Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this episode, shows another side of Rush, as well as the acting ability of RC..

As for Jackson not acting like Jackson, it wasnt Jackson, it was Rush's view of Jackson sooo....

Comment

I wondered why they even went into that maze. But good episode. And Rush was awesome, as most agree.
      Now people are left behind, and i guess in the next ep. they will try to save them somehow. Very exciting. I didn't like the look of that CGI spider. But it was scary I guess...

Comment

That spider was just trying to make friends. All he wanted to do was greet the new people but they shot him. Humans always got to go into some alien spider's home and start shooting up the place.

Pretty good acting job by the actor playing Rush. He carried the episode well. I also liked the mini Greer flashback.

Comment

Oh dear, that's a cliffhanger with the 4 of them trapped in the tunnel. I hope Chloe and Matt don't do what they usually do when faced with death. lol.
          Interesting to see Rush and his wife, he seems to have been a nicer person before she died, totally understandably.
          Rush seemed to be a lot more in control of the chair, unlike Franklin (?). Maybe they'd done work on the chair? Or Rush's brain is just more powerful? Maybe he's a Sheldon Cooper type.
          Poor Greer, he's obviously had a bad childhood
          ~~~I like to see both sides of things~~~

Comment

As you got an idea how Rush has been before in this episode, you may be able to see how the death of his wife changed him. And you can imagine how badly he coped to that, different but in a way comparative to what happened to Young when he's lost people in a (not closer explained) combat before he tried to get a quiet job at the Ikarus-base. Both handled their losses very poorly, never get really counselled in a proper way afterwards. And now Rush is so callous that it looks sometimes as if he never cares about anyone, tho this is not really true.
            I explained what happened in this entry here on GW, and I recommend, if you are interested in background meta to read the article from Mika McKinnon about this episode.

Rush is not really more in control of the chair but he wrote a computer program to use the chair without being brain damaged. The computer readings Rush took after Franklin sat in that chair (in Justice) made this possible, otherwise Rush would have faced the same fate as Franklin.
            Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 14 January 2015, 11:01 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

I think its very unlikely that anyone would cope well with a death close to them. Counselling is very important for people, even just someone to listen who doesn't try to find a solution or try to brush their feelings under the carpet.
              But I bet neither Rush nor Young are the type to go looking for counselling, they're macho men who don't like showing their feelings

Comment

Though I'm not absolutely sure whether it is true, but I always have the impression that the military is not fond enough of counselling their soldiers after traumatic situations, so that may be the reason for Young, but I'd also say he's a typical macho.
                With Rush it's different. He's extreme introvert and those folks aren't very comfortable to talk to other people about personal problems (I know what I'm talking about), but I think he isn't a macho. The most important reason for him to affront people is to keep them a far away from him as possible, whereas Young intimidates people in a classical macho style way, as in, coming close, threatening people, starting to get loud, etc. You'll see this in further episodes once and a while.
                Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 14 January 2015, 11:01 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

For Rush to be married, he strikes me as the sort of person that doesnt let people in easily, for that person to be let in, him invest time and emmotion into that person, and then have that person die, I can see why he's not exactly a people person.

Comment

Yes, I understand Rush far better than Young, he seems a fairly typical man to me- doesn't talk about his feelings, keeps it all inside. I think its also significant that Rush is British/Scottish. We don't like showing our feelings in Britain and its only recently we've embraced counselling- its still seen as wussy, especially for men.
                    I'm not even sure Young is a typical soldier, he seems a lot more caring than most soldiers, so does Scott. Except when Young's trying to kill someone of course, lol.
                    You're right about the military not being fond of counselling, Artemis

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieAnn View Post
                      Yes, I understand Rush far better than Young, he seems a fairly typical man to me- doesn't talk about his feelings, keeps it all inside. I think its also significant that Rush is British/Scottish. We don't like showing our feelings in Britain and its only recently we've embraced counselling- its still seen as wussy, especially for men.
                      I'm not even sure Young is a typical soldier, he seems a lot more caring than most soldiers, so does Scott. Except when Young's trying to kill someone of course, lol.
                      You're right about the military not being fond of counselling, Artemis
                      Young being caring is part of his problem. That does not mean it's a bad thing, of course it's not. No, the problem is: actually he's not more than others would be. He has no problem to leave a man for dead on a planet, without water or anything else, he cared zero about what could happen, and he clearly said that later to Rush. He cares as long it is not Rush or some other enemy, but then he really does, which goes so far that he'd rather prefer that everyone on Destiny would be killed, than to make one of those hard decisions, as he calls it. And that is the real problem he needs to face and does not.

For me Rush is by far more understandable than Young is. I've actually no idea how he ticks, he too irrational for my taste.
                      sigpic

Comment

The trouble with Young is, he feels powerless because there aren't any battles to be fought. He's just hanging around fiddling with the Destiny and not doing anything definite or achieving anything. I don't think he knows himself very well, or even likes himself very much. And I think he's hiding or suppressing something from his past which he doesn't like.
                        It's obvious what Rush is suppressing so he's more understandable to me.

Comment

If he'd ever be good at fighting battles, but he can't even that do the way he should be able to do, all due to his never really treated PTSD, with a full grown up depression coming out at some occasions. I can understand that men think they don't need help, but I don't understand why he refuses to listen to other people around him. That's what I dislike. He has no idea about the technique of the ship, we see him never trying to get used to it, and the only solution for problems is to scream "fix it!"
                          But there's also one thing I always missed about his characterization: we never got a background story for him, which give us more informations about why he behaves the way de does, like we get with Rush. Was it because the good soldier of Stargate is supposed to do always the right thing and is by usual SG fans automatically forgiven if he does not?
                          sigpic

Comment

A double post, sorry!

Comment

Yes, that is weird, I was wondering what his backstory is. I like him though, he means well IMO. Well, so far! Maybe he turns super evil in future episodes.

Its Telford who's the baddie, I bet he was having an affair with Young's wife behind his back and that is why she had sex with him/Young that time.

Comment

There's no question for me that Young wants to do the right thing, and often does, but in some cases he plainly failed, and never asks whether it's maybe his own fault. And I think some of the problems he had e.g. with Rush simply were his own fault.
                                Telford is not a baddie, he's a soldier by the book, in everything, and that includes don't have an affair with the wife of your former buddy behind his back. But, to be honest I so loved to hate him!
                                Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 15 January 2015, 05:39 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X