How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    i dont believe you, soldiers dont sleep with other soldiers.
    Sure they do. Why do you think there is actually a written rule that says conscripted personnel cannot be in any relationship with enlisted (which is basically officers cannot be with non-officers) personnel?

Why do you think they have safe sex talks while in the field? Why do you think women are still on birth control?

People have needs, sex is one of those needs. It's also something that happens often in dangerous situations. There is a whole psychology papers discussing this in relation to soldiers.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Are you serious?

Comment

[QUOTE
        Seriously guys, this is going nowhere. TPTB are probably laughing at us now.[/QUOTE]

If the powers that be read more than 5 posts into this thread, I would question their sanity. Matter of fact, I question my own!

Comment

Uh.. which hill of sand has your head been in the past 100 years? Having recently retired from 20+ years in the military, my wife and I would like to disagree with you....

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
            Lets now fast-forward to the present of SGU. Scott here has now knocked up 2 girls in the time of a few days.
            I don't think you mean knocked up, I think you mean slept with. Knocked up means he got them pregnant.

Another problem i have is that there is no "love" in there sex act. They are just doing it for pleasure and comfort. They are degrading the act of sex (imo).
            I just laughed at this statement. ZOMG HE DOESN'T LOVE HER!!!!!!111one.

He should have been more responsible and think before acting (especially as a christian man). For one, he was not wearing a condom (i think), he could have given Chloe an STD or gotten her pregnant. Maybe he even stole her virginity.
            Stole her virginity? What did he do, sneak in her room in them middle of the night and rape her? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This is priceless. Second, she's not real, she's a fictional character on a TV show. Sir, calm down. Calm down, sir. Sir...calm down.

Does anyone have a problem with this other then me? His whole character seems contradictory and a paradox. It would be nice to show him in a scene in a later episode praying and admitting his sin.
            Here is a wild and crazy thought, maybe one that you haven't thought of. Maybe, and I mean just maybe, he doesn't think sleeping with somebody is a sin. And maybe, just maybe other people don't think so, either.

Your rant was priceless. You sir, are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post

Here is a wild and crazy thought, maybe one that you haven't thought of. Maybe, and I mean just maybe, he doesn't think sleeping with somebody is a sin. And maybe, just maybe other people don't think so, either.

Your rant was priceless. You sir, are awesome.
              If you are going to mock people's posts you might as well do it in an intelligent manner.

In "Air Part 3" we clearly saw that he believed it to be a sin, so much that he was moved to tears. As someone else said, he merely lost faith in himself.

Many may overlook that Christianity requires faith in the self at times. Everyone believes that murder is wrong, yet there are some that do this not once or twice but more for greed. The same can be said for Scott. He still believes in a personal God, in the God of Abraham (hints his prayer).

Sex addiction is not easily controlled, hence the word addiction. If you have little faith in your self, you just give up. No amount of prayer can help you if you even if you believe that through, since he is Christian, the Lord you can change. Christianity is not about having God do everything for you. Only through the Lord can you change if you are up to it. Scott does not seem to be up to it.

What is the furthest "noble" cause to that of priesthood? Service to your nation. His flashback with his Father, as in the priest, shows that he was running away. In essence he gave up, if Darth Vader were there he would have killed him for his lack of faith (he finds that sort of thing disturbing).

It is true that the "calling" was not his. It is most likely that he aspired to be a priest to please his father figure, as Rush said in "Air part 3", okay that's a long shot but bare with me.

If the calling was not his, then how can you attest to the level of devotion that he has? You can become less devout but not lose faith in God. IMO the less devout have a problem of self worth and faith in the self. We have to believe in our ability to work with God, in a Christian POV.

Maybe a relationship, a real one, with Chloe could help him. What we have is a backwards man who is not self aware. Lets see how he develops first.
              Last edited by aretood2; 26 October 2009, 11:42 AM.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Some of us haven't seen or been spoiled about anything as far as Water goes. nor do we want to until the episode airs. Thanks for that.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I think he's referring to Air Part 3, rather than Water.

Comment

The only issue I had was when Chloe started to get close (holding hands) to Eli at the end. then when Scott came back, dumped his a## and went running to Scott. Yea, way to stomp on Eli like that.

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      If you are going to mock people's posts you might as well do it in an intelligent manner.

In "Water" we clearly saw that he believed it to be a sin, so much that he was moved to tears. As someone else said, he merely lost faith in himself.

Many may overlook that Christianity requires faith in the self at times. Everyone believes that murder is wrong, yet there are some that do this not once or twice but more for greed. The same can be said for Scott. He still believes in a personal God, in the God of Abraham (hints his prayer).

Sex addiction is not easily controlled, hence the word addiction. If you have little faith in your self, you just give up. No amount of prayer can help you if you even if you believe that through, since he is Christian, the Lord you can change. Christianity is not about having God do everything for you. Only through the Lord can you change if you are up to it. Scott does not seem to be up to it.

What is the furthest "noble" cause to that of priesthood? Service to your nation. His flashback with his Father, as in the priest, shows that he was running away. In essence he gave up, if Darth Vader were there he would have killed him for his lack of faith (he finds that sort of thing disturbing).

It is true that the "calling" was not his. It is most likely that he aspired to be a priest to please his father figure, as Rush said in "Water", okay that's a long shot but bare with me.

If the calling was not his, then how can you attest to the level of devotion that he has? You can become less devout but not lose faith in God. IMO the less devout have a problem of self worth and faith in the self. We have to believe in our ability to work with God, in a Christian POV.

Maybe a relationship, a real one, with Chloe could help him. What we have is a backwards man who is not self aware. Lets see how he develops first.
                      I can't take you seriously. You started off talking about being a Christian but then compared it to Darth Vader.

May the force be with your, or something, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                        I can't take you seriously. You started off talking about being a Christian but then compared it to Darth Vader.

May the force be with your, or something, I guess.
                        I knew that would be problematic for some with a different taste in Humor than I. But I'd hardly call a little joke the reason to doubt the credibility of an argument.

But, alas everyone is entitled to their one opinions. I think, yeah that right our own opinions.

Live Long and prosper....such a cheesy line!
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Im starting to have a problem with Scott here. We have been shown in a flashback that he regrets and has a sense of guilt for having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Lets now fast-forward to the present of SGU. Scott here has now knocked up 2 girls in the time of a few days. He seems to show no regret in doing it, contrary from his experiences in the past. Now im not saying he is a non-christian, all people sin whether they are christian or not. What im saying is that he is not even trying not to sin. They should have had him questioning himself after he had sex with Chloe.

Another problem i have is that there is no "love" in there sex act. They are just doing it for pleasure and comfort. They are degrading the act of sex (imo).

He should have been more responsible and think before acting (especially as a christian man). For one, he was not wearing a condom (i think), he could have given Chloe an STD or gotten her pregnant. Maybe he even stole her virginity.

Does anyone have a problem with this other then me? His whole character seems contradictory and a paradox. It would be nice to show him in a scene in a later episode praying and admitting his sin.

Maybe he needs an hallucination of his priest to give him advice....but that would be to much like BSG.

It just seems to me that they are making out Scott to be more of a Whore then a Christian man who has faults and is trying to correct them.
                          My response to this is...people get use to sin. It's a sad thing when someone sins -- even more heart breaking when they do it so much, they never think about it. We don't know how long it was since he was 16, do we (I don't know if we have an official age on him)? And even if it was only 5 years...a lot of things can happen in five years to make you change, into a good or bad person (not saying having sex makes him a bad person...but you get what I am saying).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the bible is like the pirate code, y'know, more like guidelines than actual rules.

Because we certainly don't follow all the rules in the bible. I mean, I've never seen some one be stoned to death for taking the Lord's name in vain and I'm pretty sure that in most civilized societies you can't sell your daughter into slavery yet both of these actions are justified and condoned in the bible.

My point is that what's a sin to you might not be a sin to Scott, and why should he live his life by some one elses guidelines? As long as he is true to himself and how he interprets his religion, it shouldn't matter to anyone else.
                            Originally posted by Callista
                            Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                            Originally posted by HPMom
                            She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

I think in one of his interviews he said that his character was in his early 20's.

You know, this is an odd subject to debate. Whether or not a character in a science fiction TV show is acting like a, "Christian". Tell me, what is the reason some of you feel so strongly about this character and his actions through 5 episodes? I realize that this forum is for fans of the Stargate shows and that because of that, pretty much everything that happens is discussed, dissected, and analyzed. Events that happen in front or behind the camera are all fair game. That's why people come here, that's one of the reasons I belong.

But somethings a little stranger with this topic more than most. I know that a lot of you feel like SGA and SG1 were the canon and that nothing is ever going to match up with those two shows. For some, SGU has been a target because the other shows were held in such high esteem. I get the feeling that some of you are taking it a little too personal. We all know that prior to airing a lot of the talk about SGU from the creators had the same message. SGU was going to be darker and more adult. They were hoping to attract new viewers in addition to old fans.

So far I like it a lot, it's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. Because of Scott's love of the ladies, it think it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out over the course of the series. I'm curious as to how long he's going to be able to keep both of them on separate strings. Whether or not his religion plays into it will be curious too.

I think what's stranger than anything so far is the black Sgt, who before they figured out that they weren't going to be kissing the Sun, stripped bare -assed naked, got into the lotus position on his bed! Now that's something you don't see on any other SG episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                                I think he's referring to Air Part 3, rather than Water.
                                Well, no worries then.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                IIn "Air Part 3" we clearly saw that he believed it to be a sin, so much that he was moved to tears. As someone else said, he merely lost faith in himself.
                                No, that shows us that it was a concern for him when he was 16. It is now ten years later.
                                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X