few hundred years before inbreeding became a major factor.
                    I hear the same facts.

But I also know that certain animals species have been bought back from extinction from pretty low numbers, White Rinoes for instant from under a hundred, Pandas zoo population is not that big either.
                    Through certain animals, Cats for instant, have a lot more inbreeding resilience than other species.

I think the major issue is not necessary how big your crop of DNA is but how diverse it is, for instant have a good mix on Native America, Africo Caribbean and European descendent an Asian would probably be a good idea.

Also it depends on what the quality of those genes are, for instant the amount diseases genes that are in the gene pool, it would not be good to have 10 people dominate cystic fibrosis genes in a population 100.

Also they again kept there time frame small, 2000 years, and there several geneticis aboard destiny, so obviously they would have the skills to seperate and pair up couples who would provide the best gene pool for the next generation, base on family history and what TJ can remember from the medical files.
                    Hopefully we will get some flash backs in this episode and the next of when the team first arrive through the gate and on to the planet (or perhaps we will get a real treat and it will be the seed vessel, the one the Ursini guys stumble across, after all I doubt they would be able to disable the ship shields and defensive systems by themselves)

Perhaps everything that happen in season two so far have all been plan by the crew of Destiny that went back in time to make sure that history plays out as it should do.

Comment

But it clear there culture or at least pretty big chunk of it believe that Rush was the one that cause the accident which going to make our crew even more suspicious of him.
                      But Rush did not travel through the wormhole in Twin Destinies. So how could he travel back in time?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikec3 View Post
                        But Rush did not travel through the wormhole in Twin Destinies. So how could he travel back in time?
                        Spoiler:
                        The crew that left Destiny traveled back in time. In this episode, the Destiny runs across their ancestors.
                        Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by antipodal View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          The crew that left Destiny traveled back in time. In this episode, the Destiny runs across their ancestors.
                          Spoiler:
                          Don't mean Descendants?

Comment

Yes he does.

Do we really need to use spoilers in the speculation thread.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                              Yes he does.

Do we really need to use spoilers in the speculation thread.
                              Spoiler:
                              Seems we do

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                Don't mean Descendants?
                                Oh...yes. D'oh! Thank you.
                                Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X