This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
    You missed my point. The sciency geeky stuff is not THE sci-fi.
    defiantly isn't the "sy fy" *shudder* channel these days

traditionally science fiction uses fictional based allegory to explore the human condition. I consider Babylon 5 to have been one of the best shows to illustrate this..they had 'real', flawed characters, while exploring some of the great science fiction concepts and even morality on a macro level, to me that was science fiction TV at its greatest.

as for technobable, i think some people forget there is a difference between real nonsense "shift the polarity or else the singularity will explode" and legitimate theoritical science "say: degrading of the magnetic fields containing antimatter - for TNG" one statement says nothing about nothing, and the other has a basis on theory behind (in this case) antimatter.

one of the biggest cop outs for me personally is the trend for writers to go lazy and just have things "because they are"

*edit: Eternal Density bought the point forward far better than I did! sci-fi is sci-fi if u can take the humans out of it and still get a message about humanity! nice!

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
      The final scene at Mrs. Young's door certainly was provocative. Personally, I think it would be doubtful that he could fool her into thinking he was Young. There's more to identity than physical appearance. I suspect the writers have something else up their sleaves then what most people have been thinking.
      You know it's possible that he's just going to get intel.

Young opened up to her about barely keeping it together. Along with this and the sexual romp in another man's body-Telford may go for a court martial.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
        People keep saying (and me included) that Rush lacks people skills but does he? People also keep saying that he's a great manipulator. Surely someone who can manipulate people doesn't lack people skills but rather simply doesn't care about them.
        Oh, I think he does ok...I have a theory that the guy may have been abused as a child. That's why he doesn't particularly care for the military mentality. He finds it brutal and he doesn't respond to that very well.

That said...I think when people accept him for who he is-they do fine.

Comment

After rewatching the episode a little closer, I'm not so sure these "guest scientists" truly understood the situation. As evidenced by the one that got Eli's body. "Ugh, can I get a change of clothes?". This was the same scientist that was so insistent about the plan. Obviously this guy really had no clue how dire of a situation they were in. After that, I wished Eli would have left him a massive hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff-B View Post
            After rewatching the episode a little closer, I'm not so sure these "guest scientists" truly understood the situation. As evidenced by the one that got Eli's body. "Ugh, can I get a change of clothes?". This was the same scientist that was so insistent about the plan. Obviously this guy really had no clue how dire of a situation they were in. After that, I wished Eli would have left him a massive hangover.
            I say let's face it-they weren't there to get those people home. They were there to get Telford's crew on board.

I've got a sneaky feeling that the bald headed guy and a few others may have had suspicions about what they were going to be gating to with the ninth chevron. But that's just my paranoia.

Comment

another amazing episode. This series is defintely off to a great start. Man do I hate Telford and as to the last scene my spidey sense says he's pretending to be Young and if he is...... God help him when young finds out.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                another amazing episode. This series is defintely off to a great start. Man do I hate Telford and as to the last scene my spidey sense says he's pretending to be Young and if he is...... God help him when young finds out.
                Your spidey sense has been wrong before. Just saying
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Your spidey sense has been wrong before. Just saying
                  And your's never has right? However story wise it makes the most sense.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

My take on the episode Earth.

First I want to say that this show is much different that the prior two incarnations. In past series, Stargate’s leaders have had the highest integrity and were fully trusted by all those under their command. Hammond, O’Neil, Weir, Carter could be counted on to be fair and make decisions that were in the best interests of the group. In Stargate Universe we have Dr. Rush who has his own agenda. His obsession with the Icarus Project unnecessarily stranded 80 plus people on the Destiny. As a result his integrity is in question and he is not fully trusted. It is not clear whether he will help or hinder the group’s efforts to return to Earth.

I have read a number of opinions on whether Scott or O’Neil have behaved appropriately. My opinion of Scott is that he has. He was given a direct order to implement the IOA’s rescue plan. In his judgment he believed the plan premature and too dangerous. Whether you agree with his judgment or not it took tremendous courage to stand up to O’Neil and military command. Doing so upon return to Earth, could at the very least ruin his career and at the worst land him in prison for the rest of his life. Not many officers would have had the integrity and courage to do what they thought were right in the face of such severe consequences.

My opinion of O’Neil is that his integrity has been tarnished. The old Jack O’Neil would never have done what he did, even with the Presidential pressure he was under. To immediately and covertly replace Scott with Talford by hijacking his body was very wrong. IMO, the situation on Destiny was not dire enough to require an action that immediate. He could have taken a few days to send over experts, include Rush in the discussions and hash out the plan details. Scott’s concerns for the safety of Destiny’s and her crew were reasonable and valid and should have been respected even if Earth didn’t fully share them. Given Jack’s history of insubordination he should certainly have understand and respected Scott’s reluctance to immediately follow an order that he wasn’t yet confident in. No one on Earth was going to be in danger if the rescue plan goes bad. There were also emotional concerns to consider as well. Covertly removing Scott and replacing him with Telford would likely alienate the crew if the rescue plan fails. And once their trust of Earth has been put in question there is not a whole lot Stargate command can do to Destiny if they decide to no longer cooperate - as evidenced by Scott’s demeanor in their last briefing.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                      People keep saying (and me included) that Rush lacks people skills but does he? People also keep saying that he's a great manipulator. Surely someone who can manipulate people doesn't lack people skills but rather simply doesn't care about them.
                      I believe when I said that I was thinking about Rush's speech to the people after the deception. "I'm sorry to have to tell you that we will not be going home. {pause as if realizing that wasn't the best way to put it} At least not today." If someone was trying to calm people down and make people feel better, he did not take the right tone in the entire speech. A politician, he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        More like character backstory/foundation for Eli and Chloe
                        I get that. But I'd like some good adult drama. Not bad teen, soap opera type drama.

Originally posted by Alder View Post

On the other hand - lovely outside shots of the Destiny, both general ones and when firing the weapons. I so want to see/know more about that ship. And the gate always good...

...um...every scene involving Rush. Even if he is a sneaky wee midden.
                        Yes, absolutely. I very much enjoy the greyness of his character. I even feel some sympathy for Eli. I want to see more of the ship, of people ON the ship.

They go back to earth and roam around freely is not at all believable. And I'm struggling to get past it. There should be incredible security surrounding this botched mission. I'd have been happier if their requests to talk to their families because they may not be coming home was denied for reasons of planetary security - and the fallout with the Earth command because of it.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I believe when I said that I was thinking about Rush's speech to the people after the deception. "I'm sorry to have to tell you that we will not be going home. {pause as if realizing that wasn't the best way to put it} At least not today." If someone was trying to calm people down and make people feel better, he did not take the right tone in the entire speech. A politician, he is not.
                          His speech to Chloe after her dad's death was...painful.
                          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Which kind of backs up my point really.

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                            His speech to Chloe after her dad's death was...painful.
                            Deeply painful but he was trying his best ...

Comment

I loved Rush's ending speech It was a moment of awesome, though I feel he'll eventually top that by a large degree and achieve a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
                              Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              I get that. But I'd like some good adult drama. Not bad teen, soap opera type drama.
                              I never saw any teens. And I don't think teens are supposed to be getting drunk like that...
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
                                Also bringing the scientist on board made sense and imho would of been done from day 1 with Daniel and Carter to help in ancient translation/tech stuff.
                                I think the only reason characters like Carter were able to solve all the problems they did is because the writers said so. SG1 and SGA had a very specific formula. One that allowed for their heroes to make unbelievable breakthroughs in about five seconds, when it would have taken most people five years.

SGU is playing from a different rule book. If Carter was on the Destiny instead of Rush, she would not be capable of doing anything more than Rush was at this point in the series, because that would just cancel out the drama they're going for with the story.

I'm not saying they're any less smart. I'm saying the situation would not be any easier for any of the superheroes of SG1/SGA if they were placed onto the Destiny, unless the writers decided to set up a scenario for them to play out in which they do actually succeed. Which they wouldn't have for these first few episodes. Because there would be no dramatic point to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X