This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
    I think the only reason characters like Carter were able to solve all the problems they did is because the writers said so. SG1 and SGA had a very specific formula. One that allowed for their heroes to make unbelievable breakthroughs in about five seconds, when it would have taken most people five years.
    I've been wondering if anyone would notice that. Carter, Daniel, McKay and the rest are not real people with real skills, they are just artifacts of writers trying to tell an entertaining story so everything the do and can do is just because a writer has decided that's what's needed for the story they are trying to tell.

Which is why the whole line of discussion(s) of "just use the LRC to put McKay on the ship and he'll have them home in an hour" is ridiculous. If the writer wants them home in an hour than Chloe could suddenly translate and decode Ancient ship systems. If the writer thinks the story works best with them out where they are, then it won't matter who you put out there, they won't solve the problem
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post

The whole issue of body swapping is out of hand. Apparently there are no rules or regulations at the SGC, or Homeland, or whatever they are now calling it, as Destiny folks seem to be able to travel anywhere and engage in any sort of rude, improper behaviors.

What is going to happen when all 80something of the Destiny folks start visiting friends and relatives? Does Homeland have 80 different staff members willing to swap bodies for sex, drinking, drugs, whatever? Or is there a designated staff of 10 or so who will do the "other duties as assigned"? Who is watching these people to be sure they aren't divulging state secrets to enemy countries? Who is in charge of providing birth control to the body swappers? Who was watching Eli and Chloe? (apparently no one.) I feel like I'm watching General Hospital.
      Its a bit ridiculous that people have no rule in how they use another person body. If this show tries to be realistic, it must try to do a better job. Not just look for opportunity to write crazy stories. At first, I thought they were being followed by an army representative. But now they have sexual relationship, get drunk with the other person body. Maybe soon smoking cigarettes, drugs, bungee jumping, parachute, fight in bar, DUI, RockNroll...

Somehow, I think it will be addressed. Its too much in your face.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I disagree on that the carter/daniel/mckay are simply made up writing devices. I'd say that the "just in time 1 episode fix" is but the big arc stories are not.

As far as simple practical things the fact that destiny is all in ancient and jackson is the expert on ancient language so it would make obvious sense to bring him in to break an ancient code.

As far as carter... again... expert on asguard technology, interstellar travel and gate technology.

You could write them out for the 1 day fix as this being completly different design, etc but to not even bring them in doesn't make sense to me.

That's why I liked this episode bringing in third party scientist with a plan because the idea that it's the "Wrong people wrong place" yet earth keeps them as the only ones actually trying to fix it makes no sense.

Tim

Comment

SGU is playing from a different rule book. If Carter was on the Destiny instead of Rush, she would not be capable of doing anything more than Rush was at this point in the series, because that would just cancel out the drama they're going for with the story.
          And honestly, I wouldn't be watching at all if Carter was on Destiny. It would be too same old same old watching Little Miss Fixit do her schtick.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
            And honestly, I wouldn't be watching at all if Carter was on Destiny. It would be too same old same old watching Little Miss Fixit do her schtick.
            Now its different. Eli has been able to calculate the data for a slingslot manoeuver in 30 seconds. I'm not sure they even know how the shuttle weight. I'm still surprised scott can perfectly pilot the thing. Rush has been able to sabotage the stargate somehow without earth scientist realizing it. Its magic behind the screen. We just don't know how (also known as dumbed down). Without forgetting the lime test and the water analysis equipment which everybody seem to have transported in their luggage in case they had to turn to survival mode...on the Icarus base we need to believe. In fact I even have a water analyser right here over the kitchen counter just in case. You never know with the city water. Thank god the ancient left us at least 2 space suits. It was very kind. Same as the ship magically go the Lime planet, then to the water planet just in time. Not bad for intruders which don't even have the code to activate the control. Next stop... food planet. Don't worry we wont see any cannibalism on the Destiny. Also big thanks for them to giving alien intruders access to the weapons control. That way we won't need a Carter to bypass the control system. Also big thanks to the ice planet for having another quake so Scott could be magically liberated from the mighty hole. 1 quake stuck, 2 quake unstuck. Wait. We're only at episode 7. My point. Its TV. Universe is no different.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              Don't worry we wont see any cannibalism on the Destiny.
              I don't think we'll be seeing it either, if only because Carlyle's already been there, done that in Ravenous.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                I don't think we'll be seeing it either, if only because Carlyle's already been there, done that in Ravenous.
                Well maybe I'm wrong and the Destiny won't bring them to the food planet and they will effectively need to turn to cannibalism. I can see it form here.

Rush:"First, we need to start eating the most useless people to our survival until we find a food planet. I propose we cook Chloe first. She's a fine young woman and we all like her. But we must always consider the greater good first."

Now THAT would be dark and gritty.

Comment

Well maybe I'm wrong and the Destiny won't bring them to the food planet and they will effectively need to turn to cannibalism. I can see it form here.

Rush:"First, we need to start eating the most useless people to our survival until we find a food planet. I propose we cook Chloe first. She's a fine young woman and we all like her. But we must always consider the greater good first."

And honestly, I can hear that dulcet Scottish voice saying it.

Comment

Universe is no different.
                    Amen.

Well, there are a few small differences now... On Destiny the people who are just a few days into their dilemma, are hungry, and smelly, now just screw for fun the first warm body they find... oh, and they get to magically travel back to Earth to use other peoples' body for sex too.

So there is a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
                      I disagree on that the carter/daniel/mckay are simply made up writing devices. I'd say that the "just in time 1 episode fix" is but the big arc stories are not.

As far as simple practical things the fact that destiny is all in ancient and jackson is the expert on ancient language so it would make obvious sense to bring him in to break an ancient code.

As far as carter... again... expert on asguard technology, interstellar travel and gate technology.

You could write them out for the 1 day fix as this being completly different design, etc but to not even bring them in doesn't make sense to me.

That's why I liked this episode bringing in third party scientist with a plan because the idea that it's the "Wrong people wrong place" yet earth keeps them as the only ones actually trying to fix it makes no sense.

Tim
                      That's when we see the limits of a TV Show, that is dependent on the availability of the actors, and doesn't follow the logic of real life.
                      If the events of SGU were occuring in another SG1 movie instead of this series, the writers would have found a good excuse to say that only Daniel Jackson was qualified to be there, and Samantha Carter as well...

It reminds me of the Star Trek TNG movies, that took place after the crew of the Enterprise was dismantled, they always found an excuse to re-unite the old team. "oh Worf, you're not on DS9 anymore?"...

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                        That's when we see the limits of a TV Show, that is dependent on the availability of the actors, and doesn't follow the logic of real life.
                        If the events of SGU were occuring in another SG1 movie instead of this series, the writers would have found a good excuse to say that only Daniel Jackson was qualified to be there, and Samantha Carter as well...

It reminds me of the Star Trek TNG movies, that took place after the crew of the Enterprise was dismantled, they always found an excuse to re-unite the old team. "oh Worf, you're not on DS9 anymore?"...
                        Exactly. It doesn't matter how amazing Carter and McKay are at what they do. If the writers don't want them to fix the ship yet, they will not fix the ship yet. There will always be a contrivance that stands in the way until the writers are ready for that obstacle to be lifted, and no amount of "logic" is going to prevent them from achieving the dramatic effect they intended when they came up with the story.

The only thing that we had left to ask as far as "logic" goes was: Why don't they get experts to use the stones and help? This episode answered that question. And Carter and McKay have jobs of their own and may not be around for the very small amount of time that we've even been on the Destiny, so it's not a "plothole" as some people have suggested.

But again, even if they were, they would not solve the problem until the writers allowed them to. And they're obviously not ready for that to happen because it hasn't yet.

Comment

Somehow I doubt SyFy would allow that
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

there were a lot of good scenes between Rush (Carlyle) and Telford (Phillips) in this episode. which i thought the actors did a very good job.

Comment

Exactly. It doesn't matter how amazing Carter and McKay are at what they do. If the writers don't want them to fix the ship yet, they will not fix the ship yet. There will always be a contrivance that stands in the way until the writers are ready for that obstacle to be lifted, and no amount of "logic" is going to prevent them from achieving the dramatic effect they intended when they came up with the story.

The only thing that we had left to ask as far as "logic" goes was: Why don't they get experts to use the stones and help? This episode answered that question. And Carter and McKay have jobs of their own and may not be around for the very small amount of time that we've even been on the Destiny, so it's not a "plothole" as some people have suggested.

But again, even if they were, they would not solve the problem until the writers allowed them to. And they're obviously not ready for that to happen because it hasn't yet.
                              I agree with your point that all of fiction is a contrivance and the story will proceed at the pace and direction the writers intend. I would also add that most fiction will not hold up if subjected to close scrutiny - that is why it is called fiction, by definition: it was not true at the time of its writing.

I think the problem most Stargate franchise fans are having with SGU is that it is completely different than its previous two incarnations. Many feel it doesn't follow the rules of the Stargate Universe that they are use to. All the characters are by design much more flawed and less competent and there is much more relationship/romantic drama involved i.e., it is soapier.

Everyone has different tastes as to how much soapiness they like in a show. I think most Sci-Fi purists tend to group toward the less is better end of the spectrum. For me personally, a little soap can be o.k. if it is well written and realistic. I tend to avoid overly soapy shows because I find them too one-dimensional and melodramatic, but many others like them – whatever floats your boat.

SGU is going to need to find enough of a viewer niche to keep it on the air.

Does anyone know how its ratings have been? Are they comparable to the early episodes of SGA?

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                                ! How can they be so cool about that, and accept it without freaking out, they didn't have knowledge of stargate and alien tech, like the military personnel... "Who are you?" - "I'm Chloe, but I am in fact in another galaxy, Mum, and I'm borrowing this body to talk to you" - "Oh, Ok"... For me, the fast acceptance of the stone technology by those civilians (Chloe's mum, Young's wife) is too much to swallow.
                                At least, with Eli, we can see that he really think his mum will not believe the truth. (too much star trek for her!). It's more realistic.
                                I think with chloe's mom she was more understanding cause she was let into what was going on especially after dad went there as well. AS for Young's wife, she knew he was going somewhere.

After that, I wished Eli would have left him a massive hangover.
                                Did Eli know of his comments?

Comment

Working...
                                X