Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about space in Stargate is that it's a lot easier to get to when there's a convenient ring that transports people across the galaxy no questions asked. Add on to that the fact that the Lucian Alliance is pretty much limited to former Goa'uld worlds; as you pointed out, space is pretty big, big enough that finding a random world that can support life would be difficult at best. Take those factors into account, as well as the fact that Earth has been a huge pain in the ass, and trying to push them out of the picture isn't such a bad idea.

Frankly, I'm more curious as to why Earth hasn't just dealt with this. They obviously have enough spies to know how to infiltrate the group. Nuke a few major bases to show them we aren't taking their crap instead of just sabotaging kassa shipments.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the Lucian Alliance needing space and everything to do with the fact that Earth is trying to exterminate them.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
        This episode is the perfect example why this show is dead. It just doesnt make sense when compared to what we've seen in the past Stargate stories. Thats why many fans left. This episode pissed me off.

Stranded people are never left behind, still HC is considering it. O'Neill is running HC, doesnt make sense at all.

Although LA grabbed lots of tech and stuff, going directly after Earth, the civilization that befriend the most advanced races and defeated the most evil ones... they must have a suicidal wish of some kind.

And for the last time, Destiny IS NOT 1 MILLION YEARS OLD. The fact that they are still holding to their initial error just proves how pig headed they are. How can Destiny be 1mil if Atlantis is at least 5mil and light years ahead in tech.

This show is dead cause it doesnt make any (insert rude word) sense.
        Come on! You sound like a typical sci-fi nerd. People are ''never left behind"... you sound like a writer of that one Stargate audiobook where one guy was dragging the dead body of Daniel Jackson (or someone) while getting killed in the process whispering "we never leave our people behind" or sth. It's just a clichee line, just try not to leave anyone behind in real life where there's big politics, money or wartime situation? I understand that it's a noble idea but it's for teenagers and people who love movies like "Pearl Harbor"...

About LA. I constantly don't understand why people are overestimating Earth. It's not Star Trek Federation-like galactic power. it has a few ships and few small bases off-world and Earth that still uses inferior technology in order to keep Stargate program a secret. The thing is- Earth cannot beat LA because it simply has no resources. It would be like going against Iraq with 6 Abrams tanks- for smaller operations it's ok but full scale war and eradication of the LA???. Sure, the tech is better than the one LA is having but LA controls 100s of worlds maybe and Earth has how many ships and personell???? Earth destroyed those races not because of superior firepower but because of their brain. But in this case humans (Earth) are going up against other humans (LA)....

About Destiny's age- of course it's older but... the writers have come up, in the past, with riduculous numbers that would make Destiny be like 50 millions years old or sth. As this number is ridiculously large, they don't advertize the timeline that much in SGU. It's not the first time that franchise bends its timeline or rules because they've created ridiculous things in the past. Trek has done it numerous times with different measurments etc. It's also why they couldn't just beam them out of the Pentagon. The writers are doing a more realistic show and don't focus that much on all the shiny technologies and stuff they have introduced in the previous series. I understand that some might not like it but that's life. Therefore we don't see much beaming in everyday situation, people die and are invalids instead of using healing devices, Destiny (altough predates Pegasus and Milky Way Ancients) is at best only million years old etc. You can't make drama out of constant beaming in and out and reviving people using Goua'uld sarcophagus (that they got rid of long time ago, already in SG1)
        Last edited by latvian_stargatefan; 22 March 2011, 04:54 PM.
        - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

I wonder what was in the file Wray was about to pickup when the LA pilot grabbed her?

Comment

So will the LA be doing 9/11 style attacks from now on? If so how do you really stop that? I mean its not like the TSA could make people getting into Goa'uld Cargo ships go through the security screening that we have to deal with in the post 9/11 world. Now, arguably, much of the pre-9/11 Al Qaeda doesn't exist anymore thanks to a lot of those UAV attacks on their leadership. So would this mean that Earth would then be "figthing them over there so we don't have to fight them here?"

Comment

This was a pretty solid episode. Not the best of the season by any stretch, but definitely enjoyable.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                I wonder what was in the file Wray was about to pickup when the LA pilot grabbed her?
                That wasn't Wray trying to pick up a file. That was Evans grabbing a pen out of the desk to hold Wray hostage with.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                  That wasn't Wray trying to pick up a file. That was Evans grabbing a pen out of the desk to hold Wray hostage with.
                  Aaah, the pen is mightier than sword' of course!!!!

Bit of a mixed bag this episode for me. I can't understand why Home World Command would be so vulnerable to attack! They've got advanced alien technology, you'd think they'd have some sensors to pick up LA ships coming in cloaked by now, I'm sure they can detect them in some way. Or maybe this is a convenient thing that hasn't been suddenly discovered and put into operation by McKay!

The character moments were good as always for SGU and the questionable use of someone else's body to be the hero in was a nice touch. Discovering that your body is dying and you have to go back and die in it is a horrible thought. Makes Dr Covel's action with sabotaging the stones almost understandable. It was not his choice to be in that situation. SGU certainly does morally questionable acts well.

Still, this was not one of my favourite episodes of the season, I'm fed up with the Lucian Alliance thing to be honest. I want to see more about the Destiny's mission and how the formerly mismatched crew continue to forge their unity in the common goal of seeing the mission through to the end. To this end the scene with Chloe saying that she has purpose on Destiny gave us a nice picture of what is gradually happening on Destiny. They've changed too much to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    Aaah, the pen is mightier than sword' of course!!!!

Bit of a mixed bag this episode for me. I can't understand why Home World Command would be so vulnerable to attack! They've got advanced alien technology, you'd think they'd have some sensors to pick up LA ships coming in cloaked by now, I'm sure they can detect them in some way. Or maybe this is a convenient thing that hasn't been suddenly discovered and put into operation by McKay!

The character moments were good as always for SGU and the questionable use of someone else's body to be the hero in was a nice touch. Discovering that your body is dying and you have to go back and die in it is a horrible thought. Makes Dr Covel's action with sabotaging the stones almost understandable. It was not his choice to be in that situation. SGU certainly does morally questionable acts well.

Still, this was not one of my favourite episodes of the season, I'm fed up with the Lucian Alliance thing to be honest. I want to see more about the Destiny's mission and how the formerly mismatched crew continue to forge their unity in the common goal of seeing the mission through to the end. To this end the scene with Chloe saying that she has purpose on Destiny gave us a nice picture of what is gradually happening on Destiny. They've changed too much to go back.
                    Actually, I think Tellford was in on it. He might have planned this coz he knew Wray and Greer would be on Earth. He hates them and it's a good opportunity and he knows that they wouldn't be able to stop the bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
                      Actually, I think Tellford was in on it. He might have planned this coz he knew Wray and Greer would be on Earth. He hates them and it's a good opportunity and he knows that they wouldn't be able to stop the bomb.
                      Wrong, he didn't know Greer would be there since Young order him to go a little bit before Wray was supposed to leave.

Comment

Some rewarding parts in this episode, especially w/ Greer.

Yet I am also one who doesn't really care for LA based story lines. They feel too forced to me as the writers haven't established (in my mind) enough of a motivation on the part of the LA for what they do.

Comment

Overall I liked the episode, a few things come to mind. Wray theorizes that the LA plan was to land the cloaked ship on or near the building and then just walk away and let the bomb detonate, this makes a lot of sense and explains why the LA pilot was wearing an Earth uniform, also this plan would most likely have succeeded. So why did the LA pilot do a kamikaze run into the side of the Pentagon? Did he just not know how to land the ship?
                          As for why Wray and Greer weren't just beamed out of the Pentagon, it's simple and perfectly explained in canon, the bodies they were in did not have the subcutaneous tracking implant which the beams use to get a fix on their location.

Comment

A very out of sync episode with the Stargate franchise.

I mean come on the Replicator fleet (who were basicly Ancients) were no match to 304s.

A simple example:
                            The Ori ships were no match for the 304s.
                            The Goa'uld ships were no match for the Ori ships.

Simple logics say that the Goa'uld ships are not even a mile close to no match for the 304s.

this was a serious error in the pilot too.The Hammond was taking heavy fire from Goa'uld ships? Really? Ok lets asume that the Hammond wasnt fully built.(which they could have mentioned)

Up to this point Twin Desinies was my favorite episode of the series.

It's episodes like this one that led to the cancelation.

If SGU was a show that wasn't related to SG franchise i am sure that it would have gotten a 3rd season,because it's ok.Everyone who is complaining(yes me too) are complaining because of the radical change of style.But comparing with the sci-fi and the action of SG1 and SGA, SGU is weak.And mind you the sci-fi and action was what led SG1 to 10 seasons and SGA to 5.Both SG1 and SGA had their share of drama,but they never forgot that it's a sci-fi show.Look at what happened in the first season: "they got on the ship.they whined a lot.they got water, air and food.whined some more.found out that the ship charges from the sun.whined.found blue alines.whined about the blue aliens." and that's it.

Also as a show from the same universe as two other shows who had comedy as one of their strong points, sgu is really behing.When the most funny moments are cameos of oneill... you should start asking yourself questions.
                            I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                              Overall I liked the episode, a few things come to mind. Wray theorizes that the LA plan was to land the cloaked ship on or near the building and then just walk away and let the bomb detonate, this makes a lot of sense and explains why the LA pilot was wearing an Earth uniform, also this plan would most likely have succeeded. So why did the LA pilot do a kamikaze run into the side of the Pentagon? Did he just not know how to land the ship?
                              As for why Wray and Greer weren't just beamed out of the Pentagon, it's simple and perfectly explained in canon, the bodies they were in did not have the subcutaneous tracking implant which the beams use to get a fix on their location.
                              about the beaming.Dont forget the beaming tech can target the life signs.It worked on Shepard when he was about to fly the jumper with a nuke in the hive ship.Also it worked on the locals in Inferno.
                              I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

The funny thing is I'm usually really critical of sgu but I liked this episode. I found the wray/greere story pretty good and the discussion of what the rest of people see this intelligence as a good side plot and how dangerous the idea is.

I think the only negative was the la terrorism link because it hasn't been well established. Really wish they instead had the goauld or ori fanatics because the LA doesn't make as much sense or play as well.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X