This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
    Scott said he didn't have much of a relationship with "that" girl, so why did he make a special trip to see her?
    He was handed some mail back at Homeworld, one of which was from her, saying she needed to see him.

What a horrible thing to do to another person just so you can get revenge on a "maybe" love affair? How STUPID is that!?!? Young THINKS Telford is having an affair, but Young himself DID have an affair!
    I think by that point it was more that Telford told Emily that Young was still having an affair.
    Last edited by Naonak; 21 November 2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. But After reading this thread im a bit astounded at some reactions of using the bodies to have a gay meeting.

The whole fact that young and his wife had sex just makes me sick to the stomach but most didn't have a problem with this. When it came to a lesbian fling it was diffrent strange... We the viewer see the face of the actor on Destiny but remember the person on earth does not. So how it gets from talking and having dinner to having sex is beyond me.

Comment

I really enjoyed "Life".

I know there's a sci-fi contingent out there thinking "Why aren't we running around shooting at aliens anymore! If i wanted interpersonal relationships i'd go outside" (), but after 15 seasons of generic gate-travel, learning nothing much about the people we're watching, i'm thrilled to get inside the heads of these poor travellers. As much as i love them, i never had a clue what was going through the minds of Cam Mitchell or John Sheppard. Character beats were always the first to hit the cutting room floor and that is a damn shame. Anytime i got to see them playing golf, hanging out with old buddies, fixing up cars or visiting their family home, i was downright giddy.

Anyhoo, some things i liked about the episode...

- Rush. I love the conflicted nature of this character. He's desperate to tinker with Ancient tech, but he's not willing to risk his life to do it. Also, he's not above lying to raise moral and achieve those goals. Ultimately i think he has nothing but good intentions, he just has an unfortunately sly way of going about things. I don't blame him for lying about the Naquadriah planet, as the crew desperately needed that extra spring in their step, the only downside being their finding out left them baying for his blood.

- Scott. He's in the worst possible situation a parent could ever find themselves in. Not only is his fatherhood brand new information at this late stage, but his son is living with a pro-stripping mother who neglects him. That's a nightmare i wouldn't wish on anyone. Dynamite reason for getting back to Earth if ever i heard one.

- TJ. She has the distinct honour of judging everyone aboard and is subsequently disowned because of it. Putting the label "therapist" on someone is like stamping "avoid at all costs" on their forehead. It's a logical step, but everyone is so stubborn they'll just bottle up their emotions until they explode ala Spencer. Also, if last week was anything to go by, TJ probably isn't strong enough to handle this herself. Not only is she responsible for maintaining their bodies, but now their minds. How long til she snaps...

- Hot horny female scientist boning her way through the crew. Man, i wish i was on that ship.

- Spencer. He's finally run out of meds and he's looking to pick a fight with anyone. Someone is going to end up dead, whether it's him or the target of his undeserved rage. For awhile there, i thought that one scientist was going to get beaten to a pulp, but thankfully Young made the save in the nick of time.

- The Ancient chair. I was rather surprised that it wasn't infact the bridge of the ship and some sort of control chair ala Atlantis, but i got a big kick out of all the SG1 callbacks. It can't be long before someone works up the courage to stick their head in that device. I have a feeling it'll be Rush that takes the chance, despite his initial cowardice. A few more technological deadends, arguments with Young and he'll be just about desperate enough to risk it in aid of advancing his research.

Comment

Who says those are meds could be an adiction

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Questions for TPTB:

Do the soldier volunteers (whatever they are called) who swap bodies know that their bodies could be used for sex (gay or otherwise), drinking, drugs, beating up superior officers?

What if someone hijacks their body (Young for example) and instead of doing scientific research as a scientist, that person uses them to commit assault on a fellow officer? Can the "volunteer" sue Homeland (or SGC, or whatever you are calling HQ these days)? I know I wouldn't be very happy about it!

Can we flush the stones now? If I see more of them, I'm off this show. I want to see our group start to get along, trust each other, and learn to exist on their own. There is plenty of potential to get into backstories and learn about these characters without placing them in gawd awful soap situations.

At least Greer and Park had fun. That is the sort of sex scene I don't mind viewing, but I'm sick of the drama-ridden, angsty Scott/Chloe garbage. Those two suck.

I'll watch the next episode before the break, but if it isn't a MAJOR improvement over this drivel, then I'm not coming back. I've had about enough. As for the ending song, that was way too twangy and irritating for me. No more songs - I hate that in "House" and other shows that think its so artsy. It slows everything down and takes away from the overall effect. Just tell the story, and tell it WELL.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
              Yup it sure did. I am hoping this is going to be the case here, although I don't expect it to be like Bab5 because JMS had a whole 5 year structure set up in his little bible... I guarantee these guys don't.

BUT, that doesn't mean they don't know where they are going, just that it isn't as maticulously planned.
              i doubtso too. JMS literally sat down before the show started and had it all planned to last 5 years. In fact,t hat's how he sold it, a 5 year arc of a show.

these guys....i think they've said as much that they pretty much make it up a season at a time and 'have some ideas for season two' there's no long range plan from any info i've seen

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              I disagree. I understand the moral implications however this may be the only way they get to spend any time with their loved ones there only or last chance at intimacy. I don't have an issue with it.
              There is another side to the stones. The people on earth that volunteer...they get to see and 'be' on this cool alien ship, learn stuff, bring back info, and it's RELATIVELY painless and harmless...they get to explore a galaxy away and go home and sleep in thier own bed at night

you can't tell me that that isn't tempting motivation. 'surrender' your body for a few hours in exchange for exploring and experiencing an alien ship while keeping the comforts of home

and it's not lilke the earth bound 'stoners' are doing it against their will. they're all volunteers. they know what they're getting into. they're far from helpless victims
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Loved it; loved the acting, and story lines and most of all see Young punch Telford!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  . . and it's not lilke the earth bound 'stoners' are doing it against their will. they're all volunteers. they know what they're getting into. they're far from helpless victims
                  But we don't know that. TPTB have never shown us the other side of the coin. Are these people volunteers, or are they following orders? What about Young pretending to be a scientist? The volunteer thinks a scientist is using his body to research something, but it is someone else who just wants to use his body to beat up someone he detests? Is this fair?

The stone connection broke suddenly and that poor soldier is now standing over a Colonel who he just beat up! What if Telford decided to fight back and beat this poor dude to a bloody pulp?

Its wrong, just wrong and TPTB need to show us the Earth side of this and what the guidelines are, and there should be repercussions, like Young not being allowed to use the stones again because he can't be trusted.

Comment

Lets see...

More conduct unbecoming from the military.
                    More crying.
                    Can't believe (yes I can) we had mini-therapy sessions.
                    More random sex with multiple partners.
                    More romancing the stones.
                    Almost/possibly nothing of Sci-fi value for me.

The writers have hit some new lows for me in this episode.

Scott's ex is a wannabe lawyer, now turned stripper single mom who had his baby but didn't tell him. REALLY? Get out. Well, at least they didn't say she was working her way through law school as a stripper. Because THAT would be over the top.

Something else interesting...

The military treated like (I'll be diplomatic and use the chronically pro-SGU lingo) 'flawed human beings'. The heterosexual relationships portrayed as neurotic, shallow, and/or dysfunctional. Religion, the Priest was a drunk and drank himself to death. And to be diplomatic again, Scott doesn't exactly reflect well on religion either.

But then there is the lesbian relationship. Apparently the only successful, long-term, committed, loving and tender relationship on the show.

Good job writers. I was hoping there would be moral messages like that.

Originally posted by Deevil
                    I don't think you could ever pretend that is a universal feeling, afterall there have been a lot of straight guys and gals playing gay and it doesn't bother them too much. Conversly, there have been gay guys and gals playing straight too - and they manage.
                    Managing and 'not minding' are 2 different things. If you are a guy that can make out with other guys and not mind, you are probably into it.

Actors get big pay days to 'manage' doing all sorts of things they find objectionable. I'd list some, but I know someone is just waiting to pounce and say I'm comparing 'blah' to homosexuality. For shame on me. So I think I'll forgo that.

I think the body swap sex, aside from being stupid (I guess every spouse just has no problem making out/sexing with strangers). But yes, it would be more of a violation/trauma to have residual memories of engaging in homosexuality if you are not than something heterosexual.

I think if they are going to continue romancing the stones, the writers should have Young's wife tell him that Telford carries a bigger gun, crush his uppitiness, put him in the fetal position. Would make me laugh anyway.

Comment

There is another side to the stones. The people on earth that volunteer...they get to see and 'be' on this cool alien ship, learn stuff, bring back info, and it's RELATIVELY painless and harmless...they get to explore a galaxy away and go home and sleep in thier own bed at night

you can't tell me that that isn't tempting motivation. 'surrender' your body for a few hours in exchange for exploring and experiencing an alien ship while keeping the comforts of home

and it's not lilke the earth bound 'stoners' are doing it against their will. they're all volunteers. they know what they're getting into. they're far from helpless victims
                      It used to be, but I don't think the switchers can freely roam around the Destiny anymore after the incidents in "Earth". Seems to me as if the switchers are now confined to the communication room on the Destiny while they are there.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I hadn't thought of it that way before, but you're absolutly right imo - I probably would agree to that deal!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                          Managing and 'not minding' are 2 different things. If you are a guy that can make out with other guys and not mind, you are probably into it.
                          Maybe, maybe not. The fact is we don't know every man, woman or child to even attempt to rationalise any generalisation either way.

FireCat They are very unlikely to show us Earths side, because it's a story about Destiny and her reluctant crew. We are left to make our own assumptions about how it's all flying, but I doubt that Jack would ever force anyone to body swap... I reckon he's more likely to call for volunteers in the field he needs to send over.
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                            It used to be, but I don't think the switchers can freely roam around the Destiny anymore after the incidents in "Earth". Seems to me as if the switchers are now confined to the communication room on the Destiny while they are there.
                            I think it's only Telford that they don't want roaming around. And, honestly, the Destiny crew are starting to see some of the downside as well. Earth Stoners come but the second things get touchy, wham bam, run and go home

that kind of betrayal strikes deep
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                              Maybe, maybe not. The fact is we don't know every man, woman or child to even attempt to rationalise any generalisation either way.

FireCat They are very unlikely to show us Earths side, because it's a story about Destiny and her reluctant crew. We are left to make our own assumptions about how it's all flying, but I doubt that Jack would ever force anyone to body swap... I reckon he's more likely to call for volunteers in the field he needs to send over.
                              But what about Young using that soldier's body specifically to beat up someone in a personal vendetta? He needs to face some sort of punishment for that.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                                And to be diplomatic again, Scott doesn't exactly reflect well on religion either.
                                Why not? By all indications, he's an exceedingly kind person who doesn't put himself first. He tries his best to help people and wants to make things easier for people aboard the Destiny. He's not selfish (i.e. continually letting people use the LRC stones in his place), and we haven't seen much evidence that he lies, cheats or steals.

So I'm guessing the big beef is that he's had sex before marriage, and multiple times (at least 3...)? Interesting...I'm glad to know that one "flaw" (and I am skeptical to even call it that) can outweigh all of the good characteristics.

Coming from a non-religious person, I'd say the character of Scott represents religion a hell of a lot better than many I've met in real life

But then there is the lesbian relationship. Apparently the only successful, long-term, committed, loving and tender relationship on the show.
                                Indeed. I'm sure it's the case that all of the heterosexual PTB are sending subliminal messages about the superiority of homosexual relationships

Good job writers. I was hoping there would be moral messages like that.
                                I agree. It's nice to send a message that the homosexual relationships can be just as stable, healthy and long-lasting as heterosexual relationships.
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X