This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    But I would have liked to have known if anyone stayed behind though. that's bugged me.
    But that's why you gotta tune into the next episode, or maybe the next or the next after that before you get the answer LOL

Seriously, I love the way SGU has started the 2nd half of Season 1 and hope they keep it up.
    Spoiler:
    I was wondering how they would deal with Rush and Chloe/Scott from the previous episode and think they did a good job. I mean, some shows may have had Rush back at work (like he never had surgery) or Chloe/Scott back to normal instead of going through the motions of (trying) to patch things up.

Spoiler:
    Yea, Rush went back to work too early, but he's suffering from his decision now. Will he have set backs in the next episode? Maybe, maybe not. Will Chloe and Scott make amends or will Chloe turn to Eli? Is this the beginning of a love triangle? (cringes at the thought). TJ and Young ... hmmm ... I'm guess she'll eventually tell him and then what will happen?

Everything is not wrapped up at the end of the episode all nice and tidy with a bow on it. While I love SG1 and that was the case with many (or most) of the episodes, it's not that way with SGU and that's my draw to this show. It's different and I'm starting to love it for being so different ...

Comment

Wow they used another alexi song. The mood of his music fit the tone of sgu quite well. Kinda sucks that some people were left behind. ((( stupid dr. Caine. I'm even a Christian and even if God spoke to me and told me hey look I made a new garden of eden for you I still wouldn't stay. Say the campers change their mind and want to get home. They can't leave the planet. At least destiny has the ability to cross vast distances and even dial earth at some point. It's just totally stupid. Lol
      sigpic

Comment

This was the first episode of SGU to really disappoint me. Great visuals of the shuttle flying through the atmosphere, a bit of comedy from Greer in one scene, but other than that NOTHING HAPPENED!

Granted it was confirmed that
        Spoiler:
        TJ is pregnant and Young is the father
        but I think enough hints had been dropped already that it wasn't exactly a big revelation.

We don't get to meet the aliens who built the planet or even find out why they built it. No answers on either of those two fronts. Its not mentioned what happened to the Senator's body (which was in the shuttle they just fixed). The only thing that did happen was that James and Rush may have found a "robot" but once again we don't know anything beyond what it looks like.

Lots of questions, no answers, and a flimsy excuse to call an episode "Faith" when it was only one person who even really brought up the subject of faith at all.

Hopefully the aliens who built this planet will make an appearance sooner than later. They'd better. Or this was a waste of an episode.

Trailer for next week's ep looks good though.

Comment

Yeah. It was a nice change of pace. I knew the song this time in the montage. It fit perfectly.
          sigpic
          Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
            ....I'd bet they're not hostile though....
            Given what we know about living organisms, I'd say it's quite likely they are hostile. In a universe full of competing species, there would be no way for them to survive, and thrive if they weren't.

Comment

I wanted the montage at the end to be longer though.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
                Given what we know about living organisms, I'd say it's quite likely they are hostile. In a universe full of competing species, there would be no way for them to survive, and thrive if they weren't.
                They made their own planet?

Solar system?

>.<

But lots of species... like the Nox. They Aren't hostel.

Comment

You don't have to be hostile to survive. Just willing and able to defend yourself.

Comment

With the exception of not being told if anyone stayed behind (I got the feeling Caine did, but a parting shot of him standing on the planet watching the obelisk would have been nice), that episode was incredible. A perfect balance of character interaction, awesome special effects, an interesting A and B plot, and great continuation on past installments. I loved how the writers chose not to explain anything about the star system or planet that they would have no way to figure out. Very realistic, and it fit in with the theme of faith versus reason perfectly. After so many years of the acceptance that there are no real gods, a situation really pushing a skeptic's (such as myself) ability to argue with how perfect the appearance of a paradise was came off refreshing and thought provoking. Not to mention the possible introduction of a race that surpasses even the Ancients in terms of advancement. This far out in the universe, anything's possible.

"Faith" gets ***1/2 stars from me.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      Not to mention the possible introduction of a race that surpasses even the Ancients in terms of advancement. This far out in the universe, anything's possible.
                      I don't see the writers ever creating a race more advanced then the Ancients were.

Comment

what are the odds/I really hope we see the team that was left behind swoop in at a deep dark moment in three seasons' time having befriended the benign and powerful aliens that created the solar system, and come looking for the Destiny to take it home....

I just hope we haven't heard the last of whoever might have created that solar system and planet.

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom View Post
                          what are the odds/I really hope we see the team that was left behind swoop in at a deep dark moment in three seasons' time having befriended the benign and powerful aliens that created the solar system, and come looking for the Destiny to take it home....

I just hope we haven't heard the last of whoever might have created that solar system and planet.
                          Either way I just want to find out more. I love having my questions answered.

Comment

I think the ascended Ancients made an exception just this once and made that solar system for them.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                              I don't see the writers ever creating a race more advanced then the Ancients were.
                              I would defiantly consider these aliens more advanced then the Ancients. The Ancients can't even come close to building a sun or planet.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Jelgate’s Two Cents
                                I guess after stellar episode like Space and Divided they all can’t be winners. That is not to say that Faith is in any way a bad episode. Its just I think it does not live up the previous. I just think it lacked a central story to pull it together and while a man of faith I think the writers tried to be a little too political correct in people who believe in a certain faith. Come on show some of the characters having a little passion in their beliefs. But I’m getting ahead myself as usual. You know where we are going.

I liked the opening scene with TJ. And because I’m a spoiler junkie I already knew what was wrong with her and why she looked so terrible. A fellow friend said it was obvious about TJ being pregnant. And I have to disagree with that statement. If I didn’t know what I know about TJ in the first scene I would say she was stressed out. Which is more then understandable given the stress and hazards the Destiny brings. I like the recall of the mutiny. How Young is quite vague in that the military will make a contribution. I can understand where he is coming from. He is trying to find a common ground between both sides which is not easy given the hostility on Destiny. But it’s not like he can give up his control without creating anarchy. Also I quite like the distance we saw for Chloe and Scott. I wanted their to be a rough patch because of Chloe’s betrayal. It came across as they don’t hate each other but the two are uncomfortable with one another. Very realistic for me.

The little mystery of the new planet and sun was a complete mystery with a science fiction twist you do not hear much of. And I loved it. The concept of artificially creating a sun and planet is so crazy it’s cool. And the Trek geek in me laughed at Eli. Back to the planet and subsequently the obelisk you have to wonder, what were the alien’s intents? Why did they build the planet and more importantly what was the obelisk for? I guess that is the point of this episode. After all it’s called Faith. It’s about trusting that the mysterious aliens did it for the right reason. The place was practically a paradise with the fresh water and edible vegetation. Although I will say Greer wasn’t that bright in eating the alien kiwi.

I’m at a crossroad here in my review. Do I talk about the month camping trip first or the incursion into life on the Destiny. I’ve chosen since less happened on the Destiny let start there and then we can move to the planet. I like how the writers learned their mistake from Atlantis about exploring the ship. That is something refreshing about SGU how we see Rush in conjunction with a team led by Lt. James. It’s something I like seeing especially when we see that robot. I am in awe and curiosity how that robot will be used in future episode of Universe. More importantly I like seeing Rush and Young getting along. As evident by the banter they had after finding the robot they don’t like each other but at least the two are getting along. This leads us to the shuttle. Before we go on what in the world do they do to Sen. Armstrong? Last I knew his corpse was rioting in the shuttle Park and Brody were fixing and now he is mysteriously gone. As for shuttle despite Brody and Park’s best work the shuttle is still significantly weaker then the one Scott piloted. It makes me wonder. Why is this one in so much worse state then the one we the audience are used too? I refuse to believe that a broken window would cause all that damage compared to the original shuttle.

And now to the planet part of this episode review. I absolutely loved how cold Scott was to Chloe when she was looking for a team. Like I said above I want the events of Divided to cause friction for the Scott and Chloe ship. After what happened they should not be on good terms. Speaking of Scott you can see his frustration where very few people know how to set up camping. As a fellow camper I know it’s not for everyone. Not everyone can handle the roughness that come with camping like lack of proper toiletries. Speaking of bathrooms (this is going to be a gross review) Greer, the background marine and the red haired scientist was another thing I love about SGU. The show has great continuity. Despite best intentions there is still a lot of friction between the civilians and the military personal. I’m telling you I love this more thought out continuity,

Ah TJ. Poor little TJ. This was the episode for. She had so many ranges of emotions in this episode from being joyful of this utopia to the point she was crying because of the realization of being pregnant. I am kind of surprised that TJ told Chloe she was pregnant. She didn’t much care for Chloe last week so it’s a little surprising that TJ confided in Chloe. An on another note it shows the range of Alaina Huffman’s acting ability that she can switch from so many emotions. The part where she says to Scott and both Young that she does not want to leave speaks to her character and shows more who she is. We really haven’t seen much on TJ and what she is like so this episode brought in perspective into what kind of person TJ is and what she stands for.

The discussion of faith (and the connection the obelisk has) between Dr. Cain, Scott and certain non-believing scientists was an interesting one. Let’s just get it out into the open. I’m a men of faith and I believe in some things are unexplainable. This is nondebatable for anyone who disagrees with my beliefs. But as a result to a certain extend I agreed with Dr. Caine’s group a lot more then the others. I find there is just too much good to be true. This is too much of a good thing. All that happened with a nice planet seems like something besides normal science is at work. I’m inclined to believe that their was a purpose to the planet. It makes me ever more curious to what the glowing obelisk meant.

We are almost to the end my loyal readers. I find Rush such a hypocrite after he (and Young and Wray) learn that people want to stay on the planet. First he is complaining about excessive force in Divided and now Rush wants to use excessive force. The part about Young forcing military personnel was obvious when he told Wray he could only force some of them to come back. I suppose he could have forced everyone to come back but that would have invoked another mutiny similar to Divided. So this worked well in my book

Young’s speech reminds why I keep on defending this man. He may have done some damn well questionable things but deep down I seriously think he thinks about the better of the crew. He knew when he forced the military to return many civilians to follow. It’s a compromise if you well. Not losing all the valuable personnel you need but at the same no one is being forced to leave. This is also where I draw the line and stop agreeing with Dr. Caine. Yes Faith is important and their may be a higher power at work here. But you don’t start making senseless decisions because of that belief. Sure the planet is fine now but what if the nights killed you or the aliens who built a planet decide to kill you? It’s not worth the risk. I clearly think Destiny is the safer option.

I am thoroughly enjoyed about Young’s comment about liking a game of chess. Maybe there is hope for him and Rush to get along. They still have to bicker though after all what would SGU be if their wasn’t bickering? The discussion between Scott and Young was equally enlightening because you can’t let your beliefs cloud command decisions. To do so would alienate people under your command. Finally TJ crying while everyone else is partying is perfect for me. I think it speaks a lot about TJ in that she puts on a brave face despite hating the Destiny and what it would be like raising a child there. A nice good ender. One thing I forgot to mention about TJ is the fact that Scott knew about TV’s affair with Young speaks a lot about the friendship TJ and Scott have
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X