This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myutopian View Post
    My one question is why would it take a month for the ship to fly around a sun and make a course correction? It took a tiny fraction of that time when it ran out of power and flew into a sun to refuel before continuing on... If it was the existence of the planet itself that triggered the stop (as in, hey, go explore this), then it should have made it easier to actually go and explore by using the planet to slingshot around?
    Not the same situation. Destiny didn't drop out of FTL in order to explore the planet - that was the whole point, it wasn't on any charts. By not travelling through hyperspace, it was subjected to forces encountered in real space. Unless I'm mistaken, Rush said that the gravitational field disrupted the FTL. With Darkness/Light, the ship dropped out according to information gathered by the seeder ships. It might have something to do with the exact positions of the star and planet in relation to the Destiny when it came out, including distance between the celestial bodies. We don't really have any way of comparing the two situations. It might also be that the Destiny was moving slower this time around. At the end of the day, they can come up with any number of reasons to fit the plot's needs.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'd consider the ability to create a solar system more advanced than shedding your physical form and becoming pure energy. If you're talking about technological advancements it's definitely ahead of anything the Ancients did (that we know of), but immortality is a more advanced achievement in my eyes.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

In spite of no action or obvious alien's in this episode I thought it was good.

I like the idea of the mysterious lone perfect planet and star seemingly popping up out of nowhere (relatively speaking). Certainly when Rush+Eli+Volker(?) were discussing the star and the planet my nerd senses were tingling Kept on thinking "Ancients. Oma Desala, she's made planet's before....", but that's just the SG-1 fanboy talking.

Now for the obligatory complaint. I think there should have been more teasing about the alien tower, or simply the alien nature of the planet and star. Yes, more. I didn't really care about the "faith" aspect; that the planet was just put there for their benefit by some unseen alien/deity. I don't know, alien writing, more time up close with the tower...... the strange light from the tower was not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          This wasn't made clear if he stayed behind or not.

We don't know yet.

But he wasn't seen with the rest of the group, or eating at the tables.

The creators didn't put animals on it. that's my guess?
          Young said they could stay if they wanted as long as the military personnel returned to the ship, and they did so I'm pretty sure he let the civilians stay.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Liked this episode alot! I think mainly because Space and Divided have satiated my craving for some alien action (for now) and it was nice to see something good happen for the crew.

Poor TJ...

Liked the Young I saw in this episode, he was really trying to build some bridges.

Eli and Wray have some good moments which was nice to see.

Robert Carlyle continues to blow me away! Would have been nice if he had a more time in this ep.. maybe on the planet tinkering with the tower... would have been nice to even have some little piece of info on the creators just to spark the speculation.

Hmm so its a robot??

I know it wasn't very clear at the end if people stayed or not but from what I gathered, most of the remaining civillians stayed. With TJ and Scott being ordered back then obviously Chloe doesn't want to leave Scott so she comes back too (plus they're some of our main characters ). But i'm pretty sure the rest stayed and they had to leave the broken shuttle of course.

Overall I really liked this episode, was nice to see people getting along better and getting some nice food which is definately going to do wonders for morale. The end scene where Rush is carving some chess pieces is a good one, I like Young and Rush's little moment there, maybe there's hope for them yet? Although you never know what's going on in Rush's head, and Carlyle conveys that so well when you watch him.

Anyway I'm done..

Overall 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
              I'm not sure if I'd consider the ability to create a solar system more advanced than shedding your physical form and becoming pure energy. If you're talking about technological advancements it's definitely ahead of anything the Ancients did (that we know of), but immortality is a more advanced achievement in my eyes.
              I don't know about that. In the SG-1 episode "2010" (LOL!) the Aschen were at the point of turning Jupiter into a little sun, so maybe Ancients did have the ability to make stars and planets...

Comment

That episode was all about character as there was almost no plot development. We get to learn TJ's pregnant with Young baby while the crew interact with each other again after the tense event in Divided.

It was a slow and uneventful episode. The type I hate and would get me to stop watching Stargate. But somehow didn't completely bore me.

There was some mystery surrounding the planet but nothing came out of it. Maybe they will come back to it and we will see the aliens who build that place again later. I would have prefer if there was more to that planet to explore (we didn't even get to see the obelisk close). Good acting by the actress behind TJ. When the episode ended I was like: "that's it?". For some reason the episode reminded me of Light in the way the crew get separated to start life on a planet.

I still will give it a respectable 6/10 grade. Better than the maybe 3 or 4 I gave (or should have given) Earth and Life.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                  like: "that's it?". For some reason the episode reminded me of Light in the way the crew get separated to start life on a planet.

I still will give it a respectable 6/10 grade. Better than the maybe 3 or 4 I gave (or should have given) Earth and Life.
                  You're getting soft in your old age, Zelix.
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    That episode was all about character as there was almost no plot development. We get to learn TJ's pregnant with Young baby while the crew interact with each other again after the tense event in Divided.

It was a slow and uneventful episode. The type I hate and would get me to stop watching Stargate. But somehow didn't completely bore me.

There was some mystery surrounding the planet but nothing came out of it. Maybe they will come back to it and we will see the aliens who build that place again later. I would have prefer if there was more to that planet to explore (we didn't even get to see the obelisk close). Good acting by the actress behind TJ. When the episode ended I was like: "that's it?". For some reason the episode reminded me of Light in the way the crew get separated to start life on a planet.

yep 100% agree. though there was no action in the episode, it was very interesting.

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

Originally posted by FoX-1028 View Post
                      yep 100% agree. though there was no action in the episode, it was very interesting.
                      I wouldn't go as far as *very* interesting, more like watchable. Even if there was a mysterious Obelisk, in practical term it turned out to be another empty planet again.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                        I think I'll have to let things settle in my mind for a while, but right now...I'm pretty close to up-right HATING this episode. Unless they actually revisit the alien civilization, this was the most pointless episode in the entire series. Nothing happens and the stay/leave conflict feels shallow.

Not only does the debate generated not really develop into a debate - it's more a case of one side simply saying "there's a reason why we're here", the other saying "no"(Scott pretty much repeats the same line within 2 minutes to 2 different people) - but the situation itself is absurd to me. Whereas with Divided things played out in a manner in which I could buy a revolt even so early in the show(Young's actions against Rush being the catalyst), this truly was a case of "Let's do BSG", but far too soon. They've been on Destiny for less than 4 months. As Scott put it, as long as there's a gate, there's hope for more. It just doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever...

There were a few seeds for the future planted, with what I assume to be those repair droids or whatever, but aside from the fact that they lost some people(who's next on James' "hot male" list now that Caine's gone?) and good acting from Alaina Huffman, there was pretty much nothing worth remembering in this episode, aside from that beautiful shot of the Destiny angling around the sun.

Waste of an episode and a momentum-killer. Watch the ratings plummet for Human(and that's yet ANOTHER character-centric episode with little action, so I expect Lost to drop down to Caprica levels). The core idea of an alien-made star system is cool, but that's it. Lesson for the future: no more freelancer screenwriters, please.

This is the first episode in which I don't even have a SINGLE scene I'd like to rewatch. Even Life, which was my least-favorite, had more things going for it. Extremely disappointed.
                        5/10
                        Yeah the ep did seem like it was missing something, and it seemed very predictable. Folks make comments about SG-1 and SGA's writing and yet I see the same writing happening for SGU. Just sayin. But I did like the character moments enough to give it a 8/10. It truly is very hard to top the last 2 eps, imo
                        sigpic

Comment

Holy cow!! I just checked SGU on Hulu and so far all the people have reviewed the episode have given it at least 4 stars!! Thats rare for hulu. Ive seen so much negativity there, even in the comment section of popular episodes such as divided and space. Thats really good news!!
                          sigpic

Comment

I think it's great they are keeping some mystery and not explaing everything. It makes it more "real". I guess it's a change from SG-1 and SGA where some characters were like gods and had the answer to anything.

However, a twist on the planet with those who chose to remain there would have been cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              Yeah the ep did seem like it was missing something, and it seemed very predictable. Folks make comments about SG-1 and SGA's writing and yet I see the same writing happening for SGU. Just sayin. But I did like the character moments enough to give it a 8/10. It truly is very hard to top the last 2 eps, imo
                              I have a feeling Incursion will top those two eps!

Really? You must have seriously liked Space and Divided to say an 8/10 episode doesn't come close to beating Space and Divided. I mean I loved Space, but I actually enjoyed faith more than Divided, but not as much as Space.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                                When it comes to writing...Well, the writers have proven with SG1 and SGA that they can do pretty much everything at a high quality. It's just that the nature of those shows often required too many plot devices, contrivances and easy resolutions and an over-reliance on humor. But they could do serious drama and serious action too.

Comment

Working...
                                X