This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
    An advanced race would also limit their growth. Just because people on earth breed like wild rabbits does not mean every race does.
    The ones that don't become extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      That is so far fetched. Thier is no information that the ascended Ancients were involved, it makes no sense for the Ancients to go this this far out since creating such a thing would take time, and finally their is no indication that ascended powers can do that
      It makes perfect sense. Just because they ascended doesn't mean they are no longer explorers. They aren't all knowing they wouldn't know what has been happening with the Destiny. And look at the things non-ascended Ancients did. Time Travel. Extra-dimensional travel. ZPMs. SUPER ZPMS (Arcturus) Stargates. A portal capable of traveling across the universe. Cloaking devices, personal shields. Atlantis, whos shields are so strong it can stop solar flares and novas. And now look at Ascended Ancients. They can create devices to kill energy beings. The phase technology. Destroy all life on planets. Control the elements. Why is it so far fetched to believe they can create a solar system?

I don't see why you find it easier to believe a corporeal race created a solar system but not ascended beings.

I am betting the seeder ships are only a thousand or so years ahead of the Destiny. Unsure completely cuz they would need time to collect materials and plant gates. But something seems to have created a planet and a solar system and artificially progressed them. I just find it easier to believe powerful ascended beings could do it then a race.

Comment

An advanced race would also limit their growth. Just because people on earth breed like wild rabbits does not mean every race does.
        I would agree with this. Any truly advanced civilization would realize that limiting your population is important to reducing conflicts.

Just because we fight and constantly consume more and more does not mean that other races do. The "negative" attitudes the other poster was basing their assumptions on, are the attitudes of what people presently do and not on alternatives that exist and especially not on the logic of advanced alien civilizations. I would say that no one on this planet could do that.

Comment

I find it hard to believe it was the ancients because:
          a.) we have never seen them use that kind of power before.
          b.) there are easier alternatives in place like powering the stargate
          c.) all those things they created were great, but they all took a lot of time to do
          d.) Rush or someone mentions unfamiliar markings on the obelisk.
          e.) Why wouldn't they leave some sort of message for them?

Comment

That is so far fetched. Thier is no information that the ascended Ancients were involved, it makes no sense for the Ancients to go this this far out since creating such a thing would take time, and finally their is no indication that ascended powers can do that
            One of my biggest beefs with the concept of ascended beings in sci fi series is it creates an artificial plot device that the writers can whip out of the closet any time they want to fix something. They're basically a genie, or a magic wand, and not that much more inventive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
              One of my biggest beefs with the concept of ascended beings in sci fi series is it creates an artificial plot device that the writers can whip out of the closet any time they want to fix something. They're basically a genie, or a magic wand, and not that much more inventive.
              I kind of agree. TV shows are not books. They don't have the time to explain everything so when conversations such as these arrive it is all speculation as to what is capable.

Also the comment from Alaina Huffman in an interview with moviefone -

"I think we have an ability to reach a huge audience and take these questions that we could experience -- race, religion, cultural boundaries -- and it won't offend anybody because we're talking about aliens and we're not talking about specific religions. We do have an episode coming up called 'Faith,' and it explores the idea of faith and possibly the Ancients as saviors. We're not talking about a Messiah of one particular religion, we're speaking about the idea of believing that something greater than us exists. And I think that's a really great topic to talk about and not to go over to war over.

Comment

I don't see the writers ever creating a race more advanced then the Ancients were.
                Granted, by the end of Atlantis the writers had basically turned the Ancients into buffoons, still I wasn't getting why the mystery aliens were supposed to be all that. Potentially interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                  Granted, by the end of Atlantis the writers had basically turned the Ancients into buffoons, still I wasn't getting why the mystery aliens were supposed to be all that. Potentially interesting though.
                  Atlantis kind of a mistake. They had to make the ancients look sort of dumb to make the show work. Otherwise we would be fighting an enemy that was actually stronger then the Ancients which would be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Just fyi...

Music used in tonight's episode - All My Days by Alexi Murdoch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5IQoIYvTM
                    thank you for that link, it's a beautiful choice

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
                    Yeah. It was a nice change of pace. I knew the song this time in the montage. It fit perfectly.
                    I thought the same thing when it began.

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                    The ascended ones can.
                    The Destiny itself has provided so much for them already. It makes me wonder if the Destiny presented this, right when it was needed?

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    I really enjoyed this episode. I won't go into big specifics though, as most people here are summing up what I'd have to say on the matter.

However, I didn't really see this mentioned yet...so I'll bring it up (apologies if anyone did, ).

The episode was called "Faith", after all...and I think this was played up pretty creatively by the writers. Case in point, Dr. Caine. I thought it was very, very interesting the idea of having faith in something such as this. And I think I enjoyed it so much because the writers actually used the opportunity to show how faith (by its very definition) works.

Dr. Caine was convinced there had to be some sort of benevolent force at work here, and I can't entirely blame him for it! And the way they played up his growing commitment to this idea in the month they were on the planet was very interesting to me. He was willing to risk staying on the planet (and the dangers that entails) due to his faith in something he could ultimately never be sure of. And my views on such faith aside, I found it incredibly fascinating.

This is not meant as a condemnation or praise of this either. I just thought it was an interesting observation.
                    this is one of the things I'm really liking about this Stargate, dealing with the bigger issues like this.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

It makes perfect sense. Just because they ascended doesn't mean they are no longer explorers. They aren't all knowing they wouldn't know what has been happening with the Destiny. And look at the things non-ascended Ancients did. Time Travel. Extra-dimensional travel. ZPMs. SUPER ZPMS (Arcturus) Stargates. A portal capable of traveling across the universe. Cloaking devices, personal shields. Atlantis, whos shields are so strong it can stop solar flares and novas. And now look at Ascended Ancients. They can create devices to kill energy beings. The phase technology. Destroy all life on planets. Control the elements. Why is it so far fetched to believe they can create a solar system?

I don't see why you find it easier to believe a corporeal race created a solar system but not ascended beings.

I am betting the seeder ships are only a thousand or so years ahead of the Destiny. Unsure completely cuz they would need time to collect materials and plant gates. But something seems to have created a planet and a solar system and artificially progressed them. I just find it easier to believe powerful ascended beings could do it then a race.
                      Because its too easy and predictable. I want something new beside the ultra magic Ancients. And the oblisek doesn't look Ancient in design and it doesn't fit their standard practice
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Because its too easy and predictable. I want something new beside the ultra magic Ancients. And the oblisek doesn't look Ancient in design and it doesn't fit their standard practice
                        I understand where your coming from. We can agree to disagree And we didn't see nearly enough of the Ancients to say the obelisk didn't look like an ancient design.

My underlying love for Stargate is the Ancients and me wanting to see/learn more about them so maybe I just want me theory to be right.

Comment

So here are my views and thoughts, sorry if it repeats anybody elses

Loved the character development in this eppy, and thought it was very interesting the switching sides of Rush and Young. No flipping way would you get me to stay on that planet. I think it’s cool the military is trying to patch things up and people are starting to come together. It’s nice to see people laughing. Anytime I see people laughing though, only makes me think…that can’t last for long lol.

Greer, yeah he rocks. Seriously I love his whole demeanor and the way he speaks. Eating the “looks like a kiwi” scene was hilarious.

I also like the fact, they had one who was more into “it’s meant to be,” and the other view of somebody thinking it was a bunch of b.s. That is real life, so many different opinions.

The Matt and TJ scene was touching, and I find it neat that immediately Matt was willing to stay and protect those who did not want to go back.

The conclusion, yeah Young rocks. I really could not think how they were going to get them back on the ship, and I just loved how he was like this is how its going to be and you will like it.
                          Not the most action packed, but I liked the episode. Thought it was nice!

Comment

I understand where your coming from. We can agree to disagree And we didn't see nearly enough of the Ancients to say the obelisk didn't look like an ancient design.
                            I though SG1, SGA, and now the Destiny was enough to show Ancient architecture
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

ahhh the one true cylon god is now helping the crew of the destiny sweetness.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I though SG1, SGA, and now the Destiny was enough to show Ancient architecture
                                We saw no details at all really of the Obelisk. But I will give you that I don't think the Ancients would have had writing all over the obelisk. And writing in a different language. At least I assume different, unless the crew no longer recognizes Ancient.

Comment

Working...
                                X