X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Well, they won't stop...until the end.

Like I said, let's wait a few episodes and see what happens.
    Best argument I heard so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
      You wouldn't need power to suck power. You would need to be at the seeder control panel and direct power to Destiny.
      I know that. I was factoring in the alien interference as a problem. It was logical to assume at that point the alien they captured was not the only one on the ship.

If Rush did stop it, how would he prevent anyone from re-starting it?
      That's the key question.
      By locking them out and blaming it on the aliens doing it from somewhere else on the ship. No need to reverse the power transfer. Even if the one alien had been the only one, the seeder ship could not have been thoroughly searched in time to verify this.

Or make up some kind of technical excuse like it seems he was attempting to do if he really did stop it before he got zatted.

RUSH: I'm not sure, but it appears that tapping this ship's energy reserves seems more problematical than we thought.
      Would Young have sent Eli over there to ferret out Rush. Possibly. But we'll never know.

If you believe that Rush doesn't want the crew to go home, then, you would have to reason that Rush needs a permanent way to stop Destiny from accessing the power reserves of the seeder ship.
      Then, my theory becomes feasible, doesn't it?
      As does mine. That he only merely intended to stop the transfer and then somehow stall long enough until they were out of time...which wasn't very long...and Destiny was ready to disconnect and jump.

And with that, I think we are done. Or I am at least.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
        I know that. I was factoring in the alien interference as a problem. It was logical to assume at that point the alien they captured was not the only one on the ship.
        Especially after Sgt. Greer said it had friends.

By locking them out and blaming it on the aliens doing it from somewhere else on the ship. No need to reverse the power transfer. Even if the one alien had been the only one, the seeder ship could not have been thoroughly searched in time to verify this.

Or make up some kind of technical excuse like it seems he was attempting to do if he really did stop it before he got zatted.
        While that could have worked, it would prolong the Destiny-Seeder dock.
        It would invite more and more people to come over.

Would Young have sent Eli over there to ferret out Rush. Possibly. But we'll never know.
        As does mine. That he only merely intended to stop the transfer and then somehow stall long enough until they were out of time...which wasn't very long...and Destiny was ready to disconnect and jump.

And with that, I think we are done. Or I am at least.
        This is an interesting theory, hopefully we'll find out in the future.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

New guy here on the boards, so don't kill me if this theory has already been stated.

Awakening was a good episode.

I think the Aliens are like worker bees and they are there to construct and deliver the Stargates to planets. They were in cryo sleep because the ship completed its run of deliveries. I also think Destiny was meant to meet up with the ship and dock with it to replenish itself. When the aliens woke up and saw the humans they assumed they had took control of destiny and was now trying to sap all their power and leave them stuck. They stunned all the humans and tried to get the power they where giving back. They obviously are really familiar with the ships controls which leads me to believe they have ties to the ancients. Now this is all my theories and it might pan out and it might not.

Now to Rush. I have no idea why he is keeping the bridge a secret when he has said it himself that Destiny was meant to be run by a crew and not by one person. When young finds out that he has had total control of the ship for a while and has kept it a secret he will try and Kill him again.

Well that is all I have for now I will be looking forward to posting more about the future episodes

Comment

If they decided to colonize that particular galaxy.
            They've already got a galaxy to themselves, why make another?

And you got these facts from where?
            I never said it took Destiny 4 hours to get to seeder ship, I onlyt said FTL drives have to run for 4 hours minimum.
            Brody says it's a short jump, ergo they couldn't have been in FTL for very long.

You keep saying it as a fact. Which is not. Everybody refers to the database, not the subspace link. Is the database there? Yes. Is Subspace link the method used by Destiny to get it, don't know. Is it how Destiny get all the information in the database, don't know.
            It's in the episode, you just refuse to accept it.

Of course I would be. Just imagine, design a whole ship to ship docking system that will never be used, yeah, I see the efficiency of your point.
            It'd be used when they were building it.

It's an automated ship. Why would any console be online or active?
            Lights were on. fine. It's an automated process, there hasn't been anyone around for million+ years. I would expect nothing to be on.
            If it were active they wouldn't need to boot anything up. Nothing on the ship was active, even things that should be.

Good answer, very clever of you. I like the way you sidestepped it.
            I answered you earlier in this thread. Backtrack.

I'm unwilling to drop anything that you haven't rationally argued for.
            Just because you say it is, doesn't make it so.
            But when Mallozzi does, it does make it so. He's very clear on this. Destiny never should have caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
              They've already got a galaxy to themselves, why make another?
              Well, lets see, The ancients came from the Ori Galaxy, left Milky Way because of the plague, went to Pegasus, lost to Wraith and returned to Milky Way.
              I would think the Destiny project was probably set out before they left to Pegasus. Maybe what they planned to do is exactly as the holo recording said when Weir discovered Atlantis. To seed a new Galaxy. We know they had the capability to do so.

Brody says it's a short jump, ergo they couldn't have been in FTL for very long.
              Actually, that was my argument. From the moment Rush stopped Destiny in 'Aftermath', it took Destiny about 6 hours in FTL to get to the seed ship. Destiny travels within a corridor of gated planets, and yet, there were no gated planets around when Rush stopped Destiny.
              If we theorize that Destiny took a detour. from it's normal course, to meet up with the seeder ship, it would fit in nicely.

It's in the episode, you just refuse to accept it.
              I'll believe it when I see it.

It'd be used when they were building it.
              When they are building it, they wouldn't need to build such an elaborate setup as Destiny to Seeder ship docking, especially when you project that it will never be used. All you would need is a docking bay for a shuttle, maybe.

On top of which, if they are manufacturing Stargates, they could have used one of Stargates to gate in or out of the seeder ship.

The only logical and reasonable answer would be if the docking was a recurring event.

If it were active they wouldn't need to boot anything up. Nothing on the ship was active, even things that should be.
              Er? Do you read before you type?

I said
              It's an automated ship. Why would any console be online or active?
              Lights were on. fine. It's an automated process, there hasn't been anyone around for million+ years. I would expect nothing to be on.
              But when Mallozzi does, it does make it so. He's very clear on this. Destiny never should have caught up.
              And yet, it did. If he decides to have another seeder ship dock, what are going to say next? He changed his mind?

Comment

Well, lets see, The ancients came from the Ori Galaxy, left Milky Way because of the plague, went to Pegasus, lost to Wraith and returned to Milky Way.
                I would think the Destiny project was probably set out before they left to Pegasus. Maybe what they planned to do is exactly as the holo recording said when Weir discovered Atlantis. To seed a new Galaxy. We know they had the capability to do so.
                They left the Milky Way because of a plague, left their first galaxy because of the Ori, and left Pegasus because of the Wraith. Distinct pattern here. If it were just colonization, why go so far out as to make it impossible to reach home in a simple manner?

Actually, that was my argument. From the moment Rush stopped Destiny in 'Aftermath', it took Destiny about 6 hours in FTL to get to the seed ship. Destiny travels within a corridor of gated planets, and yet, there were no gated planets around when Rush stopped Destiny.
                If we theorize that Destiny took a detour. from it's normal course, to meet up with the seeder ship, it would fit in nicely.
                Or there were no worlds worth seeding on the path, which the seeder ship would not have deviated from, and thus it just picked up the ship mid-flight, as we're shown from the bridge.

I'll believe it when I see it.
                It's been seen, you just don't want to accept it.

When they are building it, they wouldn't need to build such an elaborate setup as Destiny to Seeder ship docking, especially when you project that it will never be used. All you would need is a docking bay for a shuttle, maybe.
                Shuttles can't transfer dozens of people in the span of a few minutes. Docking can. And again, when they first built it, they would need to be able to dock with it for test before they threw it into the far reaches of the universe.

On top of which, if they are manufacturing Stargates, they could have used one of Stargates to gate in or out of the seeder ship.
                Those gates are in a long factory line with no platforms for people to stand on and nothing powering them.

The only logical and reasonable answer would be if the docking was a recurring event.
                Only by your narrow logic. You refuse to see the simple answer.

And yet, it did. If he decides to have another seeder ship dock, what are going to say next? He changed his mind?
                If another docks, it too will no doubt be broken. These ships are even older than Destiny. It's bound to happen.

Comment

They left the Milky Way because of a plague, left their first galaxy because of the Ori, and left Pegasus because of the Wraith. Distinct pattern here. If it were just colonization, why go so far out as to make it impossible to reach home in a simple manner?
                  Really? You just said that?
                  You would have to presume that they intended to dial to Destiny from Earth. probably from Atlantis.

Atlantis is fully powered by 3 ZPMs. We know 1 ZPM has more than enough power to connect to the next galaxy, Maybe 3 ZPMs are enough to connect to Destiny or the could wire together as many as necessary to meet the power requirement.

Anyway, if they are able to connect safely to Destiny, it would stand to reason that they can reach anywhere before Destiny.

How much simpler than 'Dial the gate and fly a puddle jumper through.' would you like to get?

Or there were no worlds worth seeding on the path, which the seeder ship would not have deviated from, and thus it just picked up the ship mid-flight, as we're shown from the bridge.
                  All we know is that Destiny follows a corridor of gated planets, not necessarily the shortest path through the Galaxy.
                  On top of everything. the seeder ships send data of all planets that they seeded. Destiny decides it's own course based on that information.

It's been seen, you just don't want to accept it.
                  Show me.

Shuttles can't transfer dozens of people in the span of a few minutes. Docking can. And again, when they first built it, they would need to be able to dock with it for test before they threw it into the far reaches of the universe.
                  You can use the Stargate, and the Ancients also invented the rings. There are many options. To build an elaborate set-up that will never be used would be useless.

Those gates are in a long factory line with no platforms for people to stand on and nothing powering them.
                  They would have to have a finished product before they place it on a planet.
                  Guess what, it would be able to Dial and connect. And even if it didn't have any power before it's placed on a planet, it would be able to accept a gate connection.

Only by your narrow logic. You refuse to see the simple answer.
                  Not quite. It's the most logical and reasonable answer.

If another docks, it too will no doubt be broken. These ships are even older than Destiny. It's bound to happen.
                  If a docking happened after million+ years without a hitch, then it would be safer to presume there won't be problems with further docking.

Comment

Really? You just said that?
                    You would have to presume that they intended to dial to Destiny from Earth. probably from Atlantis.

Atlantis is fully powered by 3 ZPMs. We know 1 ZPM has more than enough power to connect to the next galaxy, Maybe 3 ZPMs are enough to connect to Destiny or the could wire together as many as necessary to meet the power requirement.

Anyway, if they are able to connect safely to Destiny, it would stand to reason that they can reach anywhere before Destiny.

How much simpler than 'Dial the gate and fly a puddle jumper through.' would you like to get?
                    The intent isn't to reach anywhere before Destiny, it's to reach Destiny. Again, they only move when their civilization is in danger. Galaxies are huge. They could never fill one, much less several.

All we know is that Destiny follows a corridor of gated planets, not necessarily the shortest path through the Galaxy.
                    On top of everything. the seeder ships send data of all planets that they seeded. Destiny decides it's own course based on that information.
                    The planets they seeded is the course it follows. That's why they're in a line.

Show me.
                    From "Life":
                    WALLACE: The sub-space link from the ships that are seeding the Gates. I came across something that didn't quite fit with the coordinates that were established on the previous ...

Right there. Eli can and has gone through the link, so it factually exists. Now seriously, stop acting like it's just something Rush made up. It's there. Deal with it.

You can use the Stargate, and the Ancients also invented the rings. There are many options. To build an elaborate set-up that will never be used would be useless.
                    The ship doesn't house active Stargates, Destiny doesn't have rings that we know of and neither does the seeder, and no matter how you slice it having a docking port for any ship is common sense.

They would have to have a finished product before they place it on a planet.
                    Guess what, it would be able to Dial and connect. And even if it didn't have any power before it's placed on a planet, it would be able to accept a gate connection.
                    The finished product wouldn't be launched to or dropped on a planet ramp and all. The Stargates are packed too tightly. The gate would have to be installed after the ramp was made.

Not quite. It's the most logical and reasonable answer.
                    It isn't logical if you ignore the facts to support your theories.

If a docking happened after million+ years without a hitch, then it would be safer to presume there won't be problems with further docking.
                    I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at here. The point is, the ship didn't stop because it was supposed to. It stopped because it broke.

Comment

The intent isn't to reach anywhere before Destiny, it's to reach Destiny. Again, they only move when their civilization is in danger. Galaxies are huge. They could never fill one, much less several.
                      The Ancients seeded the Galaxy, not just colonized it.
                      You'll notice that they went to Pegasus a million years ago, but the inhabitants were not ancients. In fact the ATA gene was very rare there also.
                      In another words, they create new life in their form. Remember the Ancient device in Dakarta?

The planets they seeded is the course it follows. That's why they're in a line.
                      Actually the seed planets would probably travel through the galaxy in parallel course.
                      Seeding whatever planets it deemed feasible. Then, the data would be sent to Destiny, and Destiny would plot a course through it.
                      Probably not in a straight line.

From "Life":
                      WALLACE: The sub-space link from the ships that are seeding the Gates. I came across something that didn't quite fit with the coordinates that were established on the previous ...

Right there. Eli can and has gone through the link, so it factually exists. Now seriously, stop acting like it's just something Rush made up. It's there. Deal with it.
                      Actually, I never read it that way. I read it as he looked at the database of the planets and the coordinates were off.

Now that I'm reading it again, as per your point, yes, the subspace link is there.
                      So, if that's the case, why transfer data when a seeder docks???

The ship doesn't house active Stargates, Destiny doesn't have rings that we know of and neither does the seeder, and no matter how you slice it having a docking port for any ship is common sense.
                      Before a Seeder ship actually places a Stargate on a planet, it must test it, somehow.
                      At that moment the least you can do is connect to it.

Having a docking port for a ship is common sense if you plan to dock regularly using the dock. Thank you for proving my point.
                      Look at the drones that military use, they strip of everything that they don't need from it.

The finished product wouldn't be launched to or dropped on a planet ramp and all. The Stargates are packed too tightly. The gate would have to be installed after the ramp was made.
                      And you 're stating this whole procedure as a fact because you saw in what episode?

It isn't logical if you ignore the facts to support your theories.
                      If I ignore your assertions that haven't been proven, your theories hold less water.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at here. The point is, the ship didn't stop because it was supposed to. It stopped because it broke.
                      Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. Prove it, Show me.
                      Last edited by Misfits; 18 October 2010, 12:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by saber5 View Post
                        Hello Everyone,

New guy here on the boards, so don't kill me if this theory has already been stated.

Awakening was a good episode.

I think the Aliens are like worker bees and they are there to construct and deliver the Stargates to planets. They were in cryo sleep because the ship completed its run of deliveries. I also think Destiny was meant to meet up with the ship and dock with it to replenish itself. When the aliens woke up and saw the humans they assumed they had took control of destiny and was now trying to sap all their power and leave them stuck. They stunned all the humans and tried to get the power they where giving back. They obviously are really familiar with the ships controls which leads me to believe they have ties to the ancients. Now this is all my theories and it might pan out and it might not.

Now to Rush. I have no idea why he is keeping the bridge a secret when he has said it himself that Destiny was meant to be run by a crew and not by one person. When young finds out that he has had total control of the ship for a while and has kept it a secret he will try and Kill him again.

Well that is all I have for now I will be looking forward to posting more about the future episodes
                        It certainly seems plausible that the aliens were more connected to the ship than just some passing science team of another race. Their pods looked similar to the design of the ship, which suggests they were connected it.

However they could have appropriated them for their uses, but that would still suggest that there was some sort of crew or work team intended for the ship.

Anyway I’m sure Telford will have ample opportunity to find out in his little sojourn.

Comment

The Ancients seeded the Galaxy, not just colonized it.
                          You'll notice that they went to Pegasus a million years ago, but the inhabitants were not ancients. In fact the ATA gene was very rare there also.
                          In another words, they create new life in their form. Remember the Ancient device in Dakarta?
                          Creating life still takes millions of years to have it evolve.

Actually the seed planets would probably travel through the galaxy in parallel course.
                          Seeding whatever planets it deemed feasible. Then, the data would be sent to Destiny, and Destiny would plot a course through it.
                          Probably not in a straight line.
                          Directly contradicted by canon. Watch "Lost" again.

Actually, I never read it that way. I read it as he looked at the database of the planets and the coordinates were off.

Now that I'm reading it again, as per your point, yes, the subspace link is there.
                          So, if that's the case, why transfer data when a seeder docks???
                          Because the ship was damaged and couldn't transmit that way.

Before a Seeder ship actually places a Stargate on a planet, it must test it, somehow.
                          At that moment the least you can do is connect to it.

Having a docking port for a ship is common sense if you plan to dock regularly using the dock. Thank you for proving my point.
                          Look at the drones that military use, they strip of everything that they don't need from it.
                          The military doesn't make drone aircraft out of cargo planes. Your analogy fails.

The seeders still don't have an active Stargate till its placed. It'd be powered up for a test, dropped, and the ship would move on.

And you 're stating this whole procedure as a fact because you saw in what episode?
                          You see any base platforms in the massive factory?

If I ignore your assertions that haven't been proven, your theories hold less water.
                          And yours hold none, because none of them are based in canon.

Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. Prove it, Show me.
                          You really just won't give it up, will you? Mallozzi's already made it clear. They aren't supposed to stop. Rather than accept this simple fact, you've latched on to this theory and just refuse to let go of it. The characters would be able to tell the difference between a ship that stopped on purpose and one that broke down. This is the latter.

Comment

Creating life still takes millions of years to have it evolve.
                            And? Look at your question. You asked why the ancients would go to any galaxy Destiny passed by. To seed the galaxy with life. They did it in Pegasus.
                            We do know that Pegasus is the first Galaxy that Destiny passed through, yet, the Stargates found in Pegasus is the latest models, not the ones in in the Seed ships. So, the Ancienrts went to Pegasus, gated the whole galaxy after they got there, and then seeded the Galaxy. And if they didn't encounter the Wraith, maybe they would have continued on to more Galaxies. It would be a reasnable projection.

Directly contradicted by canon. Watch "Lost" again.
                            I've watched all the episodes many times. It still doesn't prove your point. At the edge of the galaxy, obviously there are less planets that are viable to seed. Doesn't illustrate what's within the Galaxy, or how spread out they are.

Because the ship was damaged and couldn't transmit that way.
                            And your proof is? Just because Destiny crew are theorizing does not mean that it is a fact.
                            Just look at 'Darkness/Light' Rush was missing a key information. How Destiny re-fueled. Therefore he thought Destiny was going to be destroyed.

The military doesn't make drone aircraft out of cargo planes. Your analogy fails.
                            Mt analogy works fine, thank you. Just because you have a closed mind doesn't make so.
                            In case of a drone, an unmanned anything. anything that won't be re-used is stripped away.

The seeders still don't have an active Stargate till its placed. It'd be powered up for a test, dropped, and the ship would move on.
                            And in what episode did you see this happen?

You see any base platforms in the massive factory?
                            The ships are massive. We only saw one section from one point of view.

And yours hold none, because none of them are based in canon.
                            Things change.

You really just won't give it up, will you? Mallozzi's already made it clear. They aren't supposed to stop. Rather than accept this simple fact, you've latched on to this theory and just refuse to let go of it. The characters would be able to tell the difference between a ship that stopped on purpose and one that broke down. This is the latter.
                            And you know for a fact that he'll never change his mind, right?
                            I've known Producers, creators change their mind and canons whenever they could justifiably do so, and they deem necessary.

If you want to close your mind, go right ahead. I was always under impression that in Science Fiction, we look for common sense and open own minds to possibilities.

Comment

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed the episode. This season is looking like it's gonna be AMAZING!! Also, a side note, I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not because I skipped 23 pages but, Did anyone else notice that the seed ships "wings" are the same shape/design as the stargate's chevron? I thought that was pretty awesome.

Comment

Awakenings Review [SGU - 203]
                                By xxxevilgrinxxx | Published: October 18, 2010 [crossposted from my personal blog]

As with so many of Stargate Universe’s titles, there is meaning in the title. On its surface it could be as simple as ‘the aliens awake’, but I wonder if the meaning is as simple as that. Part of the clue may be in this snippet:
                                RUSH: Destiny’s exchanging data with the seed ship.

For whatever reason the seeder ship stopped – malfunction, an invasion by the Brown aliens and their possible research, a call from the destiny herself, or some sort of prearranged event – information is now being sent to Destiny and I believe that this information may also be a part of that ‘awakening’, although we may not see the results immediately.

Along with the concept of the aliens waking up and something in Destiny waking up, there’s the take your friend by the shoulders and give him a shake – the “Wake up, man!” This form of awakening we see in a triad between Telford, Young and Rush. Out in the hallway, Telford has been having a somewhat one-sided conversation with Young about being kept in the loop about decisions on the Destiny. While that conversation was interesting on its own, in the filming of this scene – with the focus shifting between Telford-Young and Rush – Rush becomes included in what Telford is stating.

TELFORD: You’ve been going this alone since the incursion and it’s been taking a toll. When are you gonna realise that this isn’t just about you? You have a responsibility to people on board this ship and lately you haven’t been up to the task. Now, either shape up or step back.

This statement appears to echo what the Destiny herself, in the form of Gloria, has been telling Rush all along. You have this responsibility and it’s time to take it up or be judged accordingly. For Rush, this is beginning to show, both in the distrust he’s fostering amongst the crew and in the near-disgust that comes from the Destiny, in the form of Gloria, who has looked particularly disappointed in some of the choices that Rush has made, and continues to make. As much as Rush states that Young isn’t up for the task, Rush hasn’t measured up either and I wonder how much longer the Destiny will continue to let it happen.

TELFORD: Hey, you saved my life.
                                YOUNG: I had to kill you to do it.
                                TELFORD: And I’m willing to do the same for you.

Young’s responsibility is more open and straightforward, if only because it is visibly seen by more people. While his self-pity is understandable given the circumstances, Young needs to wake up. Despite Telford’s statement and subtle threat, Young does not need to step back and he definitely does not need to step back for the likes of Telford, a man who became a traitor and whose agenda is still not clear. This is something that Young clearly sees for himself and I’m reminded of when Rush made a similar statement about whom should be checking with whom before issuing orders. When the pain has abated, I’m hoping that Young too will wake up and lead those people. Telford, Wray, Rush, Earth, the IOA, they’ve all got their own agendas to serve and Young, however imperfectly, is serving the cause of the people on the ship.

JOHANSEN (softly): Do you think you could handle me?…I didn’t think so.

Oddly, I believe that the existence of the LA on board the ship is sharpening that drive. Of all the other dangers confronting the crew, the LA prisoners are something he has the ability to deal with himself. This isn’t a science problem – out of his hands, where he’s left at the mercy of things he doesn’t understand and a scientist he doesn’t trust – this is a personnel problem. Concrete and reliant on his actions. What guides those actions is the question and Young needs to navigate somewhere between the anger he currently feels for the people responsible for the death of a soldier, the death of a child and the harm to TJ and the agendas of Earth and the IOA, voiced by Wray. Following Wray’s suggestions about the treatment of the prisoners would be a mistake as I believe that Wray doesn’t have all the facts, nor the requisite judge of character to decide who is a threat and who isn’t. On the Destiny, they are on their own, and continuing to look to Earth for support is foolhardy but it is only through Earth that Wray believes that she has influence. By the end of the episode, Young does soften in his judgment, if only slightly, by introducing more basic comforts. That this comes from TJ, on one most harmed, is noteworthy.

As the others have needed to wake up, so has TJ. While TJ has never been painted as particularly weak, she has had burdens to carry. An affair with a married man and the mortification of not being able to get away from the situation, only to find out that she’s pregnant and then to lose that child. All of these things have softened TJ to the point where it could be forgotten that she is also Lieutenant Johansen and that there’s steel in her as well. It was a good thing to see but I fear that at some point, more drastic action will have to be taken against Simeon. Especially with what has just happened to TJ, there is an untouchable quality to her now and of all the people on the ship, she is one that should not be threatened, especially in that way. that Simeon would go there just furthers what a dangerous sort of person he is and it will come up again. Wray has stated that trust and respect must be offered to the prisoners and maybe, in time, that may be true for some, but not for all.

RUSH: This is where the Stargates were manufactured before being transported to the various planets.
                                RUSH: Well, now we’re done with this little diversion, could you escort me to the Control Room?

The scene of the seeder ship factory should have been one filled with wonder and, from the music and lead in selected, this was the aim. That is fell flat was purposeful and I find myself curious about a couple of things. First off, I find it interesting that Scott and Greer went out of their way to show this to Rush. It all had the feel of something wonderful, something they thought he would be excited to find. There’s a kindness in that that shouldn’t be overlooked and unlike Rush, I don’t believe it was meant to divert him from anything else. The second thing that grabbed me about this scene was the mention of the gates being transported where they needed to go. A transportation device would beat out a busted shuttle any day and yet, Rush just waves it off as though it is nothing. What could be bigger than a transportation device? Controlling the flow of information and power to Destiny? To what end? As with the previous gate home attempt and failure, I have a strong feeling that Eli will be taking apart this attempt at well and, given how much the young scientist has learned in the interim, I think he’ll be the one to figure out exactly what happened.

The most obvious ‘awakenings’ imagery comes from the aliens themselves, although their presence is as much a mystery as the ship itself. The aliens appeared to be docile, even frightened to the point of fainting at the sight of Volker, but there is no way to tell how much of that is accurate, or even if it was a sort of a ruse. They may well have been a research team sent to explore the seeder ship, but why were they stranded so long? What was their mission and are they responsible for the dearth of stargates in the area that the Destiny is moving through? Were the aliens responsible for Rush and Dunning being stunned? Or was that an action of the seeder ship itself? As we saw no aggressive actions on the part of any of the aliens, how can we be sure? Were the aliens responsible for closing the ship off as the crew fled? Or was that the seeder ship’s, or even the Destiny’s doing? Was it all a trick to lure people from the Destiny aboard the seeder ship? One of the largest things awakened in me by the presence of the aliens is more questions and I’m hoping that future episodes will answer some of them.

Photographs have formed so many significant moments throughout SGU. Rush’s photo of his wife Gloria has come back a few times. Eli’s room full of photos on the wall. The photo that Young produces for Telford in Subversion and the photos that Greer is looking over when he is thinking of his family. There are these, and more. That Riley is remembered in a photo is significant and a way that he remains on the Destiny as something more solid than a memory. That it is Wray that is with Greer in these moments is touching and significant, given their history with each other. For all of the things I find unlikable about Wray, the moments where she is fully vested the crew of the Destiny is when she shines.

The ending montage is a great place to present all these issues that would lose something if addressed with dialogue. What is there to say in words that doesn’t shout out in silence? If Young is carrying a burden, Brody carries it now too. Among all of the crew, he alone knows exactly how much Young is drinking and, like any decent bartender, he shares responsibility for it. But how to address it? The crew knows what Young’s lost but a time will come when Brody will have to cut the colonel off and that is a wakening too.

Rush has what he wants, what he thought he always wanted, but it hasn’t brought him any joy. In the final scene, he is slumped in the chair of the Destiny when he should be excited, wondering at the marvel of it, but he has no one to share it with. In leadership, he is, like Young, completely alone. Worse than alone, in that he is a leader in secret. While Young may be doubted by those of his crew, Rush is doubted by the Destiny herself, in the growing derisive voice of his dead wife, Gloria. He could never have this thing alone and, in wanting it all for himself, he is squandering it. If he didn’t know this on some level, I don’t think it would weigh on him like it does. In leaving Telford, the weight, the responsibility, of another death is on his shoulders. As Telford has stated, it’s time to shape up or step back and I fear that Rush is not able to do either.

Any discussion of what is awakening would be lacking if it didn’t mention what is happening to Chloe. Only briefly touched upon in this episode – a mention to TJ about the healed wound on her leg and the final montage clip – it opens up the topic for the upcoming episode Pathogen. I look forward to more answers on this question, as well as the others raised in Awakenings.

Rating: 8/10

Further notes:

The pulled hamstring
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X