This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I know its not quite the same...but I really could feel for Young when he did what he did. On September 27th I had to make a decision to put my 15 year-old dog down. I know some of you are going to get pissy and say a dog isn't the same as a human, but I value all life...especially a dog who has been more loyal than any human could dream of being. Anyway, it was a very difficult decision to make. I couldn't imagine having to make that decision for another person.
    I think we can all relate to the situation. Its not all that different when you have to give the word "to pull the plug" for a coma patient. Its all about respecting what a terminally ill person wants. Thats one of the cores of medical ethics
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
      Loved the little balances in this ep. Young nearly choking an LA guy through nutjob criminality, then suffocating Riley through compassion. That was a great juxtaposition. Ginn talking about the gate address leading to god-like powers, then Rush insanely playing god. That was frightening.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I want Varro in charge of the ship - he's the most level-headed person there
      Nice catch.

Originally posted by TheLastSunset View Post
      I don't understand - Everett suffocated Riley? You can't suffocate someone that quickly in reality, unless I'm missing something. Why didn't Tamara or people attempt to remove him from the crashed shuttle once they had a gate open with some supplies from Destiny? Or at least administer pain blocking drugs for him. I don't get why he died as well, he wasn't bleeding since she said the pressure on him was stopping it. So he wasn't bleeding to death, was it internal injuries? I thought he just got his legs pinned or something? In which, realistically, you wouldn't die very fast from that. Another thing - why does Young hold his breath as he's 'suffocating' Riley? Was Park lying in the shuttle because she wanted to be with Riley? If so, why was she hiding away from everyone else? Why didn't she help unbury the stargate?
      They couldn't move him because the pressure on his leg was the only thing stopping him from bleeding out.

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
      Did she seem like the type that would go around having sex to pass the time
      Aside from the flaws, your logic is flawless.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

The Good:
        >Eli mentioning how naquadah tends to enhance explosions.
        >Nice CGI crash!
        >Young killing Riley.
        >Young bashing that Lucian Alliance guy's head in.
        >The bridge!
        >Rush keeping secrets again. He was humanized during the last half of last season, now he's back to his old tricks.
        >Rush has some guests in his head. From the conscience wife to the science scientist, it's getting crowded in there. I wonder if Daniel will appear as another aspect of his personality.
        >Oooh! Mysterious object! Oooh! Cliffhanger! Oooh! I'd love it if every episode flowed right into the next one.
        >Less than 5 seconds of Chloe. Unless she's turning blue [take that however you will], I'm not interested.
        >The obviously Evil Lucian Alliance Guy is one of those 'chosen' by the IOA to survive. This could be very interesting. Torture him for info, anyone?
        >Stranding the other LA intruders. Sensible. There's no way they'd assimilate with the rest of the crew, and they'd be more trouble than they're worth.
        >The direction, esp. when TJ and Riley are discussing faith. Cutting to a bright light/sun while talking about God, and having that sun set to mirror Riley's doomed state... Beautiful. AND the quick zoom in on Young taking his bottle of ? with him while discussing with Wray what to do with the LA prisoners... Nice.
        >Park knows about TJ and her baby delusion.

The Bad:
        >The crew aren't wearing the cool LA leather outfits.
        >THAT was the LA's reason for investing so much manpower and resources?! They were willing to die for the usual legend about gaining the power of the gods?! Weir and her team stepped pretty much into the unknown on a possible mission of no return, but I can't believe that the recon the LA had about the state of Destiny would reinforce their belief that it somehow held the key to the power of the gods. Idiots. With all the left over Ancient tech in the Milky Way and a planet of naquadria, you'd think they'd direct their efforts closer to home.
        >So... Exactly what is Telford's status now? He's in the hold with the others, so I assume the ploy of him still being mind controlled continues. Sure, the Earth crew could just be taking him out of the hold pretty regularly to try and debrief him... but that would only help increase the suspicion of the remaining LA about where his loyalties lie. Especially Evil Lucian Alliance Guy.
        >Where did Young get those glasses? Have we seen them before?

The Ugly:
        >Nothing was particularly ugly about this episode.

The Verdict:

>SGU continues to correct the mistakes of early season 1. Aftermath was an enjoyable yet sad episode that questioned morality on several issues amidst cool sci-fi action and concepts. While I may be setting myself up for a fall, I'm hoping SGU continues in this vein.
        Last edited by nx01a; 07 October 2010, 04:16 PM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
          Riley could come back to the show anytime, though, with a little help from the Obelisk Builders, as one of Baltar's Rush's visions, etc.
          Young is headed off the deep end, so I'd expect him to have visions of Riley
          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Both Young and Rush are losing it. If they start appearing in each other's delusions, I'll clap.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
              Both Young and Rush are losing it. If they start appearing in each other's delusions, I'll clap.
              Reminds me of McKay and Weir being in each other's virtual worlds...
              But yeah, I'd cheer.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I rewatched it again and really think young killing riley may possibly be one of the more heart-wrenching stargate moments ever. He did the appropriate thing, it's what riley wanted, he had no real hope of surviving, but still just an incredibly tough thing to do emotionally.

It actually brought me back to a moment a few years ago when my mom was in the ICU (she's okay now luckily) but my brother and I made the mistake of coming to see her right as they pulled the plug on some guy in a car accident as his family stood around. The family had made the decision, but still it was a single person (the nurse) who actually had to shut the machines down. I'm not a nurse or doctor but it has to be a very tough thing to do emotionally, even if it's the right thing to do.

Comment

Usually I would come up with a lame re-write of the script for this, but Riley's death is still unbelievable and sad to me, and I won't for this episode.

RIP Sgt Riley
                  Tst

Comment

BTW

Whilst reading this thread the ad below said "Save Young"

Worth pointing out........
                    Tst

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      I actually had no probllem with them.. Just like with carter in grace, or mccay in grace under pressure.
                      I actually loved "Grace Under Pressure."

It's not really the characters themselves that bother me- just the fact that it's a concept that hasn't been explained yet. I'm perfectly content to wait for an explanation- I'm just not that enthused by the mystery of it. With episodes like "Grace Under Pressure," that wasn't even really important, whereas this scenario sets itself up for an eventual breakdown of information about "what's really going on." And I have no idea if that moment comes next week, or next year.

I guess I'd rather just move on.

Comment

Let me shift off Riley for a second and say this.

I need Eli to grow a set and quit the juvenile snivelling! I don't believe a person could experience (season one) and still be so lame emotionally. OMG, We're gonna die! Give me a break! I find it less believable given his IQ.

Good job besides that one thing. I'm enjoying the trip!

Comment

Originally posted by starbystar View Post
                          Hey all - I'm new to the Forum, so be gentle!

I've been lurking for a while, and I had a general question about Aftermath: all the crew knows that Young is the father of TJ's baby, right? I mean, I know Chole and Scott know for sure, but how about the others? Clearly that would affect how the rest of them are judging Young and his developing instability.
                          Since she did have the baby shower, i would say it is a good bet they do.

Yeah, but they had limited time; 7 hours before the ship jumped, and 1 hour travel time. That left 4-5 hours at most to find supplies on the planet, load them up, and come back.
                          He could have turned off autopilot which would have stopped that.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            He could have turned off autopilot which would have stopped that.
                            Rush mentioned in the episode that he did not have control of how long Destiny stayed in one place. He has not figured out how to disable the timer yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Krandor View Post
                              Rush mentioned in the episode that he did not have control of how long Destiny stayed in one place. He has not figured out how to disable the timer yet.
                              yes he can disable the timer by taking Destiny off of autopilot... he said that he turned the autopilot back on so the timer would come on when they jump out of FTL.. he doesn't know how to manually control the ship, but keep the timer on.. so he is keeping Destiny on autopilot.
                              sigpic

Comment

I thought this episode was a little slow and a little depressing, but I'm excited about things to come. Can't believe Riley died like that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X