How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
    Its poor because if you accept it, you can no longer continue on with the silly notion that the writers aren't trying to tell you something.

Alcoholics do not have alcohol all the time. I didn't change the parameters of what we have seen in the show, I merely changed the object of his desire. So I ask again, if instead of sex it was alcohol, shown in the exact same manner. An incident at 16. Drinking in a supply closet. And a flask instead of Chloe. Wouldn't you have to agree its obvious?

Also, for those that are so adamant that his sex life is perfectly normal and this is "good" "realistic" writing. Just by chance, what if I am right. What if we find out later in the series that indeed, the writers were trying to tell us he has issues with sex/intimacy/whatever and we were in fact supposed to understand by these scenes that that was the case? Are you all going to change your tune, do a 180 and say "well done writers, you did a fine job of portraying his emotional problems, with his frequent and seemingly inappropriate sex"

Or, are you going to be jaded by the fact that the writers are calling dysfunctional what you now consider to be a normal sex life?
    I think you are finding a problem where there isn't one. Alcohol =/= Sex. Get that notion out of your head. Alcohol is a destructive substance. Sex is a natural body function. Your analogy fails.

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    A real Christian is a person who follows Christianity, who believes in God, who actually does what the bible says/implies. A 'fake' Christian is a person who is a Christian for the ride, because they were raised so, or because they simply want the chance for salvation, and don't want to 'miss the boat'.

Well, I don't think we ever found about Sheppard's religion.
    That's fine and all, but who are you to judge who is and isn't trying to overcome their sins? How do you know that a person struggling with alcoholism isn't trying to get sober. You can't really read their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacfour View Post
      I think you are finding a problem where there isn't one. Alcohol =/= Sex. Get that notion out of your head. Alcohol is a destructive substance. Sex is a natural body function. Your analogy fails.
      Really? It fails only because you want to bury your head in the sand. I guess there is no such thing as Sex addiction, sexually self-destructive behavior, rape, or molestation. Sex is natural, therefore, always correct right?

Comment

That's fine and all, but who are you to judge who is and isn't trying to overcome their sins? How do you know that a person struggling with alcoholism isn't trying to get sober. You can't really read their mind.
        I'm not judging. What I am saying is that we haven't seen Scott act like a real Christian, except for in a extreme moment of weakness.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

A real Christian is a person who follows Christianity, who believes in God, who actually does what the bible says/implies.
          So real Christians beat and stone their family members to death because they step out of line then? Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
            So real Christians beat and stone their family members to death because they step out of line then? Gotcha.
            Situational. Laws have to update to suit the times. Unless you're saying that the Bible has no moral, ethical, or philosophical value.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Situational. Laws have to update to suit the times. Unless you're saying that the Bible has no moral, ethical, or philosophical value.
              To be honest with you, I'm questioning why you would jump to the conclusion that I suggested that the bible has no value. Particularly after I just asked you what a "real Christian" was, and you gave me an extremely wide-open definition.

This is why people shouldn't say things like that in the first place.

Comment

You have destroyed your own point by saying that it's subjective.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                  Really? It fails only because you want to bury your head in the sand. I guess there is no such thing as Sex addiction, sexually self-destructive behavior, rape, or molestation. Sex is natural, therefore, always correct right?
                  I said nothing of the sort. Don't twist my words... Appearently you think lt. Scott's sex life is on the same level as rape? Am I reading your post correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                    To be honest with you, I'm questioning why you would jump to the conclusion that I suggested that the bible has no value. Particularly after I just asked you what a "real Christian" was, and you gave me an extremely wide-open definition.

This is why people shouldn't say things like that in the first place.
                    Should and would build no bridges.

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    You have destroyed your own point by saying that it's subjective.
                    The Bible has both values. Some have to change due to the situation, and some don't change at all.

sigpic

Comment

What changes and who decides? It comes to to human decisions and that is subjective any way you look at it.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Surely a real christian is anyone who truly believes themself to be a christian, regardless of which parts of the Bible they follow or don't. You may disagree with them about the extent they follow the teachings you do but at the end of the day it's not upto you or anyone else to decide who's a real christian and who isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                          What changes and who decides? It comes to to human decisions and that is subjective any way you look at it.
                          Leaders of Church. And State. And just because it's a human decision doesn't mean it's subjective.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                            Surely a real christian is anyone who truly believes themself to be a christian, regardless of which parts of the Bible they follow or don't. You may disagree with them about the extent they follow the teachings you do but at the end of the day it's not upto you or anyone else to decide who's a real christian and who isn't.
                            Nope, they just simply make hypocrites of themselves. "I believe in God, and I believe in his teachings, but I also had pre-marital sex with two women in a couple of days." And no, we haven't seen him asking for forgiveness for anything.

sigpic

Comment

Some have to change due to the situation, and some don't change at all.
                              In other words, when you used the term "real Christians" what you really meant to say was "people who I personally decided are okay."

The whole point of view looks immature and elitist when you put it into those terms.

Comment

I said nothing of the sort. Don't twist my words...
                                How about this, you didn't not say it, you left it open to that interpretation.

First, you said alcohol is a destructive substance, which in itself is patently incorrect. In fact, modern science tells us that in some moderation it may actually have a proprophylactic effect with diseases such as heart disease. Its pleasurable effects have been known since ancient times.

Alcohol can be a destructive substance when used destructively.

If you did not mean to say that sex being "natural" and natural being "good", then what did you mean?

There are more ways than I can list that sex can be used destructively, natural or not.

Again, I ask the simple question, all else being equal, nothing else changed except a girl becomes a bottle of alcohol, does it become obvious he is supposed to have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X