Thoughts on the opening scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    Not really, because SGU is a different show and also because suggestive sex scenes are not "as bad" as full frontal nudity, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to air it (note: that's just how the network sees it, I'm not claiming either way). If I remember correctly, TPTB didn't want the nude scene in CotG because they felt it didn't fit with the show. But SGU and SG1 are pretty tonally and thematically different, so it isn't necessarily the case that they'd follow all of the same guidelines, per say.
    Although I agree with what you have said, an interesting question was posed though wasn't it. It does appear as though TPTB, and I guess Stargate fans alround given how infamous the COTG scene was, really objected to the full frontal nudity of a female in a completely non-sexual situation. It was essentially similar to a medical reality show where they follow women having boob jobs and show them in all their pre and post op glory.

On the other hand a simulated sex scene complete with bells, whistles, moaning and sweat seems to be quite fine if the need arises.
    sigpic

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good opener, since it not only helped frame the seriousness of the hallucinations, but it also showed a little more of the psyche problems that James is going through. (even if I was secretly hoping it was a perma-kill...hehe.)

Comment

All I can say is that my father and I spent a lot of good bonding hours watching SG-1. I don't like that I wouldn't feel comfortable watching SGU with him! !!
        sigpic
        Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
        O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
        Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
        O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
          All I can say is that my father and I spent a lot of good bonding hours watching SG-1. I don't like that I wouldn't feel comfortable watching SGU with him! !!
          Kind of like me watching True Blood with my 15yo sister (I am 28)....talk about awkward with a capital AWK!!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

It was tasteless, inappropriate, and unnecessary.

The music was also annoying.

All the contemporary music in this episode was irritating.

The only good contemporary music was from the Series final of SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by rust View Post
              I thought it was a pretty good opener, since it not only helped frame the seriousness of the hallucinations, but it also showed a little more of the psyche problems that James is going through. (even if I was secretly hoping it was a perma-kill...hehe.)
              Ok, I actually like Lt. Scott, BUT I was thinking that we'd get to see him die in a few different ways. I mean, claustrophobia guy had a number of different 'episodes'. Why couldn't Lt. James? !!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                Kind of like me watching True Blood with my 15yo sister (I am 28)....talk about awkward with a capital AWK!!!!!
                eeeeek...... kind of like watching True Blood with anyone!!!! hahaha. That is a show I definitely like watching alone. Or with a gay guy friend who is very non-shy about sexuality. haha. When's it coming back anyways? Hopefully soon!

(btw, I'm 26, and have a 15 year old sis who would love it. I just can't be the one to INTRODUCE it to her.... but if she discovered it seperately, maybe I could hang!)
                sigpic

Comment

Jumping in late...

I thought it was less graphic than the scene in air, and it did actually make the following event more believable...that being said those scenes could be cut and I wouldn't shed a single tear.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    Am I the only one that found it funny that the same producers re-released SG-1's Children of the Gods without the nudity scene, but are continuing to produce SGU with suggestive sex scenes?
                    -more than a decade has passed
                    -SGU is rated as a more adult show
                    -full frontal nudity in CoTG vs suggestive (and quick!) scenes in Pain, with no frontal at all
                    -context: The set up in CoTG had not only full frontal nudity but it had a woman in a very degraded position, where the idea is not normal sexual relations but degradation verging on a form of rape. In Pain, the context is that these two have been in a sexual relationship in the past and it's her fear that he's just shrugging her off. It's not a great situation but it's far from degradation and it's clearly not akin to a rape.

Aside from the general idea of skin being shown at all, I don't see that the two scenes have all that much in common.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

An-Alteran,

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                      It was tasteless, inappropriate, and unnecessary.

The music was also annoying.

All the contemporary music in this episode was irritating.

The only good contemporary music was from the Series final of SG1.
                      Don't be shy. Please tell us what you really think. I have no problem with the scene. I do think it show's James is a tad (okay maybe more than a tad) obsessed with Scott. She's going to snap. It will be bad.

I rewatched the extended version of Air on Sunday. I'd missed the scene in Air pt. 3 where James snaps at Young for checking on Chloe but not asking about her. That was before anything happened between Chloe and Scott. I reiterate, James is going to a very bad place.
                      Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 17 May 2010, 06:54 AM.
                      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

well, when it first appeared I thought "why are the sex scenes always in the beginning of the episode" (well, for most part). And whoa, is that more of Scott than we've seen before? When James clocked him and the blood began to pool, it was obvious it wasn't real, especially if he's lying there with eyes open, sort of a clue to death. The song? Did not care for it at all. Song at end fit, but song at beginning was just not to my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                          Am I the only one that found it funny that the same producers re-released SG-1's Children of the Gods without the nudity scene, but are continuing to produce SGU with suggestive sex scenes?
                          This scene didn't have anything on Sha're's cooter hanging out, in my opinion.

Comment

My first reaction when I saw who Scott was with was "Good, now Chloe's going to find out, and they'll break up." (I personally would much rather see her with Eli than Scott) That was before the part where James "killed" him.

I don't think the scene was overly offensive. I've seen plenty of scenes just like that, where all you see are their backs and arms, in other shows and this one just seemed like yet another people-sleeping-together.

I'm not going to comment on CotG, because I didn't see the "original" version, only the edited one.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              well, when it first appeared I thought "why are the sex scenes always in the beginning of the episode" (well, for most part). And whoa, is that more of Scott than we've seen before? When James clocked him and the blood began to pool, it was obvious it wasn't real, especially if he's lying there with eyes open, sort of a clue to death. The song? Did not care for it at all. Song at end fit, but song at beginning was just not to my taste.
                              Ya I was afraid people at the beginning wouldn't come back after the teaser but most of the viewers are adults who probably won't care about it(or at least will tolerate it and not turn of TV shows at the sight of a semi-graphic sex scene) so it probably wasn't to big of a ratings killer if any.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                                What do you mean by a joke?
                                Hyperbole, dramatic overstatement.
                                [edit]But on the topic, the scene wasn't really what I want to see on TV. I think they could have cut it down and still achieved the same plot point.

Hmm, I could bring up the age old question of which part of the scene do people worry about protecting their kids from? The lusty part or the 'dead in a pool of blood' part?
                                Last edited by Eternal Density; 17 May 2010, 05:07 PM.
                                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                                X