This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by retiredat44 View Post
    it just appears to me the crew makes more problems by doing stupid things,, the moron with the gun shoots the bugs... he got what he deserved..
    Heh, I was muttering "red shirt! red shirt!" as soon as I saw him in the hallway. The setup was so blasted obvious.

Comment

scott said 'you've tried to kill yourself 3 times in as many weeks' or a line to that effect, so i'm thinking that Water is 3 weeks after Air
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes! That was the other thing that irriated me, the soldier who decided to shoot the midges. Because that always works with swarms of things. Eejit.

And the "do you know where you can go?" line from Chloe to Rush. Come on, lass, you're 23, not 13. Sheesh.

(23? Where did I get that from? ...guess I read it somewhere on here...)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          scott said 'you've tried to kill yourself 3 times in as many weeks' or a line to that effect, so i'm thinking that Water is 3 weeks after Air
          Which confirms my suspicions there has a lot of time past by now, and thus Young would need the crutch anymore, and he would have healed enough to go off-world. So I don't understand why some are making such a big deal of Young having been injured. See post ^
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

well, he might be healed, but honestly? given the magnitude of his injuries, i personally doubt that he was off world fit 3 weeks later. Not to mention my issues with both CO and 2IC going off world at the same time, especially with Rush's issues with following orders and power.

I personally see Young's decision as a plot device to get the 'second string' in charge.

Young needs to be like Picard...he keeps his butt on that ship for the good of the crew

sigpic

Comment

well, he might be healed, but honestly? given the magnitude of his injuries, i personally doubt that he was off world fit 3 weeks later. Not to mention my issues with both CO and 2IC going off world at the same time, especially with Rush's issues with following orders and power.

I personally see Young's decision as a plot device to get the 'second string' in charge.

Young needs to be like Picard...he keeps his butt on that ship for the good of the crew
              Well he did still seem to have some problems and sometimes I thought he was in paining. I found the grunting and moaning of Young to be very human, like someone who has just suffered a serious injury. He might have to deal with the repercussions later, e.g. sore muscles, pain etc.

Also, I see a lot of reasons why Young went off-world. For one, he seemed to have a lot of experience with it, as he kept joking around about that. Also, I think Young needed a break and needed to go off-world. Also, it was a dangerous mission and he would putting the persons their lives at risk of those who went through the gate. The suites could not protect them fully for example and they could have died instantly. I don't really had an issue with Young going off-world. He seemed the logical choice. Also at the time, the issue of the aliens on board wasn't an issue, so he was much more needed on the planet than on the ship.

Why Scott needed to join them is not so much obvious, while there are "pro's" there are also "con's" and indeed the biggest contra-indication is Scott being one of the other four officers. However, I think you're making a too big of a deal out of this. T.J. is equal in rank as Scott. They are both first lieutenants, and I don't think it is so clear that Scott actually is 2IC. He shares that with T.J. which like we all saw is competent enough to get the job done, and Young knows this, imho.

About Rush. I can understand that Young doesn't trust Rush, but he was a bit too paranoid in this episode. While Rush clearly didn't help his case with what happened at the ending of Light, Rush did not get in T.J.'s way and actually helped her, albeit a bit in a strange way. Rush was different this episode. He is still busying himself with the "greater good" which made me think of Harry Potter and with himself. However, he was also different towards T.J. as in letting her standing on her own legs, helping her and following her lead.

Even Greer, which T.J. is close to, followed her lead and orders, albeit not strictly, but Young trusts Greer to keep an eye out for everyone and also T.J.

No T.J.'s real problems were 1. the lack of experience, which Scott also has, and which Young is trying to improve, learn Scott that, by taking him with him. 2. The aliens, which she handled pretty well. 3. Spencer, which she handled okay too. Supported by Greer. 4. Protecting/caring for the people on board. Her priorities were there, and Young knows how her priorities and methods are different. It fitted more in this episode. Scott would not have dealt with things in this way, would he? I suspect Young knew this. Also, Young probably knows about Chloe-Scott so taking Scott with him made sure that he was focused on the job, while leaving him behind in charge might not have left Scott focusing on the job.

Like PG15 said Young and Scott have some similarities on that aspect. At least if we can believe the spoilers about Young. Young is trying to teach Scott something and Scott is learning. They are both flawed.

You see, while it might have been partly a plot device, maybe, it still had solid reasons as well. Reasons I think, if you consider them, make Young into the fine commanding officer he is. Very human. Not perfect.

And now continuing on reading this thread. I'm at page 14. While writing my review for this episode. I'm actually stuck with the whole Young/Scott and T.J. leftover ordeal, so I'm thinking it through again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                Which confirms my suspicions there has a lot of time past by now, and thus Young would need the crutch anymore, and he would have healed enough to go off-world. So I don't understand why some are making such a big deal of Young having been injured. See post ^
                People are probably making a deal out of Young being injured as TV, and STargate, tend to make light of most injuries. Knocked out for 7 minutes? No problem. No nauseau, TBi, memory loss, nada. But then, hopefully people don't watch TV shows for medical advice... that's what Google is for!

Meanwhile, when Scott fell down the well, er, crevasse, I was going "Lassie! Get help!" I know, bad. But... why didn't Young just tie the rope to the floating pallet which can lug HUNDREDS of pounds and pull Scott out (before of course he got squeezed in).

And, well, as to the killer fireflies critters, why didn't they just stick a glass of water in an airlock, let 'em all go in, and then jettison them out the airlock?

And how many people yelled "Redshirt!" when Gorham foolishly shot bullets at them? I mean, geez, would this man also shoot recklessly at mosquitos? Oh well, one down, more to go...

Comment

"'Water' shows [Matthew Scott] at his best. 'Pain' shows him at his worst."
                  ("Matthew Scott" actor Brian J. Smith, in a fan Q&A at Joseph Mallozzi's blog)
                  If this episode was Matthew Scott as his best then, well, ok, I don't know quite what to say. Seriuosly that was his best?
                  For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    People are probably making a deal out of Young being injured as TV, and STargate, tend to make light of most injuries. Knocked out for 7 minutes? No problem. No nauseau, TBi, memory loss, nada. But then, hopefully people don't watch TV shows for medical advice... that's what Google is for!
                    I'm a medical student and so far I've seen nothing that is really completely unbelievable. There are always the little things, but nothing really serious. I fully believe that if indeed a couple of weeks, like three, have passed that this would not be a problem. As for the other series. Well, SGA had some serious errors, but until now, SGU is doing quite good on that point.

Meanwhile, when Scott fell down the well, er, crevasse, I was going "Lassie! Get help!" I know, bad. But... why didn't Young just tie the rope to the floating pallet which can lug HUNDREDS of pounds and pull Scott out (before of course he got squeezed in).
                    Well actually I already answered that question for you, but did you even read it? http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=415

Well, yeah, but the floating kino collection can only carry things not haul them. Young still would have need to push it.
                    That's why.

And, well, as to the killer fireflies critters, why didn't they just stick a glass of water in an airlock, let 'em all go in, and then jettison them out the airlock?
                    Did you even read the comments here? Or watch the episode?
                    Rush said there is no available/accessible airlock, just like a lot of people mentioned here. I never want to hear the comment "put them in an airlock" again. Not going to happen. There isn't one. Man, I was happy to hear that.

And how many people yelled "Redshirt!" when Gorham foolishly shot bullets at them? I mean, geez, would this man also shoot recklessly at mosquitos? Oh well, one down, more to go...
                    I'm going to answer this one with part of the review I'm still writing:
                    * Stupidity of shooting the swarm: But then I was reminded of the stupidity of some real people. (Read J.M.’s blog.) At least he got what he deserved for shooting at the aliens. In the end I thought it was probably a realistic view, there would always be someone stupid, aggressive and arrogant enough to shoot a swarm of peaceful aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by ReFRidgerator View Post
                      If this episode was Matthew Scott as his best then, well, ok, I don't know quite what to say. Seriuosly that was his best?
                      I think it has to do with characterization. In that he was noble and didn't go nuts because of his situation. He was calm and accpeted that his fate might be death
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

i'm starting to see chloe/scott as a bit annoying, its just her infatuation shes like a teenager who mistakenly thinks shes fallen in love for the first time, think i would have prefered a storyline where theyre just friends and last weeks sex has made things awkward,

and eli having a thing for her is a bit cliche i mean the less attractive guy falling for the hot girl who talks to him thats another very teenage thing, i dont think tptb know how to write characters in their early twenties so they just treat them like teenagers

Comment

Good catch.

"3 times in almost as many weeks" This would explain Young "rapid" healing.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

You'all wanna know why Young really went offworld?

'Cause he's the man.

That, and he's a little squished in the brainpan to be suiting up three-odd weeks after being injured. But still - the man!
                            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

teh line from the transcript

SCOTT: Not that I'm counting, but this *is* the third time in almost as many
                              weeks that you've been willing to kill yourself and there's ... there's a pretty
                              good chance at this point I won't be around to talk you out of it again.

sigpic

Comment

I don't see a problem with Young going on a mission. Maybe he's an hands-on person. Especially since this mission was of premiere importance for their survival. But I understand the idea of keeping the colonel on the ship managing its troops instead of taking unnecessary risk. It must be a bit more realistic as far as the army goes, I would suppose. Lets say this mission needed direct supervision from him.
                                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                                X