Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did they get the clothes, and why train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I-Like-Pie View Post
    OK first where the hell did they get those clothes from that they are running around and jumping around in, and where did they get those sneakers.

Like did they pull out shorts and T-shirts from their behinds or what?

And how are they going to wash all that?

More importantly why the hell are they training when there is a shortage of food.

Anyone who knows anything about training knows that if you cant eat properly then the training will damage your body.
    A number of plausible explanations have been offered for where they got the PT gear and how it could be cleaned.

I don't think anyone has disagreed with your statement about the combination of malnutrition and physical exertion placing greater strain on the human body.

It is unclear at least to me if there is truly a food shortage aboard the destiny at this time, or if it is more of a lack of food variety problem. No-where have they indicated that there is a caloric intake issue.

They are rationing, but no-where have they indicated if this was from necessity, or simply conservative use of their resources.

They talked about the food being bland and the desire to create new recopies, they have attempted to forage on a planet (unclear if this was successful in the end), they are attempting to grow vegetables in some sort of hydroponics lab.

<Snipped by Moderator>
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

hey, you know, thinking about it a white shirt IS as uselful as a towel.

Hang on *pulls out "The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy"*

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
      See, a white T-shirt can help you many of those things!! (Thank you Douglas Adams! )

<Snipped by Moderator>
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:35 PM.
      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

There is no food, there is no food, there is no food to support training

You will get sick, you will get sick, you will die you will die

<Snipped by Moderator>
        I understand you.
        I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people wasting energy like that.

You people seem to not understand the problem:

Running like all physical work uses energy.
        You need to eat more to meet the increased energy demands.
        You have a limited amount of food.
        Eating more will reduce your food supply faster.
        When your food supply is gone your organs will fail and you will die.

So a prudent cause of action would be to conserve energy to buy yourself some time. You can use that time to secure more food.

I'm not sure if this is such a strange concept to you guys - I find it rather obvious.

Originally posted by beafly View Post
        Boost crew morale.
        It's not boosting morale. Some people didn't even want to train. It wouldn't surprise me if orders like this ultimately lead to mutiny.

Stay Healthier.
        Starving is not considered healthy.

Survival of the Fittest.
        Originally posted by Wikipedia
        Darwin meant it is a metaphor for "better adapted for immediate, local environment", not the common inference of "in the best physical shape"
        Ironic, isn't it?
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

S01E02:
          SPENCER
          Guess that got left behind along with the food and water.

GREER
          Uh-uh. We got food.

PALMER
          (unenthusiastic)
          Yeah, protein bars, and this powdered stuff.
          S01E03:
          YOUNG/TELFORD
          We're trying. Even if we can get the life support working, we don't have much food and water.
          These are the only 2 references I can find to the amount of food within the transcripts. They seem to contradict.

Until proven otherwise, I'm happy to assume that since Young has ordered everyone to stay or get into shape... that they have enough food on hand to do so without TJ (who would have some basic nutrition training) stopping him.

Also, since nobody seems to be withering away, we can safely assume they have enough rations for the interim.

Comment

Plus...

Wouldn't the destiny take them to whatever Rush asks for ?

Comment

Where did they get the Clothes, and sneakers
              It's not that far of a stretch to guess that maybe one of the expedition crates had PT gear in it? Although the tennis shoes in exact sizes are a bit stretching it.

Why train even though training without proper food and in quantity damages you
              The food they had was probably not that tasty, but like most military survival food, they consisted of enough calories to keep people going. And as for training, in a situation like theirs, not doing any sort of physical work out would be a terrible idea. You need something to relieve stress, which they no doubt have plenty of. Working out release that stress and keeps them in decent mental and of course physical health.

And who said there wasn't enough food? They've been on the Destiny for a few weeks now and none of them are showing signs of fatigue or starvation. And in the preview for Justice, we clearly see them tasting food they've fathered from various off world excursions. It's pretty clear that they may not have an abundance of food, but they have a comfortable amount. Have you ever thought of that? That maybe they're doing PE is because they have enough food on board to burn. Have you thought of the fact that they're not starving?

Where are they going to wash all those clothes
              If the Destiny has showers that can clean people and not use water, then it makes sense that the same substance used in the showers can be used to wash clothing.

<Snipped by Moderator>
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 November 2009, 09:40 PM.
              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

If I were Young:

I'd have everyone engaged from "sun-up to sun-down" in boot camp led by Greer and and school led by an ancient expert via the LRC stones (only to free Rush/Eli to work on the ship at that time). No hands are idle until EVERYONE is both physically competent and mentally prepared and adapted to life aboard the Destiny.
                Damn straight. Green for you. You beafly, are ready to lead a ragtag expedition to destiny. Any person that is multi-lingual ( larger propensity to learn a 3rd language) would be trained in ancient first, meaning Wray (and I think the cook speaks puerto rican accented english) would be in the first class. Nothing says " I'm gonna go screw with Rush" quite like having the nosy IOA woman reading over his shoulder!

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                  I'm with you beafly, Young needs to be getting all these stranded people working together as a "crew", although, i feel Rush would throw a tantrum if everyone started to learn ancient.
                  Why would he? It would actually free him up for real research.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    As a very much in-shape American, this stereotype that we are all fat continues to offend me... and I've met some very overweight Europeans, particular of the English/French/Italian variety...
                    Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world? Besides, a lot of people outside of the US only has the news to go by. ABC nightly news has a story on American obesity (especially among children) at least once a week. Oftentimes, more.

Either way, as soon as I read his comment I knew it would attract some flak. After all, America is the best country in the Universe, right?

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    In any event, it makes perfect sense; healthy people get sick less (they have little medicine), fit people can perform better offworld (can outrun nasty alien monsters), and should the ship ever fall under attack, these people need to know how to fight and stay on their feet long enough to do some good.
                    Exactly. I'm wondering why so many people can't understand this. Exercise strengthens the body and mind, relieves stress, make the immune system more resilient and takes the crew's mind off their predicament. Seems very worthwhile to me.

Then again, I forget just how many people would like nothing more than to see this show full of plot holes and be cancelled after a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                      Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world? Besides, a lot of people outside of the US only has the news to go by. ABC nightly news has a story on American obesity (especially among children) at least once a week. Oftentimes, more.

Either way, as soon as I read his comment I knew it would attract some flak. After all, America is the best country in the Universe, right?
                      Does the term sterotype mean anything to you?
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Per capita, I thought America had the highest obesity rate in the world?
                        We do, children especially. It's a HUGE public health concern, however, it's not just and issue in this country, it's true of all industrially developed nations. In fact, China's obesity rate (and maybe India's) is growing as well, and much faster than the rate at which it's occurring in the States.

Exactly. I'm wondering why so many people can't understand this. Exercise strengthens the body and mind, relieves stress, make the immune system more resilient and takes the crew's mind off their predicament. Seems very worthwhile to me.

Then again, I forget just how many people would like nothing more than to see this show full of plot holes and be cancelled after a season.
                        I agree with this. Plus a lot of people don't realize that when people (the millitary personnel) are used to extensive exercise, it's often difficult to quite cold turkey...though not always. As a dancer, I know that when I'm training hard, 6-9 hrs a day, and I randomly stop, the next day I have trouble getting out of bed, because my body will be soar. Though, personally, I do think the exercise would have been better executed if the military personnel were doing heavy exercise, and the civilians/scientists were doing something else. As I've often said, I can't stand Chloe, something about her, the actor just doesn't vibe well with me...but make Chloe do something useful and lead Yoga for the people less in shape. Yoga is difficult, but beginner's Yoga is a better way to make people who are unfit, fit (not talking about weight, talking about being fit). Eta: There have been many cases in which individuals who exercise regularly and quit suddenly, not only have soar-ness etc, but begin to get ill (cold, flu) very easily, and more often, because their immune system weakens with respect with what it initially was.
                        Last edited by natyanayaki; 01 December 2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I will concede, Britain is pretty bloody awful on the obesity point - particularly child obesity.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post

Its not the exercise in itself rather the basic training or special forces selection phase intensity of the exercise versus the yoga scene intensity that is bringing out the jeers.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Does the term sterotype mean anything to you?
                              Hmm? I thought stereotype typically meant an unsubstantiated or misconceived idea. Statistics show nearly 65% of Americans being overweight (10-30lbs above a healthy body weight), with 31% of that being obese (30+lbs over a healthy body weight.) Whether people like hearing about it or not, that seems like a substantiated fact rather than a stereotype.

But I guess I'm just an uneducated imbecile making wild accusations. Note, however, that I didn't defend the obesity rates of other countries. It wasn't a personal (or national) attack, I simply pointed something out.

Originally posted by Taiko View Post
                              Its not the exercise in itself rather the basic training or special forces selection phase intensity of the exercise versus the yoga scene intensity that is bringing out the jeers.
                              Well it's being led by Marines, they do what they know. I wouldn't be surprised if they learn from the early failures (Eli, Volker and Franklin) and tone it down a bit. It's all well and good to aspire to have Marine-like physique and stamina, but you've gotta start somewhere.

Comment

Stats can be misleading especially since the US is so huge in terms of population
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X