This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
    I think this show has more to prove to me than simply one good episode.

if 75% of the seaosn is like what we've gotten so far, then i really can't call it Stargate. I LIKED Time, but 5 episodes out of 20 isn't enough to inspire me to support the show in any serious way. i'm HOPING i'm wrong, but i'd rather go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than go in with high expectations and feel let down.
    You mean 5 episodes out of 8 so far. I'd call that a pretty good ratio.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Unless I've missed something, what were the human remains that Rush discovered in one of the timelines? Was supposed to be the crew's remains, devoured by the creatures?
      Yeah, they said it was the crew. And I don't know if the creatures actually ate the crew or just attacked and killed them.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

You mean 5 episodes out of 8 so far. I'd call that a pretty good ratio.
        No, i clearly said 5 out of 20, it's an estimate of the number of episodes i'll like given teh ratio i've seen so far. 2 out of 8. Light and Time are the only episodes i've liked so far. Everything else was a total snore or eyeroll fest to me.

I'm giving SGU a fair chance to be something i look forward to, but seeing what they've got lined up i'm not impressed much.
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Seriously,

That was an awesome Episode and it certainly didn't pull any punches. As much as I haven't liked the character Chloe, they used her well in this episode.

The "hung a lantern" off of the fact she's been useless in other episodes when she said everyone needs to do their part. Basically what that means is the fact she is the one saying everyone needs to be useful, it serves to draw attention away from the fact the she isn't really useful yet. On a side note, all those people who really don't like her got to see her die TWICE! So they should be satisfied for a while. hehe. While again, she didn't really do anything useful, at least they used her uselessness well. Still hoping one day she actually does something rather then just be story fodder for Eli and Scott.

Eli in this episode ... wow. he had a really good roll. I instantly thought of 'Doom' the video game when he was looking around in Kino vision with the rifle out. He had some great character interaction moments as well which were really interesting. Though, I did feel like alot of others who have posted that the scene between him and Chloe was kind of blahh. Though it gave alot of insight on TJ with her reactions to Eli's goodbye which salvaged the scene for me.

Chloe ... well I think the writers did a good job of distracting from the problems alot of us have with her character, but if you want the character to grow probably shouldn't have her dead or unconcious for most of the episode. She needs to be actively doing something to build on her character more in my opinion.

Scott. Alright ... well played sir. His reaction to everyone being dead was, ... creepy but in a good way. Then him being the one to figure out the alternate reality thing and send the Kino back a second time. Very nice move. He got some points in my book for this one.

Greer. Seriously. Better every episode. I really didn't think I would like him from his character Bio, but that totally was wrong. He's one of the most interesting and surprising characters on the show. He is like, the true American soldier. Flawed, but brave and always standing up to do his job. Good episode for him.

Finally, Rush. I am excluding Young here because the episode didn't focus on him so much as the others. We really got a good feel for what Rush is like and him being willing to risk his life for others. Granted some may say it was because he wanted to live, but he could have suggested someone else go through or sent the Kino through first. Instead, he did the deed himself and risked his life. Ultimately dying in the process. Its too bad they wont get to see the video from the first Kino, because there were alot of good building moments that would have helped if they had seen them.

As for time travel, I have to admit alot of people said its too soon and as much as I like other dimensions and time travel I was agreeing. This storyline worked though. It wasn't timetravel so much as alternate versions of the same story. They did time travel, but you didn't see them in the past you just saw two different cases of what 'could be'. I guess that doesn't make it less about 'Time Travel' but it does make it a little more acceptable to me.

Anyway, I have to give this one a 10/10. It had some much needed action, peril, and great character moments that reminded me alot of the first two Stargate shows. Actually, this one reminds me of SG1 Season 1, Episode one where everyone is fighting against Hathor and you have a bunch of full SG Teams trying to save the team. I know they aren't really similar much, it just made me think of that because of the size of the cast involved in this, the mix of action and character building, and the awesomeness that was this episode.

Thanks for reading anyone that made it all the way through this. I expect some "Too Long Didn't Reads!" on this one. hehe

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy View Post
            Mistake in 'Time' (done for cheap drama). Right at the end, Rush checks in with the planet team. And totally disregarding his advice from just a couple of episodes ago, he tells the team in the field about the deaths, especially Cholie. So why does he do it. He sure gave a big speech about not telling people in the field, who are gathering vital things, bad news that might upset them and in turn kill everyone. So why did he do it....the shows was almost over?
            Honestly, I think they were different situations. He was telling them to hurry because they were losing people. Maybe giving exact names wasn't good, but he seemed genuinely upset by what was happening. Well, in that Rush sort of way upset. hehe. Seriously though, I think they were different situations.

- CB
            Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
            Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

I think it was pretty obvious that the skull was Rush's. In the flash of a second when the people watching the Kino see it thrown through the Stargate and go back in time, you see Rush lying face down in front of the Stargate (in the past). They never go back to watch the rest of the footage, but it must have been Rush who jumped through the Stargate earlier on.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                No, i clearly said 5 out of 20, it's an estimate of the number of episodes i'll like given teh ratio i've seen so far. 2 out of 8. Light and Time are the only episodes i've liked so far. Everything else was a total snore or eyeroll fest to me.
                Now you're being clear. Your previous post was not
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                  it is way too convenient that the animal cures the disease that they have. one in a million. well at-least i think this, tell me your opinion.
                  Yeah, you're right. Everyone should just get killed off. Much more believable.

Comment

Ummm I am confused. Why is it that for next week they show previews of something totally different rather than continuing the storyline? They're not going to pull off a 2001/2010 on us are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
                      Not sure if this was asked of me, but since I seem to be in the minority here in not liking this episode, I'll just assume it was.

First, I have a huge bias against time travel/time line episodes in any sci-fi series. I stopped watching Enterprise as soon as it became clear that screwing with the time line was going to be a major part of it. I almost skipped the episode entirely because I knew it was a time episode, and was just going to glance through this thread to pick up whatever character development we got. But, I decided to watch it because I'm already pretty invested in SGU after the first seven episodes (have watched every one twice, but this one I doubt I will). And I again realized that I just hate time episodes--and if they do one again I will skip it, since apparently any character development from this episode never really happened as far as the characters are concerned (though we know it).

Second, and maybe I'm just grouchy tonight, but I hated the Eli scene at the end. Plus, how many times on TV do we have to see the "oh my god, why don't people ever say I love you until it's too late boo hoo" tripe? On pretty much every series I've ever watched, including most of the crime serials like CSI. It's been done before. Many, many times before. And better.

Third, though I generally am OK with Eli, my least favorite part of the show is the Eli-narrates-through-Kino part, which is minimal in most episodes. But I got a super-size helping tonight.

This is long already, so I'll stop for now. Maybe more later.
                      I agree. The only time travel episodes that I don't get disgusted by are the closed loop time travel episodes like the time travel episode in 1969. We're still left with the same characters in the end and the characters don't offer the new time line characters a get out of jail free card.

BSG fans were pissed at the finale of BSG for using God as a solution the BSG crew's problems. Other more neutral places were Stargate discussion, such as Metafilter and Slashdot, have left the viewers in agreement that the use of ascended beings and time travel was ruining the show. Time travel allows the writers to cheat death easily and it's something they never limit fully in it's abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
                        Ummm I am confused. Why is it that for next week they show previews of something totally different rather than continuing the storyline? They're not going to pull off a 2001/2010 on us are they?
                        I'm reasonably confident that we're to assume the situation was resolved in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          i think it's safe to say that the episode never happened

ye olde reset switch and nothing you saw on the tape happened.

they went to the planet during the day, got the critters and inoculated everyone

we'll likely find out for sure next week as some throwaway line
                          Wait! Are you saying this episode will just vanish off of my Tivo??
                          The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Now you're being clear. Your previous post was not
                            Then i suggest a grammar book

in any case, Time was definitely interesting, but i can't help but think "Shock Drama" when watching it. It's also a bit of a crock to kill them all (multiple times) and just hit the reset switch. The ending was weird, but the rest was better than what we've gotten so far.

I'm with Sky on that we'll get a throwaway line in teh next episode.
                            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
                              Other more neutral places were Stargate discussion, such as Metafilter and Slashdot, have left the viewers in agreement that the use of ascended beings and time travel was ruining the show. Time travel allows the writers to cheat death easily and it's something they never limit fully in it's abilities.
                              I agree they should kill Chloe but i'm pretty happy they cheat the deaths and didn't kill the whole crew at the eighth episode you know..

Comment

I'm reasonably confident that we're to assume the situation was resolved in the end.
                                scott fixed everything
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X