This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
    I've only heard "Tamara" used once, by Young himself. And she did call herself that in her Kinovid.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but I did not want to put it like that b/c I wasn't sure.
    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Hmmm...

1. Paranoid civvies are stupid.

2. Was certainly surprised to see Young offworld.

3. Still not sure what the hell to make of Rush.

4. Guy shooting at bugs has me shouting at the TV screen. Was good to see them back though, even if I don't think they're bad guys.

5. Chloe I think will be of use once they actually find some sentient life in this corner of the universe.

6. Eli actually had a point, there's no point denying to Young that there's a problem on the Destiny. Worst case scenario - the bugs could have incapacitated anyone and everyone.

Solid ep overall.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Indeed I make a typo, it should be
        "It miss a lot of the...."

But if there are not a placet where to put this post, fell free to delete it.
        No problem.
        Stargate fan - city of Curitiba-Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
          Well, there isn't much relation to the other shows. They take place in the same universe and are part of the same franchise, but Universe is it's own story.

You really want more Goa'uld and Ori? I mean, I would have loved for SG-1 to keep on keeping on, but they wrapped those story lines up. Your expectations are unrealistic.

Then go watch SG-1 again.
          The "franchise" is a thing OUT of the story.
          Stargate fan - city of Curitiba-Brazil

Comment

The episode had some interesting moments but it was not great. The alien was not interesting, there was no meaningful interaction between it(them) and the crew, so we don't learn anything about it(them). So, it was just this random entity with no back story or story at all. The interactions between Eli and Rush were difficult to get through, just annoying for the most part.
            At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Okay ep but not the best so far by a long shot. They made the same mistake as Trek did all too often, in Trek it was mostly the bridge crew that got to go on missions, except for the red shirts. Here it was the two guys on board who could fly the shuttle, according to Light. *sigh*
              sigpic

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good episode, I enjoyed it.

Chloe and Scott (Schloe? or is it Chlott? lol) are pretty blah at this point. I guess that we're supposed to feel for Chloe, when Lt. James tells her that Scott's life may be in danger; but I felt nothing for her, or their instant love. I don't quite buy their relationship at this point in the series, so that whole thing fell flat for me.

Some of the Young/Rush conflict also feels a bit forced or OTT to me in this episode(particularly their argument at the start of the ep).

I love Rush though. I really find him to be the most interesting character. I feel that he truly believes that his actions are for (what he perceives to be) "the greater good". He just doesn't care how his actions may affect others; and that is his main flaw(flaws are a good thing here, they make him interesting to me) .

I enjoyed the parts of the episode on the ship with the sand planet alien(s?). I loved TJ, and that she was in charge. I liked how she handled herself. I really liked Greer. The parts of the episode on the ice planet were pretty good too. Overall, I enjoyed the episode a lot. I liked it better this time around, than when I first watched it.
                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 07 November 2012, 06:50 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Did they ever give a name to the guy who got all cut up by the 'dust mites'?

Comment

I think it was probably the worst episode of SGU so far.

Can't think of anything else.

Tomorrow, more backstories of the crew.
                    sigpic

Comment

This was an admirable attempt, showcase the type of grittiness and survival that this show will be known for; as such when the crew goes out to get Water. Them mining from the ice was borning but it was representative of the view of life that was unique to the show, and then Scott gets trapped in the ice...

The ticking clock was there but I could care for Scott trapped under that ice; there was something about him that suggested he had nothing to offer character-wise even though he was trying his best to handle the situation while still being worried. This is more of a show for Young though as he tries his best not to leave him behind, with the hopes that they can still make it back and in that regard he does well but the problem with this situation is that there's no real stakes, I didn't feel as if there was a chance they couldn't make it, as if they'll make it out alive and sure enough they do. Maybe if the situation was a bit more impossible, a bit more dangerous than it'd probably work but as it is it's an empty one.

Additionally, it just felt like they were trying to put on a dramatic plot, it didn't seem natural as much as it seemed formulated; like they had to have it happen in order to give the characters something. I'm all for growth as much as the next guy but not when it involves putting our characters in danger everytime.

This also brings up another problem with the show initially. This is supposed to be a different, more realistic show but this show is afraid to kill off it's main characters. Compare that to Lost where no character was safe, not even the main ones; a bit of loss would of enhanced SGU greatly but apparently SGU's characters are all so important that they just have to bring them back despite the insistence that they're never coming back; which would be a problem throughout the season. If you're going to be serious, go the extra mile.

There's also a sideplot where the crew hunts the sand alien from a previous episode but it barely did much in terms of character as they went through the same situations barely bothering to explore the unknown. I will admit that Greer rigging up a flamethrower is cool but not much of this was compelling. We did get to see a nice shot of what those sand aliens really looked like.
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

Decent ep.

Eli's Kino sled. Very cool. Latest attempt at flying. I can imagine lol.

The sentient sand returns. Just not so helpful this time. That looked extremely nasty when they attacked the soldier.

I don't see how they got anywhere near enough ice to make it worth while.
                        sigpic

Comment

I loved that Rush loved that Kino sled, instead of making some cranky remark about it like you'd expect.

I never did get why the civilians on Destiny were so down on the military. If I was trapped on a ship and there were people willing to put their lives on the line to fetch me water and fight off aliens, I'd be nothing but grateful.

I agree that it didn't seem like all that much water, although I suppose any water is better than nothing. And the toxic planet was pretty.
                          sigpic

Comment

There will always be those who do not like it when the mil barks orders at civilians...

Comment

Well, the occupants of Destiny don't really get a break do they?!

They've avoided slow suffocation, burning up in a star and now, running out of what little water they had to start with. What sort of cosmic joke is this, they must be thinking?! I know I would!

It's like they were getting the 'big' problems out of the way first! I think this episode came too quickly after their initial problems, a bit of being lulled into a forced sense of security would have added a bit more drama, but that's just me!

The thing that baffled me about this episode initially is why Young insisted he had to go. He was still recovering from a serious injury, given the time that had passed on the show it was clearly not that much after their arrival. It was good that Scott showed concern, suggesting another person qualified in EVA's went. He does all the heavy lifting, made all the more bizarre by the fact Scott was the one cutting the ice while Young was lifting it onto the sled!

On thinking about it, it sort of makes sense. Anyone in that situation wants to be back doing what they can after being incapacitated by injury or illness, it's human nature, the frustration that being like that brings. He was showing everyone he wasn't one to be dwelling on things, a get on without complaints guy! It was still a bit weird to see how much he was doing and even pulling the dead weight Scott was out of that crevasse. If he had cracked ribs and bruises it takes ages to heal and then putting such demands on the very areas he injured, especially his right leg was a bit far fetched given the short time that has supposedly passed since his injury!

Liked that there was continuity from 'Air' with the reappearance of the 'sand' aliens. Still reminds me of the idea in the movie 'Abyss' of the aliens forming faces from water to communicate with people.

Greer gets more interesting every episode. Quite inventive with the home made flame thrower. Whilst he seems to be a loose cannon he has shown loyalty to Young and will not overstep his mark. I like this aspect of his character, he will look out for people, even those that don't deserve it by being tough and up front with them. It may seem he doesn't give a sh*t about certain things but deep down he does.

It is all still character building, slowly but surely, it's what made this early part of SGU pretty boring to watch at times, especially for those that don't want to be watching this continuously. It was a deliberate set up to put people in tough situations I know, but after a while I got used to it and saw events from their point of view, how they dealt with them rather than being victims of predictable situations, with expected methods of dealing with them. I was glad I stuck with SGU through this time as it really does give some great payoffs further down the line.

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU:

1. The small things I forget...including the Kino sled...

2. Crazy how YOung and Scot got out of there.

3. Think it was Corporal Grodin...

4. Dumb civvies.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X