This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    A great review Evilgrin, I'd green you if I could! ...

Even though this episode had the 'adventure' with all that went on on the planet, it was secondary the way I saw it. I really didn't notice much about the plants, tried to ignore the BC forest again! Thought we were told they weren't going to show up again for locations, even though the vegetation was 'blue' it was still the old 'Stargate' forest! I think the episode was always about character development in the face of yet another crisis, not about the crisis itself, like the final bug confrontation in 'Starship Troopers' for example. (I mention this movie because Greer's sheer exhilaration of destruction reminded me of that scene when they were trapped in the compound). That's why I guess this episode will highlight the fact that if the characters do nothing for a viewer, then SGU is not very watchable in my opinion.
    Thank you

That in bold is really well put, and it's likely one of the things that has the forest (again ) not matter to me. All of it fades to a setting for the real story - which will always (for me anyway) be about the characters dealing with the situation, not the situation itself.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Here's a featurette about Cloverdale (do not think anybody already posted it in this thread, at least could not find it) -Jamil Walker Smith "I was hip":

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/2492/index.html

Grimm returns October 24
      sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
      Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
        Here's a featurette about Cloverdale (do not think anybody already posted it in this thread, at least could not find it) -Jamil Walker Smith "I was hip":

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/2492/index.html

I think Eli's comment about Greer in the episode sums it up. "You should see Greer's face!!"
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          I think Eli's comment about Greer in the episode sums it up. "You should see Greer's face!!"
          - I must have missed that. When did Eli say this?
          Grimm returns October 24
          sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
          Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Right after dream!Scott collapses in the tux shop.

Eli: If-If you can hear me, I just want you to know that nobody's giving up on you.
            Greer: (burning things and enjoying it) Wooooo! Wooooo!
            Eli: I mean, you should see Greer's face - he's taking no prisoners. You'd better keep fighting, too.

Comment

There's a lot of nice lines in that episode when you rewatch it. It's around 31 min when Eli tell the comatose Scott than nobody is giving up on him. Eli say: "I mean you should see Greer's face. He's taking no prisoners" Thats so cool.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by sugarshaker View Post
                Does anyone know what music they used for the wedding scene?
                The music played during the "Cloverdale" wedding was "Arioso" from Cantata BWV 156 by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Comment

Cloverdale has many levels. On the face of it you have a character in peril/action episode but delve a little deeper and you're delving into Scott's psyche and the way he perceives the members of Destiny.

Spoiler:

I was particularly interested in the way he saw Eli as Chloe's brother. Brian told me before that Scott doesn't see Eli as a romantic threat. It rang true...David played the "betrayal" by Chloe wonderfully....the look on his face - perfect.

What does everyone think of Scott's perceptions compared to the way we perceive the characters?

Spoiler:
                  I don't think he necessarily thinks of Rush in a spiritual way. I think he respects him, trusts him to guide them home.

Telford as a 'by the book' military guy was perfect as the police officer.

I wasn't too sure about his hallucination of Volker. He seems him way older than he is (the dad hair and clothes yikes), awkward, loner...I just don't see that at all.

Cheers, webgurl
                  sigpic

Comment

No inclination right now to read the whole thread (I hate seeing eps days after everyone else and having to catch up on 17 pages *pouts*), but I have to say how much I enjoyed this ep. I love it when we get a look inside a character's head and they did it magnificently with Scott. I thought I had him pegged and was enjoying seeing his growth over the episodes so far, but seeing how he (subconsciously or otherwise) feels about everyone around him and his relationships with them made me realise that he's a whole lot more complex than he seemed to be. Great stuff.

Off to do a back-to-back rewatch of Pathogen and Cloverdale without the distraction of vacations and visitors...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Personally, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. It had its so-so moments, but overall, was good. Those plant creatures were pretty neat.
                      The plant monsters were awesome.

Btw, just off topic for a bit...your sig - I LOVED that video...was that your question? 'Cos it was awesome and so was Shanks' reaction.

Cheers, webgurl
                      sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Perelandra;12028686]Great review, EG. I never thought about the angle with Rush representing Destiny but it makes perfect sense-

That it does. As to the 'death by change.. maybe that is refering to scotts relationship with chloe.

I noticed all the gate imagery in Rush's 'office' and thought the whole depiction of Rush really brought home just how much he is responsible for initiating everything that goes on. Depicting him as the 'Justice of the Peace' showed that he was the one that puts seal of approval on Scott's future by the fact he was the one that makes the marriage legal in the eyes of society. It was a subtle reminder of the fact that everything on Destiny is subject to his OK if I really look at it. He has the knowledge and 'authority' through knowing the codes and much more about the Destiny and its purpose than anyone else.
                        By that logic then, would that not make Rush the ship's captain...?

No inclination right now to read the whole thread (I hate seeing eps days after everyone else and having to catch up on 17 pages *pouts*),
                        I catch it around 12 hrs after you guys do, and usually have 8-10 pages to catch up on. I do it cause i like to.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          By that logic then, would that not make Rush the ship's captain...?
                          I don't see an appointment as Justice of the Peace as equivalent to a captaincy, just an appointment to speak to the law in Destiny's stead
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            There were a number which did die though.

And his lacking the spine to decide, got how many killed during the LA incursion?
                            Sure there were people who died at Icarus Base. However, there was nothing anyone could have done about that. Young didn't make any decision that could have changed that.
                            Whereas, Rush DECIDED to dial the 9th chevron address instead of allowing Sgt. Riley to dial Earth, as per Young's orders.
                            Rush gave the excuse of the explosion transferring through the wormhole, however, the prudent thing to do would have been to dial any gate in Milky Way or Atlantis City in order to evacuate the people, which would have saved all the people.

Bottom line, Young's decision at Icarus Base = 0 deaths.
                            Rush's decision at Icarus Base = 1+ deaths and counting.
                            Those are the cold numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
                              Sure there were people who died at Icarus Base. However, there was nothing anyone could have done about that. Young didn't make any decision that could have changed that.
                              Whereas, Rush DECIDED to dial the 9th chevron address instead of allowing Sgt. Riley to dial Earth, as per Young's orders.
                              Rush gave the excuse of the explosion transferring through the wormhole, however, the prudent thing to do would have been to dial any gate in Milky Way or Atlantis City in order to evacuate the people, which would have saved all the people.

Bottom line, Young's decision at Icarus Base = 0 deaths.
                              Rush's decision at Icarus Base = 1+ deaths and counting.
                              Those are the cold numbers.
                              And no SGU series. You want it canceled that badly?

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                I don't see an appointment as Justice of the Peace as equivalent to a captaincy, just an appointment to speak to the law in Destiny's stead
                                Did you like the fact that the office was so narrow? That speaks a ton about how Scott sees Rush as being narrow minded.

Comment

Working...
                                X