This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SciFiRick View Post
    Very well written and a great read. I have a hard time disagreeing with you thoughts. Every point that you covered is plausible if not accurate and with great insights to how the writers may have intended this to be portrayed. If you have not done so in the past, you should consider writing a fan review/s. I have no doubt that with your insights that you can follow some of the guidelines that is being ask to be included in a review. Great Job!!
    A big sincere thank you and green! I tend not to add fan reviews here at GW as my reviews go over 1000 words (go figure, ha!). But in some form or another I've been reviewing stuff for a while

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
    I'm liking Varro more and more. During the big fight in the prisoner's hold, Simeon and another LA guy were beating up on a soldier. Someone pulls Simeon off, but it was only by going through the scene really slowly that I noticed it was Varro. Tried to get a cap, but it's too pixelly to make out clearly.
    I think there's a lot more to Varro so I'm glad he is staying
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Its no more narrow minded then those who say that Young is a military dictator. I fully admit I wasn't expressing everything. Rush is far more complex then that but its been shown more then once of his lack of trustful and how he has endangered or risk others for the preservation of what he thinks is important regarless of what happens to others. That doesn't mean he doesn't have empathy for lose of life just that he forsakes it for his plans
      Um, you do realize it was Young who ordered the shuttle mission? Rush couldn't have made them go if he wanted to. So basically, all your criticisms apply mostly to Young, not Rush.

As was pointed out, there were no real good options. Either way was risky: Risk people's lives and a shuttle, or risk starvation and another LA uprising (if they did bring back plenty of food, more likely they could have kept more LA on board and food tends to quiet a potential mutiny). As it was, they got the worst of both worlds, and you are deliberately and solely blaming Rush when Young is more at fault here.

Hell, if Rush was as bad as you say, then he should have thought, "Hmm, in order to rescue Scott and the others, I'd have to risk damage to the ship's engines, and it may compromise my secret. No, too big of a risk. We can afford to lose some people, so I won't stop the ship so we can attempt to dial back to the planet."

Rush's problem is his lack of sleep affecting his judgment, and his very justified beliefs that Young would endanger the ship and all it's people again. I don't fully agree with all of Rush's decisions, but I do understand why, and I attribute blame where it is due. I suppose it's fine if you want to illogically and irrationally apply all blame on Rush, and I really can't logically persuade someone whose mind is made up and closed; just simply pointing why your arguments don't hold water.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        I don't think Rush was hallucinating. I think his wife's and Franklin's personality is now literally in the chair and this is some after-effect(the only problem with the theory is that Franklin went to the chair after Rush).
        RUSH: Well, it's not magic! As I've been doing all along, I've been telling Destiny any way I can how short of resources we are.
        I think that Rush has been sitting in the chair more, trying to gain more information and, it seems, trying to influence Destiny's actions.
        Last edited by nx01a; 10 October 2010, 09:50 AM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

RIP Riley I thought the scene between him and Young was a very bitter sweet moment, also liked the fact that he counted the number of times he could have died. Young holding back the tears while looking at Riley was one of the many, many things that made that scene even more heart-breaking than Janet's death in ''Heroes, Part 2'' of SG1. Props to Robert C. Cooper for this one!

lol'd at Greer's line ''Hey science guys! This thing's shakin'!''

PS I seriously hope that TPTB do NOT fall on their usual path when it comes to dead characters, in my opinion Riley should stay dead. No taking him to the ''Faith'' planet, nothing. Otherwise it would ruin the scene, as of right now ''Aftermath'' is up on my list of favourte SGU episodes character wise.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            I think that Rush has been sitting in the chair more, trying to gain more information and, it seems, trying to influence Destiny's actions.
            You bring up a great point. Rush has been in the chair, in a virtual reality dream. Destiny, if it posseses any sort of latent AI, knows Rush well enough to know Gloria functions as his conscience (or at least she did; in the dream, Gloria said she couldn't be that for him, indicating he should stop that). If Franklin is somehow ascended or part of the ship, he would have access to that information about Rush.

I wonder if they'll ever make it clear what Rush is talking to.

Comment

You photoshopped it! When I go back to my DVR and look at it, that scene had the Syfy logo and a preview for Caprica over that part of the screen...

Comment

As I said last episode, the Senator, Franklin, and the baby needed a fourth for bridge. Guess that's Riley.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  There are several moments that bear weight in this episode but none of them can come close to Riley's death and, in Riley's death - Riley's life. A secondary character, he was perhaps supposed to be a buddy for Eli or maybe a spot of comedic relief but he went on to become much more than that.

Riley approached his life on Destiny with such a noble dignity that, even though he was a secondary character, the Destiny is less with him gone. His friendship and quiet competence was a solid rock to several other characters and can be seen through his interactions with others. In "Earth", it's Brody that is deeply affected when Riley is injured and in "Aftermath", each time that Eli asks about Riley, there is such a stricken look on his face that is just painful to see. Eli is slowly fitting in to the Destiny but there are still few people that he can truly call friends and Riley was just such a friend. Both Scott and Young are in tears over the loss of Riley and even Park, who has managed to retain her positive outlook in the face of overwhelming odds, looks stricken, not only at the loss of Riley but at hearing of what TJ thinks has happened to her child.
                  it was strange to see several of the characters show such a loss when he died, that it was as if they themselves lost a loved one... BUT maybe that is showing finally the crew is getting well nit.

If the previous episode had as much to do with beliefs as interventions, this episode has as much to do with mistakes as aftermaths. Where Young's mistakes tend to arise out of a desire to protect 'his children', Rush's desires have a far more selfish origin. There is a moment when he is standing at the rail on the bridge, arms spread out as though he is taking it all in that reminds me of his first moments on the Destiny, with him standing at the rail and looking over the rest of the survivors. This is something he has sought out, possibly long before he ever set foot on Destiny, and he doesn't want to share it with anyone. When I think of Rush in this state, one word comes to mind - "Mine!"
                  The only thing missing, is Rush standing there, twirling a mustache!

In short, unless Rush changes, not only is he going to be found out, but he may fail whatever test the Destiny is putting him to and he'll never gain what he wants, which is not only control of the physical ship but also of the deeper mission, something hinted to with Ginn's comments to Wray - gaining control of time and space.
                  When Ginn said that, about the time ans space, it reminded me of the episode Window of Opportunity. Rush is a scientist, that guy was a scientist. Both lost their wife. Both are bent on controling something they don't understand... I wonder if this is intentional or not..??

I don't think Rush was hallucinating. I think his wife's and Franklin's personality is now literally in the chair and this is some after-effect(the only problem with the theory is that Franklin went to the chair after Rush).
                  When he melded yes. BUT it was only after he used the chair and got technically lobotomized, that rush felt safe enough to sit in it.

I wonder if they'll ever make it clear what Rush is talking to.
                  One can hope!

Comment

Ok sorry I tried not to for this episode but had to

Park: Umm Dr Rush what are you doing here?
                    Rush: WHATS THIS WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME
                    Park: Yeah this blue screen error is annoying, i tried to unplug the control interface and replug it but it didn't work
                    (Rush kicks the Control Interface)
                    Rush: Amateur......, I'm going to go the Bridge, but of course you don't know that

Rush: Dodoodoo, oh dang should of taken a left back there, cool bridge though.
                    Gloria: I cheated on you
                    Rush: WHAT
                    Gloria: I'm just screwing with you, i'm here to waste your time.

Ginn: You have to realise, none of us can cook s-
                    Wray: I get it I get it, you didn't have a Jamie Oliver with you.
                    Greer: (stare)
                    Ginn: They took me from my house? Don't you care
                    Wray: I'm the IOA dog, that says enough.

Wray: I did do all this stuff on Icarus you know?
                    Young: Are you STILL living in 2009?
                    Wray: Dude what do we do with these Lucian people?
                    Young: WHAT? The Alliance are on this ship?
                    Wray: Have you been drinking?
                    Young: Of course I haven't
                    (greer walks in)
                    Greer: Hey sir that Lucian beer is all gon- oh......

Brody: We came out of FTL early
                    Riley: Nice job Captain Obvious, we did convieniently stop next to a planet.
                    Rush: I suggest we go down there, and by we I mean you guys.......

Riley: Ok I have set a course to the gate
                    Scott: Ok lets go

Franklin: You dumb
                    Rush: ?
                    Franklin: It's too much for you, you can't handle the truth
                    Rush: What?
                    Franklin: Oh and theres Atmospheric Super rotation on the planet too, nice job.

Rush: Hey guys.. you may encounter heavy turbulance
                    Riley: Thanks for telling us this now
                    (passes through dangerous part)
                    Scott: That was cake Rush, oh crap blue screen of death, lost power, trying to reboot, DAMMIT, Riley unplug it then replug it in!.

Destiny Shuttle: OH CRAP
                    Ground: Ow

Scott: Everyone ok?
                    Riley: Ow.......

Young: What's going on?
                    Scott: Rush screwed us over, kill him for us when you later discover that he knew about the Bridge and could of saved Riley.
                    Young: Yes will do.

(Dunning and Scott trying to lift panel)
                    Riley: ...ow
                    TJ: eww my hand is covered in blood.
                    Riley: no......thats my stash of Chilli Sauce......I can't go on without it.

Young: I'm angry
                    Marine: WE NEED HELP IN THE HOLDING AREA, our food apparently sucks

Simeon: I........dont......like.............your food
                    Young: DIE RANDOM REDSHIRT!!!!!!!!!!
                    Wray: OI thats one of ours!
                    Young: oh right, i want one of these guys..........DIE!!!!!!!!!

Scott: Hey I got an idea lets blow up the gate
                    Greer: IN

Young: Sup guys welcome back
                    Scott: Riley won't leave his Chilli behind.........

Young: Sup
                    Riley: sup, sorry, i just......Chilli Sauce is my life.
                    Young: Did I ever tell you that I used to be like you, a nice young man, no values admittadly, I still don't have any, of course I was still a virgin, but you still remind me of me.......now my wife, god she's a real....yer know, I always regre-
                    Riley: If I steal your gun will you shut up!
                    Young: Shut up i'm telling the story here, yes I always regretted marrying my half sister, it was a b-
                    BANG
                    Young: Well hey I know a good story when I see one.

-----------------------------
                    End

Would of expanded more, but Riley was cool character, and I don't wanna lame it up more, terribry sowwy
                    Tst

Comment

Well, the raitings were dissapointing and I doubt that unless they'll put in a ****-load into marketing they'll be any different. The current time-slot sucks since its in mid-week and people need to go to work the next day and there aren't many people who are willing to sacrifice sleep time in favour of a TV-Show also, there aren't that many subscribers to SyFy (compared to other major networks), so putting it in such a crappy time-slot kills all chances of high raitings, such as the ones we've seen in the 1st season.

Comment

Originally posted by deathil93 View Post
                        The current time-slot sucks since its in mid-week and people need to go to work the next day and there aren't many people who are willing to sacrifice sleep time in favour of a TV-Show
                        What time is it shown in the US, then? It's from 9pm to 10pm in the UK.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          it was strange to see several of the characters show such a loss when he died, that it was as if they themselves lost a loved one... BUT maybe that is showing finally the crew is getting well nit.

The only thing missing, is Rush standing there, twirling a mustache!

When Ginn said that, about the time ans space, it reminded me of the episode Window of Opportunity. Rush is a scientist, that guy was a scientist. Both lost their wife. Both are bent on controling something they don't understand... I wonder if this is intentional or not..??
                          In a way, Riley is a death that they can all get behind - he was one of theirs and it doesn't matter what 'they' you are on, civilian or military. In this way, he's unlike Spencer - who was unliked by both - or Franklin - who isn't really gone because no one is sure what happened to him. Even earlier deaths - Gorman, the Air scientists, and Rivers, have all only affected a small circle and usually only one "side". Riley transcended that.

Moustache twirling! Love it

I think it's definitely intentional, as are many of the deconstructions we see in the other characters
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                            What time is it shown in the US, then? It's from 9pm to 10pm in the UK.
                            9pm on the East coast and 8pm Central (my time zone).
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                              9pm on the East coast and 8pm Central (my time zone).
                              Going back to to the post I was replying to.

Originally posted by deathil93 View Post
                              The current time-slot sucks since its in mid-week and people need to go to work the next day and there aren't many people who are willing to sacrifice sleep time in favour of a TV-Show
                              How many people in th US go to bed at 8pm or 9pm even if they do have to go to work in the morning? Also, if it's to do with sacrificing sleep why were more people prepared to sacrifice it for episode one than episode two?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                                Going back to to the post I was replying to.

How many people in th US go to bed at 8pm or 9pm even if they do have to get up in the morning? Also, if it's to do with sacrificing sleep why were more people prepared to sacrifice it for episode one than episode two?
                                Imo, it's not because they are sleepy. It's because they are watching something else is the reason SGU is getting low numbers. People just don't like the show enough. It got better numbers on Friday night when people supposedly didn't watch tv because they were going out. Now it's on a night that people watch tv, and it's not getting watched.

I like SGU. Though I hardly watch anything else on tv with regularity. SGU, Caprica, Smallville and Supernatural are my only must see shows on tv right now.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X