How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmacfour View Post
    You guys do realize that Lt. Scott, if he still considers himself Christian, is basically reflecting the way most Christians behave? I only know a handful of Christians that wouldn't go have sex if it was available to them (Premarital that is).

Maybe you haven't learned much about sex, but there are methods that don't require contraceptives, but I don't really want to share the details.
    *cough* How many Christians do you know? I mean, real Christians, not "Easter, Christmas, and maybe Thanksgiving" Christians?
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
      *cough* How many Christians do you know? I mean, real Christians, not "Easter, Christmas, and maybe Thanksgiving" Christians?
      Well let's see; I am an atheist, but most people I know, considers themselves Christian. A few of them are really only Christian by name, but a good percentage actually go to church.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
        Since when does having sex with one person, and then several days later having sex with someone else who you've made an emotional connection with and under the impending threat of death make you hypersexual, oversexed, a sexual addict or any of the other comments made about Lt Scott's sexual drive? Frankly he appears to be no more sexually driven than any other average 26 year old man.
        We are 5 episodes in.
        1) first episode, we first meet him screwing James in the closet 'cause he can't wait for bed time. He's doing her while he's like on duty, expecting visitors to arrive. "Oh wait, Vanessa... got to meet the people I'm supposed to provide security for in like 5 minutes. Can we wait until this evening?"

2) in his near death experience, he's like remembering how his penis has gotten him in trouble in the past.

3) he knocked up some chick when he was a teenager.

4) he nails the chick on the destiny, which he only knows for like a few days and seems to only have had like 2 conversations with. And he's already talking to her like they're married.

We are 5 episodes in and we kept on getting reminded how sex is so easy for him to come by and we got the information that it has generated problems for him in the past. So he's like a nymphomaniac.

Anyhow, the way he is written and how the actor plays him makes him come off as a self absorbed, oversexed, emo jock that tries to sound "deep" but ends up coming off as a dimwitted meathead.
        Last edited by tar21; 25 October 2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

None of that makes him a sex addict.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I mean, real Christians
            What's a real Christian?

Comment

Having to qualify it with "real" Christians shows ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by tar21 View Post
                We are 5 episodes in.
                1) first episode, we first meet him screwing James in the closet 'cause he can't wait for bed time. He's doing her while he's like on duty, expecting visitors to arrive. "Oh wait, Vanessa... got to meet the people I'm supposed to provide security for in like 5 minutes. Can we wait until this evening?"

2) in his near death experience, he's like remembering how his penis has gotten him in trouble in the past.

3) he knocked up some chick when he was a teenager.

4) he nails the chick on the destiny, which he only knows for like a few days and seems to only have had like 2 conversations with. And he's already talking to her like they're married.

We are 5 episodes in and we kept on getting reminded how sex is so easy for him to come by and we got the information that it has generated problems for him in the past. So he's like a nymphomaniac.

Anyhow, the way he is written and how the actor plays him makes him come off as a self absorbed, oversexed, emo jock that tries to sound "deep" but ends up coming off as a dimwitted meathead.
                Ummmmmm... he is by far not a sex maniac by what I have watched so far. 3 examples of over the course of what, 6 years of his life is not enough to call him a sex addict. He is acting like a typical male in his 20s. Trust me, 90% of the male population would do it if they have the opportunity presented to them.

And according to your definition, I'm a Nymphomaniac.
                Last edited by dmacfour; 25 October 2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

People really need to look up the definition of terms like sex addict before throwing them around in discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    None of that makes him a sex addict.
                    Really?

Okay, how about this, suppose we change sex to alcohol and revisit his story. In an alcohol related incident he changes the course of his young adult life. Several years down the line, we find him on a high security military based sneaking off into a supply closet to knock back some jack and cokes. And finally, as he contemplates the death of the others (not his own because he knew he was going to be chosen) instead of sex he takes out a flask. Would it become clearer then that the writers are trying to tell you he has some issues? Would you even question whether or not he is being portrayed as having issues with alcohol or would you just agree that it was obvious?

Personally I don't understand the push back going on with these sex issues. His back story is he screwed up his young adult life with sex issues. His current story is that he risks his current life (career) with sex issues. And apparently he can jump from woman to practical stranger (while other women is in the same enclosed space) If the writers are not trying to tell us something is amiss (poorly imo) then they are worse at this then I already imagine

Comment

Ummmmmm... he is by far not a sex maniac by what I have watched so far. 3 examples of over the course of what, 6 years of his life is not enough to call him a sex addict. He is acting like a typical male in his 20s. Trust me, 90% of the male population would do it if they have the opportunity presented to them.
                      Agree completely.

Altho if I recall right the incident where he ended up getting a girl pregnant happened when he was 16, he's now 26 so we have 3 examples of him having sex over 10 years rather than 6 years. One was when he was 16 and was clearly a normal horny teenager, another was hours before one or both of them was potentially about to die and were both in a situation where even if they survived they were unlikely to ever see home again, and the third was a bit of excitement on what was probably quite a dull assignment.

Comment

It's been 5 episodes and his sex life is already taking a big role. Why are the writers throwing all this at us, so early? Is his sex life gonna be a big part of the show? He's the second in command, an officer. He's boning one of his subordinates while on duty in the pilot. He knocked up a 16 year old girl. He's boning a chick when everyone with a commission or duty is off making preparations. Even though we haven't been outright stated, it does seem he gets around. That's the impression.

Anyhow, Eli was filming the passengers just in case. Young was preparing for the lottery. Rush was off pondering the problem at hand. TJ was probably off rationing supplies. Anyhow, even Greer seems to take everything more seriously and he's only a sergeant. Why does Scott have such a light workload?

Isn't he the second highest ranking officer on the ship? Why hasn't he reported back or been ordered to do so?
                        Last edited by tar21; 25 October 2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                          Really?

Okay, how about this, suppose we change sex to alcohol and revisit his story. In an alcohol related incident he changes the course of his young adult life. Several years down the line, we find him on a high security military based sneaking off into a supply closet to knock back some jack and cokes. And finally, as he contemplates the death of the others (not his own because he knew he was going to be chosen) instead of sex he takes out a flask. Would it become clearer then that the writers are trying to tell you he has some issues? Would you even question whether or not he is being portrayed as having issues with alcohol or would you just agree that it was obvious?

Personally I don't understand the push back going on with these sex issues. His back story is he screwed up his young adult life with sex issues. His current story is that he risks his current life (career) with sex issues. And apparently he can jump from woman to practical stranger (while other women is in the same enclosed space) If the writers are not trying to tell us something is amiss (poorly imo) then they are worse at this then I already imagine
                          Your alcohol analogy is a poor one IMO. Alcoholics have alcohol all of the time and cannot go without it. In no way does the 3 incidents portray that Lt. Scott can't go without sex, and wants to have it all the time. What it does portray is that he is a hit with the ladies, and makes use of opportunities that present themselves.

It's been 5 episodes and his sex life is already taking a big role. And he's the second in command, an officer. He's boning one of his subordinates while on duty. He knocked up a 16 year old girl. He's boning a chick when everyone with a commission or duty is off making preparations.

Eli was filming the passengers just in case. Young was preparing for the lottery. Rush was off pondering the problem at hand. TJ was probably off rationing supplies.

Anyhow, even Greer seems to take everything more seriously and he's only a sergeant.
                          Don't tell me Eli wouldn't have boned Chloe if he had the chance. He wasn't doing anything critical at that point (Neither was Scott). Just because he went off to have some fun doesn't mean he doesn't take his job seriously.

That's like saying some random virgin takes school more seriously than I do because he doesn't get any (It doesn't make sense because that is a bad criteria to evaluate seriousness).
                          Last edited by dmacfour; 25 October 2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Now, we're getting to the "who is a REAL Christian" and who isn't argument, are we?

Is this kind of like the "who is a REAL fan" and not argument?

In the end, it's up to the individual what they consider themselves. Americans are very good at individualizing how they deal with religion and the rules of their religion. Scott is a good example of this.

Though this thread is contentious, I have to give the writers credit for giving the viewer something to debate. If they had avoided pointing out Scott's religious background, people may have treated Scott's dalliances in much the same way as Sheppard's*, which I don't recall sparking a religious debate.

Applause to the writers for treading into this territory.

* I say that despite personally believing Sheppard's "Kirking" accusations were overblown.

Comment

Your alcohol analogy is a poor one IMO. Alcoholics have alcohol all of the time and cannot go without it. In no way does the 3 incidents portray that Lt. Scott can't go without sex, and wants to have it all the time. What it does portray is that he is a hit with the ladies, and makes use of opportunities that present themselves.
                              Its poor because if you accept it, you can no longer continue on with the silly notion that the writers aren't trying to tell you something.

Alcoholics do not have alcohol all the time. I didn't change the parameters of what we have seen in the show, I merely changed the object of his desire. So I ask again, if instead of sex it was alcohol, shown in the exact same manner. An incident at 16. Drinking in a supply closet. And a flask instead of Chloe. Wouldn't you have to agree its obvious?

Also, for those that are so adamant that his sex life is perfectly normal and this is "good" "realistic" writing. Just by chance, what if I am right. What if we find out later in the series that indeed, the writers were trying to tell us he has issues with sex/intimacy/whatever and we were in fact supposed to understand by these scenes that that was the case? Are you all going to change your tune, do a 180 and say "well done writers, you did a fine job of portraying his emotional problems, with his frequent and seemingly inappropriate sex"

Or, are you going to be jaded by the fact that the writers are calling dysfunctional what you now consider to be a normal sex life?

Comment

Well let's see; I am an atheist, but most people I know, considers themselves Christian. A few of them are really only Christian by name, but a good percentage actually go to church.
                                Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                                What's a real Christian?
                                A real Christian is a person who follows Christianity, who believes in God, who actually does what the bible says/implies. A 'fake' Christian is a person who is a Christian for the ride, because they were raised so, or because they simply want the chance for salvation, and don't want to 'miss the boat'.

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                                Now, we're getting to the "who is a REAL Christian" and who isn't argument, are we?

Is this kind of like the "who is a REAL fan" and not argument?

In the end, it's up to the individual what they consider themselves. Americans are very good at individualizing how they deal with religion and the rules of their religion. Scott is a good example of this.

Though this thread is contentious, I have to give the writers credit for giving the viewer something to debate. If they had avoided pointing out Scott's religious background, people may have treated Scott's dalliances in much the same way as Sheppard's*, which I don't recall sparking a religious debate.

Applause to the writers for treading into this territory.

* I say that despite personally believing Sheppard's "Kirking" accusations were overblown.
                                Well, I don't think we ever found about Sheppard's religion.
                                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                                X