Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jper View Post

Too bad I can't green you for now.

anyway going by Rush's behaviour & look of surprise when he was alone it's a given that he didn't know, in fact I'm surprised there's even a thread about it (of course the snag is, the viewers are the only ones who know that)

what is more intriguing is why Rush didn't object when Young made the accusation (unless his was more of a "forget it I know u don't trust me so I'd be wasting my time anyway" sort of reaction)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post

anyway going by Rush's behaviour & look of surprise when he was alone it's a given that he didn't know, in fact I'm surprised there's even a thread about it (of course the snag is, the viewers are the only ones who know that)
      I quite agree with you. What SoulRe@ver said.
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
        http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Nicholas_Rush

Gloria Rush was a female Tau'ri, and the wife of Nicholas Rush. She was a concert violinist and diagnosed with cancer. By 2007 she died due to the cancer. Ever since, her husband became more obsessed with researching Ancient technology and had since joined the Stargate program. (SGU: "Human")
        this came from the casting sides for this character
        Its difficult to say whether Rush knew. If he did, its hard to see why he did what he did throughout the episode. If he didn't, its hard to understand why he looked so guilty when Young commented about it. Assuming that he withdrew his name because he wanted to be on the ship- what purpose would that have served? especially since he helped the shuttle return. And if he didn't know, why did he really remove his name from the lottery, if it wasn't a selfess action?
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
          Here, we aren't so easy to trust Rush, and someday that may really bite us in the ass. I think that is the way TPTB want it.
          I trust him.

And no, he clearly didn't know. Unless he is deeply psychotic with alternate personality disorders.

Comment

I do not think Rush knew. but i think he may have had a hunch about it since the start, that they might survive. and he sent the shuttle out just in case. i like Rush

Comment

I've seen the episode now so here are my thoughts on the matter.

Rush probably considered the possibility that the Destiny had used suns to refuel in the past. He had no idea how the process actually worked, though, and he believed that the ship's power was more or less depleted so there wasn't enough to maintain any shields at full strength. Under those circumstances it would have made sense for him to go along with sending as many people as possible to that planet in the shuttle. When it came to himself, it's likely that he really did prefer death to trying to survive in a hostile environment.
              sigpic

Comment

he didn't know in my opinion, he may have had a theory that related to the sun, about how a ship that goes on for ever doesn't run out of power,

Comment

It could be that at some earlier point in his life he experienced something that would convince him that he would go through some action on the Destiny. Maybe a time travel or a vision - you know that kind of thing that makes a scifi story. ^^
                  So deep down he kind of knew this was not the end but from what the facts looked like in that situation he wasn't faking they would die.
                  Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

I have a feeling, that he had a feeling they would be OK that the ship would be fine. They never showed the course of the ship before it went around the planet and it was only after it did that they knew it was heading at the sun.

I would like to think he genuinely didn't know they would be ok, but i have several doubts in my mind.

The main reason that question was at the end of the episode was to get the viewers to watch it and see if it comes out that he knew, because i know myself i am extremely intrigued by the answer.
                    sigpic

Comment

Light finished rather oddly. If Rush even suspected they had a chance why wouldn't he give them some hope. Unless he has some personal bitterness that would negate that. He did look surprised that they had gone past the time for disintegration.

I felt the attack by Young on Rush was out of place as well. That suspiscion expressed so publicly could rebound rather badly in a ship full of people who are already disharmonious and under stress. It could have been acted a lot more subtly to inform the viewer without outright confrontation.

I can only suppose Rush is an intentional misfit/outsider and Young is limited in his leadership skills.

Mag
                      Last edited by Magnecite; 28 October 2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
                        So IMHO, I think that, yeah he had an inkling that something would happen to save their lives,
                        TBH i don't think their lives were "saved" because their lives were never in that much danger. I think the Destiny did what it was programmed to do in the eventuality that it needed more power. It went and recharged the batteries. Destiny is Ancient design and has been flying for uncounted years automatically doing what ever it is that its been programmed/charged to do.

I figure that Rush being vaguely expert in Ancient stuff figured out that the ship being Ancient and the Ancients being who they are they built in a degree of self sustainability with the ship. I.e. it can look after itself within a set boundry of situations and scenarios. I mean up until now it has been proved within the previous two shows that much of the more present Ancient technology is largely self sufficient and has built in redundancy which kicks in during certain situations (ref: Atlantis rising when shields become depleted).

I seriously believe that Rush trusted that the ship would sort itself out. I also feel that he wasn't 100% sure that he was right until they had exceeded the timeframe he had set for them to be dead. But what ever it is that is driving him to do what he is doing kept him on the ship regardless.

As for him not volunteering his speculation to the rest of the "crew". It has already been shown that Dr Rush does not play well with others. Particulalrly others who he feels are not "smart". it has also been shown that while he will answer questions he does not volunteer information. What you have to do is pin him down with direct specific questions. If you don't you don't get all the information you may consider relevant.
                        Well, let me see - we've got slow death, quick death, painful death, cold, lonely death.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnecite View Post
                          I felt the attack by Young on Rush was out of place as well.
                          Rush is the scapegoat, which is obvious given the writer's attempts to paint him as evil without concrete evidence. I suspect this accusation will have repercussions soon, which will cause Young to continue to think he's a crappy leader and injure Rush. Only weak leaders allow scapegoating to happen because it's a way to avoid dealing with problems. After all, if you blame someone else you don't have to take responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
                            I have no idea what that little exchange was about. If he knew all along.. why the theatrics?
                            More importantly, why the theatrics where no one but us, the audience, could see him? He was surprised alone in his quarters, and as he run out to confirm the power had come back...all before Chloe and Eli could see him. I can't understand why it is still being debated, as you don't put an act of surprise on for the viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by Legend11 View Post
                              More importantly, why the theatrics where no one but us, the audience, could see him? He was surprised alone in his quarters, and as he run out to confirm the power had come back...all before Chloe and Eli could see him. I can't understand why it is still being debated, as you don't put an act of surprise on for the viewers.
                              It is still being debated because it is interesting. It's also about the "why". I believe Rush did not know, but then why would he act like he did towards Young. Why is he letting on? I read some truly interesting theories here about that and I believe them to be true.

And not only that it is interesting to discuss reasons why not to tell, if he suspected or knew, even if that is just what it is, discussion and nothing more.

People have different opinions and this gives them a place to talk about the differences in opinion and their opinion and again "Why."
                              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I wouldn't trust Rush as far as I could throw him, but I don't htink he knew. He may have figured it out quickly, and even possibly suspected on some level but I don't think he knew.
                                For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Working...
                                X