This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgc View Post
    IMO, shouldn't Homeworld Command have shield technology at its disposal? Certainly we have reached that point to be able to put some shields on a few important buildings...
    Maybe thats why the ship crashed. It broke through the shield.
    sigpic

Comment

I doubt they'd have a shield over the building. I can't see the smarts in it.

Nothing says alien technologiy like a huge energy shield appearing over the pentagon. It's hardly in the middle of nowhere, it would light the place up like a christmas tree "Hi world, we have top secret conspiracy stuff going on here, oh and we have super advanced alien technology".

Comment

Liked
        -The Chloe Moments with the woman from her old life that just didn't get it.
        -Couple of Woah! plot moments with the ceiling collapsing and the gore of a severed leg
        -French's character had interesting thoughts on "the signal" and how earth would react to it.
        -Big plus for forcing the FTL and having Varo try to explain stuff very fast.

That's about it. These types of episodes are not why I watch the show but it was still entertaining.
        I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          A re-watch made this episode even better. Love how the stones got used. Wish I could change my rating to a 9.
          Me too. I much prefer them as a tool for driving the story, which they did very cleverly in this ep. And the little human touches that went along with them, like Greer checking the stone out before he put it on the tablet.
          sigpic

Comment

I wish we were going to see more of Covel...I thought the character could of grown quite interesting over time if he had more of a Telford-like role. Except being the scientist counterpart.

Comment

(spoilers for next episode)
              Spoiler:
              I loved the whole TJ and Michaels bit about having a real doctor aboard and about TJ learning what all the stuff does- hint at the next episode!

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                The Taliban are recognise as one of the main people behind the Drug trade in Afghanistan, obtaining about 200 million dollars per year from it in profits. The Taliban are more drug runners now than rebels fight a nobel islamic fight as they would like the west and fellow muslims to believe.
                It's mixed. There is a lot of Islamic fanaticism mixed in with the Taliban angry at it's outster. And they are financed in part by the drug trade. But Afghanistan is, like several other Middle East and North Africa countries, made up of warlord and clan factions. Gaddafi himself didn't quite lead Libya, so much as manage to keep several different competing clan factions to work together. It's quite interesting, when you get into how he managed to form Libya and keep it together. Another example is Yemen, in which the warlords of various factions hold sway on territory, and the government actually has little power outside the capital city.

So we have plenty of examples right here on Earth of how the LA should be. One of the few differences is that the LA is made up of thieves and smugglers, so appears to be more of a crime syndicate, rather than a family clan. Warlords in the Middle East are generally more clan and family oriented, with crime on the side to support themselves.

Actually it not the Somali warlords who are behind the pirate attacks. It local fisherman who loss out to other countries fishing vessels who raped Somali seas of fish stocks as they were ungovern by catch quotas like many other seas, especially the European Union control fisheries where many of these vessels originated from, many of them were Spanish and Portuguese.
                Sorry, but you're a bit misinformed on this; Who are Somalia's pirates?:

"Today's pirates are mainly fighters for Somalia's many warlord factions, who have fought each other for control of the country since the collapse of the Siad Barre government in 1991."

Look at the drug cartels in Mexico do,they attack an kill anyone who get in there way government officials, army, intelligence services, civilians. The Lucian alliance are much close related to those guys than Somali pirates or Taliban.
                They attack Mexican officials and governments. If they started attacking the Pentagon, they know damn well how the US would respond. Look what happened when another group of people attacked the Pentagon (and the World Trade Center). I can buy stupidity from religious extremists; not from businessmen who would have needed intelligence, cunning, and guile to rise to the top.

An the Lucian alliance is not fighting Earth because of what earth is now they are fighting earth for what earth is becoming a galactic super power with technology and weapons that substantially out classed there own. Who is rapidly expanding its operations and got access to even more advance technology. They may not stopped little ol warlords just yet but they the most likely to form a galaxy wide government in the short term.
                You seriously buy this? That Earth would form a galaxy wide government? They can't even get along very well with the Jaffa, and they worked closely together with them! And even if this was the case, it's still stupid to attack Earth; the last thing you want to do is create an enemy for yourself. Do you go out of your way to deliberately create enemies by attacking people? I'm sure the sane people of this forum don't. If you wouldn't... why would the LA?

Maybe there is a good reason, but at this point, I doubt it. I can pretty much tell because they never showed us any of that supposed "intel" they were getting from the LA people on board. We keep hearing about how it's good stuff, but how can it be, when it was also clear that none of them knew anything? What exactly were the LA people saying? Varro pretty much said it: they didn't know anything. Which puts the lie to the supposed "good intel" they were getting.

It's the elephant in the room no one wants to address, and bad writing, plain and simple. And I don't want it to be bad writing; the SG series has come up with several good stories over the years, so if I'm critical of this, it is because I want them to do better, because I know they can do better.

Comment

sorry for my (stupid) question, but why is this episode called "Alliances"?
                  Grimm returns October 24
                  sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                  Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                    Sort of alliance between Greer and Wray, between TJ and Varro? Alliances like... the Lucian Alliance?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                      So that's the first time u noticed that the episode name has nothing to do with the content???
                      Please!!! Most of SGU episodes are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
                        Most of SGU episodes are like that.
                        Would you mind mentioning some examples?
                        sigpic

Comment

Would you mind mentioning some examples?
                          Air, Water, Darkness and Light spring to mind
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                            Air, Water, Darkness and Light spring to mind
                            But they did have something to do with the content.
                            sigpic

Comment

yes, these were maybe even the most story related titles.
                              Grimm returns October 24
                              sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                              Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

I was joking
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X