This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
    The aliens were hardly drab, would you prefer a man in a gorn suit for the aliens?
    I said that the alien ships looked kinda drab - on the inside, at least. The aliens themselves were cool.

EDIT: And they need names for a while. I propose MattSilvians, or Sheep. MattSilvians because it kinda sounds familiar in a good way, and Sheep because of the bleating noise they seem to make sometimes.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Call me weird but I would call "space" average in terms of stargate standards.
      I viewed this episode quite objectively. I completely, blanked out my negative assumption about the show.

Unfortunately, the show still is feeling offkey. There were glimpses of great moments however, the plot was rushed, there was potential where chole and rusch were captured it could have lasted longer.

There are too many jumps, trying to fit too much information in the storyline.
      They need to stop doing this. Stick to a basic plot don't try and create sub-plots(its feeling like continuum all over again) where they had those replicators and baul. Those two plots within continium conflicted. I don't see the need for those two plots in one movie, there are chances of conflicting storyline and one storyline not ending the same length as the other(such was the case with this episode).

If they are after drama, try learning from The pacific. The pacific is offering more compelling drama television than SGU atm. I can really "feel" what the character is feeling.

Unfortunately, at the end the show had glimpses of the stargate root but just didn't hit the mark I am afraid.
      5.5/10 for me.

Nevertheless, I will continue watching it- still not quite impressed tbh.
      Last edited by globex; 03 April 2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
        Fantastic! As good as I expected it would be! I truly hope the rest of Season 1.5 is like this! The aliens were very cool, and the space battle was very great!
        As long as they continue with the character rich aspect of the show, which it looks like they're going to, I'm cool with more aliens and 'splosions. Everyone can be happy!

Comment

I loved the episode, defently has shown that the series is picking up speed after the quite slow start. The space battle was well done (did you see how big Destinies main guns are!!!) and the ailen ships (and the aliens) were new and orginal. Also, the whole chole getting kidnapped was no surprise

the whole thing with the scientists not being happy along with Rush and Wray talking about "next time2 is defently going to have a huge inpact later on in the series IMO.

Also the whole little side story with 2nd Lt James defently shows that they are human and not just a bunch of robots, going about doing there job. (Although did feel sorry for her gettig rejected at the end)

One problem I had is Scott. He just annoys me with his whole "Hero" mentality.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
            Call me weird but I would call "space" average in terms of stargate standards.
            Space, the best of the worst ideas. That works out to be mediocre to my mind. I was hoping to be happier about it. Despite the hype and attempt to repackage, it was just the next episode in line and already in the can, not a thoughtful reconsideration.

Characters do matter, simply dropping this lot into a classic Stargate plot hasn't solved the problem for me.
            Unfortunately, the show still is feeling offkey. There were glimpses of great moments however, the plot was rushed, there was potential where chole and rusch were captured it could have lasted longer.
            Not something I focused on, but it did feel rushed. Interesting considering that the first 9? episodes, to me, dragged at an agonizing pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              I think Stargate has produced better space battles, like BAMSR and Lost City.
              I liked this space battle even a bit more, because we were shown the rest of the crew during the encounter. When people were at the observation deck and looking at the big ship, I was as scared as they were.

Moreover, the Destiny couldn't handle this battle. The weapons nor shield weren't that effective, which is great. Poor Eli, I really felt for him, because Young expected him to get this sorted out. And I think there might be some consequences to having Chloe abducted.

Great episode, can't wait to see it again.
              sigpic

Comment

One thing I hate about the "shields are failing" thing...The damn thing goes through a sun. Does it get drained so easily?

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                  Does it get drained so easily?
                  Apparently.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                    Space, the best of the worst ideas. That works out to be mediocre to my mind. I was hoping to be happier about it. Despite the hype and attempt to repackage, it was just the next episode in line and already in the can, not a thoughtful reconsideration.

Characters do matter, simply dropping this lot into a classic Stargate plot hasn't solved the problem for me.
                    Yes I am aware but, the characters still seem fake to me. They don't feel believable if you watch what i mean?

Not something I focused on, but it did feel rushed. Interesting considering that the first 9? episodes, to me, dragged at an agonizing pace.
                    The first few episodes were alright, the ship going into the sun, them going on the planet where the creatures attack Time was the episode. and I think a lot of the fans would agree, that particular episode was well crafted.(personally, that's my favourite episode). But the worse was episode 9 oh my gawd - "life" was crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                      Apparently.
                      I guess it's just one of those typical sci-fi things that we have to accept. Plot devices and contrivances. Like the stones themselves. I mean, maybe we'll eventually get an explanation, but there are sooo many questions. Like, why did the glitch happen? It doesn't really make sense. Do the aliens have stones of their own? It's just one of those things, like I said. Just like the attack on Icarus Base and the Hammond. You think too much about it and you just wind up running in circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
                        The pacing seemed off. I don't mind the slow pacing at all, but this episode seemed to want to unwrap slowly, but instead the paper was just ripped off in places. I hope the non-humans play a bigger role in the future.
                        Have to agree with this. The start and end of the episode (ie before and after the aliens) were paced really well IMO, but the centre of episode was very choppy and all over the place.

Comment

One thing I hate about the "shields are failing" thing...The damn thing goes through a sun. Does it get drained so easily?
                          My thoughts exactly. There's no way the aliens puny little beam weapons would strain the shield as much as flying through gasses probably at hundreds of thousands of degrees or higher, whilst making the effects of gravity null and void, and blocking out large quantities of electromagnetic radiation of pretty much all frequencies, whilst on very low/negligible power reserves. With the destiny powered up to what, 50% at the time of this episode, it shouldn't have even batted an eyelid. I suppose we could blame the weapons fire, but the Ancients wouldn't design a ship so badly that firing the guns weakens the shields. That's just shoddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            Have to agree with this. The start and end of the episode (ie before and after the aliens) were paced really well IMO, but the centre of episode was very choppy and all over the place.
                            Indeed.

Comment

I just assumed the ship drew power from the sun as it went through it, thereby strengthening the shields more and more. Not the same when they're being attacked by alien weaponry. The ship wasn't designed to absorb that, so it only does more damage, whereas the sun actually keeps their shield strength up throughout the entire process.

That's my take anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
                                Yes I am aware but, the characters still seem fake to me. They don't feel believable if you watch what i mean?
                                Didn't mean to suggest you weren't aware, it was more just a lament on my part.

Fake, unbelievable, not able to relate to them. There have been times when I am watching and I feel like the drama is a parody of what someone thinks drama is, not actual drama. I guess that is the best way I can describe it.
                                The first few episodes were alright, the ship going into the sun, them going on the planet where the creatures attack Time was the episode. and I think a lot of the fans would agree, that particular episode was well crafted.(personally, that's my favourite episode). But the worse was episode 9 oh my gawd - "life" was crap.
                                Time was alright. I had a few problems with the drama/characters as I remember, though, can't be specific, I have not cared to rewatch any of the episodes yet. My biggest gripe was that it was the first episode I liked more than I disliked and through trickery of time-travel it never actually happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X