Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it really necessary to show James at the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    It's still sexist in my opinion. It's always a woman crying over something like getting dumped. Even the "physically badass" ones. Never a man. Not even a "wimp geek" (don't get me wrong, I love him) like Eli.
    Lt. Scott was bawling in Air Part 3...over a woman he got pregnant. Dr. Rush was crying in Air Part 1 over his dead wife.

Never a man?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
      Maybe this whole experience, with Scott and sexy widower will turn her off men for good. Ya hear that, Wray? Make your move, fast!

Reddevil, your posts never cease to make me laugh. That made my day.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

It's still sexist in my opinion.
        Everything is sexist in your opinion.

It's always a woman crying over something like getting dumped. Even the "physically badass" ones. Never a man. Not even a "wimp geek" (don't get me wrong, I love him) like Eli.
        But Eli was never really dumped, was he?

Comment

Because it's unnecessary?
          Eh, to each their own.

Also, not everybody cries onscreen on Stargate. And it's funny that it's a woman crying over something as relatively trivial as the guy she used to have casual sex with now ignoring her.
          Who says it's trivial? We know nothing of the extent of her feelings for Scott.

Not even Spencer cried when he was so depressed he killed himself, yet James cries because Scott is ignoring her? Say what now?
          Again, it's not that he's ignoring her. Go read JM's actual answer regarding the matter. Apparently he treats her like crap in said scene. Of course, we'll never know...at least not until DVD releases with deleted scenes.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
            She's probably known about it, but she's finally come to terms that it is officially over. Maybe she hoped it was only a one-time or short lived thing. But how is it sexist? You telling me this crap doesn't happen in life? Please. Both guys and girls cry about the other months after losing them. It's a part of reality and this show is attempting to portray that. I honestly don't see any sexism.
            I'm not questioning the fact that someone is crying. I'm questioning the fact that it's a woman crying over something a man would never be shown crying over onscreen on a show like Stargate. Eli was just sad. James broke down in tears. One is a woman, the other a man.

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
            Lt. Scott was bawling in Air Part 3...over a woman he got pregnant. Dr. Rush was crying in Air Part 1 over his dead wife.

Never a man?
            I specifically said "over something like getting dumped".

Crying because you're sixteen (not a man, but a boy) and effectively just ruined your life and someone else's is understandable. Crying because you miss your soulmate who died is understandable.

Crying because you used to have casual sex with a guy, then found out he'd moved on and now a week or more later he's pretty much ignoring you (and you've known he's got someone else for a while now)? Not something you usally break down in tears over!

Comment

The Original poster seems to be on a spree of whining.
              Tst

Comment

Not even Spencer cried when he was so depressed he killed himself, yet James cries because Scott is ignoring her? Say what now?
                Uh...what?!

You're seriously saying that crying is worse than suicide?

Comment

Okay, I'm gonna say it...It was just her time of the month and her emotions got the best of her.

Comment

I specifically said "over something like getting dumped".
                    Oh my bad, you get to set the goal posts. Wont make that mistake again.

Crying because you're sixteen (not a man, but a boy) and effectively just ruined your life and someone else's is understandable. Crying because you miss your soulmate who died is understandable.
                    Whose life was ruined? She said she wasn't keeping it, so for all Scott knew there was no responsibility for the child on either of their parts.

Crying because you used to have casual sex with a guy, then found out he'd moved on and now a week or more later he's pretty much ignoring you (and you've known he's got someone else for a while now)? Not something you usally break down in tears over!
                    I love the bolding. I definitely can't understand your point without them, thanks. Again, you're attacking a strawman that nobody ever made. Go read JM's Q&A regarding this.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

Who says it's trivial? We know nothing of the extent of her feelings for Scott.
                      She hasn't shown any indication of loving Scott deeply. She hooked up with him in a closet. Afterwards he acted like they were only casual acquaintances and then throughout the rest of the show they barely interact. Scott has been openly dating Chloe for weeks. James and he were clearly something casual only and it was only ever about sex.

When she walked in on them, she didn't really react like someone who'd just been heartbroken because the love of her life is with someone else. And in the episode "Space", she is seen making remarks about how attractive the Cutist is, in other words, she's possibly moving on, so apparently it wasn't that big a deal!

Again, it's not that he's ignoring her. Go read JM's actual answer regarding the matter. Apparently he treats her like crap in said scene. Of course, we'll never know...at least not until DVD releases with deleted scenes.
                      So? Because Scott "treats her like crap", it's normal for her to break down in tears? I thought soldiers were taught to not break down under torture. But if your ex-hookup treats you like crap you break down in tears?

Also, do you honestly believe they'd ever shown a man break down in tears because their ex-hookup treated them like crap on Stargate? Me neither.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Uh...what?!

You're seriously saying that crying is worse than suicide?
                      No...

It was argued that she was crying because she was really sad or only or whatever and that it's normal for people to cry. So it's normal to cry because Scott treated her like crap, but someone so depressed they'd take their own life doesn't cry right before shooting himself?

Oh my bad, you get to set the goal posts. Wont make that mistake again.
                      I wrote something. You distorted it in order to strawman my point.

Whose life was ruined? She said she wasn't keeping it, so for all Scott knew there was no responsibility for the child on either of their parts.
                      Did you just randomly forget the rest of that episode? He'd just disappointed his priest/adoptive father, made the girl disappoint her parents, done something that would lead to him no longer being able to (be it out of guilt or out of pressure from others) pursue the path of priest and it's still a huge thing even if she is getting rid of it.

I love the bolding. I definitely can't understand your point without them, thanks. Again, you're attacking a strawman that nobody ever made. Go read JM's Q&A regarding this.
                      I didn't have all the info until then. And I didn't feel like sifting through JM's TL;DR blogposts to find it. Now I do. It's still a ridiculous reason to break down in tears like that over.

Funny, accusing me of strawmanning when you just strawmanned me and then commented on how "I create goal posts".

Comment

She hasn't shown any indication of loving Scott deeply. She hooked up with him in a closet. Afterwards he acted like they were only casual acquaintances and then throughout the rest of the show they barely interact. Scott has been openly dating Chloe for weeks. James and he were clearly something casual only and it was only ever about sex.
                        See below.

When she walked in on them, she didn't really react like someone who'd just been heartbroken because the love of her life is with someone else. And in the episode "Space", she is seen making remarks about how attractive the Cutist is, in other words, she's possibly moving on, so apparently it wasn't that big a deal!
                        You said it yourself, she's a tough woman. Would you expect her to break down in front of Chloe and Scott after catching them together? I wouldn't...but in the privacy of her own room? Sure.

And yes, maybe she is trying to move on. Understandable, given her situation. It doesn't mean these sorts of things still wont affect her.

So? Because Scott "treats her like crap", it's normal for her to break down in tears? I thought soldiers were taught to not break down under torture. But if your ex-hookup treats you like crap you break down in tears?
                        No, but you're trivializing it as if that's the only problem she has in her life. Maybe it was a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of thing? As I've said, she's been through a lot.

Also, do you honestly believe they'd ever shown a man break down in tears because their ex-hookup treated them like crap on Stargate? Me neither.
                        No, but I don't agree that this is somehow the only thing she has to cry about. I do think they'd show a man crying in an identical situation to hers, though.

Did you just randomly forget the rest of that episode? He'd just disappointed his priest/adoptive father
                        Ah, indeed. You're most certainly right about this, and I'm not joking. Good point, that definitely did play into the emotions he was feeling.

I didn't have all the info until then. And I didn't feel like sifting through JM's TL;DR blogposts to find it. Now I do. It's still a ridiculous reason to break down in tears like that over.
                        I guess we disagree in that you seem to think she's only crying over this, whereas I think this was an instance of compounding stresses/sadnesses that made her cry. I think it says something, though, that she did it alone in her room rather than in front of other people.

[EDIT]: Wanted to add, FAII, that I was mistaken in one aspect of our conversation. I was at work when I was last typing, and was mildly distracted by residents so I didn't notice that I did, indeed, strawman you. It was unintentional, I assure you, but it was a strawman nevertheless. And while I still think you're strawmanning (or at least trivializing) the reason for James' crying, I just wanted to apologize for that. I didn't mean to distort the specifics of what you said.
                        Last edited by Coronach; 04 April 2010, 02:36 PM.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

So...can we settle on a bra-burning and accept that the writing staff sucks at female characters and move on?

Comment

Even if that were true, why have her cry at all? She could just look sad or something. Why have James of all women, the physically strongest of all women on-board, break down in tears because of "Loneliness" or "Lack of Scott"?
                            Because some people cry in that kind of situation. It shows she's human and not some female warrior robot with no emotions. People are allowed to be emotional.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I disagree. James was clearly disturbed when she walked in on Scott and Chloe doing it in "Water". That said, I agree they weren't each others' soulmates or whatever, but there was obviously a connection on the part of James. Then there was that scene when she told Chloe about Scott being trapped in the crevasse; IMHO, there was a clear tension and unease between them.

The only reason she wasn't more clearly angry/sad was because, like you said, she was a strong, capable soldier; she wouldn't express herself like that in public.

You've never said that someone else was attractive while you were in a relationship? Really?

Apples and oranges.

There is (obviously) a clear difference between remaining strong in the face of the enemy and succumbing to personal struggles while in the privacy of her own room. Are you saying that a military person never breaksdown?

No...

It was argued that she was crying because she was really sad or only or whatever and that it's normal for people to cry. So it's normal to cry because Scott treated her like crap, but someone so depressed they'd take their own life doesn't cry right before shooting himself?
                              I think Spencer was past the point of crying about it by that...point.

Comment

yet James cries because Scott is ignoring her? Say what now?
                                I share this sentiment. I thought it was silly she would be crying about Caine? This upped the ante, this is sillier. Scott was having sex with Chloe a day? 2 days? after he last had sex with James. Pretty sure she knew. She definitely seen them making out. Its been week(s)? month(s)? since then? Sex didn't do it, the kissing didn't do it, but impoliteness left on the cutting room floor did?

But, then again, this is at least 2 times removed from my understanding. I find it hard enough to understand women, let alone women of the Destiny who were written and conceived of by men who apparently understand women less than I do. Are there any left on the ship that haven't cried yet?
                                Originally posted by reddevil18
                                Maybe this whole experience, with Scott and sexy widower will turn her off men for good. Ya hear that, Wray? Make your move, fast!
                                Now this I understand. I will forgive the writers 3 teen-like drama cringe moments per episode if this happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X