No announcement yet.

Greer is now officially awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right from the premiere, Greer and Rush were the 2 most interesting characters to me, and that is still the case.
    Greer is fantastically acted and is really showing a deeper side to himself than I think anyone anticipated. Before the premiere, I thought he was just going to be the 'tough guy' who was basically set dressing unless there is something to shoot or beat up. I am glad I was wrong on that.

Greer is now joint top with Rush of characters I want to know more about, just ahead of Young and Scott.

I'm still not sure about Chloe, Camille, or TJ. Stargate has historically struggled with good female characters (Sam and Janet being the notable exceptions to this) so I will possibly be a little more skeptical of these characters until TPTB really give the actresses a chance to flesh out their characters.

Comment

Greer was awesome I have been leaning towards liking him since he shot that dumb Scientist. him and Young are my favs now

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
      I'm still not sure about Chloe, Camille, or TJ. Stargate has historically struggled with good female characters (Sam and Janet being the notable exceptions to this) so I will possibly be a little more skeptical of these characters until TPTB really give the actresses a chance to flesh out their characters.

what about Wier i thought she was an awesome female role
      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
      sigpic

Comment

Greeg is going to be the cool baddass guys in SGU, like Tealc was in sg1 and Ronan in atlantis.

I'm extited about this charachter, and have high hopes

Comment

I wasn't automatic on Sgt.Greer in Air1-3, but parts of Air3 showed promise with him. I don't think he's behaving exactly the same in Darkness or Light, as in Air1 & 2. Him hitting what's his face, was in context & for good reason, unlike several of his reactions before.
          I have grown to like his character, but I think it has so much more to do with loathing the trolley trick, & several other horrible characters. It is quite pleasant to not hear Sgt.Greer ask the dumbest possible question in the book during each situation, this has endeared him to me as well. I'm at a loss as to how that confused joke managed to reach Lieutenant. I'd call him Cpt.Question instead of Cpt.Marvel, & feel better with Sgt.Greer leading an away team over Lt.Scott easily.
          Great episode for Greer, though, yes.

-I don't think Ford was written right, which falls on the writers, not Ford. They made him awesome, but then chucked him away a 2nd time, which was poor craftsmanship. He held a lot of potential in his new role. They adore reusing the same old faces for brand new characters, so maybe we'll see Francks again, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
            Right from the premiere, Greer and Rush were the 2 most interesting characters to me, and that is still the case.
            Greer is fantastically acted and is really showing a deeper side to himself than I think anyone anticipated. Before the premiere, I thought he was just going to be the 'tough guy' who was basically set dressing unless there is something to shoot or beat up. I am glad I was wrong on that.

Greer is now joint top with Rush of characters I want to know more about, just ahead of Young and Scott.

See, I got distracted by Scott and co. and ended up not paying much attention to Greer. Also, his character description wasn't too promising, and I also felt he was going to end up window dressing. I'm really glad they've decided to make him more mature than a lot of the others and show he isn't just a hot head.

I really think the writers are setting up Rush and Greer to be on friendly terms with each other. As I look back on it, I think Greer shooting the scientist was the beginning of Rush feeling like he was being taken seriously by someone else. I think over time these two are going to appreciate each other's stability. Both are very centered characters.

Comment

Yes, I had him wrong like many other viewers. Facing his end with [butt naked] dignity, enforcing the orders of Young and NOT being the one selfishly fighting for his own life put him WAY up in my estimation. I also think the actor is splendid...never seen him before Universe. Love his gruff voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythophile View Post
                I really think the writers are setting up Rush and Greer to be on friendly terms with each other.
                I very much hope so. I love that kind of character transition in my drama. I hate it when it happens in one episode, ala Ronan-Teal'c, so let us see it the way it is supposed to happen in real life. Relationships like that take time.

Comment

I was a fan before stargate itself

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Greer is officially awesome? How so? What about this episode indicates his awesomeness? He is still the lame walking stereotype he was before, only now he thinks its epic to die in space. Wow.
                    Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
                      Greer is officially awesome? How so? What about this episode indicates his awesomeness? He is still the lame walking stereotype he was before, only now he thinks its epic to die in space. Wow.
                      What the crap are you talking about?
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Which part? Him being a sterotype (angry, out of control macho soldier man with an underlying sense of duty) or him thinking it's cool to die in space (his video).

Can't stand his character and it only gets worse.
                        Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Which part? Him being a sterotype (angry, out of control macho soldier man with an underlying sense of duty) or him thinking it's cool to die in space (his video).
                          He is far deeper than any stereotype, and I don't recall him ever saying it was "cool" to die in space. He just said that if he had to die, flying into a sun isn't so bad.

Can't stand his character and it only gets worse.
                          I'm glad you're in the extreme minority.
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I liked his little monologue about transitioning from this life to whatever is on the other side in a blaze of glory, by flying into a star. (I think his accent is adorable, too.)

Maybe he hadn't always thought it was "epic" to die in space, but if, to the best of your knowledge, that is what's going to happen no matter what, I think the way he framed his mind to accept it in such a glorified, poetic way was probably the healthiest adjustment somebody could make in the face of such an extremely catastrophic inescapable end.

I didn't necessarily "like" him from the beginning, and I didn't read anything about the show beforehand. However, I always thought there was more to him - like he had a darn good reason for having a chip on his shoulder, and he had been prematurely judged and ostracized by people who had not had the full story. As far as the court-martial or whatever, I thought that whatever it was, there had to have been some mitigating circumstances.

Then I found out he hit Telford and lol'd. That doesn't answer everything for me, but it was enough to make me lol.
                            Spoiler:
                            Radio Show Host: Today we are interviewing the Artist Fondly Known as Steve, lead singer of the Wraith. He's here to promote their first album, I Am Your Death. Great to have you with us, Steve.

Steve: (hisss)

Comment

Greer is now officially awesome
                              I almost started a thread just like this. Greer is becoming my favorite character. I like him more and more each episode.
                              sigpic
                              FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                                He is far deeper than any stereotype, and I don't recall him ever saying it was "cool" to die in space. He just said that if he had to die, flying into a sun isn't so bad.

I'm glad you're in the extreme minority.
                                I know what he said, and I know that he did not literally say it was cool.

I do find it amusing that you feel the need to make blanket statements like the one above about me being in the extreme minority. That may be so, but it certainly does not make my opinion of his character any less valid than those who like him. I'm glad people like him. I, however, as of this moment see no reason to call him awesome, and in fact his character rubs me the wrong way in every episode.

Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X