Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things were just too predictable, and there will be obvious solutions to the problems.

TJ getting shot, not enough to kill her but enough to kill the baby. I think I (along with many others) predicted this outcome since we find out that she is pregnant.

Main cast members in imminent danger that could lead to death is anti-climatic. There's no way Young, Greer or Scott are gonna get killed off. Would've been more interesting if it was someone like Wray or another supporting cast member.

Unimportant character getting killed off in hostage situation for dramatic affect. Not so dramatic. Make it a supporting character who's face we've actually seen and has had at least a few lines.

Ok other than that, I enjoyed the episode Pretty good job for a season finale. I like the direction the Varro character is going, I hope they keep him on as recurring at the very least.
    sigpic

Comment

Looks like I am going to be in the minority again...

Too many things about this episode keep me from giving it a thumbs up. Yes, parts of it were interesting or even exciting, but so much just seems too contrived. Waaaay too contrived.

For example, that Kiva and Telford would be so perfect of shots that in a surprise pull both could (perhaps) mortally wound the other in a single shot. It's like watching Clint Eastwood vs. The Lone Ranger.

Still, still, there is no good reason explained in the story for why the LA would even have gone to Destiny.

The concept of the cliffhanger at season's end is overdone in modern TV, and in this case SGU really poured it on thick. It would be one thing to be left wondering if all the military were about to be executed, OR, if Telford would live, OR if the preganant Lt. would live (or her child), OR if the two outside the ship would get back in time, OR if Eli could figure out how to get himself and his woman (heh) out in time before the oxygen depletes, OR if the ship manages to survive the next burst of gamma rays, OR if Kiva survives, OR if the civilians are next in line for execution, OR....

The suspense is painted on so thick that "over the top" doesn't adequately describe what happened. It's as if the writers are trying to make this into a James Bond movie.

Here again we get to the problem of the style in which SGU has been produced. The writers have tried to make us concerned about these people as if they were real. Well, good fiction should do that. Yet when the story-line becomes too improbable then I suspend my disbelief and all of a sudden the story looks like a spoof, or mockery, of what was originally intended.

If SGU survives to season two, let us hope that producers can decide which way to go: as a serious drama, or as a super-hero flick.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
        The shot pregnant lass was no real big shocker except maybe for American audiences who seem to get holier than thou whenever a soap character gets pregnant
        I don't understand this comment. If you mean we shouldn't feel empathy for TV characters, that sort of defeats the purpose of watching a good drama like SG:U. If you mean that the US has an unusual concern for not killing babies and the rest of the world doesn't care about babies, that's just a weird comment.

If TJ lives and the baby doesn't, that's going to be a major, HUGE event for her character. Probably for Young and Chloe as well. If the writers can make realistic characters, TJ will never be the same again.

Comment

Well if you can even remember a scene with the man who got shot, I'll give you bonus points. It was only dramatic in that it was meant to reinforce Kiva's character, not so much the emotional side.

The whole reason it's a cliffhanger is that you don't really "know" who's going to live or die. Thanks to IMDB and some people who tweet, we can guess pretty well. But watching that episode, that's about as effective as you can be with it.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post

The concept of the cliffhanger at season's end is overdone in modern TV, and in this case SGU really poured it on thick. It would be one thing to be left wondering if all the military were about to be executed, OR, if Telford would live, OR if the preganant Lt. would live (or her child), OR if the two outside the ship would get back in time, OR if Eli could figure out how to get himself and his woman (heh) out in time before the oxygen depletes, OR if the ship manages to survive the next burst of gamma rays, OR if Kiva survives, OR if the civilians are next in line for execution, OR....

The suspense is painted on so thick that "over the top" doesn't adequately describe what happened. It's as if the writers are trying to make this into a James Bond movie.
            Because in real life, only two or three people are in danger at any one point in time, am I right? Do you feel me dog?

Comment

Okay, first off:

I don't get why the actors didn't like the finale, this was the best one in the franchise
              Way to create a panic, genius. Listen, the only actor comment that could be construed as "negative" was BJ Smith's comment about the finale being "upsetting and cruel." We all know why, so, again, thanks for misquoting and kicking up a fuss in the first few pages of the thread.

So let's see what we have in this thread... We've got praise for the finale, hate for the finale, cries of it being too predictable, masturbating over Atlantis (Lolwhatz? SGAz isz muchz betterz lol!111one), hate for the people praising the finale and blah blah blah blah blah.

I enjoyed the finale a lot. The only casualty I think of importance (Apart from, you know, the baby) was Riley, who got peppered with bullets in the infirmary brawl. Again, I enjoyed the finale a lot. A lot more than when I decided to read this thread. Yeesh - how many people are just watching the show and enjoying the show and that's all? They're not constantly comparing it to the former shows, constantly nitpicking... I'm starting to think I'm the only damn one.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Just to some up characters in jeopardy -

Potential body count:
                Destiny -
                TJ
                Telford
                Greer
                Scott
                Young + and soldiers
                Chloe

LA -
                Kiva

Did I miss any?

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post

Too many things about this episode keep me from giving it a thumbs up. Yes, parts of it were interesting or even exciting, but so much just seems too contrived. Waaaay too contrived.

For example, that Kiva and Telford would be so perfect of shots that in a surprise pull both could (perhaps) mortally wound the other in a single shot. It's like watching Clint Eastwood vs. The Lone Ranger.

Still, still, there is no good reason explained in the story for why the LA would even have gone to Destiny.

Here again we get to the problem of the style in which SGU has been produced. The writers have tried to make us concerned about these people as if they were real. Well, good fiction should do that. Yet when the story-line becomes too improbable then I suspend my disbelief and all of a sudden the story looks like a spoof, or mockery, of what was originally intended.

If SGU survives to season two, let us hope that producers can decide which way to go: as a serious drama, or as a super-hero flick.
                  If SGU survives TO season 2? There will be a season 2. Filming has already started and 2/3 of the episodes have titles. I think all of the "OR" questions is quite different from either of the Stargate series finales. It maybe a lot of questions but it brings to light just how many different outcomes can come out of this. I don't fail the writers from trying something different. I think that is why some many people on this thread thought this ending was so good. I myself enjoyed not only this episode but the entire season.

I do agree that we still don't really know why the LA wants Destiny and loved Clint Eastwood and the Lone Ranger.

The writers want to keep it real and authentic but it is television and I was entertained. I still think that the time between seasons is not viewer/fan friendly. They could start the season earlier once the first 10 or 12 episodes are in the can while still be filming the back half of the season.

I give it a thumbs up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                    And I hope this LA plot doesn't last too much longer. I liked it at first, but it is getting a little tired now. Well we have four months to theorize about next season. Let's take our time!
                    I think the whole point of the LA plot was to get new people on the ship. I love what they've done with the LA but it seems I'm in the minority. lol... But really... when the dust settles we'll have some new peeps that arrived before our eyes rather then the 'Lost' method of just throwing new faces in and hoping we weren't keeping track of every last flying body through the gate in the pilot... which most of us were
                    "Specialization is for Insects" - Heinlein -

Comment

I don't even know what to say, except that the final scene, of the SG military personnel going down on their knees, presumably to be executed, with Young standing there, was really powerful and I can't freakin' believe I have to wait until October for the rest.
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

My concern about the LA is not so much that I don't like them, it's that I'm not sure they've done enough with the people they already have. I still don't think I know Riley, James, and most of the principal cast in an intimate way yet. Now they're going to have to teach me about hoards of new people who are completely different?

I don't hate what they're doing, but I am afraid they might muddy the waters up too much and that the narrative just becomes a mess.

And you know what I loved about that scene carmentcatalina? That they fade out with the pulsar so right as Young is staring up, wondering what happened, we suddenly snap back and remember those outside.
                        Last edited by Azzers; 11 June 2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

And actually... I'm pretty irritated that the 2nd Icarus planet blew up. I guess they didn't want too many connections to either of the two previous shows but I think it would have been incredible to have a team of people recovering the data from the 2nd Icaruss planet and working to connect to Destiny. I can only imagine the writers have bigger and better plans. Or, at least.. They Better!!
                          "Specialization is for Insects" - Heinlein -

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            Some things were just too predictable, and there will be obvious solutions to the problems.

TJ getting shot, not enough to kill her but enough to kill the baby. I think I (along with many others) predicted this outcome since we find out that she is pregnant.

Main cast members in imminent danger that could lead to death is anti-climatic. There's no way Young, Greer or Scott are gonna get killed off. Would've been more interesting if it was someone like Wray or another supporting cast member.

Unimportant character getting killed off in hostage situation for dramatic affect. Not so dramatic. Make it a supporting character who's face we've actually seen and has had at least a few lines.

Ok other than that, I enjoyed the episode Pretty good job for a season finale. I like the direction the Varro character is going, I hope they keep him on as recurring at the very least.
                            Well that was productive...........
                            Tst

Comment

I'm not even going to bother comparing this to any other SG's. SGU stands alone. It has a different feel to it (more dramatic, I think - personal opinion). This was an awesome season and an amazing season finale. The cliffhangers are going to drive me insane. October can't come fast enough! I'm going to have to find something else to distract myself until then....not going to be easy. Any suggestions? I've seen ALL of SG-1 (including all the movies) and I'm working on seasons 4-5 of SGA. Need.....MOAR!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Well I have to say I was worried about the season finale and my worries were pretty unjustified. I assumed they were going to kill off a bunch of characters but all the ones I was worried about made it out. Volker, Brody, James, and Park all made it. I'm worried about Riley but I'm pretty sure I saw him moving after the shooting.

The only people in any real danger were the main cast. And since their the main cast their all safe, they never die, they just fall unconsious for the finale and wake up next episode. The secondary characters are the only ones I ever worry about because they don't go unconsious they just die.
                                sigpic
                                Doci of the BAG

Comment

Working...
                                X